MMA Betting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MMA Betting

Startinga new MMA thread, the last ones has drifted off a bit.
    I haven't back a much lately, but I think there some good bets comign up.

UFC Live: Cain Velasquez v Junior Dos Santos

Cannot wait for this event. The heavyweight championship live on free TV

Lots of undercard fights here. so I'll only ha ve a few bets.

Ben Henderson v Clay guida
    This should be a brawl. Guida is dangerous, the guy is lioterally captain caveman. But ?Bendo takes this on skill. My prediction is by decision. But TKO is availible at 12/1 on William hill. That's huge!

Bets
    Henderson to win. 3pts @ 1.41
    Henderson by TKO/KO. 1pts @ 12/1 (i've no WH account, anybody help me out?)

Main Event
    Velasquez v JDS
    Neither of these guys are massive HW, each is about 245lbs. But, but these are the new breed of technical HWs. Cain the power punching striker with great wrestling. The only man i've seen to control Brock, and then take him down. Serious power. And amazing cardio.
    JDS, the most technical HW striker i've seen. He took carwin apart with strikes, and carwin is a big hitter with good cardio. JDS outclassed him.
    I'd love a 5 round superfight here. They both have the cardio to bang for 5 rounds. But its not going to happen. Cain to stalk in rd 1 and get the TKO in rd 2.

Bets:
    Cain to win. 5pts @ 1.65
    Cain to win by TKO. 2pts @ 2.24

Mellor, will this be shown on espn as usual? What about the undercard, can this be seen on FB? Have to agree with both predictions there. Henderson was so impressive against Miller and can see him beating Guida but I do think it will go the distance. Would be interested in seeing your predictions for the other fights if you wouldnt mind posting them.

Comment

Its not on ESPN as the UFC have a new 7 year deal with Fox. Luckily Setanta Ireland are showing the main event live so if you have UPC tv your ok, its just the main event though. I read all the undercard bouts incl main event are on ufc facebook.

Yeah should be a cracker, looking forward to it.

Comment

ye setanta ireland at 2am to stop it clashing with the pacquaio fight

pacquaio, valasquez double please

Comment

Valasquez did not last long, 64 seconds!

I saw dead cert man came back and had 25k on the valasquez and pacquaio double, poor lad

Comment

JDS, wow, just wow

Comment

Got into following the big fights on UFC nearly a year ago and love it but this result makes a bit of a mickey out of the thing. I'll take it with a pinch of salt in future.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                Got into following the big fights on UFC nearly a year ago and love it but this result makes a bit of a mickey out of the thing. I'll take it with a pinch of salt in future.
                ?

Comment

Any value in Lesnar @ 7/5?

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                    Any value in Lesnar @ 7/5?
                    Definitely not!!!overeem gonna make him cry like a little girl

Comment

Hope Brock mangles him.
                      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                      I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                      None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Is this brocs 1st fight back after injury? and that surgery having half his intestines etc removed? when is it on?

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                          I'm not sure what you're getting at here
                          Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                          Definitely not!!!overeem gonna make him cry like a little girl
                          Overeem is seriously over-rated. He has great kickboxing but he has serious holes in his grapling.
                          He hasn't fought a high level of opponent imo, he fought high level guys at LHW, but lost most of the time. At HW he has fought Strikeforce cans. Rogers, Duffee, Werdum.
                          Werdum is good at times, I think he is back in the UFC.
                          I'm not saying Overeem is bad, i'm saying he hasn't been tested yet. A fully brock wins by ground and pound. It comes down to his recovery. I'll wait for a look at his training before I predict.
                          Originally posted by davidadams View Post
                          Is this brocs 1st fight back after injury? and that surgery having half his intestines etc removed? when is it on?
                          yeah first fight in 14 months and the first after surgery.
                          Its not on until on in Dec 30.
                          Before that there is Shogun v Henderson, the ultimate finale and Jones v Machida

Comment

Agreed,Overeem really is over rated but his K1 back round could be a problem for lesner.Its not that Brock doesnt have a chin, he's just not a natural fighter and I think if he gets caught early it could be the end of Brock for good.
                            That said I can just as easy see Lesner take Overreem to the ground and destroy him.

Comment

Lesnar has 90s to win this fight by bringing it to the ground. After that he's toast. You are all way overestimating Lesnar who is fuckin useless standing. Overeem gonna be all over im

Comment

Originally posted by Hatedajacks View Post
                                Agreed,Overeem really is over rated but his K1 back round could be a problem for lesner.Its not that Brock doesnt have a chin, he's just not a natural fighter and I think if he gets caught early it could be the end of Brock for good.
                                That said I can just as easy see Lesner take Overreem to the ground and destroy him.
                                Yeah, that's it really. The two are opposites really
                                Brock hasn't got significant contact sparring experience. His background is collegiate wrestling.
                                Overeem hasn't got significant grappling experience. He's ex-K1.

Where it takes place decides who wins. If Overeem can keep range he wins via strikes. If Lesnar closes the range he takes him down and wins. A huge factor for me is that Lesnar's size and power could negates Overeems clinch. If he trys to, Lesnar dumps him on the mat and he leaves him pretty bloody.

I'm leaning towards Lesnar, on the condition that he has recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                  Lesnar has 90s to win this fight by bringing it to the ground. After that he's toast. You are all way overestimating Lesnar who is fuckin useless standing. Overeem gonna be all over im
                                  I agree his stand up is shite. I doubt he has improved a huge amount either. But I'm not suggesting Brock does anything standing up. Overeem likes to clinch and kickbox Muay Thai style. That's not a good idea vrs a bigger powerful wrestler. So a huge part of his style is out of his arsenal. Maybe his height advantage will still allow him to pull it off. But I'd be cautious if I was him.

Anyway, the fight is 6 weeks off. There are so many great fights before that.

Comment

Any views on tonights fight mellor. Want to do a small accumulator and your predictions are normally spot on

Comment

Sorry alocon, didn't see this until now.

I had some MMA picks in a different thread.
                                      Ok, predicted torres, bader, and McDonald in an accum, had henderson, silva and tibau in singles but got greedy and bet on the method of winning which let me down.
                                      Was happy to takw 11/1 on some of those.

I'll try remember to get some up here for the next event

Edit:
                                      for anyone watching TUF 14, Im predicting TJ Dilliashaw to win the the 135 group and Diego to win the 145 spot. Both of bispings fighters. Diego hasn't even had his second fight but he looks like an animal.

Comment

No worries, I backed silva, faber and shogun. Fell asleep on the couch this morning right before it at about half 4 woke up at 10. Checked paddys, bet didnt come in. Missed the best fight of the night. Disaster

Comment

Hendo Shogun fight. Seriously one of the best of the year, maybe alltime

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                            http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Dan_...024583&tid=100

Hendo Shogun fight. Seriously one of the best of the year, maybe alltime
                                            was so good, best fight i think iv seen. Wanderlei fight was ok too

Comment

The Ultimate Finale

*SPOILERS FOR THE FINAL EPISODE OF SEASON 14 BELOW

Bantumweight Final
                                              T.J. Dillashaw vs. John Dodson (13/8 PP)

TJ has solid wrestling, and looks to be a cautious fighter. Very much like Jon Fitch. 1/2 Stan James, 4/9 Paddy Power.
                                              Dodson is small, fast and from his training I've seen, hard to hold on to. Bedford wrote off his power as he was smaller, which he is retarded. He's the same weight, so has power should be there. And speed makes up for reach. 13/8 PaddyPower

TJ is prob the more complete fighter, and deserves to be favourite. But Dodson is going out there to win via TKO. I think TJ will win by holdign him on the ground and doing little damage. But based on the odds, Dodson is the value pick imo.

Featherweight Final
                                              Dennis Bermudez v Diego Brandao
                                              Here come the fireworks.
                                              Bermudez has shown he is rounded. Two wins by TKO and then he subbed Akira who is the better striker. However, Akira had shit sub defence so I don'trate that sub too well.
                                              Brandao has been the msot impressive fighter on the show in years. Three knock-out wins. and they were clean KOs not TKO. 2 fights over in the first minute. This guy has serious power, and is pure agression. His aggression is his only flaw, which may see him rush in and get caught. But i imagine thats been cleared in the months between the show and tonight.

Diego at 1/3 is free money. I've touted him for the title since the start.

Coaches Match
                                              Michael Bisping vrs Jason Miller

Bisping is a TUF adn UFC vet. He is the msot hated man is the UFC. 8/15 Best price on /boyles and PP.
                                              Jason is a cocky arsehole. He hasn't fought too many high level guys. 6/4 most palces, 7/4 on skybet.

I'm overlooking bispings personality and thinking he'll out box Miller. Not expecting a great fight. i'll win it 29/28 on the scroe card.

Bisping to win by decision. 8/15 win. By Dec 2/1

Comment

went on to boyles there to place a few bets, their taking bets for silva Vs st pierre on 31st Dec? Is that confirmed? cant find anything on youtube or google about it

Comment

Nah, its not confirmed. Not even close.
                                                  I can't get Boyles open, but it prob says 31st Dec 2012 (or its there ages). It basically means that bet stands if they fight by then.

They are always offering Floyd v Pacquio Dec 31st

Comment

Nah, its not confirmed. Not even close.
                                                    I can't get Boyles open, but it prob says 31st Dec 2012 (or its there ages). It basically means that bet stands if they fight by then.

They are always offering Floyd v Pacquio Dec 31st
                                                    bastards, i really really got my hopes up there, frantically googling and looking for press conferences on youtube haha

Comment

Ship ship

Dodson won too so picks were 3 for 3
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

Bet you were sweating the Brandao wager when he went down. Super submission

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                          Bet you were sweating the Brandao wager when he went down. Super submission
                                                          I didn't get to see it live, and somebody told me the result of that fight in the pub. Wankers

I posted this on the boards TUF14 thread before the fight.
                                                          And I wouldn't be concerned about him getting taken down, he's a BJJ black belt

Comment

Wow didn't realise that Bisping was only 1/2. That was always going to be such a mismatch of a fight. Didn't realise it was live on FX. I had TUF on series record and didn't realise it recorded this so watched it tonight while playing some poker.

Bermudas was defo the better technical fighter, but that was one of the best executed submissions i've ever seen by Diego. Bisping just battered Miller. His pride kept him on his feet and in that fight but it was like target practice for Bisping

Comment

*Another blatent after time brag*

In boxing, i also had Cotto to win, and fight to not go the distance.
                                                              Both winners

Comment

Decent card last night, didnt think Jones looked great but got it done. The Frank Mir ending was nuts, i'd say that hurt

Comment

I think Jones was just cautious in the first. rigthly so.
                                                                  I the break i said that the two are on par with striking, Jones needs to close the distance and use his strength.
                                                                  The standing guillotine showed some strength.

Mir finish was class. I've always said his BJJ was underrated. He got rocked and was still able to pull off some very slick stuff. The first and only person to sub Big Nog is a massive achievement.

Comment

UFC 144 - JAPAN

Live from Japan this Saturday, UFC: Edgar vs Henderson.

UFC 144 -JAPAN

The UFC returns to Japan for the first time in over 11 years. The Japanese are MMA crazy (generally crazy about everything) and they are rewarded with the best card in recent times. Massive massive card, with 12 fights total, 7 on the main card. Expect this to run for 4 hours. I'm just goign to discuss the main card here as its just too big and undercard betting isnt availible everywhere.

Lightweight Championship bout: Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Ben Henderson

What needs to be said about Frankie "The Answer". He gave us 2 of the top 5 fights of last year both verses a bigger and stronger Gray Maynard, in both he got hammered early and in both he should huge heart and phenomenal recover to claw back a draw in the first and get the KO in the second. This is from a guy that undersized at LW. He was cut from TUF for being too small for a LW. He is a genuine featherweight who is cleanign up the division, and imo top 3 pound for pound.
                                                                    Ben Henderson, ex-WEC champ, would of gotten an immediate shot after the merger if it wasn't for the Pettis superkick (plus gray rematch). But he's earned it comprehensively beating Guida, beat Miller also - two top guys. I genuinely think Bendo is top 3 in the LW division, but he didn't finish those guys inside 3 and Frankie will take this to 5 if he needs too. I don't see how he can stop Frankie, and come round 4 Frankie will run through him. Hendersons only chance is a sub early, he is a BJJ brown belt but Frankie is a NCAA Div 1 wrestler, and has never been sub'd - he refused to tap to Tyson Griffin's knee bar and held on for the bell.
                                                                    Expect fireworks, but fill your boots with Frankie. 9/10 is availible.

Light Heavyweight bout: Rampage Jackson vs. Ryan Bader
                                                                    another massive matchup and potentially a main event on a lesser card. A wins Bader is coming off a bad streak, a loss to Bones Jones, his career first (and nothing to fault him over) and then faling into a lucky sub by Ortiz. He got the quick KO in a fight to break his streak and this is his first challange. You never know if Rampage will show up, he bets Machida and Hammil, but doesn't impress then loses to Jones, and prob looks better. But this is Japan, his Pride days were his best and if Pride Rampage shows up Bader is going to suffer his first KO. Bader is a GnP fighter, and he knows not to bang with Rampage. He might grind on a boring win, but I'm hoping Rampage uses his power stay off the ground. I'm not sure if I'll touch this one. Pretty tightly priced,
                                                                    I'm going with Rampage, and i predict he'll come out to the Pride theme song.

Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo
                                                                    Hunt is a lovable vetern, Kongo is an annoying Frenchman.
                                                                    Hunt has a concrete chin, Kongo had proved he does too. Kongo hits hard, he won't stop Hunt, Hunt will certainly test Kongo, who was rocked twice verses Barry. Hunt may hand hin his first KO. Kongo will look to drag it over 3 rounds for a decision. I expect Hunt to go for the early KO or he will get out pointed.

I think Kongo will win, even though I don't want him too. I wouldn't back him at 1/3 either. If Hunt wins it will be KO of the night, which is the only bet I'm considering.

Welterweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Jake Shields
                                                                    Shields came in to the UFC billed as the next contender. He struggled past Kampman, and was poor against GSP. He was then KO'd early. Akiyama is a gatekeeper, fed to Bisping to get him back on the rise. The same is happening here to protect their investment.
                                                                    Shields to win via some of his american jiu jitsu and GnP. 2/5 for the win, very thin imo

Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
                                                                    another Japanese star on the card in Okami. A genuine top 5 MW, but like many others, he wins enough to fight Anderson, and then Anderson shows he is on another level. Boetsch is a good fighter, but Okami is taking this one at home.
                                                                    Okami at 4/11, imo via decision at 3/5 (betfair)

Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettisvs. Joe Lauzon
                                                                    Pettis has amazing kick boxing and is a blackbelt in BJJ. Lauzon has incredible BJJ and its shocking that he is still a purple belt (2 ranks before black). He is one of those guys who has BJJ tailored for MMA. A rank in Gi means nothign when it comes to Joe.
                                                                    Joe has been killign guys on the ground, he has proven time anf time again that you don't take him lightly, and you do not go near the mat. His striking is average though. Pettis is a top tier striker, the superkick via Bendo was epic stuff, and has submitted many guys easily. Expect to see that 3 or 4 times in the highlights. He'll he is defo good enough to submit Lauzon. IMO he should keep it striking to be safe and a TKO in the 3rd is on the cards. I think TKO is better value than a sub (evens on betfair)
                                                                    Pettis @ 2/5 and via TKO @ 3/1 (betfair)

In other fights, expect Hioki, Gomi and Yamamoto to win for Japan also.
                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 23-02-12, 00:41.

Comment

Nice post Mellor, the only one I'd disagree with is the ME Hugely impressed with Henderson and can see him winning this one. 2 great fighters tho so should be a cracker.

Also wonder if there is a market on Rampage landing a slam in front of the home crowd he'll be trying to impress

Comment

Looking forward to main event.If u pushed me I would agree with Frankie but big fan of henderson. Almost guaranteed to be great fight which is really needed as alot of poor events recently.

Wouldnt touch pettis at that price.Dont think his head has been right last year or so although obviously top class fighter.Lauzon at 9/4 is tempting me.

Must win fight for both Jackson and Bader. Would favour Jackson just aswell.

Comment

Nice post Mellor, the only one I'd disagree with is the ME Hugely impressed with Henderson and can see him winning this one. 2 great fighters tho so should be a cracker.

Also wonder if there is a market on Rampage landing a slam in front of the home crowd he'll be trying to impress
                                                                          ye i wudnt back against henderson neither,quality fighter, goin to b a great fight

Comment

I really rate Bendo, I just have massvie respect for Edgar and his work rate. Henderson look sloppy in the 3rd verses Pettis, the only reason THAT kick landed. But edgar in the 4th vrs Maynard look great. Edgar TKO in the 4th or 5th imo

Comment

#39
                                                                              Nice post Mellor. Really looking forward to this card. Stacked from top to bottom with exciting fights.

Agree with most of what you have said. Find it hard to separate Edgar and Ben so will prob stay away from it. If I had to pick I'd edge towards Edgar at that price. Defo wouldn't be filling my boots with it though.

I'll be waiting to see Rampage on the scales before putting him on my betslip. If he looks healthy and not too drained I'll be backing him for the ko in the hope that he has done what he has claimed in camp and worked very hard on his wrestling to keep this on the feet.

Think I will be backing Kongo by ko/tko v Hunt. I have respect for hunts chin but a confident Kongo is dangerous and he is coming into this on the back of 2 good wins. I fancy him in this one.

Have nothing different to offer from your other pics although I would like to see Akaiyama win for sentimenal purposes . Can't see him getting it done though. Should be a great night of fights.

Comment

#40
                                                                                One last prediction,
                                                                                A new ring girl after Chandella was cut during the week (for undisclosed porn appearances)

My money is on Maria Kamiyama to keep the locals happy

Comment

#41
                                                                                  One last prediction,
                                                                                  A new ring girl after Chandella was cut during the week (for undisclosed porn appearances)

I shall be investigating this...

Comment

#42
                                                                                    One last prediction,

So if she disclosed it, they would have kept her. Silly girl!

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Pretty sure they were looking for reason to get rid of her anyhow.She wasnt proving very popular with the audience although seemingly the nicest out of them.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                        So if she disclosed it, they would have kept her. Silly girl!
                                                                                        It's hard to say, if they knew about it before they signed her they cold of bought the image rights to protect their assets.
                                                                                        But saying nothing means the other website has leverage with the images so easier to distance themselves.
                                                                                        I don't think nudity itself is an issue, as as least two of the others have done playboy while they were UFC girls. If anything it promotes the brand.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          It's hard to say, if they knew about it before they signed her they cold of bought the image rights to protect their assets.
                                                                                          But saying nothing means the other website has leverage with the images so easier to distance themselves.
                                                                                          I don't think nudity itself is an issue, as as least two of the others have done playboy while they were UFC girls. If anything it promotes the brand.
                                                                                          Arianny celeste is the best of them, her playboy pics are deadly aswell

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by Charlie Harper View Post
                                                                                            Arianny celeste is the best of them, her playboy pics are deadly aswell
                                                                                            I have alot of "investigating" to do tonight

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Originally posted by alocon View Post
                                                                                              I have alot of "investigating" to do tonight
                                                                                              Britany Palmer has done it, as has Rachelle Leah

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Rampage missed weight by 6lbs
                                                                                                Normally missed weight means a hard cut and performance suffers
                                                                                                But rampage announced 6lbs with a few hours to go. So I think he pull out of the cut to stay competitive.
                                                                                                I'm not betting on this one

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Just watched it all now, really really good card apart from Rampage Bader fight. Henderson is an absolute beast

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Just watched it all now, really really good card apart from Rampage Bader fight. Henderson is an absolute beast
                                                                                                    Great card.
                                                                                                    Gutten about the ME. I ned to watch it again without a big bet on it as I had Frankie winning rounds 1, 2 (despite the kick) and 5. It's splitting a lot of people in the MMA world. Most of my other predictions were on target. Delight for Hunt.

Dana thinks Frankie won, but wants him to step down. Aldo Edgar is the best fight at 145. But a bad match up for Frankie. At the same time, Frankie has shown he can wrestler with bigger guys, Aldo'ss never been man-hjandled before.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Great card.
                                                                                                      Gutten about the ME. I ned to watch it again without a big bet on it as I had Frankie winning rounds 1, 2 (despite the kick) and 5. It's splitting a lot of people in the MMA world. Most of my other predictions were on target. Delight for Hunt.

Dana thinks Frankie won, but wants him to step down. Aldo Edgar is the best fight at 145. But a bad match up for Frankie. At the same time, Frankie has shown he can wrestler with bigger guys, Aldo'ss never been man-hjandled before.
                                                                                                      Yeah saw all that with people saying Edgar won. I thought Henderson absolutely bossed the fight, did all the damage and was most aggressive. Then when they put up the stats Edgar was out striking him by a lot. Edgars work did no damage and Hendersons did. Not sure if that is taken into account in the judging. I'd be pretty annoyed if it starts going down the route of who is busiest fighter landing puches/kicks but they have no impact on the opponent. feel that is kind of amateur boxing stuff. Might give it another watch to see myself

I thought Hioki (sp) was unbelievably good in his fight and Okami looked excellent and then got beaten which was bit crazy but he did get smashed to pieces in the 3rd.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        I'd be pretty annoyed if it starts going down the route of who is busiest fighter landing puches/kicks but they have no impact on the opponent. feel that is kind of amateur boxing stuff
                                                                                                        Yeah. Agree completely. MMA is very hard to judge, and i don't think any formula is possible.
                                                                                                        Take Conduit v Diaz. Conduit won on strikerate for me as he was landing much more simialr punches. But look at Hunk v congo. congo was landing more, but Hunt was landing bigger shots. (Delighted for Hunt to smash him like that)

I thought Hioki (sp) was unbelievably good in his fight and Okami looked excellent and then got beaten which was bit crazy but he did get smashed to pieces in the 3rd.
                                                                                                        Hioki is handled the other guy very well. Okami was excellant in rds 1 & 2, but also massive respect for Boesch (sp?) to come out like that i nthe 3rd. Seriosu power shots.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Buying Monel Alert

Kiefer Crosbie 10/17 to beat Josh Plant at the 02 Arena Dublin Bamma on Eir Sports this evening.

4/11 pp and I think hes a 5's on shot. And 10/17 here

Previous fight
                                                                                                          Undefeated welterweight prospect Kiefer 'BDK' Crosbie faces BAMMA newcomer Waldemar 'Waldek' Cichy at BAMMA 30 in Dublin's 3 Arena.Get connected with BAMMA. ...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                          X