Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    afair ologit will tell you both overall significance and if the order is important - i.e. are 'more' false memories more related to explanatory variables.

mlogit will use a contrast value in dependent variable - probably '1', but you choose, and then whether the other two values are important individually and relatively to contrast value.

Might have misremembered the models a bit though.
    When I read it first, I thought an ordinal logistic regression either probit or logit would suffice but then I thought I'm 100% missing something here because i never heard of a zero inflated negative binomial regression so I figured Hotspur definitely knew logit or probit.

If you end up using either, I believe little difference exists except for some variance in the tails

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Glad you got sorted hotspur, I was gonna come in and explain it all to you but see Hitch got there first.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

What a world - Harryslaststand upcoming death being live tweeted by his son. https://mobile.twitter.com/Harryslaststand
                ...That's insane, kinda want to stay up and see if he pulls through...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                    #SPSSftw
                    #FuckSPSS

Test of parallel lines significant, proportional odds assumption rejected, a couple of variables the issue, could do partial proportional odds with gologit2 in Stata but don't use it, am fucked if I'm reducing it to multinominal regression, fuck it.

Comment

#FuckSPSS

Test of parallel lines significant, proportional odds assumption rejected, a couple of variables the issue, could do partial proportional odds with gologit2 in Stata but don't use it, am fucked if I'm reducing it to multinominal regression, fuck it.
                      Steady decrease in the tone of hotspur's posts since his initial request.

Expecting some kind of LL-style mega rant by the end of day.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

That is one manky day out there!

Comment

Jake The Snake Roberts on the most recent Joe Rogan podcast. Imagine that'll be a good un

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                              That is one manky day out there!
                              My commute is getting steadily worse. I'm leaving earlier than ever but I can't seem to beat the traffic. I left before 7am today and it took me 90 mins.
                              Combination of bad weather and N7 roadworks make it a nightmare.

Comment

If I present a representation of a fake news event to you and you say you remember seeing or hearing that then it's a false memory. It's actually an interesting area, especially in respect of false autobiographical memories where people are induced to falsely remember, say, a childhood hot air balloon ride.
                                The closest I got was Mandela Effect, then starting tying myself in knots if the the recollection of a false memory was more akin to suggestibility and the transference of another persons false memory being accepted as a memory . ie if we both share the same false memory is it your memory or mine?
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Zero-inflated negative binomial is actually a cool concept. Say you want to model a count of how many fish people who go to lake catch. The issue here is that your count data is capturing two types of people who go to a lake: those who go to a lake to catch fish, and those who just like going to lakes. So there will be two types of zeros in the model: from fishermen who caught no fish and those who didn't visit the lake to fish. Your zero counts in your model are then 'inflated'. So you nest a logit within a count model (negative binomial, poisson) and that models the zeros seperately, while still allowing them to play a role in estimation.

Quite useful in corporate finance - e.g. looking at acquisitions made by companies. Some will have tried to acquire but decided it wasn't a good idea, while others won't have even searched for acquisitions. So both those groups will be a zero count in your acquisitions model for different reasons.
                                  speaking of fish....
                                  Code:
                                  A Population of Fish

There is a population of fish numbering 10000 at the start of the year.

Every month 5% of the fish alive at the start of the month, excluding offspring, die during the month.

For the months of May/June/July  25% of the fish alive at the start of the month pair off and pro-create. Each pair have 3 off-spring.

Every month, 15% of newly born fish over 3 months old depart the colony.

Assumptions:
                                  Off spring do not pro-create
                                  Make any other assumptions you need if you are in doubt.

Write code to calculate the number of fish at the end of the year
                                  Every single person in here had a different answer
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                    My commute is getting steadily worse. I'm leaving earlier than ever but I can't seem to beat the traffic. I left before 7am today and it took me 90 mins.
                                    I shudder at the thoughts of having to go near the N7.

I'm reasonably OK in that once I leave Ranelagh by 7:15, I'm in work at the back of the airport by 8. Going home is similar time frame but that's based on leaving work after 6.

I left work last Thursday at 4:30 to try get a few pints in before the Ireland game and it took 90 minutes to get back home!

Comment

Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane gone. Had to happen. Should really be Delaney for the chop though.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...pany-with-fai/

Comment

Fuck that is my future right there! Where are you going from - to? I expect to be on the N7 at Johnstown at 7am going to Tallaght.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                          Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane gone. Had to happen. Should really be Delaney for the chop though.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...pany-with-fai/
                                          cometh the hour
                                          cometh the...
                                          SPOILER

Comment

some interesting options there

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                              Fuck that is my future right there! Where are you going from - to? I expect to be on the N7 at Johnstown at 7am going to Tallaght.
                                              You'll be completely fine, you're on the right side of it. I live close to Kildare Village and I work in D15, it's approx 40 mins without traffic but around 90 mins when it's bad.
                                              I drive home via Maynooth some days if I check the ETA and there is little difference between the two because I figure lower chance of traffic getting worse via Maynooth than M50/N7

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                speaking of fish....
                                                Code:
                                                A Population of Fish

There is a population of fish numbering 10000 at the start of the year.

Every month 5% of the fish alive at the start of the month, excluding offspring, die during the month.

For the months of May/June/July  25% of the fish alive at the start of the month pair off and pro-create. Each pair have 3 off-spring.

Every month, 15% of newly born fish over 3 months old depart the colony.

Assumptions:
                                                Off spring do not pro-create

Write code to calculate the number of fish at the end of the year
                                                Every single person in here had a different answer
                                                I figured I’d give this a go through excel but I can’t write code, so I’m just looking for the right answer

SPOILER
                                                Ended the year with 8,303 fish

I can’t insert a picture unfortunately.

Comment

PP have priced Troussier every time the Irish job has come up since McCarthy left. Must be a money spinner for them.

Comment

Chris Hughton should take it. Would easily double his current salary for far less work and will take him nicely to retirement. Realistically cant take Brighton much higher so would be a smart time to leave.
                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Ooof. That's a large chunk of your day wasted sitting in traffic. Feeling better about location choices myself with my 11 min rail journey/20 min cycle.

I thought there was reasonably good commuter rail links into/out of Kildare.
                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

My 40 minute walk to work along the beach just got a little bit colder too. Was raining this morning too. Shit buzz

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                        I figured I’d give this a go through excel but I can’t write code, so I’m just looking for the right answer

SPOILER
                                                        Ended the year with 8,303 fish

I can’t insert a picture unfortunately.

I got 12,749 in Excel because i have not got a clue about code either!

Comment

It will only be worse on the way into town when the N7 road works finish.
                                                          At the moment the works are operating as a filter slowing down traffic as it gets congested the whole way from Kill to the M50. Once it is finished it will only mean more gobshite lane weavers causing crashes as they run into traffic at higher speed.
                                                          On the positive side going south will improve though I expect there will still be that irrational accordion effect when its busy caused by cars slowing down dramatically when they stop seeing the road 500M ahead of them as they meet the small rise over the canal about 1500M from J9 (the ball) heading south.

Very frustrating that I'm rarely able to use the train despite it being very convenient for me

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

No much bother there, you'll meet a bit of congestion at Rathcoole and Citywest on a busy day but should never be more than 30 mins to Tallaght.

Are you moving into one of those new houses at Furness?
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bit like most bubbles but when you see the likes of Eoghan & GAB moving in you know the jig is up. UL Strewel.

Comment

9966 - also done with Excel
                                                                Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

They are just names & always the same names!

Mick; Kenny; Lennon; Hughton; Random foreign lad

Carsley if they go the Southgate route
                                                                  Paul Cook if it was 2020

That's the list

Comment

9076 in excel for me. This is great craic.

Comment

all different so far, love it

Comment

all different so far, love it
                                                                        Did you come up with an answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                          My house is in Dublin. However, I do have a salubrious Straffan address.
                                                                          Hedging FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                            Ooof. That's a large chunk of your day wasted sitting in traffic. Feeling better about location choices myself with my 11 min rail journey/20 min cycle.

I thought there was reasonably good commuter rail links into/out of Kildare.
                                                                            Kildare Town station into Heuston is 28 mins on some trains in the morning so it is very good at times. I suspect they'll push the leap card out there or maybe as far as Portlaoise as it's currently to Naas/Sallins.

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                            My 40 minute walk to work along the beach just got a little bit colder too. Was raining this morning too. Shit buzz

I always dismissed the value of living close to work/college until I was living in Ranelagh last year and then when I moved home i really noticed the difference. It's still hard to justify the rent though

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                              9076 in excel for me. This is great craic.
                                                                              How do I add a screenshot?

Comment

Did you come up with an answer?
                                                                                Code:
                                                                                9966
                                                                                8913
                                                                                6265
                                                                                12034

one of those was mine

Comment

What should be stopping me lumping on Mick ONeill?

Comment

I wrote some bad code in 5 minutes to do this, may be wrong but I'm usually right

SPOILER
                                                                                    Code:
                                                                                    # Can't have partial fish. Ignore floats, make it an int.
                                                                                    alive = 10000
                                                                                    d={}
                                                                                    for i in range (0,12):
                                                                                        if i == 4 or i == 5 or i == 6:  
                                                                                            # approximate 12.5%
                                                                                            procreate = alive/8
                                                                                            offspring = procreate*3
                                                                                            d["offspring{0}".format(i)]=offspring
                                                                                        if i > 7:
                                                                                            d['offspring4'] = d['offspring4'] - d['offspring4']/100*15        
                                                                                        if i > 8:
                                                                                            d['offspring5'] = d['offspring5'] - d['offspring5']/100*15        
                                                                                        if i > 9:
                                                                                            d['offspring6'] = d['offspring6'] - d['offspring6']/100*15      
                                                                                        dead = alive/20 
                                                                                        alive = alive - dead

for i in d:
                                                                                        alive += d[i]
                                                                                    print alive
                                                                                    10820
                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-11-18, 16:25.

Comment

I've set up an open google sheet if you want to drop in your answers and have them picked apart for mistakes.

Rufio Start of year,10000 Monthly rate of decline,0.05 May/June/July,0.125,Pair off and pro create, each pair have three offspring Every Month 15% of newly born fish >3months depart January,February,March,April,May,June,July,August,September,October,November,December End of month total,9500,902...

I've put mine in, however I did not round figures to the nearest point....

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                        I've set up an open google sheet if you want to drop in your answers and have them picked apart for mistakes.

Rufio Start of year,10000 Monthly rate of decline,0.05 May/June/July,0.125,Pair off and pro create, each pair have three offspring Every Month 15% of newly born fish >3months depart January,February,March,April,May,June,July,August,September,October,November,December End of month total,9500,902...

The difference between yours and mine is of semantics.

1) You do not round fish, I do.
                                                                                        2) You count fish born in a month as being one month old by the start of the next month, whereas I count them as not fully one month old, so our months are offset by one when it comes to counting age > 3 months.

We get the same answers if those are accounted for either way.

SPOILER
                                                                                        Code:
                                                                                        alive = float(10000)
                                                                                        d={}
                                                                                        for i in range (0,12):
                                                                                                # approximate 12.5%      
                                                                                                procreate = alive/8
                                                                                                offspring = procreate*3
                                                                                            if i > 6:
                                                                                            if i > 7:
                                                                                            if i > 8:
                                                                                            dead = alive/20 
                                                                                            alive = alive - dead

for i in d:
                                                                                            alive += d[i]
                                                                                        print alive

python fish.py 
                                                                                        9966.44166297
                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-11-18, 16:55.

Comment

Code:
                                                                                          9966
                                                                                          8913
                                                                                          6265
                                                                                          12034

one of those was mine
                                                                                          I’ve now got 20,215 fish

I assumed 25% coupling off meant 25% male and 25% female, without that its 12,089
                                                                                          Last edited by Goodluck2me; 21-11-18, 16:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                            I wrote some bad code in 5 minutes to do this, may be wrong but I'm usually right

SPOILER
                                                                                            Code:
                                                                                            alive = 10000
                                                                                            d={}
                                                                                            for i in range (0,12):
                                                                                                    # approximate 12.5%
                                                                                                    procreate = alive/8
                                                                                                    offspring = procreate*3
                                                                                                if i > 7:
                                                                                                if i > 8:
                                                                                                if i > 9:
                                                                                                dead = alive/20 
                                                                                                alive = alive - dead

for i in d:
                                                                                                alive += d[i]
                                                                                            print alive
                                                                                            10820
                                                                                            oddly...

Code:
                                                                                            alive = 10000
                                                                                            d={}
                                                                                            for i in range (0,12):
                                                                                                    # approximate 12.5%
                                                                                                    procreate = alive/8
                                                                                                    offspring = procreate*3
                                                                                                if i > 7:
                                                                                                if i > 8:
                                                                                                if i > 9:
                                                                                                dead = alive/20 
                                                                                                alive = alive - dead

for i in d:
                                                                                                alive += d[i]
                                                                                            print (alive)
                                                                                            in python gives me 10771.648860561916

Comment

Similar enough approach.....

Code:
                                                                                              USE tempdb

DECLARE @fish FLOAT = 10000;
                                                                                              DECLARE @offSpring FLOAT = 0;
                                                                                              DECLARE @departed FLOAT = 0;
                                                                                              DECLARE @month INT = '1';

WITH fish (
                                                                                                     fish
                                                                                                     ,offSpring
                                                                                                     ,leavers
                                                                                                     ,[month]
                                                                                                     )
                                                                                              AS (
                                                                                                     SELECT @fish AS fish
                                                                                                            ,@offSpring AS offSpring
                                                                                                            ,@departed AS leavers
                                                                                                            ,@month AS [month]

UNION ALL

SELECT ROUND(fish.fish - (fish.fish * 0.05), 0)
                                                                                                            ,fish.offSpring + CASE 
                                                                                                                   WHEN fish.[month] IN (
                                                                                                                                1
                                                                                                                                ,2
                                                                                                                                ,3
                                                                                                                                ,7
                                                                                                                                ,8
                                                                                                                                ,9
                                                                                                                                ,10
                                                                                                                                ,11
                                                                                                                                ,12
                                                                                                                                )
                                                                                                                         THEN 0
                                                                                                                   ELSE ROUND(ROUND(ROUND(fish.fish - (fish.fish * 0.05), 0) * 0.125, 0) * 3, 0)
                                                                                                                   END
                                                                                                            ,fish.leavers + CASE 
                                                                                                                   WHEN fish.[month] IN (
                                                                                                                                1
                                                                                                                                ,2
                                                                                                                                ,3
                                                                                                                                ,4
                                                                                                                                ,5
                                                                                                                                ,6

)
                                                                                                                         THEN 0
                                                                                                                   ELSE ROUND(ROUND(ROUND(ROUND(fish.fish - (fish.fish * 0.05), 0) * 0.125, 0) * 3, 0) * 0.15, 0)
                                                                                                                   END AS leavers
                                                                                                            ,fish.[month] + 1 AS [month]
                                                                                                     FROM fish
                                                                                                     WHERE [month] < 13
                                                                                                     )
                                                                                              --Select * from fish  -- Array of fish*/
                                                                                              -- max val

SELECT (fish.fish + fish.offSpring) - fish.leavers AS colonysize
                                                                                              FROM fish
                                                                                              WHERE fish.[month] = 13;

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post

How do you drop them in?

Comment

oddly...

Code:
                                                                                                  alive = 10000
                                                                                                  d={}
                                                                                                  for i in range (0,12):
                                                                                                          # approximate 12.5%
                                                                                                          procreate = alive/8
                                                                                                          offspring = procreate*3
                                                                                                      if i > 7:
                                                                                                      if i > 8:
                                                                                                      if i > 9:
                                                                                                      dead = alive/20 
                                                                                                      alive = alive - dead

for i in d:
                                                                                                      alive += d[i]
                                                                                                  print (alive)
                                                                                                  in python gives me 10771.648860561916
                                                                                                  You'll be using python 3 so, I'm on python 2 where division works differently (/ operator is integer division if inputs are integers.). You need to explicitly cast to an int at the start to get my answer.

Of course it being python I can get your answer by looking into the future by just adding this line:

Code:
                                                                                                  from __future__ import division
                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-11-18, 17:05.

Comment

I’ve now got 20,215 fish

I assumed 25% coupling off meant 25% male and 25% female, without that its 12,089
                                                                                                    I assume some fish adopted and there was a fish serial killer to get my answer

Comment

I assume some fish adopted and there was a fish serial killer to get my answer
                                                                                                      I just assumed my answer was correct, which seems the most efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        You'll be using python 3 so, I'm on python 2 where division works differently (it rounds). You need to explicitly cast to an int at the start to get my answer.
                                                                                                        I'm very much a python newb. Just thought it was interesting
                                                                                                        had to put parentheses around alive too to run it.

Comment

How do you drop them in?
                                                                                                          I've named tabs at the bottom, you should be able to just copy and past your excel cells into the tab...

Comment

Playing fast and loose with use of "interesting" there
                                                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Yeah, it changed into a function only in python 3, which allows some more magic to be accomplished than before. I must think about making better code than mine as an exercise.

Comment

I shall wait for Lazare's opinion before accepting a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                                                                  What should be stopping me lumping on Mick ONeill?
                                                                                                                  I'm a shite manager
                                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Roy Keane third in the betting
                                                                                                                    Should be a 100/1 shot surely!?!

Comment

There’s some days this forum really makes you question your intelligence [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                        Chris Hughton should take it. Would easily double his current salary for far less work and will take him nicely to retirement. Realistically cant take Brighton much higher so would be a smart time to leave.
                                                                                                                        wHA about the n7 roadworks ?

Comment

Mostly because I used to live nearby-ish and remember it being there. Every time I pass the derelict site now I try to remember the name of the pub but couldn't really. That's all there is to it.
                                                                                                                          Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                          That answer smells of you were the gunman, ready to boast of your hits...

They have been caught for less.

Sooooo, we're not suspicious of Lloyd anymore with the whole serial killer thing? It's Tom now?

If I present a representation of a fake news event to you and you say you remember seeing or hearing that then it's a false memory. It's actually an interesting area, especially in respect of false autobiographical memories where people are induced to falsely remember, say, a childhood hot air balloon ride.

I can't remember how to post an image here, but if I could, it would be an image of Hannibal Lecter.
                                                                                                                          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X