Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    It seems at least an Indian language has specific order based on type of sound.
    I can't remember who I was reading or listening to before and they discussed the stages of language, I have a vague recollection of order coming up. I think it might have been Jared Diamond, apparently he speaks 12 languages.
    I thought it was Pinker and found this website: http://www.originofalphabet.org/2014...steven-pinker/

Quick scan of the article suggests a patriarchal hierarchy to the development of the alphabet but that's just a hypothesis from the author. The website might be of interest to you though.

Comment

Brought the kids to Explorium in Sandyford. It's only open a couple of months.

Fantastic place, tons of really cool stuff for them to do, even the 1 year old.

Highly recommend.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

I had a fortune subscription due to some super cheap offer and wouldn't really recommend. Foreign Affairs doesn't really fit your criteria (it's like getting a book every two months) but it's a fantastic insight into the world.

In a reverse of you I didn't renew my Phoenix subscriptions for the the first time in about 15 years
            Last edited by Denny Crane; 17-02-19, 16:53.

Comment

BBC focus magazine for once a month science/tech.
              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I get The Economist weekly in print and I have a digital version of Skeptic which is quarterly. I think that's particularly good value at $15 for the year.

Comment

Comment

Comment

+1 to BBC focus, a consistently excellent publication.
                      The only physical magazine I still buy.

Comment

Debating about that blinkist service for similar reasons, ain't nobody got time to be reading all dat.
                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Damn you DC, Foreign Affairs looks great.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Private Eye and The New Yorker
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Damn you DC, Foreign Affairs looks great.
                              Is it available in the likes of Easons?

Wouldn't mind occasionally picking it up, wouldn't subscribe.
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Private Eye and The New Yorker
                                I planned to sign up too after reading some of Masha Gessen and coming away thinking that she's brilliant.

Comment

Google assistant is always good until you wanna play albums called "Aquemeni" or "Vignettes"
                                  airport, lol

Comment

Interesting talk from a doctor in the field on anti-ageing.

Background info on him -
                                    David Sinclair, Ph.D., a professor at Harvard Medical School and co-director of the Paul F. Glenn Center for the Biology of Aging, is known for his work on why we age and slowing aging’s effects.
                                    He has done extensive studies in animals which show a significant slowing of the ageing process in animals along with many other benefits from the protocol used.

David Sinclair of resveratrol fame told The Washington Post at age 45 he was taking 1000 mg of resveratrol a day in 2015 yet in an interview printed yesterday, he said before taking 500 mg of NMN a day that his blood work showed that his biological age was 58 and that a few weeks later was that of a 32-year-old.

He says that he is testing NMN on human subjects for 6 months from this fall in Boston and estimates it will take 3 to 5 years to develop this “drug” that is already available as an expensive supplement. He says his 77 year old father is taking it and reportedly has the endurance of a man in his 20s or 30s.
                                    Taken from Joe Rogan Experience #1234 w/David Sinclair:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTS0HS7aq4

Opr

Comment

Any of ye or your women follow Mrs hinch on insta holy jesus I took a Squeege to the stairs carpet tonight after hoovering today. Horrific what came off it!! took me 10 mins max to deliver a nice pile of hair and dirt
                                      Her sky-ness
                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Anyone in London, this is the second time I have been here, first was december 17 but baba G's at the camden market do the best lamb burger and chicken tikka burger I have ver had. It is simply astonishing.

Comment

Also I signed up to the new yorker online last year for 6$ a year. Hard to beat such an investment

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                            Anyone in London, this is the second time I have been here, first was december 17 but baba G's at the camden market do the best lamb burger and chicken tikka burger I have ver had. It is simply astonishing.
                                            I go every couple of months and I stay in Camden! Cheers
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Do you want to be a Mickey Mantle or a Mickey Mouse?

Everyone wants to be The Mick. Sign up today and take your shot at history. 21 days to go.

Comment

After a bad run the British parliament get something right (Facebook)

Thank god we live in the EU who are also wise to these cunts. Break them up and regulate them to oblivion please. Fuck them and their shareholders

Must be one of the biggest and richest companies ever that if they folded overnight the world would instantly become a better place

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                  Interesting talk from a doctor in the field on anti-ageing.

Background info on him -

He has done extensive studies in animals which show a significant slowing of the ageing process in animals along with many other benefits from the protocol used.

Taken from Joe Rogan Experience #1234 w/David Sinclair:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOTS0HS7aq4

Opr
                                                  You'd have to think these companies selling those supplements would throw serious money at docs going on one of the most listened to/watched podcasts to over-egg the benefits of their product. Can only imagine thr amount of sales NMN made based on that.

He struck me as wildly insincere.
                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Going to a wedding and the keep the date and the invite both said "your presence is the only present we wish for" or something like that. What does that actually mean - they just cash or nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                      You'd have to think these companies selling those supplements would throw serious money at docs going on one of the most listened to/watched podcasts to over-egg the benefits of their product. Can only imagine thr amount of sales NMN made based on that.

He struck me as wildly insincere.
                                                      NMN is extremely expensive so I doubt many people are actually using it. I listened to a more in-depth talk from him here in which is far more technical and science-based. He claims at the end of the podcast that he is currently not involved with any of the drug companies and actually spends a portion of his income on cease and desist stuff towards anyone associating his name with products currently on the market.

The precursor to increasing NAD levels which people do seems to be taking is NR (Nicotinamide Riboside). The studies that have been done like this one seem positive but are tiny sample size. I would guess that larger clinical trials are currently ongoing. Most of the buzz currently around it are based on control studies on mice which show some spectacular effects. I think something like 95% of studies on mice doesn't carry over to human trials.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                          Google assistant is always good until you wanna play albums called "Aquemeni" or "Vignettes"
                                                          GOAT hip-hop album

Comment

UK politics is glorious. The people's front of judea is now competing with the judea peoples front. Good thing there's no big decisions they have to make or this would be an awful distraction.
                                                            It's been on the cards for a while though.
                                                            Corbyn ignoring the mandate to push for a second ref after the no confidence failure was the last straw.
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                              Going to a wedding and the keep the date and the invite both said "your presence is the only present we wish for" or something like that. What does that actually mean - they just cash or nothing?
                                                              I assume it means nothing...or you're invited to a nuptial night threesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                GOAT hip-hop album
                                                                Absolutely no question. Barely a week passes I don't listen. And 2 more albums close in quality too. What other hip hop group does that? Greatest to ever do it
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

This lad was over for the poker in the Bonnington (Regency)...

Comment

Absolutely no question. Barely a week passes I don't listen. And 2 more albums close in quality too. What other hip hop group does that? Greatest to ever do it
                                                                    Downloading now. I have high hopes.

Comment

What do you call an Italian junky ?

SPOILER
                                                                      Giovanni change

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                        Downloading now. I have high hopes.
                                                                        You should love it first time. But come back to me on listen 100 for the real review. Andres last verse in title track is also greatest rap verse ever, I won't hear any argument otherwise.
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

I’d have All Eyez On Me as the greatest hip-hop album ever

Comment

This came in the post today from relations in Oz

My great Grandfathers discharge certificate (copy) from the army , 100 yrs ago on the 8th March.

About the only bit of history Iv seen in the family

someone might find it interesting if ye can make out.
                                                                            [
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            [IMG][/IMG]
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Jaysus MSN Don't let Kev see that or he'll run you

Comment

GOAT hip-hop album
                                                                                Hmmm... Outkast it would appear? Must give that a listen tomorrow. Have been largely dismissive of that southern hip-hop sound heretofore but it appears i have reason to revisit it now.

Comment

Jaysus MSN Don't let Kev see that or he'll run you
                                                                                  Why lol. I don't even get it. Was he an IRA man. I'm useless with that stuff
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                    Hmmm... Outkast it would appear? Must give that a listen tomorrow. Have been largely dismissive of that southern hip-hop sound heretofore but it appears i have reason to revisit it now.
                                                                                    😔 it makes me sad that aficionados such as HJ and yourself aren't into Outkast who are unquestioningly the greatest group of all time. Or that may just be my opinion! Wouldn't have Aquemini as typical southern rap, maybe their first album but after that each one shifted gears to something else.

Comment

Any insights into a July holiday 2 adults 2 kids
                                                                                      Water parks etc circa less than 2k . Best sites to compare.

I know I know Google is my friend but bbv surely has a nugget of a place .

Comment

ATLiens is great too, think Elevators would be up there as one of my favourite tunes. Must go listen to the discography again tomoro instesd of my daily podcast commutes

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                          Give them cash.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                            No he was a Connors

Comment

Not impossible by any stretch but probably unusual for somebody to serve in the Royal Irish Regiment and then be in the IRA

Comment

They Shall Not Grow Old is on tonight on BBC2 at 00:15.
                                                                                                Worth recording, one of the great documentaries. Colourization and modernizing of the frame rate of all those WWI newsreels so it looks up-to-date. And the voiceover is just old veterans talking. Tis awesome.

Comment

No he was a Connors
                                                                                                  I'm. Still lost 😂😂 funny though half my mother's family changed their name to O Connor. My uncle used to work in the racing industry in UK for jenny pitman and Mary reevly? If I remember correctly and they made him change his name to noel O conor.

Ffs we're settled a while now 😂
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                    What do you call an Italian junky ?

SPOILER
                                                                                                    Giovanni change
                                                                                                    What do you call an Italian with a rubber toe?

SPOILER
                                                                                                    Roberto
                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I'm. Still lost 😂😂 funny though half my mother's family changed their name to O Connor. My uncle used to work in the racing industry in UK for jenny pitman and Mary reevly? If I remember correctly and they made him change his name to noel O conor.

Comment

Half caught a radio doc last evening about the Irish on Newfoundland, there was something about adding an "o" to their surnames, it was on newstalk.
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                          Half caught a radio doc last evening about the Irish on Newfoundland, there was something about adding an "o" to their surnames, it was on newstalk.
                                                                                                          Well iv one posh aunt in law married my uncle no way was she having connors as surname so changed it. Ffs connors typical traditional irish name .
                                                                                                          Another relation who obv didn't like the surname

This is a long time a go linked before
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                            They Shall Not Grow Old is on tonight on BBC2 at 00:15.
                                                                                                            Worth recording, one of the great documentaries. Colourization and modernizing of the frame rate of all those WWI newsreels so it looks up-to-date. And the voiceover is just old veterans talking. Tis awesome.
                                                                                                            ...This +1...
                                                                                                            ...Watched this a couple of weeks ago and was actually gonna post it...probably the best war documentary I've ever watched...I actually even listenedto the whole song at the end with the credits...

Comment

WTF is on in town tonight? Absolutely rammed everywhere with marauding gangs of student types (shock, horror) enjoying themselves.

Comment

ATLiens is great too, think Elevators would be up there as one of my favourite tunes. Must go listen to the discography again tomoro instesd of my daily podcast commutes
                                                                                                                And southernplaylisticadillacmuzik....or whatever.

Raekwon verse in skew it on BBQ is pretty special too

No question greatest group for me.
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

For that price range I'd go West of Brittany. Beautiful place. Weather will be a lovely 27-30 degrees

Comment

For that price range I'd go West of Brittany. Beautiful place. Weather will be a lovely 27-30 degrees
                                                                                                                      Ah here. I'd be rosta

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                                        Any insights into a July holiday 2 adults 2 kids
                                                                                                                        Water parks etc circa less than 2k . Best sites to compare.

I know I know Google is my friend but bbv surely has a nugget of a place .
                                                                                                                        Come to Valencia.

circa 10k of beach

half a dozen parks including the Turia which runs the length of the city and has numerous playgrounds and Gulliver park (an enormous Gulliver model for kids to run through and over in the middle of the park)

aquarium

zoo

menu del dia (starter, main, dessert, drink and coffee for less than €10)

beer starting at €1 a bottle

lovely outdoor lifestyle where kids are welcomed and encouraged at bars and restaurants

lots of day trip options

might be a bit hot though, probably low 30's in July
                                                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

So satnav is in fact a tinker, makes sense now

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X