Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone able to recommend a small hand luggage bag that meets the new Ryanair dimensions?

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
      I just got my mortgage and wasn't asked for Revolut but I have heard of it. Doesn't seem to be standard but maybe if the banks are making a close decision on affordability they will ask.
      I'm in the middle of applying and have AIP. Revolut was never mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
        Seems Revolut might be a bit of a scam or at best their payments team are inept.
        I'm having a shit ton of problems getting transactions made on their Master card's settled properly for banks, Through the deals they have done with MasterCard they are screwing acquiring banks for accepting them.
        The clearing and settlement systems are hugely complex rules based systems and in my experience gambling is the area where the rules are most arcane, the transaction fees highest and where transactions failure rate is by far the greatest. Add into that the extra layer of complexity they appear to have added for these virtual card issuers like Revoult and you can expect lots of difficulties.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
          Everything I buy from amazon is done with revolut these days. Saves a fortune in forex.
          Are you sure about that?
          Compared to what, Irish issued Debit uses daily rate AFAIK,
          I was buying flights from Aer Lingus UK site in GBP same price and on on the same day one with revolut and the other with visa debit tand he price came back the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            I'm having a shit ton of problems getting transactions made on their Master card's settled properly for banks, Through the deals they have done with MasterCard they are screwing acquiring banks for accepting them.
            The clearing and settlement systems are hugely complex rules based systems and in my experience gambling is the area where the rules are most arcane, the transaction fees highest and where transactions failure rate is by far the greatest. Add into that the extra layer of complexity they appear to have added for these virtual card issuers like Revoult and you can expect lots of difficulties.
            I think this is spot on.
            I don't work specifically dealing with gaming payments but in the rules based systems you are speaking about not revolut but a similar industry.

Gambling is grouped in with the highest risk industries so those transactions are exposed to the highest volume of rules with the lowest risk thresholds so they are going to be fired on very often.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Are you sure about that?
              Compared to what, Irish issued Debit uses daily rate AFAIK,
              I was buying flights from Aer Lingus UK site in GBP same price and on on the same day one with revolut and the other with visa debit tand he price came back the same.
              With a 2.5% charge on top of whatever random bank rate avantcard feel like applying... I'm pretty sure I'm ahead there.
              May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Big news today. Company where I work just got acquired by Morgan Stanley for 1.1 billion. Not sure how I feel about it. No real benefit to me, most of my shares long gone.
                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                  With a 2.5% charge on top of whatever random bank rate avantcard feel like applying... I'm pretty sure I'm ahead there.
                  There is absolutely no doubt you are saving a bomb using Revolut for foreign currency transactions. The rates are better and there is no fee like you say. Don't mind Strewel he loves to argue for the sake of it.

Comment

Revolut charge a markup on weekends, that could be a factor

Comment

We take the rate from Friday 00:00 and apply a 0.5% mark up on major currencies and 1.0% on other currencies to protect the company from potential losses due to a large fluctuation in the rate. For illiquid currencies Russian Ruble and Thai Baht, there is 1.5% mark up on weekend.
                      Still much less than bank, and most have minimum fees too (as well as worse rates?)

Ulster Bank charge 1% of transaction value (min €0.25, max €6) plus 1% currency conversion fee (min €0.25, max €6)
                      An Post charge 3%
                      BOI charge 2% (maximum €11.43)
                      AIB charge 1.75% (minimum €0.45, maximum €11.00)
                      PTSB and KBC charge 1.75% (Minimum €0.46, maximum €11.43
                      EBS change 1% (minimum €0.30,maximum €6.00).

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                        Big news today. Company where I work just got acquired by Morgan Stanley for 1.1 billion. Not sure how I feel about it. No real benefit to me, most of my shares long gone.
                        Depends why they acquired you.

Solium, right?
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Shite match but great craic, flower of Scotland is worth the trip alone. The wee lassies just love the Irish accent.

The last few posts on meats and wines has me hoping to beat Ulster for a nice French semi final. Have tickets to Newcastle for both games but may skip it for a weekend in France instead.

Comment

What's up with Casper mattress', loads of airbnbs are saying they have them? Never see any other mattress mentioned.

Comment

I watched Abducted in Plain Sight over the weekend and I've never been so frustrated watching a documentary.

SPOILER
                              The parents are either the most idiotic people on the planet or were complicit in it. Continually making awful decision after awful decision that left their 12 year old child in the hands of a predator.
                              Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 11-02-19, 20:58.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                  Anyone able to recommend a small hand luggage bag that meets the new Ryanair dimensions?
                                  The same gear bag you probably always used. Just don't use anything with wheels.

Comment

Anyone watch 7 seconds . 3 episodes in .
                                    Sexy flawed black lawyer has me intrigued.

Comment

Tremendous evening of South Indian cuisine, followed by kidnapping the purveyor of South Indian cuisine. Several whiskies later, we are going to Sri Lanka. By train. For cricket.

This is why going out on Mondays is for connoisseurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                        Tremendous evening of South Indian cuisine, followed by kidnapping the purveyor of South Indian cuisine. Several whiskies later, we are going to Sri Lanka. By train. For cricket.

Train from where? And when?

Comment

In

Comment

Does anyone have much experience of betting with 888sport?
                                            Any issue withdrawing/verifying?

Also, if anyone has interest in a semi long term bet and they have an 888sport account, I'd suggest taking the 16/1 about Paul George for NBA MVP.
                                            Approx 30 games remaining.

He was 22/1 2 days ago, he outplayed MVP fav, current fav for defensive player of the year, I suspect his team will finish 2nd in the Western Conference while MVP fav will finish 5th/6th in the same conference.

Media vote for the award and there is great narrative around him after returning from a horrific leg break a number of years ago.
                                            Additionally he turned down an opportunity to join the LA Lakers to stay with OKC which is a small market.

I'm not saying he wins for sure but he's substantial value at the price, I suspect he's closer to a 5/1 shot plus the price will certainly be gone soon so if you're interested in a decent value sweat.

Comment

Walking in a city Maps / navigation have been more of a hindrance than a help this looks like a huge improvement.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                  Train from where? And when?
                                                  He seemed relatively convinced you could go from London.

This was the train he was ranting about the most though.

Comment

If you were to give up meat for the rest of your life, would any fewer animals be slaughtered? The supply chain is hardly efficient enough to adjust to one person?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                      If you were to give up meat for the rest of your life, would any fewer animals be slaughtered? The supply chain is hardly efficient enough to adjust to one person?
                                                      depends if they live in your back garden or not i'd say

Comment

There’s been a good bit of talk in media about how we can switch from meat to an insect diet to save the world
                                                        Guess the great insect die off report this week kind of wrecks that plan. It’s something that even Johnny pleb could notice if he took his head out of his smartphone in past few years, rarely see butterflies anymore and a good summers day used to be some din from the honeybees, not any more
                                                        Still at least google are making cities 0.0009001% easier to navigate, Heroes

Comment

you give up meat you are not part of the Supply Chain any more. There is no more maths than that needed . If you buy bottled water you are part of the plastic bottle infestation, if you do not, you are not part of it. If you buy Michael Buble Cds, FKKKKK YOUUUU

Comment

Comment

I don't think it is that fine tuned for short term change, but that's ok, it's more systemic change. It's more likely that in the short term if demand decreased stockpiles are created by governments to keep funding an industry (this happens with milk). Eventually that stops to align with consumer change, for instance the new mega funding of plant proteins world wide that is starting to happen now. Recently Canada removed meat/dairy sections from their health guidelines and have started investing heavily in plant protein.

The real change is a butterfly effect. Individuals changing doesn't do much in any area really, until a mass of individuals changing reaches a critical mass and it suddenly does affect numbers. Is not murdering someone doing anything for the murder rate? No, and yes.

The real impact is actually just existing as an example, allowing other people to follow suit. Here's a message I got from somebody I met recently that has gone vegan (the blacked out name now has too), things like this are common enough for me:

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-02-19, 13:00.

Comment

No fewer animals would be slaughtered, but thinking about it exclusively in those terms is insufficient. Even if we stick to a purely pragmatic consequentialist ethics it appears that vegetarianism and veganism is growing in popularity recently at quite a rate.

This could have an effect on the numbers slaughtered, and people who stop eating meat (as the popular image of these people goes) do have a tendency to talk about that and advocate or provide a model for non-meat eating. People see that it's possible and begin to wonder. So one person not eating meat have affect other people's behaviour, and so it can spread to an extent where it does make a difference to the bottom line deaths.

And while unlikely we may see a time when this has gotten to a point where we choose not to treat animals in this way at all.

But there are other ethical reasons not to do something even if it doesn't have an effect on another being. You don't read someone's diary, you don't have a sneaky bite of dead grandmother's thigh, I would like to give a third example but where do I go after example two?

So I was struck with this issue myself. I turned vegetarian due to insight during a meditation which meant I could no longer eat meat again. I didn't want to be vegetarian, and when the insight hit me I went "Aw no", because I had no choice anymore - I saw clearly and finally that it was wrong, the psychological delusion of "meat" fell away, and I saw what it really is in a full way.

But then I realised that my not eating meat would not result in a single animal not being killed for sale. I spent a little time knowing I could not eat meat but thinking it would have no benefit to the world. It took others to point out to me the larger picture and effect.

I think if you truly make contact with the ethical reality of it in a deep psychological way then all the arguments like this will evaporate. I had a bunch of arguments against vegetarianism, I think I articulated some here, but an image of insight is a bolt of lightening shattering through delusional views.

I don't advocate vegetarianism to people, as I would not have been swayed myself by any such rational arguments. We're deluded and psychologically very well defended against the reality of eating "meat", piercing that seems to me to be the way forward.

Keep eating meat and do the metta bhavana meditation I taught you.

edit: I should have just used Tar's domino pic that I see now

Comment

Comment

I should have said that I wasn't using it as a justification or a thought point, just a purely practical question.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                      I think if you truly make contact with the ethical reality of it in a deep psychological way then all the arguments like this will evaporate. I had a bunch of arguments against vegetarianism, I think I articulated some here, but an image of insight is a bolt of lightening shattering through delusional views.
                                                                      Do you suspect that you will eventually go vegan or that vegetarian is where you will remain?

I have read/listened to a number of discussions on the topic and one point that consistently arises is the discussion of the morality of the dairy industry vs that of simply animal slaughter.

I previously mentioned it to Tar after reading Dennett's Kinds of Minds but at a moral level does the slaughter of animals supersede the repeated insemination of animals for the dairy industry?

Obviously you disagree with the treatment of animals in the dairy industry but does the issues simply not hold as much weight for you?

Comment

To answer in a practical way, short term no, long term yes. Long term refers to within your lifespan.

I didn't want to be vegetarian, and when the insight hit me I went "Aw no", because I had no choice
                                                                        I think this is how it works for most people, I pretty much thought the same thing about both vegetarianism as a child and veganism 5 years ago. The process is: "I'll never be vegetarian" -> "ah ffs, really?". I remember some of your questions that I answered on here, there's a bingo card that everybody hits
                                                                        It's not something I ever bring up or talk about without being asked, yet the pilgrims always come. I really don't think discourse like that works in a lot of settings, over introspection.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                          Didn't Theroux do that trip (approximately at least) from London in The Great Railway Bazaar?
                                                                          That was exactly the conversation! Then he went back and did it again 35 years later in Ghost Train to the Eastern Star.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                            Do you suspect that you will eventually go vegan or that vegetarian is where you will remain?

I have read/listened to a number of discussions on the topic and one point that consistently arises is the discussion of the morality of the dairy industry vs that of simply animal slaughter.

I previously mentioned it to Tar after reading Dennett's Kinds of Minds but at a moral level does the slaughter of animals supersede the repeated insemination of animals for the dairy industry?

Obviously you disagree with the treatment of animals in the dairy industry but does the issues simply not hold as much weight for you?
                                                                            I can answer that as somebody who has gone through it and decided to go through with it, YMMV. When I became vegetarian it was a decade before I became vegan. There are multiple reasons for that.

1) Moral exhaustion - I avoided thinking about it due to mental lethargy over already making changes to my life that brought hardship with them (social, diet etc).
                                                                            2) Moral evasion - It's not that bad is it? I'm already doing enough anyway? There's tons of other things I could be focusing on to do good instead of this?
                                                                            3) Lack of knowledge/Indoctrination - While I grew up on farms myself I still did not know much about chickens for laying and what happens at hatcheries. The thoughts of billions of chicks being ground up alive at a day old was a big push for me eventually (actually the thought of an individual is more provoking). With the processes I was familiar with from farms I lived and worked on (and dairies) they seemed more normal to me -> this is fine, I've always been taught this is fine and the animal isn't dying directly.
                                                                            4) Evolving ethics - This takes time, you don't often go from A -> C without stopping by at transitional B. Sometimes C is such a foreign concept from position A that C seems fantastical and doesn't make sense. Much like even those fervently for abolition of slavery were aghast at the thought of equal rights for black people.
                                                                            5) Social exclusion - My peers didn't even know what a vegetarian was, let alone a vegan and since it was already difficult enough inconvenience wise it is hard psychologically to push for doing even more. While this is far less of an issue now it will still exist for a lot of people. I'm ok in my hipster circles - half of us are vegan now and for the first time people are going directly vegan instead of vegetarian first, what about an older person that has no social support or frame of reference to compare to?
                                                                            6) Health - How the fuck do i do this and be healthy, lift weights, not die? What will I eat? This takes some time to learn about.
                                                                            7) Cheese - But cheese tho.

I can go on and on in this vein tbh.
                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-02-19, 13:55.

Comment

Keep eating meat and do the metta bhavana meditation I taught you.
                                                                              Excellent point.

And mind blown, been going around for years now thinking it was 'meta meditation'.

Comment

Excellent point.

And mind blown, been going around for years now thinking it was 'meta meditation'.
                                                                                Meata meditation. You guys are too funny.

Comment

as a completely unrelated aside, I had the most glorious lamb wrap from beanhive on Dawson street for lunch.
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    as a completely unrelated aside, I had the most glorious lamb wrap from beanhive on Dawson street for lunch.
                                                                                    Any idea what's happening in the empty shops on Dawson St? They were 3 pretty successful outfits.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                        I am mostly vegan. I don't buy leather, but I still buy wool. I moved from drinking lactose free milk to non-dairy milk because I don't want to support the dairy industry and their practices, but I will still eat a bag of crisps that has some milk in it.

It's a process and relates to whether and to what extent I am cultivating greater awareness and ethical sensitivity. Which I am not especially at the moment.

Tar gives better insight into the evolution.

Comment

Actually has anyone been in touch with CHD? I was thinking about him the last couple of days.

Comment

Any idea what's happening in the empty shops on Dawson St? They were 3 pretty successful outfits.
                                                                                            Also a bunch of vacant premesis around the corner on Nassau St and onto Grafton street following the LUAS line in front of Trinity (including the cheap book shop where I used to get great cookbooks for a fiver).

Surely too much of a coincidence that they were all rent reviewed within a couple of months of each other (but maybe not).

Comment

Now that racing is back from the zombie apocalypse horse flu minor scare, sign up for the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Competition today. A healthy €550 bananas in the pot already.

The more of you that sign up, the less the probability of listening to another 12 months of Sitch gloating.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                His last posts were to abuse me so I can only assume that his life is wonderful and he carrys on without a care in the world.

Not exactly wonderful or carefree at all but I do enjoy bothering narcissistic megalomaniacs like yourself.

My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post

Not exactly wonderful or carefree at all but I do enjoy bothering narcissistic megalomaniacs like yourself.

My apologies.
                                                                                                  Did you get your socks?

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post

My apologies.
                                                                                                    Hi chadley.

Hope all good with the family issues - always here if you need to mouth at someone, I thrive on it.

WTF with Chelsea?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                      Guess this is it, if its Sprout, Mooch, Flying Tiger you are talking about.
                                                                                                      "Two eateries – Sprout and Mooch – have closed their doors, with Spar and Flying Tiger also expected to shutter. All three were popular with Trinity students, tourists and office workers in the locality."

Found that amusing for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                        "Two eateries – Sprout and Mooch – have closed their doors, with Spar and Flying Tiger also expected to shutter. All three were popular with Trinity students, tourists and office workers in the locality."

Found that amusing for some reason
                                                                                                        So true too, I got lunch in Sprout most days, turkey satay is quality tbf

Comment

Students have come along way since I was one so. Sliced Pan & jar of jam to do you for lunches for the week. If you were feeling really flush some Easi-Singles for variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                            Students have come along way since I was one so. Sliced Pan & jar of jam to do you for lunches for the week. If you were feeling really flush some Easi-Singles for variety.
                                                                                                            You were telling me that the last time we had a few drinks in Molloys but I can't remember if it was before or after you bought me that steak dinner.

Comment

That Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez doing a good job of making herself relavant and memorable, I'm seeing her everywhere last few months, future president if she hasnt burned out by the time she's old enough for the gig.
                                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

That Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez doing a good job of making herself relavant and memorable, I'm seeing her everywhere last few months, future president if she hasnt burned out by the time she's old enough for the gig.
                                                                                                                She has zero chance of ever being Prrz.

Comment

...

Comment

She has zero chance of ever being Prrz.
                                                                                                                    I'd be a layer at zero I mean shes obv giving opposing candidates a large headstart due to her sex/ethnicity but seems to be the most charismatic democrat since Barrack and seems very saavy at knowing how produce viral soundbites that impress the modern short attention span audience and cast her in a positive light.
                                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

I know we are not allowed by the enablers / collaborators make any sort of comparison with Germany in the 30's (And sure this clown's only interest is in enriching himself) but fucking hell if you are not disturbed by the level of off the wall insanity on show at that rally in Texas last night there is something wrong with you.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                        Did you get your socks?
                                                                                                                        Sports Direct sales. Can't be bate.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                        Hi chadley.

Hope all good with the family issues - always here if you need to mouth at someone, I thrive on it.

WTF with Chelsea?
                                                                                                                        Hi,

Ta m8, you aren't a pretentious twat so it just wouldn't be the same. Chelsea have bought terribly for several windows in a row, have a few imposters at the club along with the average players brought in and then installed a manager who has never won a trophy. If anything things were going well considering the team wasnt set up to get the best out of the only two world class players in the squad and the likes of Alonso, Willian and Barkley get games. Tis a shit show thats now found its level.

Comment

I'd be a layer at zero I mean shes obv giving opposing candidates a large headstart due to her sex/ethnicity but seems to be the most charismatic democrat since Barrack and seems very saavy at knowing how produce viral soundbites that impress the modern short attention span audience and cast her in a positive light.
                                                                                                                          It's her politics that make her unelectable as a presidential candidate. In the same way as Bernie Sanders.

It's also the same reason that Europeans cream themselves over her.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X