Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footage just in of RDIII's final appearance in whites

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Out in Roundstone where the weather has been quite overcast today compared to the reported mini heatwave in Dublin. Still grand in shorts and a hoodie but would prefer it to be warmer.

Having dinner and a few pints in Vaughans (who only opened two weeks ago after their winter shut down) and in briefly talking to the owner he said that they were busier the last three days than in the busiest of any Aug bank holiday weekend ever.

Looks like we just missed the really good weather. Hopefully, it picks up tomorrow!

Comment

Some of my mates working here in Dublin have "unlimited" days off, they are not sure what that really means but they've had no issues so far doing whatever they want, I imagine they don't take the absolute piss.

Comment

Good series of blog type posts on reddit.

Inside Underground NY Poker

Opr

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Few half days to go flying, 2 weeks in July, and Christmas gets me up to about half my allowance. Don't need or want any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                Good series of blog type posts on reddit.

Inside Underground NY Poker

Opr
                Great read
                If you can post the next part that would be great

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  You definitely reach a point where you wouldn't be able to do a job (that you ideally like) if you took too much holidays, so that acts as a natural limit.

I took three weeks vacation leave off last month just to be able to do the work I want to do and not be bothered. Sad state of affairs really!
                  You need a break though or you'll burn out. I'm taking 4 or 5 weeks leave in Aug/Sept (albeit some of that carried forward because I didn't use all my leave this year) to go to South America - can't wait for it. Without those type of things to look forward to, I'd imagine you could easily get disillusioned.

Comment

Newbie2 still in with a shot in IO.

Well till he fucks it up today at least.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                      Holy shit. Any jobs going?
                      Different companies here do things slightly differently with the days in lieu but certainly plenty of days off throughout the year wherever you work. I'll end up carrying over 5 days and getting paid for 4 unless I plan a big trip. My shift work consists of 3 mornings, 3 evening, 3 off rotating so barely even need to take time off for short breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                        Different companies here do things slightly differently with the days in lieu but certainly plenty of days off throughout the year wherever you work. I'll end up carrying over 5 days and getting paid for 4 unless I plan a big trip. My shift work consists of 3 mornings, 3 evening, 3 off rotating so barely even need to take time off for short breaks.
                        If they switched the pattern to 3 evenings, 3 mornings, 3 off all your 3 off would be like 4 and shouldn't (simplistic I know) make a difference to the job!?

Never mind the above, forgot about the work time directive.
                        Last edited by Guest; 21-04-19, 09:03.

Comment

Yea, it's been debated a bit but we work 9-5 for 3 days and then dont start till 3pm on the 4th day so it's almost like a day off in the middle. Finishing at 11pm and starting at 9am on the 4th day wouldn't be great. There are only 3 of us on the team so there's a lot of flexibility, I get to work from home evenings and weekends and it's not particularly busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                            Newbie2 still in with a shot in IO.

Well till he fucks it up today at least.
                            3 ridiculous end bosses leading the way in the chip count, and it won't be easy to topple them.

Niall Farrell - 2,471,000
                            Benny Glaser - 2,258,000
                            Max Silver - 1,756,000

Other notable and IPBers still in with a shout are Dave Masters (top 10 stack), Seamus Cahill (13th), Ivan Tononi, Jay O’Toole, Sean Prendiville, Patrick Clarke, Andrew Sweeney, Ian Simpson, BigMickG, and probably others i missed. Would love to see a stacked final table this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                              3 ridiculous end bosses leading the way in the chip count, and it won't be easy to topple them.

Niall Farrell - 2,471,000
                              Benny Glaser - 2,258,000
                              Max Silver - 1,756,000

Other notable and IPBers still in with a shout are Dave Masters (top 10 stack), Seamus Cahill (13th), Ivan Tononi, Jay O’Toole, Sean Prendiville, Patrick Clarke, Andrew Sweeney, Ian Simpson, BigMickG, and probably others i missed. Would love to see a stacked final table this year!
                              Jayminator on the stream on Silvers table...

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Ran through Citywest earlier, had to pit stop for water. Saw a couple of familiar old faces.

Bar was full of poker players all sitting around, all I could hear were beats as I walked through them.
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

5 large rooms, 2 coats of paint on ceilings and walls. Feels like I deserve this day out.

Allez les bleus!
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Hitch - why do you keep doing this?
                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

lols. That's just basic taking advantage for short twitter messages. The point I'm making is valid. There is a greater frequency and severity of awards in Ireland due to the lower bar for what counts as negligence in Ireland. That's the core problem. It's fairly self-evident. If a kid jumping on his hotel bed falls off and is able to sue the hotel for negligence the bar is clearly too low.

You guys are paying for that, so laugh along with Kayroo all you want!
                                        First: the bar for negligence is not lower here than other countries. Our direct comparator is England where we are told awards are lower etc. Our standard for negligence is EXACTLY the same. Identical. No difference whatsoever. Your real complaint is with awards, not negligence.

Second: you made something up. You literally created a fact to suit your argument that wasn’t true. That isn’t taking advantage of twitter. That’s you pressing an article into service that actually says the exact opposite of what you suggested. That’s dishonest in any medium - twitter, here, in person. If we want to debate the reform of Irish personal injury awards (and I think there is a lot of merit in looking at reform) then we have to start from a position of actual facts rather than made up ones. Otherwise we have to spend all our time fact checking rather than engaging substantively.

And by the way I gave you a pass on the article the first time. You were the one who doubled down and cited it twice in support of your argument. You can’t blame twitter or me for that.

Comment

Also - if you’re talking about the cost of insurance and ignoring the numerous reports that show awards going down, claims going down, legal costs going down and still think it’s a “compo culture going mad” AND simultaneously ignoring the European Commission and regulators raiding insurance companies here as a possible factor then frankly I don’t take your views on this issue seriously.

Comment

Everton 4-0 Man Utd

Hmmmm, i didn't see that coming, and still 30 mins left...

Comment

Leinster blowing hard after 7 minutes. Toulouse are here to play!

Comment

As bad a performance as you’ll see from United, hopefully the big money rumours re Real & Pogba are true

Comment

Everton 4-0 Man Utd

Comment

Everton 4-0 Man Utd

Surely alls solks has to do is show the players another vid of him scoring goals and remind them the culture of attacking football and all will be grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                      Jayminator on the stream on Silvers table...

https://www.twitch.tv/partypokertv
                                                      New table. Newbie2, Seamus Cahill, Ian Simpson, Benny Glaser and friends...

Comment

Too many ridiculous mistakes by toulouse.

Comment

New table. Newbie2, Seamus Cahill, Ian Simpson, Benny Glaser and friends...
                                                          Good call from Zac, and a decent start.

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Schooled by Seamus though

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 21-04-19, 15:37.

Comment

Regarding the rugby.

James Lowe is my favourite player in the world right now. His energy is just infectious on both attack and defence. he appears to genuinely love the game (sexotn would be his antithesis) Like a giant man child.

Comment

Everton 4-0 Man Utd

Didn't particularly see Arsenal trailing Palace 3-1with 20 mins to go either

Comment

Abject football from Arsenal. In such a good spot going into today to have a go at 4th place and CL football. Probably better off in Europa League on today's showing.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hon Shane Lowry BTW.

Comment

To give a simple example - continental Europe is absolutely littered with public playgrounds. The kids counted 24 of them on the 20 mins bus ride from campsite to city centre here in Spain, but it's generally everywhere in the continent. Usage rules are generally user beware, if something happens then that's tough luck or you weren't paying attention to what your kids were doing. Public authorities just can't do that in Ireland as these playgrounds are a claims pit, and what is required in terms of construction is therefore crazy expensive. Even a simple swing is a potential claim.

Switching it around to user-beware would allow all these public goods to be there on your ramble through town and everyone wins. Sure, there would be a few more accidents but kids tend to have accidents.

Beneath your smart answers you are simply arguing its someone else's fault and fix that and it's done. That's just silly as has been tried on barristers, claims adjustment, insurance cos for decades and has never worked. My argument, even if not as fancy in wording as yours, is based on what actually works in countries that have better communal goods as a result.
                                                                          My answers are smart because they’re right.

Ireland has a huge number of new playgrounds and community spaces being built over the last 5/10 years. And when you’re in there it is user beware. You keep changing the argument whenever you get boxed into a corner. European civil law systems compensate for injury pretty much the same way we do in Ireland. And for pretty much the same things. The differences are in levels of awards.

Actually that article you erroneously relied on is a decent example. 545k as the highest medical negligence claim ever in Netherlands is much lower than here. Although it may depend on what they classify as medical negligence. Catastrophic birth cases tend to be the highest awards here but come under the general heading of medical negligence.

I’m not hiding anything “beneath my answers”. I don’t work in this area and I do think awards are probably too high and sometimes we compensate too broadly. What I don’t think is that it’s as endemic as your position sought to make out or that it’s a major contributor to our lack of public amenities. You’re shilling the same line insurance companies do. “These insurance claims mean you have to pay more and your children can’t have playgrounds”. I’m sorry Hitch but I simply do not see the evidence for that.

And no amount of smart words or clever answers gets away from the central problem I had with you in that thread. A number of people retweeted that tweet where you cite the Dutch case as being “one of the first ever medical negligence cases in the Netherlands”. Hitch you just made that up. That’s completely out of order. That’s not clever words or arguments from me. That’s just you making shit up.

Comment

Comment

Easter eggheads are melting . Keep it going lads

Comment

Premier league thread on boards is magnificently childish, United fans hoping their own team lose against city etc. it’s great stuff

Comment

Really hope Hitch is well into a second bottle of whiskey.
                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Sigh. I didn't make anything up. I'd read the article a few months earlier, or whenever, and misremembered its content. I would hardly have included a link to the article myself in the first place if I was making stuff up about it. It just seems to have touched you up the wrong way with this post now and that bizarre claim of lying on twitter. Pretty dodgy behaviour on your part imo on this particular and rare occasion even though I laughed it off on there.
                                                                                    You’re right. The lying comment was too far on my part and I apologize. I assumed the first time you made the claim that it was, as you said, a misremembered content or something but you made a very specific claim twice that was easily discovered as wrong that annoyed me.

Let’s take the heat out of this. Ok?

As for your argument: it just doesn’t stack up to any sort of scrutiny. What really rubs me up the wrong way is when people spout insurance industry talking points because they are popular. But the arguments don’t stand up. Your basic premise doesn’t stand up. Negligence thresholds (which you’ve never actually established are drastically lower in Ireland) are not the issue - awards are!

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                      Premier league thread on boards is magnificently childish, United fans hoping their own team lose against city etc. it’s great stuff
                                                                                      Normally I'd agree with them rather than those bastards win it :-) however United need to scab 4th and Liverpool deserve it for a change .(SIGH) Be a shockingly unlucky 2nd place . I Will be hoping to beat City . Then hide from about 12 people for ten years. Dublin will explode.

Comment

Lowry leading.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                          Normally I'd agree with them rather than those bastards win it :-) however United need to scab 4th and Liverpool deserve it for a change .(SIGH) Be a shockingly unlucky 2nd place . I Will be hoping to beat City . Then hide from about 12 people for ten years. Dublin will explode.
                                                                                          Why would it be unlucky? If city wins the league, it would be on merit.
                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                            Why would it be unlucky? If city wins the league, it would be on merit.
                                                                                            Presumably on the grounds that whoever gets second will get 92+ points, which is usually enough to win it. So therefore unlucky to run into an exceptional opponent.

Comment

BBQing Indian food tonight. Had some chicken thighs marinating in a Tikka mix, was gonna use for a tray bake dish but decided to stick them on the barbecue.

Mixed a load of cumin seeds with some wood chips, smells are good so far.

Gonna throw some naan on to the coals and serve it all with a mint yoghurt dip and some bhajis.

Also, thighs are the absolute nut part of the chicken (apols Tar) if cooked right.

Comment

Some fantastic tactical snooker on eurosport right now. Brecel v Wilson, 2 snookers needed by Wilson and Brecel just fouled so very much in the balance. Game 9-8 to Wilson atm so if brecel gets out here itll be an interesting decider

Comment

@ newbie, you have the name of someone you'd expect to see on Graham Norton's couch promoting their latest blockbuster.

'Zac Sloper everybody'

Cool name. Good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                    Presumably on the grounds that whoever gets second will get 92+ points, which is usually enough to win it. So therefore unlucky to run into an exceptional opponent.
                                                                                                    and just lose 1 game. United hardly ever won it on merit. Howard Webb and the FA in Fergies pocket.....(these people are out there)

Comment

Did you ever notice that Formula One drivers always have Formula One driver's names.

If your name is John Brophy you're never gonna be a Formula One driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                        Did you ever notice that Formula One drivers always have Formula One driver's names.

If your name is John Brophy you're never gonna be a Formula One driver.
                                                                                                        we have a saying around here. Brophys never win a Trophy

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                          and just lose 1 game. United hardly ever won it on merit. Howard Webb and the FA in Fergies pocket.....(these people are out there)
                                                                                                          They also failed to win 8 games to City 6.
                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                            They also failed to win 8 games to City 6.
                                                                                                            I will not defend liverpool a seconda timea .

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                              Some fantastic tactical snooker on eurosport right now. Brecel v Wilson, 2 snookers needed by Wilson and Brecel just fouled so very much in the balance. Game 9-8 to Wilson atm so if brecel gets out here itll be an interesting decider
                                                                                                              Middle of the deciding frame. Still some excellent tactical snooker on show.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                Middle of the deciding frame. Still some excellent tactical snooker on show.
                                                                                                                Was far away from the middle of the frame as it turns out.

This is great fun, Crucible delivers.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                  Was far away from the middle of the frame as it turns out.

This is great fun, Crucible delivers.
                                                                                                                  Ah I posted about 30 minutes ago and it's only been going for an hour now so I was almost right

Yeah it's great watching. Some escapes have been fantastic. Brecel rode his luck a fair few times

Comment

Episode 2 of GOT leaked online.

Edit - Quality is meh. Probably better waiting till tomorrow.

Opr
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Opr; 21-04-19, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                      BBQing Indian food tonight. Had some chicken thighs marinating in a Tikka mix, was gonna use for a tray bake dish but decided to stick them on the barbecue.

Mixed a load of cumin seeds with some wood chips, smells are good so far.

Gonna throw some naan on to the coals and serve it all with a mint yoghurt dip and some bhajis.

Also, thighs are the absolute nut part of the chicken (apols Tar) if cooked right.
                                                                                                                      Is the Tikka mix homemade? What's in it if so please

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                        Is the Tikka mix homemade? What's in it if so please
                                                                                                                        No, it's a Pataks marinade I got from the Asian shop.

Comment

That was mighty stuff. Brecel got all the luck and Wilson answered everything. Deserving winner.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X