World Cup Predictions Competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Need to get someone who predicted 0-0 or 1-1 to see if they got points for that game, but sounds like Danny got 4 points for 2-1.
    I had 1-1 for the USA game and got 0

Comment

Feck, that 94th minute penalty cost me the four points.
      We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Ship the 8 point day

Comment

Well I guess the penalties question is answered. 5-3 to paraguay sounds like a great game of football. Pity it was pants.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
            Well I guess the penalties question is answered. 5-3 to paraguay sounds like a great game of football. Pity it was pants.
            Including penalty shootouts as a method for predicting scorelines is lol retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
              Including penalty shootouts as a method for predicting scorelines is lol retarded.
              I had 0-0 for that, that is just fucking ridiculous.
              Should be an 8 point day, instead, 4, and I'm 6 behind the leader instead of 2.
              Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 30-06-10, 05:51.
              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Yep, I agree it is stupid. The only thing is that it is the same for everyone (as in everyone runs the risk of this when they predict a draw). The only thing now is to not predict a draw anymore I guess.

If we has discussed this earlier properly we could have decided that knockout scores were correct after 90 mins or 120 mins and update the scoes to reflect it, but it is probably too late now.

Comment

Yep, I agree it is stupid. The only thing is that it is the same for everyone (as in everyone runs the risk of this when they predict a draw). The only thing now is to not predict a draw anymore I guess.

If we has discussed this earlier properly we could have decided that knockout scores were correct after 90 mins or 120 mins and update the scoes to reflect it, but it is probably too late now.
                  (obviously this rant isn't aimed at you Dom)
                  It's only really the same for anyone who put a draw down for this match (draws had value till the knock outs).
                  It sucks to be one of the few test cases (and right behind the chipleader), now people just know not to put a draw in the knock out stages as you are opting for 0 points. It's not a risk, it's a guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                    (obviously this rant isn't aimed at you Dom)
                    It's only really the same for anyone who put a draw down for this match (draws had value till the knock outs).
                    It sucks to be one of the few test cases (and right behind the chipleader), now people just know not to put a draw in the knock out stages as you are opting for 0 points. It's not a risk, it's a guarantee.
                    In fairness though once it counted the extra-time it should have become obvious that predicting a draw in the knockout stages was risky as there was a good chance penalties were counted. I changed from a draw in one prediction after that.

Comment

Extra time being counted isn't beyond the realms of sense, counting penalties is just pure nutty and it isn't something I considered as a risk, as it's just mental, it makes predicting a draw beyond the group stakes an automatic 0 points and negates their purpose completely - yet allows you to do it.

I mean, there are only 3 outcomes in a match, and it has made one of them obsolete half way through the tournament.

Comment

hold 2-1!! 4 pointer + have Holland and Paraguay in another sweepstake at 8/1!

Comment

lollers 5 point day by accident I think. I was sure I had brazil 2-1. I either mistyped it or I had gone for holland a few days ago. I'm not gonna complain anyway. Just a few more holds now.

Comment

If everyone else agrees to buy out for 9.99 now we could have a deal here

Comment

Is there a 3rd place play off match?

Comment

Is there a 3rd place play off match?
                                Sure is, next Saturday night. So you've another 4 games after tonight to pip cardshark.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                  Sure is, next Saturday night. So you've another 4 games after tonight to pip cardshark.
                                  I'd probably need to bink 3-4 correct scores for that to happen.
                                  There are a few people shuffling up behind me.

Comment

I think a perfect bink tonight with rigger not binking pretty much seals it for me

Comment

Think it's nearly a formality at this point.

Comment

Only six points back though, all to play for imo.

Awsome tune to boot

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCRZLr9oRw[/ame]

Comment

Second place gets 30% though, so it is not a pointless exercise, although bragging rights will be lost.

Comment

Second comes right after first.

Comment

I thought it was winner takes all??
                                              Let me read back through the thread

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                I thought it was winner takes all??
                                                Let me read back through the thread
                                                It was but there was a suggestion made to split it out a day or two into it, objections were asked for, and none received.

Comment

ok, on the prize split thing, a preference by some was mentioned to paying 70/30 for 1st/2nd rather than winner take all. Any objections? None were voiced earlier I think, but if anyone has any, now is the time to say it.
                                                  Yeah I object. I think it should be winner takes all really. It's the purest form of the game. I think whoever wins something like this deserves the full prizepool imo.

Comment

Wow the majority picked Germany for the win?? Ship it lol

Comment

Maybe some gave up. I had Germany.

Comment

Wow the majority picked Germany for the win?? Ship it lol
                                                        Well played cardshark, rigger needs two perfect scores to your nil at the weekend for a tie. Kev is still in with a chance of nabbing second.

In fairness to you ,rigger and Kev, you've all done very well with your predictions which can be very difficult in alot of these games.

I'd love to see how you all would have done placing equal bets on every game for the correct scores, pretty sure you'd have all come out well on top.

We should perhaps get something going for the premiership after this.

Comment

Yeah rigger has to pick uruguay and holland to have a chance. I wouldn't have the time to pick all the scores for a premiership season but would be well up for a champions league one.

Comment

Urugauy and Holland are my first choices.

Comment

Urugauy and Holland are my first choices.
                                                              Good luck!

Comment

Yeah I object. I think it should be winner takes all really. It's the purest form of the game. I think whoever wins something like this deserves the full prizepool imo.
                                                                Bit late now for this.

Comment

Bit late now for this.
                                                                  lol it was tongue in cheek

Comment

lol it was tongue in cheek
                                                                    Disqualified for not showing me due respect.

Well done Rigger.

Comment

Disqualified for not showing me due respect.

Well done Rigger.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_o01xJBXwI[/ame]

Comment

Ship ship the win.

Comment

Ship ship the win.
                                                                          Well Played. IPB props have been a nice little earner for you this World Cup!

Comment

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE[/ame]

Comment

Well played cardshark and rigger, I'll sort out the funds and ship tonight!

5star, 70/30 yeah?

Comment

yep, less $50 for me for miscellaneous expenses.

Comment

wtf..

An English football fan has told Sky News how a World Cup bet left him feeling a million dollars.

Mike McNally, 29, from Bradford, West Yorks, scooped the £650,000 jackpot (worth $1m) after predicting the most winners of the tournament matches.

The business graduate correctly forecasted 36 out of the 64 results - more than any other punter in the world - to triumph in the online competition.
                                                                                    Link

More here.

Comment

Comment

Jesus Christ

Comment

In all fairness, it's a different ball game when you predict all the winners of each game before the tournament begins. Pretty sure that if everyone put all their predictions into a World Cup predictor, none of us would come close to 36

Comment

You were also stuck with whatever teams you had for the later rounds. For example, if you picked England and Italy to get to semi final then you prob had both to win 3 group games (5 wrong), last 16, last 8 and qtr final so you were down 11 results already.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            X