Irish General Election betting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    He's performed poorly in a couple of election appearances. Nonetheless, if SF end up with 15% FPV and 20 seats he'll have headed quite the growth in support and relevance since the early nineties. Also worth noting that his approval ratings have held up well relative to other leaders since 2011.

Now is the time for him to step aside (and he will imo), but I would probably disagree on the extent to which he has held on beyond the optimal retirement point.

Is that actually down to him or just by default? I can't help but feel it's by default and with another leader Sinn Fein would have done better in the last election as well. Similar to Fine Gael and Enda Kenny. With Fianna Fail and the Greens being wiped out those votes had to go somewhere. A chimp leading either party would have done a pretty solid job in the last election I think.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III
    here's the current guesswork:
    Worth noting and also going back to my piece previously on Dublin Bay South this was a surprise to me.

The poll of the four seat constituency shows Fine Gael's Eoghan Murphy on 20 per-cent, followed by Sinn Fein's Chris Andrews on 17% with Renua leader Lucinda Creighton and Labour's Kevin Humphreys both on 13%.
    Fianna Fail's Jim O'Callaghan is on 11%, with Kate O'Connell of Fine Gael on 10% followed by Eamon Ryan of the Greens on 7%.
    Previous odds:
    Eoghah Murhpy (FG) - 1/50
    Kate O'Connell (FG) - 5/6
    Lucinda Creighton (Renua) - 1/6
    Eamonn Ryan (Greens) - 1/3
    Kevin Humphreys (Labour) - 8/11
    Chris Andrews (Sinn Fein) - Evens
    Jim O'callaghan (FF) - 11/4
    Mannix Flynn (Ind) 40/1
    Glenna Lynch (Social Democrats) 50/1
    Annette Mooney (AAA-PBP) 100/1

New Odds:
    Eoghah Murhpy (FG) - 1/40
    Kate O'Connell (FG) - 5/6
    Lucinda Creighton (Renua) - 1/4
    Eamonn Ryan (Greens) - 9/4
    Kevin Humphreys (Labour) - 8/13
    Chris Andrews (Sinn Fein) - 1/9
    Jim O'callaghan (FF) - 5/1
    Mannix Flynn (Ind) 50/1
    Glenna Lynch (Social Democrats) 25/1
    Annette Mooney (AAA-PBP) 100/1

A couple of big swings now obviously. Didn't expect Chris Andrews to be so popular. Jimbo at 5/1 seems like good value.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
      A couple of big swings now obviously. Didn't expect Chris Andrews to be so popular. Jimbo at 5/1 seems like good value.
      A lot of the old FF vote was an Andrews vote. His defection to SF eats a big chunk of that.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        A lot of the old FF vote was an Andrews vote. His defection to SF eats a big chunk of that.
        Looks like I made a mess of that one! Fixed now.

Comment

meh, tables are hard to edit:

Comment

Jody Corcoran in the Indo with an interesting piece re the 'toxicity' of different parties, amazing/appalling to think FF are the least toxic...

jody-corcoran-the-general-election-has-just-become-fianna-fails-to-win

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
              Jody Corcoran in the Indo with an interesting piece re the 'toxicity' of different parties, amazing/appalling to think FF are the least toxic...

jody-corcoran-the-general-election-has-just-become-fianna-fails-to-win
              Haven't read that carefully enough to comment on the merits of his arguments, but it's worth pointing out that Jody Corcoran is one of the worst/most blatant FF cheerleaders working in Irish journalism. So if there is a way to misread the numbers in favour of FF and it's current leader he'll do it.

His tireless defence and hero worship of both Bertie and Cowan was sickening - but at least you could never accuse him of abandoning the ship, he defended both to the bitter end!

Comment

The only conclusions I'd draw really is that the election seems to be changing little. It's in the media's interest to try and sell narratives, and micro polling at short intervals helps create an illusion of dramatic shifts that don't really stack up imo.
                the big change has been LAB- and INDOs+.

FF+ a little\FG- a little.

Burton and Kelly must be immensely regretting their decision to pressure Enda into calling off the Nov election

Comment

Goin by these stats I don't think FG will hold 3 seats in Mayo or a possible 2 in Wicklow
                  Also SF seats about 4 to many, people will turn away from them nearer the day due to a fear of the left

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                    Goin by these stats I don't think FG will hold 3 seats in Mayo or a possible 2 in Wicklow
                    Also SF seats about 4 to many, people will turn away from them nearer the day due to a fear of the left
                    ah yeah, there's plenty of guesswork in there

Irish elections are 41 local affairs with lots of little sub-plots that outsiders invariably miss

Comment

FG out to 53.5 now - thats offering 1.66 so move to 54.5 is imminent. Wish I bet more at 51.5. Still possible value there IMO.

SF into 24.5.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                        FG out to 53.5 now - thats offering 1.66 so move to 54.5 is imminent. Wish I bet more at 51.5. Still possible value there IMO.

SF into 24.5.
                        Maybe not after Enda's performance in Castlebar this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by angle_grinder View Post
                          Maybe not after Enda's performance in Castlebar this morning.
                          Maybe he'll gain more seats.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                            Maybe he'll gain more seats.
                            I have no doubt it went down well with FG supporters.

Not sure it will go down too well with those sitting on a fence.

Comment

I have no doubt it went down well with FG supporters.

Not sure it will go down too well with those sitting on a fence.
                              FF are pansies m8

Comment

FF are pansies m8
                                Your debating skills are nearly as good as Enda's.

Comment

Your debating skills are nearly as good as Enda's.
                                  I think you will find that my debating skills are in fact far superior to yours. You couldn't dissect my post and address the points I made, instead you went on the attack. Bit like FF who are pansies m8.

Comment

I think you will find that my debating skills are in fact far superior to yours. You couldn't dissect my post and address the points I made, instead you went on the attack. Bit like FF who are pansies m8.
                                    I don't care if your debating skills are far superior than mine.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Fonkey View Post
                                        Joe Carey 3/1 in Clare constituency. Was as big as 5s earlier today. Sitting FG TD. Was 1/10 when market opened and was 1/6 a few days ago. The massive drift is because of a poll of 600 people the local paper ran in this weeks edition that showed him fairing poorly.
                                        Massive over-reaction to a small size poll. The general consensus was that he could come under pressure to keep his seat but think he may be worth a punt.
                                        Back to 1/1 now. Well done if you got on that. Crazy market; SF candidate went from 6/1 to 1/4 in one move.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          Surely you coulda used the five unemployed years to
                                          develop a bettter debating strategy?
                                          I'm hardly going to have a debate with someone about who is better at debating.

A bit of a low dig about me being unemployed for five years.

Hardly my fault if the Government of the last five years couldn't help solve the problems of unemployment, homelessness, social housing waiting lists, emigration and rising rents by the simple act of building homes.

I believe they built 28 social houses in 2015. I know for a fact they built 0 in my own county.

I was employed in the construction industry.
                                          Last edited by angle_grinder; 21-02-16, 17:33.

Comment

But that is the only debate about which the winner would be objectively correct.

Comment

A bit of a low dig about me being unemployed for five years.

Hardly my fault if the Government of the last five years couldn't help solve the problems of unemployment, homelessness, social housing waiting lists, emigration and rising rents by the simple act of building homes.

I believe they built 28 social houses in 2015. I know for a fact they built 0 in my own county.

I was employed in the construction industry.
                                              At this point u have started a debate by mentioning some possible fails of the outgoing government
                                              If u were out of work for the last five years u were surely sent on some up skill training as I was out of work for the last 2 months and they were putting me forward to do some training courses to help me get back to work, so while it was not ur fault u should be chomping on the bit waiting for the new government and all the new jobs they are about to create
                                              Thousands and thousands of new houses are only a button press away

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                But that is the only debate about which the winner would be objectively correct.
                                                Yeah but who would actually care about such a debate. I certainly wouldn't. That was my original point.

Comment

Yeah but who would actually care about such a debate. I certainly wouldn't. That was my original point.
                                                  So I won m8. Woop.

Comment

So I won m8. Woop.
                                                    Ha ha yeah you won by half the track. Congrats.

Comment

So I won m8. Woop.
                                                      Ha ha yeah you won by half the track. Congrats.
                                                      So basically FF are pansies.

Comment

On SF figures I can see them getting Ferris in Kerry ( not a big fan of some those constituency polls) and that's about it on what you predict.

On the other side I think Clare is very doubtful as is a 2nd in DSW and also Tipperary.

Furthermore if, as the polls today might suggest , SF are slipping back to about 15% then Carlow Kilkenny, Galway West and the 2nd seat in Louth are unlikely.
                                                        Last edited by BigDeal; 21-02-16, 22:49.

Comment

Just got on overs on FG at 50.5 line. Free money.

Comment

FF gonna collect most seats at this rate. Serious momentum.
                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                              FF gonna collect most seats at this rate. Serious momentum.
                                                              price? I'm hearing odds on in your post.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                price? I'm hearing odds on in your post.
                                                                Ah they're still 4/1 dogs but seat line has moved from 30.5 to 39.5 in a little over a week.
                                                                Last edited by The Situation; 22-02-16, 00:25.
                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by NiceandcoolTrig View Post
                                                                  Just got on overs on FG at 50.5 line. Free money.
                                                                  Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                  Ah they're still 4/1 dogs but seat like has moved from 30.5 to 39.5 in a little over a week.
                                                                  Some big moves in the seat lines in the last few hours:

Labour 8.5 8/13 under

SF 22.5

FF 39.5 Overs 8/11

FG 50.5

Others 38.5

FF/FG Coalition 4/6

Comment

So now I'm going to have to get on the over 50.5, so 51-60 = big pay day

Also fwiw in my many years(first year was probably 2009 didn't even know what the dole was before I signed up, so naive) in and out of employment for long lengths I have never once been offered a course or asked for proof of applying for jobs. Literally not one time, and I have gone on and off it for short term jobs and travelling and they never even asked why I stopped working or afforded the 9 months abroad lol.
                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Anyone have any thoughts on Dub South - West?
                                                                      Any value in a Ind like Zappone getting in or Labour getting a back door seat with Kearns?

It's left town down here but 5 seats up for grabs, surely there's a surprise to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                        Anyone have any thoughts on Dub South - West?
                                                                        Any value in a Ind like Zappone getting in or Labour getting a back door seat with Kearns?

It's left town down here but 5 seats up for grabs, surely there's a surprise to be found.
                                                                        My constituency.

Murphy, Crowe, Holland, FF, FG imo

Stunned that FG are running three candidates!
                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

My constituency.

Murphy, Crowe, Holland, FF, FG imo

Stunned that FG are running three candidates!
                                                                          Yeah, mine too.

Bit crazy about FG alright. The Warren candidate deployed in Tallaght to rob a few votes?

I'll go Murphy, Crowe, Brophy(FG) , Lahart(FF) , Kearns(Lab).

Think the expanding of the constituency to Rathfarnham/Templeogue will move the last couple of seats a bit to the right.
                                                                          That and the same boys that were lying under cars are about 20/1 to get out and vote.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                              Some big moves in the seat lines in the last few hours:

Labour 8.5 8/13 under

SF 22.5

FF 39.5 Overs 8/11

FG 50.5

Others 38.5

FF/FG Coalition 4/6
                                                                              SF line 24.5 again. Every time SF line goes in it shoots back out a few hours later. Someone is backing it.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                SF line 24.5 again. Every time SF line goes in it shoots back out a few hours later. Someone is backing it.
                                                                                You're getting a good sweat out of these weak opinion poll numbers for SF!

Unlike my FF Unders, the Hitch\Sitch combo cantering home.

Comment

You're getting a good sweat out of these weak opinion poll numbers for SF!

Unlike my FF Unders, the Hitch\Sitch combo cantering home.
                                                                                  Ya it will be close I feel. 18-23 looks likely imo.

Some surge for FF alright.

Comment

It's looking nearly certain now that it'll have to be a FG/FF coalition unless all polls are wrong. Mad stuff really. And SF gone from nothing to main opposition in less than 20 years.
                                                                                    FG / FF will be a great outcome for the country
                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

FG / FF will be a great outcome for the country
                                                                                      I assume you mean because it would hasten the flow of support for SF, as they both shoot each other in the foot?

If SF ever got in government, either as junior or senior partner one of two things would happen:

1. They would realise their policies are largely unworkable and work on a more pragmatic programme of government or
                                                                                      2. They would try to implement their policies as much as possible and they would bring the country to it's knees and they would get decimated themselves at the next election.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                        I assume you mean because it would hasten the flow of support for SF, as they both shoot each other in the foot?

If SF ever got in government, either as junior or senior partner one of two things would happen:

1. They would realise their policies are largely unworkable and work on a more pragmatic programme of government or
                                                                                        2. They would try to implement their policies as much as possible and they would bring the country to it's knees and they would get decimated themselves at the next election.

I don't view everything politics related through a Sinn Feinn prism. I have long argued that the yo yoing between two parties with no idealogical differences stifles political debate in this country and creates a power focused, auction policy driven and short term view amongst our politicians. If FG / FF merged, it would be a good thing in two ways:

- we'd get a very stable cohesive government for five years aligned on what it wants to do;
                                                                                        - we'd get a 2021 general election fought along left / right lines which I believe with keep the conversation on bigger society vision lines, which is where I think it should be

For SF, it could be a positive yes as they may be able to lead the left alternative. But I think it would be a generally good thing to allow Labour / SD / etc genuinely inhabit a leftist space rather than having the extent of their ambition be a ministry as a junior partner in coalition.

Anyway.

Comment

I don't view everything politics related through a Sinn Feinn prism. I have long argued that the yo yoing between two parties with no idealogical differences stifles political debate in this country and creates a power focused, auction policy driven and short term view amongst our politicians. If FG / FF merged, it would be a good thing in two ways:

- we'd get a very stable cohesive government for five years aligned on what it wants to do;
                                                                                          - we'd get a 2021 general election fought along left / right lines which I believe with keep the conversation on bigger society vision lines, which is where I think it should be

For SF, it could be a positive yes as they may be able to lead the left alternative. But I think it would be a generally good thing to allow Labour / SD / etc genuinely inhabit a leftist space rather than having the extent of their ambition be a ministry as a junior partner in coalition.

Anyway.
                                                                                          This is what I want too!

Another thing I want is a list system and a 5% quota for representation (thus taking Independents out of play).

Comment

The best thing might be if there is nothing really decided and Kenny, Martin, Adams and Burton all get replaced as leaders before the 2nd election. That would be an interesting outcome in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                              The best thing might be if there is nothing really decided and Kenny, Martin, Adams and Burton all get replaced as leaders before the 2nd election. That would be an interesting outcome in itself.

I wonder if Fine Gael will purposely angle for another election rather than just biting taking the hit and going into power with Fianna Fail. The Labour situation will become very interesting after the election. Burton doesn't look like getting elected so she'll be dumped as leader before a second election. Labour might see a solid rejuvenation in support with someone else in charge(maybe barring Alan Kelly) in which case it would give them a better chance second time around of being able to get in with Fine Gael and some others(social democrats for example).

Comment

Anyway.
                                                                                                Your second point here is very insightful and something I hadn't considered at all. It is painful whenever a real issue is being discussed and the dialogue disintegrates into sure look at the mess you left us with, no fuck you mate it was your mess in the first place. It's embarrassing actually.

Comment

...

Comment

Just can't see a second election happening. Its a bit like those second Euro referendums where you are essentially telling people you don't respect their original votes.
                                                                                                    Two scenarios where second election might happen - first, most obvious, if the new Dail fails to elect a new Taoiseach.

Second, where the government formed (either a minority govt, or a very fractured coalition) actually forms but doesn't last very long. Depends on the sense in which you mean 'second election'.

Think it was '81/'82 where we had 3 general elections over 18 months.

Comment

...

Comment

small bet for interest on local counsellor Rock in DNW, he's good bants.
                                                                                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

This is rather convincing on a FG minority gov.
                                                                                                          Varadkar to be next Taoiseach would be worth a small investment @ 18/1. Can't see a Government that Kenny would lead.

Comment

This is rather convincing on a FG minority gov.
                                                                                                            It's too small. If they had 70 seats, yeah maybe. 55 seats is too small, it's antidemocratic and everyone involved would get slated.

Comment

Joan Burton was 3/1 to be elected in powers today surely shes goosed?

Comment

Varadkar to be next Taoiseach would be worth a small investment @ 18/1. Can't see a Government that Kenny would lead.
                                                                                                                Despite the fact that the party he leads is about to lose 33% of the seats it held after the last election, there is no chance Enda gives up going down in history as the only FG leader to serve two consecutive terms as Taoiseach.

It will totally be down to if Martin goes for it. The greed of FF should never be under-estimated and having closed the gap so much in 3 weeks they might just believe they could overtake FG given another 3 weeks. It would be a very dodgy strategy to take as the public would probably punish whoever they believe are responsible for putting us through it all again.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                                                  Despite the fact that the party he leads is about to lose 33% of the seats it held after the last election, there is no chance Enda gives up going down in history as the only FG leader to serve two consecutive terms as Taoiseach.

It will totally be down to if Martin goes for it. The greed of FF should never be under-estimated and having closed the gap so much in 3 weeks they might just believe they could overtake FG given another 3 weeks. It would be a very dodgy strategy to take as the public would probably punish whoever they believe are responsible for putting us through it all again.
                                                                                                                  I still wouldn't rule out FF overtaking FG.

If FG are the bigger party I can see FF enter a voting pact with them to ensure stability but only with a new Taoiseach as I can't see how they would work with a nodding donkey like Enda Kenny.

Comment

I still wouldn't rule out FF overtaking FG.

If FG are the bigger party I can see FF enter a voting pact with them to ensure stability but only with a new Taoiseach as I can't see how they would work with a nodding donkey like Enda Kenny.
                                                                                                                    I doubt they even have enough candidates placed well enough in constituencies to catch them,also I haven't heard much analysis on the seat bonus FG will get if Labour poll around 6%.

As for not working with Kenny it wont be an issue. You are looking at 158 people who have just been given a 5 year contract @ min 85k a year . In FF's case most will be on more than that as they get Minister / Junior minister / committee heads etc.

FF will be hoping that they can get close enough to put a strong case forward for equal number of ministers and a rotating Taoiseach.I think they could get that through a vote of the membership and Martin could then point to the fact he has a mandate from the people and is party.

What is interesting is that using the current PP lines an FG/FF coalition would have 91 seats, a majority plus 12. The last government had 13 defections. I think there might be more than a few on both sides that might look at the Healy-raes etc and think they would have a better chance in the next election as an independent rather than having served as a back bencher in that coalition.

Comment

...

Comment

FF only have 71 candidates, and a lot of those are where they picked an unviable woman alongside an electable guy in order to meet the 30% female candidates quota. It seems they are going to be in the running for an extra seat in a few constituencies where they won't have a candidate available to take that seat.
                                                                                                                        FG have 87. Did you watch any of the Vincent Browne specials leading up to the election?

Some of their outgoing TD's are of an unbelievable poor standard. All they could do was quote a generic answer about how FF ruined the country anytime they were asked a tricky question, or any question in some cases.

Hardly surprising given how every time Enda was asked a question last night he answered a different one. A journalist compared him to a Leaving Cert student studying a poet for the Leaving Cert, a different poet coming up but he writes about the poet he studied for anyway.

FG ran a lot of nodding donkey's last time who got in because FF were toxic at the time.

My point is FG have a lot of ' electable guy's ' who might not be as electable this time.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by angle_grinder; 24-02-16, 11:41.

Comment

Betting Thread.

Bet suggested - FF to win most seats

Prices available here - http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/...ion/most-seats

Best Price currently @ 9/1. Worst price @ 9/2

Price Trend here

Verdict - No Bet

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X