Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    Ring up the estate agent and tell them you’ve an offer in on another house and it’s been accepted. Tell them you have a preference for this house but you’re happy to buy the other one if they aren’t ready to sell. Ask for an answer by cob tmrw.
    Its a sellers market. The answer will likely be "the client is holding off on a decision until next week, thanks for your interest anyway". What does he do then?

Say nothing until Friday week then start thinking about it again if no contact has arrived would be my advice. You can still look at other options in the meantime without backing yourself into a corner.

Comment

I'm not overly pushed on the house tbh but the other people involved like the area so if it doesn't happen it's no biggie.
      It's actually the convenience of it that's the biggest draw for me as it's currently vacant otherwise I'm happy to move on.
      I'll give them to the end of the week, I heard another house in the same estate is coming to market within the next week so lots of choice. Plus, the estate currently has a new housing development directly across the road so first time buyers and those using HTB are not competing so we're in a relatively advantageous position in light of it being a sellers market.

The buyer of my house is relatively eager to move as they want to build an extension so trying to accommodate them more the anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Its a sellers market. The answer will likely be "the client is holding off on a decision until next week, thanks for your interest anyway". What does he do then?

Say nothing until Friday week then start thinking about it again if no contact has arrived would be my advice. You can still look at other options in the meantime without backing yourself into a corner.
        All property markets are local. What do we know about this particular market?
        It’s a trader upper house not a “starter” home, they haven’t gotten a higher offer in 3 weeks and there is plenty of other stock coming down the track. Brady isn’t desperate so why let himself be used as a stalking horse?

Edit: sorry misread I thought he’d made the offer a few weeks ago. Let it lie another few days if its only a week.
        Last edited by V for Vendetta; 18-06-18, 12:15.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

All property markets are local. What do we know about this particular market?
          It’s a trader upper house not a “starter” home, they haven’t gotten a higher offer in 3 weeks and there is plenty of other stock coming down the track. Brady isn’t desperate so why let himself be used as a stalking horse?

Edit: sorry misread I thought he’d made the offer a few weeks ago. Let it lie another few days if its only a week.
          Apologies for that, I forgot I mentioned that. GF and I tied up our house a few weeks ago.

It's a bit complicated but basically my siblings and I own the house my mother lives in.
          It's too big and we're looking to downsize for her. I just happen to be the one dealing with it so its two different houses that are completely unrelated.
          End of the week and I'll give him a ring.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
            We have friends who are trying to buy in Dublin after being in Malta last 5 or so years. Seems like houses are like hens teeth. Been looking since January, put countless offers in and still can't get one. Just a standard 3 bed, but want to be in either Templelogue or a part of Walkinstown.

Are schools that good in Templelogue? They had to use the parents address just to get into the school. Was the one she went to as a kid.
            Schools are grand
            Area is nice and settled with lots of options re transport and things to do

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
              Apologies for that, I forgot I mentioned that. GF and I tied up our house a few weeks ago.

It's a bit complicated but basically my siblings and I own the house my mother lives in.
              It's too big and we're looking to downsize for her. I just happen to be the one dealing with it so its two different houses that are completely unrelated.
              End of the week and I'll give him a ring.
              You should look into a sheltered or supportive Retirement community and rent on her behalf. Food supplied in some cases, a ready made community on hand and below market rents typically. Downsizing and yet still having to look after a property makes little sense to me even if it’s smaller.
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

You should look into a sheltered or supportive Retirement community and rent on her behalf. Food supplied in some cases, a ready made community on hand and below market rents typically. Downsizing and yet still having to look after a property makes little sense to me even if it’s smaller.
                She's not that old but I might make that suggestion for a laugh, a couple of siblings still live at home too, I'm the oldest by a few years and still in my 20s.

The house is on a few acres so it's primarily additional upkeep and cost, the house we've viewed has far lower running costs and closer to work for everyone that'll live there. It's a relatively new estate house, far higher BER rating, garden is smaller, water on main lines, it's more those type of things than the sq footage of the actual house.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Mention of Logan's Run reminding me that I watched a few episodes of Altered Carbon last night - dystopian future sci-fi thing from Netflix.

Seems pretty good - any general consensus here that I missed?

Incidentally Chrome's spellcheck apparently doesn't know about the word 'dystopian' but is happy to suggest 'dystonia' as an alternative

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      V4V straight in with the practical Logan's Run solution to the housing crisis. I like it.
                      My mother is 63 and was dead set against it recently, until she went and visited the place. A two bed apartment which she can decorate as she pleases, gardens are managed, a common area and a cooked evening meal. The average age of folk is in their mid 60s and some are working and some are retired. Why wait until he decision is nursing home or stay with family? I’m talking about a modern place that takes the stress out and means you still have your own complete independence.

My mum is just planning for herself so that helps but if it encourages Brady’s siblings to push on and forage for themselves so much the better! I effectively moved out at 17 and officially was gone at 21. Cut the apron strings i say!
                      Last edited by V for Vendetta; 18-06-18, 13:38.

Comment

Comment

Since 17 I've been at home at christmas every year, odd funeral. I don't get some people.

How much would something like that cost V? I'd say my mother would love to get way from my father!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            Since 17 I've been at home at christmas every year, odd funeral. I don't get some people.

How much would something like that cost V? I'd say my mother would love to get way from my father!
                            It’s in Carlow for my Mam and it’s ~ 450pm for a one bed or ~600 for a two bed. This includes utilities a laundry room and an evening meal. It’s run by a charitable foundation called Sue Ryder in this case. I see they have one in Dalkey as well. There are often other local organisations providing a similar option but you need to do your research. There can be options colocated with nursing homes as well but that might be less palatable. I just think it’s all part of retirement planning as who wants house equity but living frugally in retirement?

Btw if your Mam is stuck in a marriage for financial reasons you should note she may be eligible for rental supplement as well in this case.
                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 18-06-18, 14:29.

Comment

By way of contrast, my mum (about the same age) sold her lovely apartment in centre of Dublin a few months ago with a plan to work out what to do next afterwards. As a result she has been living in a hotel for three months and absolutely no idea what to do. Think she's trying to make the rest of the family's copious stupid decisions (mainly mine, in fairness to the rest of the family) look good by comparison.
                              I think she should go on an extended visit to see her son and grandkids in France. Sure what could go wrong?

Comment

It’s in Carlow for my Mam and it’s ~ 450pm for a one bed or ~600 for a two bed. This includes utilities a laundry room and an evening meal. It’s run by a charitable foundation called Sue Ryder in this case. I see they have one in Dalkey as well. There are often other local organisations providing a similar option but you need to do your research. There can be options colocated with nursing homes as well but that might be less palatable. I just think it’s all part of retirement planning as who wants house equity but living frugally in retirement?
                                I'm actively looking at options for building a small development of about 5 units with some shared facilities like laundry and to be used as a independent living retirement residences that would initially be developed for people in the same extended family. If I can get it moving it will be a really interesting project.
                                My own father downsized in his 60's and TBH it wasn't really the right move, IMO even with the extra upkeep the home took he would have been better off staying where he was until his mid 70's and moving into appropriate accommodation then. At the moment in his late 80's I'm just about managing to keep him at home but I think retirement communities are the best way of keeping people independent and away from the nursing homes for the longest time.
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

By way of contrast, my mum (about the same age) sold her lovely apartment in centre of Dublin a few months ago with a plan to work out what to do next afterwards. As a result she has been living in a hotel for three months and absolutely no idea what to do. Think she's trying to make the rest of the family's copious stupid decisions (mainly mine, in fairness to the rest of the family) look good by comparison.
                                  She is blowing through you inheritance on room service.

Got to respect that she has convinced you that’s it’s a big whoops moment as she goes down to the spa.

Comment

Jaysus people in their 60s with that mindset is scary resignation to old age way before it's necessary. My mudder late 70s would run rings around these types .

Comment

Playing Trumps golf course tomorrow evening. First time ever playing links golf. Should be some craic !
                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                        Playing Trumps golf course tomorrow evening. First time ever playing links golf. Should be some craic !
                                        Enjoy. Links golf isn't for everyone. Haven't played in Doonbeg but blind tee shots on a links course can be heartbreaking. I do enjoy it though.

Favourite course in Ireland that I've played is the European Club. What a track

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                          Playing there in August along with Adare and Lahinch.
                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                            Playing there in August along with Adare and Lahinch.
                                            Ah deadly. Apparently Lahinch is a beaut. Was very close to pulling the trigger on the Old Head for myself and the oul lad for Father’s Day but tbh, Id rather play when I’m a bit better. Paying that much money to lose 60 balls isn’t the best decision.
                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-06-18, 17:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                Jaysus people in their 60s with that mindset is scary resignation to old age way before it's necessary. My mudder late 70s would run rings around these types .
                                                What mindset? She’s going to spend the money she’s freed up on travelling and enjoying herself. She’s just back from a trip to China.
                                                Why is minding a house for the grandkids inheritance a superior option? I think people just like hardship cos it’s somehow more noble. Fuck that.

Comment

Not sure how good Tunisia are but England look to be the best team seen yet.

Which, of course, will make the inevitable soul-crushing all the more hilarious. Mwhahahahaha.
                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The ROFLcopter takes to the skies.

Comment

Surely letter of the law = a red there?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        Surely letter of the law = a red there?
                                                        Na, it was stupid (as is his wont) rather than meant

Would have been a very harsh red

Comment

Were gonna win The Worl.....ahhh shit.

Comment

Not sure playing a one man midfield is the best move tbh

Comment

I have never got the whole parents wanting to leave $$$ for the kids etc. I would rather see my folks enjoy their retirement than worry about how much money I would get.

They own their house outright, and I know the time will come when my brother and I benefit from the sale. But it would not bother me if they sold the house and went travelling!

My grandparents did just that. They sold their house and their business and spent most of their time abroad. That's the way to do retirement.

I have a friend in Donegal who is Slovak, she has one house bought in Rathmullen, one she owns outright in Slovakia and she wants to get another so that each of her kids will have a house when they die. I think that is just crazy. She and her husband work their arses off just to do this.

My ideal retirement would be on a cruise ship 95% of the time, touring the world

Comment

What mindset? She’s going to spend the money she’s freed up on travelling and enjoying herself. She’s just back from a trip to China.
                                                                Why is minding a house for the grandkids inheritance a superior option? I think people just like hardship cos it’s somehow more noble. Fuck that.
                                                                Lol the mindset that mid 60s is old age. Fuck that . Nothing wrong with yer mammys mindset though . Blow it on the holliers cool but mix with all ages not a Feckin community of people waiting to be fed their last meal and you with about 30 years left. Tell yer mammy no offence . Her little boy is a bit clinical though. Imo of course.

Comment

I have never got the whole parents wanting to leave $$$ for the kids etc. I would rather see my folks enjoy their retirement than worry about how much money I would get.

They own their house outright, and I know the time will come when my brother and I benefit from the sale. But it would not bother me if they sold the house and went travelling!

My grandparents did just that. They sold their house and their business and spent most of their time abroad. That's the way to do retirement.

I have a friend in Donegal who is Slovak, she has one house bought in Rathmullen, one she owns outright in Slovakia and she wants to get another so that each of her kids will have a house when they die. I think that is just crazy. She and her husband work their arses off just to do this.

My ideal retirement would be on a cruise ship 95% of the time, touring the world
                                                                  Oops wrong person

Comment

Were gonna win The Worl.....ahhh shit.
                                                                    Your jp bet looking good so far. Shame on you

Comment

Crystal Cruises have a 108 night Miami to Monaco cruise (sailing west) that looks class. Hoping to blow the pension lump sum on something similar some fine day.

Comment

Your jp bet looking good so far. Shame on you
                                                                        Lingard should have it out of sight...

Comment

Lol the mindset that mid 60s is old age.
                                                                          Who said it is?

Comment

I can't imagine anything closer to being dead already that would be more dull than a cruise holiday.
                                                                            It amounts to much the same as being locked into a shite hotel for 20 hours a day. Ugh

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                              Who said it is?
                                                                              The mindset does

Comment

The mindset does

Moving to more suitable accommodation does not mean that you've given up and are sitting around waiting to die. At 65 if your in good health and run good you have 20 good and another 10 shitty years left. why on earth would anyone want to spend all their time and money trying to maintain a house thats too big and expensive

Comment

I can't imagine anything closer to being dead already that would be more dull than a cruise holiday.
                                                                                  It amounts to much the same as being locked into a shite hotel for 20 hours a day. Ugh
                                                                                  You are incorrect. Was in that camp until a post by Kayroo piqued my interest. Went on one for my honeymoon and it was class.

Comment

More like locked up 14 hours a day 8-9 of which you're asleep and the other 5 you're eating and drinking like a lord, chilling in the jacuzzi, or admiring the view on the high seas. Opening the curtains in a new place each morning wouldn't get old imo.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                      You are incorrect. Was in that camp until a post by Kayroo piqued my interest. Went on one for my honeymoon and it was class.
                                                                                      Your honeymoon is bound to be better than hanging around on a boat in your 70's with a bag of viagra, and the only chance of a shag is with someone in the same ballpark.
                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Cruise ship sounds like hell, but then again I've never been on one.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          Cruise ship sounds like hell, but then again I've never been on one.
                                                                                          Was highly skeptical myself but much like Zuut I absolutely loved it. Would 100% do again. Head off in the mid afternoon, bite to eat and a walk on the deck. Jacuzzi before a slap up dinner and dancing with the (now) wife.

Next day wake up in port and a bus awaits to take us to Florence. I'll have that. Amazing tours, lovely restaurant for lunch and more sightseeing before back to the ship. Off we go again. Blue Man Group for entertainment tonight. Incredible show.

Next morning awake in port near Rome. Off to the Vatican, Colosseum et al. Brilliant guides and more amazing food. Dinner in the very swankiest restaurant on the ship tonight.

Next day is a sea day so herself goes for an all day spa as I play the poker tournament (scoop for $3k) and then me and the two boys who made it to the last three hit the wheel as they get slaughtered and the Swedish suitcase salesman tries to sell me on the benefits of dried beef.

Every day something new and thoroughly enjoyable. Can do as much or as little as you like. 10 days is superb in my opinion but if the venues were good enough would happily go longer.
                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

check out the tourney structure from the cruise I was on. Couldn't bring myself to play it. $20 of each $60 bullet went to the house too.

Last edited by Guest; 18-06-18, 20:26.

Comment

Moving to more suitable accommodation does not mean that you've given up and are sitting around waiting to die. At 65 if your in good health and run good you have 20 good and another 10 shitty years left. why on earth would anyone want to spend all their time and money trying to maintain a house thats too big and expensive
                                                                                              Never mind . Point is clear you refuse to see it. Much like Trump fanboys.

Jeez cruises and moving into homes for the knackered. IPB where have the years gone you old goats.

Comment

Glad to hear this, doing 7 day one from Vancouver to Alaska in between trips either end for a late honeymoon in July. Want to see some whales

Comment

I don't think I would be satisfied with just one day in a destination like Rome, planning my 3rd visit now and have filled 5 days no problem. Somewhere like Norwegian Fjords i can see as more appealing for a cruise.
                                                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Everyone is different I guess, but milling around on deck and going on bus tours wouldn't be for me.

Comment

Doke's latest blog post is very good, some memories of one of the old boards.ie poker forum clusterfucks.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                        I don't think I would be satisfied with just one day in a destination like Rome, planning my 3rd visit now and have filled 5 days no problem. Somewhere like Norwegian Fjords i can see as more appealing for a cruise.
                                                                                                        Spent a few days in Molde on the piss for a champions league qualifier in 2013 (expensive)

Woke up the morning after the game feeling a bit rough and the room was blacked out, didn't know what was going on

Walked outside and one of these casting a shadow over the whole street:

I'd say as cruises go it would be savage, serious views

Comment

Praise Roy Hodgson though all the same.

Make kane take corners in 2014

Cut to 2014+4

Tunisian defenders think kane is taking corners

Left unmarked at the second post twice

2-1

THE LONG CON

Roy the legend strikes again.
                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I've only done it once, and it was a relatively short trip as a tester 5 days. But had a great time.

I suppose if somebody is a boring person generally, then a cruise ship would be boring.
                                                                                                            But if you enjoy eating, drinking, gambling, etc. Then cruise ship can be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                              Spent a few days in Molde on the piss for a champions league qualifier in 2013 (expensive)

Woke up the morning after the game feeling a bit rough and the room was blacked out, didn't know what was going on

Walked outside and one of these casting a shadow over the whole street:

I'd say as cruises go it would be savage, serious views
                                                                                                              Ruining Venice, horrible things.

Only people of culture and sophistication, such as myself, should be allowed into such places. Others, i.e. Americans and the rest of you, should be confined to locations with rollercoasters and chicken nuggets.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                Doke's latest blog post is very good, some memories of one of the old boards.ie poker forum clusterfucks.
                                                                                                                Trying and failing to remember who the Dan character was. Hardly Diamond?

Comment

Im thinking Danloulou (Shiverz)?

Wasn't he done after for something?

Comment

Rooney Dives

Comment

Both wrong I'd say. I don't want to say the name here, but pretty sure the surname begins with B.

Comment

He dead?

Yeah probably...

Ok...

Comment

Takes about two seconds to find the name, so probably enough said.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X