Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    Just checking, but is the inference here that the flop was due to people preempting Trump jokes and tuning out? I think that was the claim for a previous award show. Golden Globes?
    Why would you expect it to be any different doesn't matter the award show it's the same. And it isn't just "jokes" about President Trump that has people tuning out I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
      Why would you expect it to be any different doesn't matter the award show it's the same. And it isn't just "jokes" about President Trump that has people tuning out I imagine.
      What do you imagine it is so?
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
        What do you imagine it is so?
        Rich celebrities virtue signalling would be my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          Nah. Palace the better team for 60 minutes. Would have taken the draw at half time. Haunted
          I'm convinced you are a Scouse plant or a sycophant. Get busy will ya. I'm United worst critic but fully deserved victory today and pushing the bitters to 3rd. Oh yeah.

Comment

Rich celebrities virtue signalling would be my guess.
            Yeah... that's complete nonsense.

Much more likely to reflect a long term trend of TV viewership declining as a whole and not virtue signalling by celebrities.

Comment

Anyone interested in the topic of happiness, I have found Stanford's Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on it to be a very good overview of the field of study:

I won't say much because I'm not interested in the field of positive psychology anymore (and I want to read another chapter of Jordan Peterson's book, and listen to a Buddhist talk for my study group tomorrow before sleep).

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
              Am sure I do... still prefer to keep the leg.

It is not a great example, after 5 years of winning the lotto your happiness would go back to the level it was before, sure. But after losing a leg, your level of happiness would go back to the same level... nope, personally I don't accept that. You would come to terms with it and you probably would bullshit to your family/friends that life still great, but part of you would probably never get over it.
              I haven't read Sapiens, but the study on lotto winners and people who lost their legs is Brickman's 1978 study which has a long history of being misreported. At the time of publication the media incorrectly reported that the paraplegics returned to their previous happiness point after some time - hedonic adaptation.

This is wrong, the study did not find that, they were less happy. It has been misreported by people ever since. Dan Gilbert is partly at fault as he famously misreported it in a Ted talk.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
              The bit about it that was curious to me was that it said that there are those that can attain Nirvana but don't as they wish to help others that suffer. Begs the question about the others, how useful a way of thinking is if it can let you feel perfectly content and not care about the rest of the world.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Why would you expect it to be any different doesn't matter the award show it's the same.
                  I'm not suggesting it's any different. Both suggestions were equally ridiculous.

Comment

Yeah... that's complete nonsense.

Much more likely to reflect a long term trend of TV viewership declining as a whole and not virtue signalling by celebrities.
                    Your first sentence is very definite in its wording but your second indicates uncertainty.

Comment

Raoul has just been watching too much of the BBC World Service.

Comment

Your first sentence is very definite in its wording but your second indicates uncertainty.
                        Declaratory in response to bullshit, more nuanced in stating objectively provable facts open to interpretation.

Your position (virtue signalling celebs being the cause) is based on your own ideological position and has no reasonable basis. Therefore I can call it out as the manure of a male bull.

My position on the other hand has a factual grounding however I express it, as anyone sensible would do, with equivocation because nothing has one singular cause and I am not an expert in parsing Nielsen ratings. However, as the data shows a 5-year trend in declining viewership of television generally (combined effect of streaming and other media taking market share) then it's certainly more likely that the decline in Oscar ratings is related to industry trends as a whole as opposed to Jessica Chastain making reference to the Me Too movement.

But, you know, facts.

Comment

Declaratory in response to bullshit, more nuanced in stating objectively provable facts open to interpretation.

Your position (virtue signalling celebs being the cause) is based on your own ideological position and has no reasonable basis. Therefore I can call it out as the manure of a male bull.

My position on the other hand has a factual grounding however I express it, as anyone sensible would do, with equivocation because nothing has one singular cause and I am not an expert in parsing Nielsen ratings. However, as the data shows a 5-year trend in declining viewership of television generally (combined effect of streaming and other media taking market share) then it's certainly more likely that the decline in Oscar ratings is related to industry trends as a whole as opposed to Jessica Chastain making reference to the Me Too movement.

But, you know, facts.
                          I didn't state my opinion as fact hence the words "I guess". As you have stated you don't believe there can be any one singular cause and you are not an expert on the matter I suggest you are more open to others opinion even if you don't agree particularly in your tone of language.

Comment

Comment

A rather lowbrow reason for the decline of award ceremonies could be attributed to the surge in visibility of the day to day lives of said celebs via their social media accounts. Whereas previously seen as a chance to glimpse into the lives of the rich beautiful creatures, now there is no need as they'll live stream their shop run and selfie themselves on the shitter 24/7
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    A slightly controversial opinion but Martin Skreli aka 'pharma bro' seems to be facing 5-10 years in jail at the moment primarily because of being a dick rather than an actual criminal. Not sure it's a great idea to be sending people to jail because you don't like them.
                                    He's going to jail for defrauding investors and running ponzi schemes

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      Raoul has just been watching too much of the BBC World Service.
                                      I'm old enough to think this is a radio station still!

(isn't it? )
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Presume most people have face-unlock on their phone now (think it's part of most recent Android update)? Have rapidly gone from feeling sorry for the poor saps who need to type a code to access their phone, to feeling sorry for the poor saps who need to go to the effort of placing their finger on their phones.
                                        Nope? mine is fingerprint still. How is is an effort, you lift it up anyway, just do it with finger in right place.

You are such a showoff Hitch!

Comment

btw we were going to watch Shape of Water last night but the acquired copy was fairly shite, so switched to Three Billboards. Is there a decent copy of Shape out, or they're all a bit dodgy? (needs to not be dodgy on 100inch projector magnificence, not sure if screener copies are generally weak on that front).
                                          You were lucky. its shit. 5/10 at best
                                          There is a lot better out there

Comment

sigh. They encouraged the overthrowing of a Russian-friendly but fully democractically elected president in Ukraine.
                                            Very first sentence and you manage to blow it.

Ukrainian elections follow the template set by Putin. 'Democratic' is not the word (especially when you consider that Yanukovych then had dozens of unarmed protestors murdered). He fully deserved to be ousted. As does Putin, the old monster.

Comment

Does Peaky Blinders get better after season 1? Finding it ok but could take it or leave it after four or five episodes.

Comment

Presume most people have face-unlock on their phone now (think it's part of most recent Android update)? Have rapidly gone from feeling sorry for the poor saps who need to type a code to access their phone, to feeling sorry for the poor saps who need to go to the effort of placing their finger on their phones.
                                                Mine is a disaster... I wear brown contact lenses. When I remove lenses facial recognition doesn't work. When I put my glasses on won't recognise either so no good to me

Also hate the way the s8 moved finger scanner to the back of the phone.
                                                Her sky-ness
                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                  Just had my pacing wires removed. Wasn't even aware they were a thing, nevermind having them.
                                                  How did everything go ? Are you doing the physio, walking around ? Dont be in any rush to get discharged, you will wish you had longer in there in a few months.

How good was that first crap ?
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                    Mine is a disaster... I wear brown contact lenses. When I remove lenses facial recognition doesn't work. When I put my glasses on won't recognise either so no good to me

Also hate the way the s8 moved finger scanner to the back of the phone.
                                                    As far as I know only apple have a decent and actually secure face unlock (as their version takes a 3D map of your face). Samsung and other Android versions is basically just picture recognition that can be fooled by a photo and is worthless as a security feature (maybe this has changed with the S9?)

Comment

btw we were going to watch Shape of Water last night but the acquired copy was fairly shite, so switched to Three Billboards. Is there a decent copy of Shape out, or they're all a bit dodgy? (needs to not be dodgy on 100inch projector magnificence, not sure if screener copies are generally weak on that front).
                                                      1080 HD copies widely available. well worth the watch

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                        How did everything go ? Are you doing the physio, walking around ? Dont be in any rush to get discharged, you will wish you had longer in there in a few months.

How good was that first crap ?
                                                        I'm in hospital 26 days and counting. I'm so desperate to get out I'm even considering some live poker in City West.
                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Tickets for Bill Burr in Dublin go on sale Friday. http://3arena.ie/index.php/artist/bill-burr/2299
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                            Does Peaky Blinders get better after season 1? Finding it ok but could take it or leave it after four or five episodes.
                                                            2 is best season by far. Drops in standard again for me in season 3, 4 slightly better but not as good as two. Still well worth watching but it isn't gonna compete with the heavyweights
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Comment

That's the surface bit, all right. But really what's happened is they've trawled through every decision he ever made and found something to cling a prosecution to. The thing he has actually been convicted off is generally viewed as 'normal practice, just don't get caught' in the hedge fund world.

It wasn't a Ponzi scheme, and no investors lost money.

Don't mind him going to jail because of who he is, but it's quite an overreach by prosecutors imo.
                                                                  Seems legit

Comment

Comment

Anybody have an idea when tickets for the UFC in Dublin will go on sale??

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                        Has it been officially announced anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                          The fight night event at the end of April goes on sale tomorrow. So I'd guess Dublin will be on sale around the 10th April.

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                          Has it been officially announced anywhere?
                                                                          Nope. Not officially

Comment

Any news on the middleweight div, I'll be annoyed if this Whitaker guy gets through the year without a title fight and spoils the multi-sport competition.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                              Any news on the middleweight div, I'll be annoyed if this Whitaker guy gets through the year without a title fight and spoils the multi-sport competition.

He'll fight Yoel Romero before the year is out most likely. Wouldn't fancy Romero's chances given how the last fight went

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                Tickets for Bill Burr in Dublin go on sale Friday. http://3arena.ie/index.php/artist/bill-burr/2299
                                                                                Saw him in Galway when he was last here and really enjoyed it but didn’t think much of his last special

Comment

Yep, it gets better, but has a couple of ups and downs. There's only 6 eps in a season, so if you haven't taken to it by now, i'd give up. I really enjoyed it, but i was gripped from the start.

Comment

It'd teach you not to include it next year.

Comment

Ah the classic rewriting of history post. Yanukovych was fully democratically elected. The attempts to seriously overthrow him were well before the killing of protestors and supported by US, because he disagreed on making steps to become closer to EU. But it was his choice as President to decide that, while overthrowing a government through violence is hardly pro-democratic.
                                                                                      What the what?

Putin sent in snipers, with the full conniving of Yanukovych, to murder unarmed protestors.

You have gone off the deep end here.

Comment

Seems legit
                                                                                        To sexualise the issue, a hot girl can be a bitch and still get a boyfriend.

Shrkeli was an ugly cunt and so didn't luck out.

Comment

A week to go until the starter raises his flag at Cheltenham. €1,400 in the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp pot to date.

Enter today and win monies. EZ game.

Comment

Just give us a listen of that Wu tang album and he can fuck off
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                              Saw him in Galway when he was last here and really enjoyed it but didn’t think much of his last special
                                                                                              Dead babies in a septic tank.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                  Dead babies in a septic tank.
                                                                                                  Big Burr fan but more his Podcast or appearances on other's Podcast than his stand up.

I also seen him here, in the Iveagh Gardens and enjoyed it but for people's partners or whoever accompanied them he doesn't live up to the ticket.

Very Americanised in use of his sports analogy and language. Not sure a ticket price for the 3 Arena would be worth it for a non fan.

Comment

...

Comment

Permanent Full Professor of Finance on offer here Hitch, you coming back?

Comment

...

Comment

Hey.. Just wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking to buy a decent enough desktop computer. My son has decided he wants to be a 'YouTuber' and has been saving up for a while. He's got about €900 saved so far, so I guess it's time I started trying to figure out what we need and where's a good site to buy from. Not even sure if it's realistic to get anything decent within that budget as he'll be needing all the accessories (monitors etc) too, but I can throw in a few quid extra if needs be. I guess I can pick up all that kinda stuff on Amazon anyway.

Anyone got any idea where to look to buy something that would be capable of playing a game and obviously recording simultaneously. I've literally no idea, so I'll be looking to just buy it rather than build it. Any help with regards to what specs I need for this would be appreciated!

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                                                                              Hey.. Just wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm looking to buy a decent enough desktop computer. My son has decided he wants to be a 'YouTuber' and has been saving up for a while. He's got about €900 saved so far, so I guess it's time I started trying to figure out what we need and where's a good site to buy from. Not even sure if it's realistic to get anything decent within that budget as he'll be needing all the accessories (monitors etc) too, but I can throw in a few quid extra if needs be. I guess I can pick up all that kinda stuff on Amazon anyway.

Anyone got any idea where to look to buy something that would be capable of playing a game and obviously recording simultaneously. I've literally no idea, so I'll be looking to just buy it rather than build it. Any help with regards to what specs I need for this would be appreciated!
                                                                                                              If you use the boards pc upgrade forum they will pick out all the parts for you and one of them would even put it together for you as they love that stuff.

Comment

http://www.logicalincrements.com/ If willing to build yourself this is a great guide (though aimed more at gaming than transcoding video).
                                                                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Whitaker will be competing in the commonwealth games next month. He'll defend his belt Yoel in either June or August imo. There's probably time for a second MW title fight before NewYears. Jacare would be my pick for challenger (or a rematch)

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                  It'd teach you not to include it next year.
                                                                                                                  It's a good sport for a year long tipping comp. But it was probably the wrong division.

Feather or Lightweight were much more open imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    If you use the boards pc upgrade forum they will pick out all the parts for you and one of them would even put it together for you as they love that stuff.
                                                                                                                    Thanks.. I put up something on boards a while ago, but didn't get much feedback. Would building something be better than just buying something pre assembled?

Comment

That would work. There will be a clear champ in a given division on the 31st next year. HW would probably be less open than other divisions though. There's only really 4 possibilities and 2 would be much more likely.

Featherweight, Lightweight, Welterweight and Middle would be more open imo.
                                                                                                                      It's a good sport for a year long tipping comp. But it was probably the wrong division.

Feather or Lightweight were much more open imo.
                                                                                                                      I randomly chose one from your original 'good' list, so all your fault

Good to know there'll likely be at least one title fight anyway.

Comment

Thanks.. I put up something on boards a while ago, but didn't get much feedback. Would building something be better than just buying something pre assembled?
                                                                                                                        I've attempted to build a couple in the past. First time I messed it up with the wrong motherboard but 2nd time around I was fine.

You'll get loads for 900e for what you're describing unless it's very high-end gaming, provided you source the parts yourself.
                                                                                                                        I'd put up a thread saying my son wants XYZ including accessories for your budget, probably worth stating you want an operating system included in the price.

They recommend the parts and as Tar said ask a reputable member/mod could they recommend anyone to build or find a local computer store to build it.

Alternatively, I know a few sellers on adverts build to spec so it could be worth looking there.

Comment

I randomly chose one from your original 'good' list, so all your fault

Good to know there'll likely be at least one title fight anyway.
                                                                                                                          I meant the wrong division in hindsight. In Dec/Jan it looked like he'd fight much earlier. A bout of staph cancelled that and the commonwealth games are up now. He'll definitely fight once. Rockhold is talking about LHW now though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X