Tri Training Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackyback View Post
    If anything Wreck it should be the opposite you should be tapering down with little or no training, all the hard work is done at this stage. Another 12k run or swim this week will not do much for you.

Gl in the race i look forward to the TR.
    Thanks man, I just felt I needed one more good run this evening before tapering next week, and the swims are just to get used to the open water rather than for fitness. But yeah, it shouldn't be a huge deal.
    "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

Comment

Ok well some good news, my leg is fine to run on. I can't extend it fully - can't sprint on it - but otherwise it's fine. Cycling is still a little sore but I think it should be ok for Saturday. I'm definitely doing the race now anyway.

Went for a slow 8k run yesterday to test out the leg. Played basketball yesterday evening, took it very easy. Think I'll try another short slow run this evening, and maybe a shortish cycle too.
      "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

Comment

Originally posted by Wreck View Post
        Ok well some good news, my leg is fine to run on. I can't extend it fully - can't sprint on it - but otherwise it's fine. Cycling is still a little sore but I think it should be ok for Saturday. I'm definitely doing the race now anyway.

Went for a slow 8k run yesterday to test out the leg. Played basketball yesterday evening, took it very easy. Think I'll try another short slow run this evening, and maybe a shortish cycle too.
        I would give any other contact sport a wide birth this week as any twisting/turning could cause the injury to flare up again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackyback View Post
          I would give any other contact sport a wide birth this week as any twisting/turning could cause the injury to flare up again.
          Yeah I know, it's fucking annoying though because we have the tag rugby final on Wednesday and I really want to play after putting all the work in for the last two months. I'll make a decision on the day, but at the moment I'm leaning towards not playing.

Comment

Did a leisurely 12K in the rain last night, actually quite enjoyed it. Leg was a little stiff starting out but was fine once I got warmed up. It feels good this morning too, but I still can't fully extend it.

Going to a fitness class this evening, lots of core and upper body work to give the legs a rest.

Comment

Played a tag match last night, hadn't intended to but had to return a favour for a girl that has played for us a couple of times when we were short. On the plus side my leg was ok after a bit of a slow start. I never really went all out at any point, but got close to it a couple of times. Slight twinge this morning when I got out of bed, but was gone on the walk to work. Also played pretty well which was nice.

Have decided I'm going to play our own tag final this evening. I've put a fair bit of work into organising and running the team this season and think it would be a shame to miss out. If I pick up another injury so be it, there'll always be other races.

Comment

Well tag was bad, but could have been worse. We lost, and in trying to get back into the game I overdid the sprinting and tweaked my quad again. Thankfully it's not too sore today, so should be good for the race with another day's rest tomorrow. We pretty much all played terribly, was a bad end to what had been a really good season.

So this is it, no more training before the race. Hoping to leave Dublin at 11.00 tomorrow and get down to Achill nice and early. Want to have everything ready well in advance, having learnt that lesson at Gaelforce. Very excited about Saturday, and also a little bit nervous already.

Comment

The race was brilliant, one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. Was great to get out after all the training, and although there is loads of room for improvement I feel like I put in a good effort on the day.

The atmosphere for the whole weekend was super, and I felt it was far better organised than Gaelforce.

I was in the last sports wave at 12.00 which meant I had loads of time to eat and prepare in the morning. Got down to the start and the hanging around beforehand was starting to get to me, but thankfully we started pretty much on time. I had two friends in the wave who decided they wanted to go out fast and get into the kayaks first, so when I saw them speeding off I decided to go with them. Got to the water first and took a couple of seconds to psyche myself up for the swim.

The swim was the most disappointing aspect of the race for me. I really wasn't properly prepared for it, and when I tried to do front crawl I ended up swallowing half the lake. I waded most of the swim which was very tough on the legs, and did breaststroke for the rest of it. Really have to work on this for next year.

Once I was out of the water it took me a couple of minutes to get my shoes and socks on, again need to work on this. Started off running and felt really good, overtook most of the people who past me on the swim and the transition. I was up to about two-thirds of the way down the beach and up to about third in the wave when I got a really painful stitch. I think it must have been from swallowing so much water in the lake. I ended up having to walk for about ten minutes before it cleared up, but once it did I was back flying along. The descent from the hill run was my favourite part of the whole race, has so much fun bounding down. Finished the run very strongly and but again transitioned a bit slowly.

About 2k into the cycle I was finding it incredibly tough. At first I figured that I was just wrecked, but eventually I realised my back brake was jammed against the wheel and essentially I had been cycling with the brakes on since starting. Got off the bike and messed around with it for a minute or two before I managed to fix it. After that I got going again, got into a good rhythm and was spinning along nicely. Had a couple of people overtake me over the course of the cycle but for the most part I was the one doing the overtaking.

Overall we were really lucky with the weather, but the wind on the cycle was an absolute killer. I nearly lost the bike from under me a couple of times when it was blowing across me, and once we turned into it head on it was horrible, like moving in treacle. But I got through and once I got to the last 8k or so of the cycle I felt confident enough to really push on and force a good finish.

Managed to get in 2 hr 03 min and finished in 100th place overall which I was delighted with. As I made a few mistakes over the course of the race, if I was to do it again tomorrow I'm pretty sure I could shave at least ten minutes off this time, and it would have been cool to finish under 2 hrs. Having said that my goal was 2hrs10min so I'm ecstatic to have beaten that.

The rest of the night was great fun too, brilliant atmosphere in the hotel, everyone was friendly and easy to talk too. Got up to some of the gayest dancing of all time in the nightclub, was such a laugh. Also got unbelievably messy drunk, and at one point I thought the hangover was going to kill me. So worth it though.

Don't think I got to meet any boardsies which was a shame, but well done to everyone. Also well done to the organisers, it was a thoroughly enjoyable event - the sandwiches at the end were magic! I'll definitely be back in Achill next year, actually can't wait.

It's quite a weird feeling today now that I'm back home and it's all over. This race has been the goal for so long now, it's strange not to have anything to work towards. Think the only solution it so pick another race, the sooner the better!

Comment

eventually I realised my back brake was jammed against the wheel and essentially I had been cycling with the brakes on since starting.
                    I had to laugh at this, a whole 2km with the brakes on! Quality report though.

Comment

The race was brilliant, one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. Was great to get out after all the training, and although there is loads of room for improvement I feel like I put in a good effort on the day.

The atmosphere for the whole weekend was super, and I felt it was far better organised than Gaelforce.

I was in the last sports wave at 12.00 which meant I had loads of time to eat and prepare in the morning. Got down to the start and the hanging around beforehand was starting to get to me, but thankfully we started pretty much on time. I had two friends in the wave who decided they wanted to go out fast and get into the kayaks first, so when I saw them speeding off I decided to go with them. Got to the water first and took a couple of seconds to psyche myself up for the swim.

The swim was the most disappointing aspect of the race for me. I really wasn't properly prepared for it, and when I tried to do front crawl I ended up swallowing half the lake. I waded most of the swim which was very tough on the legs, and did breaststroke for the rest of it. Really have to work on this for next year.

Once I was out of the water it took me a couple of minutes to get my shoes and socks on, again need to work on this. Started off running and felt really good, overtook most of the people who past me on the swim and the transition. I was up to about two-thirds of the way down the beach and up to about third in the wave when I got a really painful stitch. I think it must have been from swallowing so much water in the lake. I ended up having to walk for about ten minutes before it cleared up, but once it did I was back flying along. The descent from the hill run was my favourite part of the whole race, has so much fun bounding down. Finished the run very strongly and but again transitioned a bit slowly.

About 2k into the cycle I was finding it incredibly tough. At first I figured that I was just wrecked, but eventually I realised my back brake was jammed against the wheel and essentially I had been cycling with the brakes on since starting. Got off the bike and messed around with it for a minute or two before I managed to fix it. After that I got going again, got into a good rhythm and was spinning along nicely. Had a couple of people overtake me over the course of the cycle but for the most part I was the one doing the overtaking.

Overall we were really lucky with the weather, but the wind on the cycle was an absolute killer. I nearly lost the bike from under me a couple of times when it was blowing across me, and once we turned into it head on it was horrible, like moving in treacle. But I got through and once I got to the last 8k or so of the cycle I felt confident enough to really push on and force a good finish.

Managed to get in 2 hr 03 min and finished in 100th place overall which I was delighted with. As I made a few mistakes over the course of the race, if I was to do it again tomorrow I'm pretty sure I could shave at least ten minutes off this time, and it would have been cool to finish under 2 hrs. Having said that my goal was 2hrs10min so I'm ecstatic to have beaten that.

The rest of the night was great fun too, brilliant atmosphere in the hotel, everyone was friendly and easy to talk too. Got up to some of the gayest dancing of all time in the nightclub, was such a laugh. Also got unbelievably messy drunk, and at one point I thought the hangover was going to kill me. So worth it though.

Don't think I got to meet any boardsies which was a shame, but well done to everyone. Also well done to the organisers, it was a thoroughly enjoyable event - the sandwiches at the end were magic! I'll definitely be back in Achill next year, actually can't wait.

It's quite a weird feeling today now that I'm back home and it's all over. This race has been the goal for so long now, it's strange not to have anything to work towards. Think the only solution it so pick another race, the sooner the better!
                      See you at WAR in two weeks then Well done on completimg the race, what was the course/distance on each section?

Comment

See you at WAR in two weeks then Well done on completimg the race, what was the course/distance on each section?
                        1K run to the lake, 450m swim, 8.5k off road mountain run, 22k cycle.

What date is WAR? Was considering the South Coast Endurance Race down in Skibbereen on 16th October, or maybe the Sea2summit thing in Westport mid November.

Comment

1K run to the lake, 450m swim, 8.5k off road mountain run, 22k cycle.

What date is WAR? Was considering the South Coast Endurance Race down in Skibbereen on 16th October, or maybe the Sea2summit thing in Westport mid November.
                          It is on the 25th September in Glenmalure Wicklow, there is a full one and a sports option. You would be well able for the full i reckon, they changed the course last week and took the kayak section out. It's a 17.5km run, 41km cycle and an obstacle course at the end.

Comment

It is on the 25th September in Glenmalure Wicklow, there is a full one and a sports option. You would be well able for the full i reckon, they changed the course last week and took the kayak section out. It's a 17.5km run, 41km cycle and an obstacle course at the end.
                            http://glenmalure.wicklowadventurera...urse-7-stages/
                            Very tempted, but I have to go to a wedding that day. Suppose I could skip the church and hope no-one notices.

I was talking to a few more seasoned racers over the weekend and I think I'm going to stick with the sports distances for the next year or two, while I still have a bit of speed on the runs. Apparently most people don't reach their peak for the longer distances until 35 or so, so I figure I'll have plenty of time to do some marathons and the full events at that stage. I really enjoyed the freedom of being able to go all out in Achill without having to worry about being able to finish, sprinting past people on the run to the lake and on the end of the proper run was a lot of fun .

Comment

Working...
                            X