Bubble play during satellite for big event ticket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bubble play during satellite for big event ticket

I would really appreciate some critique on the way I played in a satellite for a 1100 euro IWF ticket' Basically there were 4 tickets and 5 players left

The stacks were
    player 1 : 85,000
    player 2 : 37,000
    player 3 : 41,000
    player 4 : 38,000
    HERO : 41,000

Blinds are 1,000, 2,000

At this stage what was happening a lot was one player would min raise to 4,000 and another would jam then the initial raiser would fold.

I pick up A, J and player 2 jams....I fold......I hate this here.

Reasons to fold
    I could be dominated.
    The less risky approach would be to fold and let 2 of the other players go to war

Reason to call
    I am probably dominating his range..I don't think he was that strong. He was probably thinking the pressure of the bubble would be too much for me...he was right.
    5 handed AJ is a nice hand

I actually folded and ended up going card dead and bleeding chips until I ran AQ into AK

Was I being too nitty?

Suggestion, critiques appreciated

nothing wrong here IMO.WP UL
    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Nothing wrong there either I agree.if im reading right above u were 3 spots to act after his jam? If he was utg and jammed, likely u were dominated or at best racing. It was just bad luck another 2 players didnt clash prior to u bleeding a load of chips.I reckon this was a good fold given the stack sizes were all similar

Comment

You just got unlucky the way things worked out.

You say you went card-dead... sometimes you just have to jam any 2 cards, once it's folded to you in order to keep ahead of the blinds and antes.

The key to sats like this is to get your money in first, then only premium hands are supposed to call (AA,KK).
        If 2 players go to war before the action gets to you, then folding is the only correct play,if the ticket is at stake, regardless of what cards you have.
        Last edited by Fiery Wasabi; 24-10-12, 12:24.

Comment

Yeah, he jammed in the small blind after I raised UTG+1.

I wouldn't say that I was at best racing....his range could have been at low as J,K - K,Q - A,10 which I would have been well ahead of. I agree with trying to get the money in first that is why the jam after the initial raise was working during the bubble period.

My thought is that 5 handed on an active table (these players were definitly not tight) It was tough to get the money in first and each round had a raise and jam. Given these factors is A,J too strong to fold in this scenario (just a thought in retrospect)

Comment

It is definitely a fold here. Playing a sat here is definitely a matter of survival, you never want to be putting your money in in a marginal spot.

You should rather be shoving from late with an extremely wide range as players calling ranges will be so tight in this scenario.

I would definitely say its a fold and the fact you went card dead is kind of irrelevant, you should be just putting on max pressure on short stacks!!

I wouldnt be worried about making the fold here and maybe rather have a look over the HH and see spots where you maybe should have been picking up some dead money.

BTW unless he is a very competent player who has a decent sample on you which suggests your fold to 3 bet% is quite high I would say your defintely behind with AJ!!
            I would imagine is range is quite tight and hes folding out A10 maybe even AJ and probably any pair 77 and under!!
            So your in pretty bad shape against his range imho!!
            Last edited by Guest; 24-10-12, 14:40.

Comment

I agree with the general consensus here. calling off with Aj to an utg jam on the bubble, i fold all the time. I dont think you made a mistake at all. At the same time, im never folding for the rest of the tournament until 2 other players clash. I am jamming a lot of my range wen its folded to me in order to keep my stack up, but i wont call off too light unless i manage to get dangerously low. If you jam most of your range when folded to you, and you get called, ul gg but i think it has to be done to keep stack maintained

Comment

Thanks for all the feeback. I feel it was close but a fold was probably the right decision is this scenario.

Comment

WP, folding here is standard and your shouldnt second guess yourself on it.

You should be folding AK as well FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by tenbob View Post
                    You should be folding AK as well FYI.
                    I'm pretty sure ICM would disagree

Comment

Originally posted by sdemps View Post
                      I wouldn't say that I was at best racing....his range could have been at low as J,K - K,Q - A,10 which I would have been well ahead of.
                      Being ahead of his range isn't really a deciding factor.
                      Even if you were a 2/1 favourite (which you aren't), you still go home with no ticket 33% of the time. Tha'ts quite often.
                      By folding, you miss out on a ticket maybe 25% of the time. Folding is easily the least risky option, which is all we care about at this stage.

Comment

Working...
                      X