IPO 2013 Spot near bubble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPO 2013 Spot near bubble

Just a few players off the bubble in this years IPO.

Player A 290K
    Player B 260K

Blinds 6/12k Ante 1k
    Average around 260K

Player A not interested in min cash has been opening most hands when
    folded to him and isn't afraid of getting involved in big pots.Either folding when 3bet or winning uncontested so not much showdown.

Player B has been playing TAG not showing down much hands but seems to have it
    when he needs it. He's not folding to the money but not getting involved lightly. Has been checking the clock every few minutes could be checking how close the bubble is or just confirming blinds and antes.

Over a couple of hours some of the (recent) hands of note :
    B shoved over A's raise on Q-Q-7 flop with two spades in raised pot which was 5-way with loads in the middle.
    B flatted A's button raise in SB and check called with JJ and won when A had '1 pair' on a 9 or 10 high board.
    B check raised k-q-9 board after flatting one of A's button raises and took it down

ACTION:

Folds to Player A on the cut-off who makes it 30K odd.
    Player B on the button doesn't hesitate to shove his 260K in the middle.

What is A's calling range?
    Last edited by Bubbleboy; 21-10-13, 19:26. Reason: Typo

A's calling range, no? 66+,ATs+,AJo+ is probably correct, could call a bit wider like 55+,KQs, A9s+, ATo+ based on reads though. Like in a vacuum I'd discount the bladed end of a range after shoving so quickly, but def expect a lot of pretty stuff that villain decided was eminently playable before it got to him, or subsequently decided would do well enough jamming over a wide open.
    Last edited by Winning!; 21-10-13, 17:01.
    "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

It's very tough to say as it is very much read dependant. In a vacuum I'd probably go with Winning!'s calling range but in some situations my calling range would be a lot tighter, like I'd seriously consider folding 99 or KQs, exploitable though that is.

The main factors are
      (a) how do you interpret player B's ranges with the bubble approaching
      (b) can A keep chipping up easily without showdown or major risk (if so, then I would pass on very marginal spots here)?

The JJ hand is the most interesting and pertinent. How do we interpret the fact he didn't threebet to get it in or jam? Is he so keen on cashing his reshove range is very tight (he's only jamming better than JJ and AK) in which case our calling range should be very tight (most live recreational players play bubbles this way), or is he a good thinking player who thinks flatting jacks will show a bigger profit long term (in which case he is probably jamming only worse hands)?
      My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Originally posted by Winning! View Post
        A's calling range, no? 66+,ATs+,AJo+ is probably correct, could call a bit wider like 55+,KQs, A9s+, ATo+ based on reads though. Like in a vacuum I'd discount the bladed end of a range after shoving so quickly, but def expect a lot of pretty stuff that villain decided was eminently playable before it got to him, or subsequently decided would do well enough jamming over a wide open.
        that feels to wide to me, nobody likes bubbling live.

Comment

Just assumed he'd jam top 10% (less KK+) that quickly. Felt generous vs hero opening every time it's folded to him. Only need about 42% to call but the bottom of that range will have 45%+ if he's shoving 10%+ of hands..
          "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Winning sorry for Typo I have edited this.I find that range very loose but I know I need to work on range in these kind of high variance spots so I appreciate your feedback.

Doke this is a reverso,I actually was player B so my interpretation of my reputation might be slightly skewed but I have tried to be as unbiased in my review of the previous hands as possible. A thinking player would have to view me as TAG as I wasn't playing many hands and my range I think has to be super tight here. I thought it was clear I was conscious of the bubble and that it was important to me. Player A could definately pick up chips in later spots as bubble could be abused on this relatively easy table.

I would be very interested as to anyone else on the tables view of the hand/my image but
            I'm not sure if any of them are on here. Player A's name was Dave Caffrey.

On the Q-Q-7 and K-Q-9 boards I had it but it may have seemed like I was the only one playing back at him.

The J-J hand was something in the middle of the two polars you have offered Doke. I didn't want to 3bet fold and I am a nit so I prob would have folded to a 4bet all in.I also wanted him to catch some bit of his bag of spanners and give me donations on further streets which he did.I'm too obsessed with pot control though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleboy View Post
              I would be very interested as to anyone else on the tables view of the hand/my image but
              I'm not sure if any of them are on here. Player A's name was Dave Caffrey.
              I'd just fold everything vs that run good cunt. Rumour has it he ghosts for Jude Ainsworth.
              It's all an illusion

Comment

Working...
              X