No More Fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I quite like the KB Snatch!!!
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
      I quite like the KB Snatch!!!
      *Shrugs*
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        *Shrugs*
        Ha. Nah just one of those personal preferences I guess. I like Cleans as well, I dislike pull ups and benching. Suppose everyone has their preferred movement, key I guess is not letting them become a weakness.
        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Ha. Nah just one of those personal preferences I guess. I like Cleans as well, I dislike pull ups and benching. Suppose everyone has their preferred movement, key I guess is not letting them become a weakness.
          It just seems like such a precise high skill movement where getting certain aspects wrong (not hip snapping correctly or punching through and catching right) involves hurting yourself! Seems like programming should avoid it on that basis alone.

CFI never program the sumo deadlift high pull for example, with good reason - and won't allow rebounding back up on box jumps.
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

It just seems like such a precise high skill movement where getting certain aspects wrong (not hip snapping correctly or punching through and catching right) involves hurting yourself! Seems like programming should avoid it on that basis alone.

CFI never program the sumo deadlift high pull for example, with good reason - and won't allow rebounding back up on box jumps.
            Yeah. I can see that. I guess when you get your clean down pat you'll find it a lot easier. Transferable skills. Hip and punch snapping at same time is key from what I gather.

Looks like your killing it anyway so dont sweat the hard things, get stuck in. Its done well for you so far!

Comment

Looks like your killing it anyway so dont sweat the hard things, get stuck in. Its done well for you so far!
              Well, I'm showing up and genuinely trying. And enjoying it. No major physical / fitness progress yet though - long way to go.

Comment

I'd be a fan of KettleBell snatches too. Hoping to work up to 100 reps @ 24kg in 5 mins.
                It's a pretty awkward movement, but done well its a pretty efficient way to getting the weight overhead imo. Same idea with olympic snatch and clean really, awkward as hell but once you get the technique down you can lift far more that way.

I've no idea how CF teach Kettlebell snatches. But I found concentrating on the movement in and out of the lockout, and minimising the length of travel made them flow much better. Drop into a quarter squat to reduce the height at which you catch it if you need to.

Comment

Yeah, I think the KB Snatch is the first movement I've seen that I think is a load of pure Crossfit bollocks.
                  Genuine LOL.

Sounds like you just want to lift shit and not do the fancy things. I know that feeling. Like is it really worth the effort learning that when you could be doing a compound lift instead? I dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                    Genuine LOL.

Sounds like you just want to lift shit and not do the fancy things. I know that feeling. Like is it really worth the effort learning that when you could be doing a compound lift instead? I dunno.
                    Kind of! If it was Squat / Press / Deadlift / Clean / Squat for the five days each week I'd be delighted. And they don't program overhead pressing much at all which is slightly disappointing.

Though I can totally see the merit to spending time on the Olympic Lifts - getting better at them will mean you're moving far more efficiently and explosively so they're well worth it.

I mean, I couldn't complain about the instruction on it. We got a very clear video and during the metcon Will broke down the movement for me and got me to doing a few properly. I'll just have to get on with them when they're programmed again.

Comment

Workout 34, Saturday 30th 11:00am

Drank all the drink yesterday, stinking hangover this morning.

Warmup

Foam rolling
                      Light rowing
                      Stretching
                      Scap prehab stuff

Strength Movement

Establish a 1RM Power Clean and Push Jerk
                      Bar work
                      40kgs
                      42.5kgs
                      45kgs
                      47.5kgs
                      50kgs
                      52.5kgs
                      55kgs
                      57.5kgs

Never in danger of missing one but time ran out.

Metcon

Baseline Retest:

Row 500 metres
                      40 Air Squats
                      30 Sit Ups
                      20 Push Ups
                      10 Pull Ups (Black Band, slot 14)

Originally posted by 26th January
                      Struggled through in 12 mins 36 seconds.
                      Originally posted by 23rd February
                      10 minutes and 35 seconds today so a decent enough improvement over the four weeks
                      8 minutes and 17 seconds today. Felt like throwing up towards the end of the push ups owing to yesterday's excellent preparation. These times speak for themselves ultimately - progress is being made in terms of cardio work capacity.

Been told to go to Green Band, slot 10 for the pull ups going forward and start working from there.

Comment

Cheers Ian, hope you're well

Haven't been weighing myself! Just focussing on eating better and consistently applying myself at training. Belt is a notch tighter and I've noticed a small amount of upper body adaptation but there's no point worrying about the scales as of yet imo.
                        Good man LLoyd. Keep up the good work!
                        Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Nice job with the baseline workout.
                          The work you are putting in is obviously showing.

Comment

Workout 35, Monday 1st 10:00am

Warmup

Foam rolling
                            Stretching
                            10 Minutes: Every even minute: 3 Push Ups; Every odd minute: 3 kettlebell snatches for both arms

Skill Movement

Every 30 seconds for 4 minutes:

1 Power Snatch @ 45kgs

Then, when the clock hits 5:00-

3:00 to complete:

3 X ME UB (unbroken) Power Snatches @ 40kgs

*Notes: The ME UB Power Snatches are basically UB touch and go reps. Score is the total of all 3 sets, within the 3:00 cap.
                            Got all reps done during the first 5 minutes. Not the smoothest, but not dreadful. However, when the 3 minute touch and go portion started I realised that I just couldn't set myself well at the bottom and driving back up would be unsafe. So I dropped from the top and did as many proper reset Power Snatches as I could manage.

Coach did not like this.

'How are you going to learn to touch and go snatch if you don't practice it?' Why the fuck do I need to worry about touch and go snatches at this stage? I'm struggling to learn and achieve consistency with an incredibly technical movement and it's hard enough for me to do them with full reset at the moment. Seems totally reasonable that I was unwilling to compromise my form / safety for what was programmed today. During the demo there was some bollocks about how this is an important element of competitive crossfit. What do I care about competitive crossfit at this stage?

Meh, some will disagree here obviously but not buying what is on sale for this one. Seems very inconsistent to preach 'good form and movement is the priority' then program a movement variation where form is highly likely to break down and expect everyone to just do it.

Metcon

20 Minute Cap:

3 Rounds of:

500 Metres Row
                            21 Kettlebell Swings @ 24kgs
                            12 Ring Rows
                            Got 6 Ring Rows from the last round done before time expired. Row times were: 1 min 46 secs; 1 min 49 secs; 1 min 50 secs. Not a dreadful collapse but I'm still struggling with consistent pacing all the way through the Met Cons.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmc38 View Post
                              Good man LLoyd. Keep up the good work!
                              Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Nice job with the baseline workout.
                              The work you are putting in is obviously showing.
                              Thanks lads (and everyone else who has posted) for the encouragement. Was delighted with Saturday to be honest because it proves to me that I am getting fitter and capable of doing more work in less time.

That said, I'm definitely beginning to think that some of the Crossfit stuff is actually counter to my basic goals. I just want to get generally fitter, stronger and more flexible (generally healthier really). I'd be more than happy to be going up and doing the simpler less technical movements consistently. The skill stuff leaves me very cold. At present, programming is built around the idea that the 'crossfit season' is on. Now, I've yet to receive my knee friendly scheduling for the rest of the week but some of what is programmed this week doesn't appeal frankly:

15 minute AMRAP of:

50 Double-Unders
                              12 Toes-to-Bar
                              3 Wall Walk
                              I could just see myself being frustrated for 15 minutes and not achieving a whole lot in the process. Is that a bad attitude? Sure. But I just want to get work out - I'm not going to the Crossfit games anytime soon and I don't need gymnastics practice to keep me interested (I know that some of the lads on here get bored / want to try other things after years training but that really isn't an issue for me right now).

Meh, learning how to do a range of stuff and what I like / don't like or what works / doesn't work for me over the course of the year will be invaluable.

Comment

Jaysus I was grumpy yesterday eh?

Workout 36, Tuesday 2nd 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                Static stretching
                                Leg Swings
                                Lots of dynamic stretching

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts

2 @ Bar
                                2 @ 60kgs
                                2 @ 70kgs
                                2 @ 80kgs
                                5 x 5 @ 92.5kgs (Will, tongue firmly in cheek: '2.5kgs every week and you'll have 130kgs added in a year' )

Grip felt stronger this week. Dropped it from the top after the last rep of the fifth set (i.e. didn't hold on to get it racked) but otherwise held on much better. Find these very tough but it's a great movement.

Metcon

15 minute AMRAP of:

35 Situps
                                12 Pendlay Rows @ 50kgs
                                3 Wall Walks
                                Haven't done a barbell row in quite some time, Will was happy with my form on them. Could have gone a little heavier tbh. Got three rounds done in the 15 minutes. Me and wall walks don't get on.

Very enjoyable workout, pretty wiped after though.
                                Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 09-04-13, 19:24.

Comment

Workout 37, Wednesday 3rd 18:30pm

Wednesdays, sigh. Always requires the big heart.

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                  Stretching
                                  Light Rowing
                                  Leg Swings
                                  Wall Slides
                                  Dynamic Stretching

Skill Movement

7 of Two Hang Power Cleans + 1 Push Jerk

Bar
                                  40kgs
                                  42.5kgs
                                  45kgs
                                  47.5kgs
                                  50kgs
                                  52.5kgs x 2 (Push Jerk was poor on this one so repeated it)

Coach reckons my Push Jerk is generally coming along a lot better. Getting the timing of the movement straighter in my own head.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

3 Rounds of:

15 Push Ups
                                  15 Kettlebell Swings @ 24kgs
                                  15 Pull-ups
                                  Used the green band, slot 10 on the Push Ups for the first time. 'Get stronger and it will get easier' is the verdict and I can't argue with that. Was three Pull Ups short of finishing it out which was gutting - really thought I'd be able to finish but the Pull Ups sucked up too much time.

I'll see what 13.5 (the last Crossfit Open workout) will be tomorrow morning and I'll attempt it if it's in anyway knee friendly. Otherwise, couple of days rest before Saturday morning.
                                  Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 10-04-13, 19:33.

Comment

I'll see what 13.5 (the last Crossfit Open workout) will be tomorrow morning and I'll attempt it if it's in anyway knee friendly. Otherwise, couple of days rest before Saturday morning.
                                    There's some serious hype around this event announcement. They announcing it in front of a stadium crowd (who bought tickets ) and the top few guys will go head to head then and there.
                                    All the usual spiel, "first time ever", "push through the pain barrier", etc.

Starts in an hour, live feed will be here games.crossfit.com
                                    I'm getting a little sucked in by the hype.

Comment

There's some serious hype around this event announcement. They announcing it in front of a stadium crowd (who bought tickets ) and the top few guys will go head to head then and there.
                                      All the usual spiel, "first time ever", "push through the pain barrier", etc.

Starts in an hour, live feed will be here games.crossfit.com
                                      I'm getting a little sucked in by the hype.
                                      Watched it there. Great craic really. The sport of...fitness!! That said, the top athletes are exceptional, watching Froning go at it is something alright.

They announced all of the Open events in this fashion. Crossfit does seem to be very good at self promotion: the participation levels speak for themselves.

As it is, I won't be giving it a shot myself. Thrusters are not knee friendly.

Comment

Masterclass in self promotion. I'm really split on the whole spectacle really.
                                        On one hand, I enjoy the competition at the top, the events,a few guys going at it in the final etc. very much reminds me if Worlds Strongest Man, only based on conditioning and strength.
                                        On the other, it bugs me when they say "fittest man on earth". There's 1000s of elite athletes who dont compete - unlike WSM where the competitors are likely the strongest men in the world.
                                        I know this is just promotion, but it filters down and people claim to be Ireland's 3rd fittest person etc.

Have you done "Fran" yet? Very similar to 13.5.
                                        I might give it a shot next week, no chance of completing 3 rounds though.

Comment

Friday 5th, 15:00pm

At a loose end so dropped into the Swan Leisure Center in Rathmines. €6 to train, gym has a power rack, bench and a spare barbell with decent enough floor space. Good value and was quiet.

Strength

Bench Press:

8 @ bar
                                          5 @ 50kgs
                                          5 @ 60kgs
                                          5 @ 70kgs
                                          3 x 5 @ 75kgs

Overhead Press:

5 @ bar
                                          5 @ 40kgs
                                          5 @ 42.5kgs
                                          3 x 5 @ 45kgs

Pendlay Row:

8 @ 50kgs
                                          3 x 8 @ 55kgs

Skill

5 x 3 Hang Cleans + 1 Push Jerk @ 50kgs

Light messing around really. Quite satisfying to be able to do cleans and jerks in the land of the bicep curl I must admit. Push Jerk is definitely something that I understand. Hopefully the other Olympic things will come with time.

Comment

Masterclass in self promotion. I'm really split on the whole spectacle really.
                                            On one hand, I enjoy the competition at the top, the events,a few guys going at it in the final etc. very much reminds me if Worlds Strongest Man, only based on conditioning and strength.
                                            On the other, it bugs me when they say "fittest man on earth". There's 1000s of elite athletes who dont compete - unlike WSM where the competitors are likely the strongest men in the world.
                                            I know this is just promotion, but it filters down and people claim to be Ireland's 3rd fittest person etc.

Have you done "Fran" yet? Very similar to 13.5.
                                            I might give it a shot next week, no chance of completing 3 rounds though.
                                            Like anything, if it grows to a point where there are enough prize money / sponsorship incentives you can bet that more and more outside NFL shots will start focussing on it from a younger age. From what I understand, the talent levels have risen significantly over the past two years, and the strength criteria for games level athletes is through the roof. But yes - ultimately there are likely a couple thousand rugby / NFL / other athletes that would give Froning a run for his money if they were thus inclined.

Have avoided Fran up to now and am not unhappy about that. Looks brutal.

Comment

Workout 38, Saturday 6th 11:00am

Warmup

Light rowing
                                              Dynamic Stretching
                                              Wall Slides

Strength Movement

EMOM for 14 minutes alternating:

1a) 1 Hang Power Snatch @ 40kgs

1b) 3 Deadlifts @ 105kgs
                                              Dropped the Deadlifts from the top and just got straight to it each time. Safer. Could have gone heavier on them, quite comfortable. The Hang Power Snatches are another story - had to press out the last couple, form broke down as the minutes went on.

Interesting way to do strength work.

Metcon

4 Rounds:
                                              20 Seconds Max Effort Kettlebell Swings @24kgs, 10 Seconds rest
                                              -then (no rest)-
                                              4 Rounds
                                              20 Seconds Max Effort Dumbell Push Press @15kgs each dumbell, 10 Seconds rest
                                              -then (no rest)-
                                              2 Rounds
                                              20 Seconds Max Effort KB Swing @24kgs, 10 Seconds rest
                                              -then (no rest)-
                                              2 Rounds
                                              20 Seconds Max Effort Dumbell Push Press @15kgs each dumbell, 10 Seconds rest
                                              6 minutes of hell. The Open is over so I would expect normal training to be back on the agenda for next Friday so I think I'll drop Monday and go Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat. We'll see.

Comment

Workout 39, Tuesday 9th 18:30pm

Warmup

Leg Swings
                                                Stretching

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts

2 @ Bar
                                                2 @ 60kgs
                                                2 @ 80kgs
                                                1 @ 90kgs
                                                5 x 5 @ 95kgs

Grip better again. Next week is a 1 rep max Squat test for everyone. Might ask if I can find out where my Deadlift is instead, we'll see.

Metcon

1 min Max Effort Kettlebell Swings @ 24kg

*Rest 1 minute.

3 min AMRAP of:

7 Power Cleans @ 45kg
                                                7 Pushups
                                                7 V-ups

*Rest 1 minute.

1 min ME KBS @ 24Kg

*Rest 1 minute.

3 min AMRAP of:

7 Power Cleans @ 40kg
                                                7 Push Presses @ 40kg
                                                7 V-ups

*Rest 1 minute.

1 min ME KBS @ 24kg
                                                18, 17, 16 on the swings

Got second set of Cleans done round 1
                                                Got six of the second set of Push Presses done round 2

Very enjoyable session. Tend to much prefer nights where there is a strength bias. Shock, horror.

Comment

Workout 40, Wednesday 10th 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam rolling
                                                  Stretching
                                                  Hanging knee ups
                                                  Dynamic stretching
                                                  Wall slides

Skill Movement

Hang Power Cleans + Push Jerk

Bar work
                                                  40kgs
                                                  42.5kgs
                                                  45kgs
                                                  47.5kgs
                                                  50kgs
                                                  52.5kgs
                                                  55kgs x 8

So, apparently my clean is coming along better. Coach reckons it's smoother and I can attest to it being more consistent. Hang Cleaning 55kgs is quite a bit of progress for me since I started! Push Jerk is also good in terms of timing it and not having to press it out.

BUT apparently I'm not getting my shoulders back enough overhead and I'm locking the bar out with a forward lean. This is not a problem at these weights, but if I don't start correcting it I will be inhibited sooner rather than later and start losing them forward. Was given another stretch to work on and at least I'm now conscious of it.

Actually quite enjoy Power Cleans and Push Jerks I must say.

Metcon

20 minute cap:

8 minute AMRAP

7 Ring Rows
                                                  15 hand release push ups
                                                  30 Sit Ups
                                                  Got two rounds done. Was told to get my hands below my shoulders more when doing push ups - I'm leaving them too far infront.

Flexibility:

Focussed quad stretching, two minutes each leg. Torture.

Comment

Workout 41, Thursday 11th 18:30pm

Something came up for tomorrow evening so, rather than missing a workout, asked Will if I could do tomorrow's session tonight. He agreed which was pretty sweet.

Warmup

Disaster. Late, late, late.
                                                    Jog / brisk walk / bag carry from Luas stop
                                                    Hamstring / glute stretching

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts

2 @ Bar
                                                    1 @ 60kgs
                                                    2 @ 70kgs
                                                    2 @ 80kgs
                                                    1 @ 90kgs
                                                    1 @ 100
                                                    5 x 3 @ 110kgs

I'd love to get a video of these. Going to be doing them a lot for the forseeable future and they're going to get heavy. The coaches don't seem to have any issues with my form but if I could get a second opinion on here I wouldn't mind. Heavy deadlifting and the potential consequences does scare me a little. Yep, I'm a pussy.

Metcon

4 Rounds:
                                                    1 Min Max Effort Kettlebell Snatch (change hands as needed)
                                                    1 Min Max Effort Row (cals)
                                                    1 Min Rest
                                                    Only one doing this and tucked myself away in the corner. Happy to say I was flat out all the same. Motivation to work isn't my issue I don't think.

Rowing didn't break down too badly: 20, 19, 19, 18 cals each time.
                                                    Kettlebell snatches another story. Was just tossing them up there on the fourth round.

Comment

Workout 42, Saturday 13th 11:00am

Stinking hangover on a few hours sleep, not ideal preparation.

Warmup

Leg Swings
                                                      Shoulder dislocates
                                                      Stretching
                                                      Wall Slides

Strength

10 minutes to Hang Power Snatch
                                                      Few @ bar
                                                      30kgs
                                                      32.5kgs
                                                      35kgs
                                                      37.5kgs
                                                      40kgs (fail - press out)

Overhead Press - 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3. Add weight each time
                                                      8 @ bar
                                                      5 @ 35kgs
                                                      3 @ 40kgs
                                                      5 @ 42.5kgs
                                                      5 @ 45kgs
                                                      5 @ 47.5kgs
                                                      3 @ 50kgs
                                                      3 @ 52.5kgs
                                                      3 @ 55kgs

Was tough because work sets had to be done within 10 minutes so not much time for rest in between the heavier sets.

Metcon

3 Rounds:

Row 500m
                                                      14 Pushups
                                                      7 Power Cleans @ 50kg

15 minute cap
                                                      Got the third 500m finished just as time expired. Row times were 1:48, 1:47, 1:55...fell apart badly at the end.

Power Cleans were good and smooth. Push Ups kill me in metcons. When I'm fatigued I find them incredibly difficult and they suck up a lot of time.

Tough session, can't imagine I was emanating the nicest of odours throughout!
                                                      Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 13-04-13, 14:54.

Comment

Ugh, supposed to train this evening. Instead I'm stuffed up, coughing and running a temperature. Train, don't train?

Comment

Ugh, supposed to train this evening. Instead I'm stuffed up, coughing and running a temperature. Train, don't train?
                                                          Don't train.

This isn't for 2013 its for the rest of your life. Your body is sending you a clear message. Listen to it. Get some healthy foods into you and rest up.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Figured as much, cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                              Don't train.

This isn't for 2013 its for the rest of your life. Your body is sending you a clear message. Listen to it. Get some healthy foods into you and rest up.
                                                              No way you could give 100% being sick.
                                                              Last year i had same temp shivers went to the gym and felt really dizzy in the gym had eaten feck all too.
                                                              Nearly collapsed in the shower think would have been very ufnair on some lad trying to revive a sweaty bollock naked me.

Great blog knew youd kkeep it up.

Comment

Workout 43, Thursday 18th 18:30pm

Spent the last two evenings carb loading, escaping to bed early and watching Hoosiers over and over. The last two work days have been spent spluttering and feeling generally sorry for myself. It's been a tough week - man flu, a true terror.

So, while not 100% I was itching to get something on the scoreboard for the week so asked Will if I could drop the Metcon and do a second strength movement instead. Being the obliging gentleman he is it was no problem. So I trained.

Warmup

Dynamic Stretching
                                                                Wall Slides

Strength Movements

Top Pull Deadlifts

2 @ 60kgs
                                                                2 @ 70kgs
                                                                2 @ 80kgs
                                                                2 @ 90kgs
                                                                1 @ 100kgs
                                                                1 @ 110kgs
                                                                3 @ 120kgs (told to go straight to 130kgs)
                                                                3 @ 130kgs
                                                                3 @ 135kgs (needed Will to cheer me on here, though apparently my third rep was the best one)

The objective here was to try and get the heaviest possible set of three. Happy enough with this tbh. Been told to aim for a 150kgs regular Deadlift on Saturday. Strong like small baby Ox - but at least it's going in the right direction.

Overhead Press

5 @ bar
                                                                5 @ 30kgs
                                                                3 @ 40kgs
                                                                3 @ 45kgs
                                                                2 @ 50kgs
                                                                3 x 5 @ 52.5kgs

Will had me narrow my grip a little and it helped keep my elbows higher which is good. Like my Deadlift, my press is pretty awful for a man my size but it's going in the right direction.

Pull Ups

3 x 5 green band assisted, slot 10

All in all, great to get some work done. Enjoyable. Strange how irritating missing a training session has become!!

Comment

Strange how irritating missing a training session has become!!
                                                                  You've got the full-blown addiction now.
                                                                  1RM deadlift saturday? GL. I can tell you've had your eyes on that one for a while.

Comment

You've got the full-blown addiction now.
                                                                    1RM deadlift saturday? GL. I can tell you've had your eyes on that one for a while.
                                                                    Yep. Just curious more than anything else!!

Comment

Workout 44, Friday 19th 18:30pm

Warmup

Every minute on the even minute: 5 Pull Ups
                                                                      Every minute on the odd minute: 5 Push Ups

10 minutes, with dynamic stretching included for the remainder of each minute

Strength Movement

15 minutes to establish a 1rm Power Clean & Jerk.
                                                                      1 @ 40kgs
                                                                      1 @ 45kgs
                                                                      1 @ 50kgs
                                                                      1 @ 52.5kgs
                                                                      1 @ 55kgs
                                                                      1 @ 57.5kgs
                                                                      1 @ 60kgs
                                                                      1 @ 62.5kgs
                                                                      1 @ 65kgs (got it, but Will watched this one and reckoned my technique on the Push Jerk was kind of poor as it put my knees in a poor position)
                                                                      1 @ 65kgs (maybe a little better?)
                                                                      1 @ 65kgs

Hmm. Bit of a downer as I thought these were coming along. The Power Clean is, and strength isn't holding us back from being proficient on the Push Jerk. But the technique needs more practice. It's not about making these. They are going up without any pressing out, but now is the time to get them nice and smooth before we start putting a proper amount of weight overhead.

Might see about getting some extra in over the weekend.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

21-15-9 of:

Kettlebell Swing, 24kg
                                                                      Pull-ups
                                                                      Got it done in 14 minutes. Grip the big killer here. Might be an argument for lowering the slot on the green band assisted Pull Ups soon which is good.

Comment

Workout 45, Saturday 20th 11:00am

Warmup

Hip and glutes stretching
                                                                        Some Hang Power Snatches with the bar

Skill Movement

12 minutes to establish a 1rm Hang Power Snatch
                                                                        Few @ Bar
                                                                        3 x 1 @ 30kgs
                                                                        1 @ 32.5kgs
                                                                        1 @ 35kgs
                                                                        1 @ 37kgs
                                                                        1 @ 40kgs (made it, no press out like last week)
                                                                        3 x 1 @ 42.5kgs

Last three were all makes, but ugly. Apparently I'm abandoning the first pull too early which makes it more of a fight on the second and third pulls. Still though, one cue a session - no pressouts today.

Strength Movement

The big show:

15 minutes to establish a 1rm Deadlift
                                                                        1 @ 80kgs
                                                                        1 @ 100kgs
                                                                        1 @ 110kgs
                                                                        1 @ 120kgs
                                                                        1 @ 130kgs

These were all warm ups, no time between them other than to load the bar.

1 @ 140kgs
                                                                        ***Shoes off***
                                                                        1 @ 150kgs (told to go straight to 160kgs by Will)
                                                                        F @ 160kgs (got past the knees but was going with a double overhand grip which failed)
                                                                        ***Alternating grip + chalk***
                                                                        1 @ 160kgs (told to go to 170kgs)
                                                                        1 @ 170kgs (knew there was more and asked for one last lift)
                                                                        1 @ 180kgs (Not going to lie, had to grind it but full clean lockout)

Get that shit baby!

Won't be winning any Powerlifting competitions with 180kgs but still feels very, very good.

The official music video for Blur - Song 2 Taken from Blur’s 5th studio album ‘Blur’ released in 1997, which featured the hit singles ‘Beetlebum’, ‘Song 2’,...

Metcon

15 minute cap:

“Diane”

21-15-9 of:

Deadlifts @ 100kgs
                                                                        Push Ups
                                                                        Complete as prescribed in 13:25. Went:

7 - 6 - 6 - 2 Deadlifts
                                                                        5 - 5 - 5 - 4 - 2 Push Ups
                                                                        5 - 5 - 5 Deadlifts
                                                                        5 - 5 - 3 - 2 Push Ups
                                                                        5 - 4 - Deadlifts
                                                                        4 - 3 - 2 Push Ups

Which is better, though not where we want to be in terms of work consistency. Still, happy to finish inside the cap.

Feeling good gentlemen, feeling good. Many of you are perfectly entitled to come in and note that I'm still an out of shape weakling in the grander scheme of things but it will probably take a couple of days for me to be able to hear you over my fog of smugness and self satisfaction.
                                                                        Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 20-04-13, 12:24.

Comment

Strength Movement
                                                                          The big show:

1 @ 80kgs
                                                                          1 @ 100kgs
                                                                          1 @ 110kgs
                                                                          1 @ 120kgs
                                                                          1 @ 130kgs

These were all warm ups, no time between them other than to load the bar.

1 @ 140kgs
                                                                          ***Shoes off***
                                                                          1 @ 150kgs (told to go straight to 160kgs by Will)
                                                                          F @ 160kgs (got past the knees but was going with a double overhand grip which failed)
                                                                          ***Alternating grip + chalk***
                                                                          1 @ 160kgs (told to go to 170kgs)
                                                                          1 @ 170kgs (knew there was more and asked for one last lift)
                                                                          1 @ 180kgs (Not going to lie, had to grind it but full clean lockout)
                                                                          180kg is a fucking savage lift. Very few people can pull that.
                                                                          Nice one.

Many of you are perfectly entitled to come in and note that I'm still an out of shape weakling in the grander scheme of things but it will probably take a couple of days for me to be able to hear you over my fog of smugness and self satisfaction.
                                                                          People could say lots about various aspects of your training. But I don't think weakling is a word anyone would choose.

Comment

Cheers Mellor! Fucking delighted as you can imagine. Remember though, very few people walking around at ~150kgs body weight. These things are all relative.

Comment

Cheers Mellor! Fucking delighted as you can imagine. Remember though, very few people walking around at ~150kgs body weight. These things are all relative.
                                                                              Even relatively that is a massive lift for only getting back into training recently. ( ~ 1.2x BW)

The trick now will be in maintaining the strength as the BW comes down.

Comment

Workout 46, Monday 22nd 18:30pm

Warmup

Some stretches
                                                                                Some Push Ups
                                                                                Some light Kettlebell Snatches

Skill Movement

5X2 Hang Power Snatch @ 75-85% – rest 90 sec

Notes: Begin at 75% and increase to 85% throughout sets if technique is perfect. DO NOT go past 85% and do not add to 75% if technique is not perfect. These do not need to be touch and go, you may reset
                                                                                Few @ bar
                                                                                Few @ 30kgs
                                                                                4 @ 32.5kgs
                                                                                Few @ 35kgs

Knew we were in for a rough ride from the first effort at 32.5kgs. Felt unexplosive and out of sync. Lots to work on with these obviously, but need to figure out a way to make my effort with the bar look like my effort at ~37.5kgs. Funnily enough, the latter is better because I don't jump forward and pull under better.

Metcon

12 minute AMRAP:

7 Hang Power Cleans 70Kg 60kgs 50kgs
                                                                                14 Pushups
                                                                                20 Kettlebell Snatches @ 16kgs (10L + 10R)
                                                                                Nope. Weak as a kitten. Just no drive and pop on the Hang Cleans and really struggling to land underneath them properly. Got a second set of Push Ups finished.

Basically floored from Saturday. Working from the hang really puts an emphasis on the hamstrings and glutes to fire on the first pull and that just was not happening tonight. Way underestimated the toll such an effort would take. Wasn't the only one either - few people struggling. Seems this week is just to be survived and, as Will noted, this is why they only test 1 rep max on the Deadlift a couple of times a year: people struggle to get their training done the following week.

Just going to have to fight through the rest of the week. Though I need to sort out the receipt of my Clean better along with my body position on the Push Jerk. Will reckons I'm putting too much stress on my knees with both so will need to concentrate tomorrow evening.

Comment

CNS prob fried from the 180DL.

Good work. Impressive lifting. Fuck relativity. Thems some numbers. Easy Game.

Comment

Workout 47, Tuesday 23rd 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                    Shoulder dislocates
                                                                                    Wall Slides
                                                                                    Leg Swings
                                                                                    Static and dynamic stretching

Strength Movement

Power Clean + Push Jerk
                                                                                    Movements with bar
                                                                                    1 @ 40kgs
                                                                                    1 @ 42.5kgs
                                                                                    1 @ 45kgs
                                                                                    1 @ 47.5kgs
                                                                                    3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                    2 @ 52.5kgs
                                                                                    1 @ 55kgs

Will watched the second @ 52.5kgs and reckoned it was decently improved. Really worked on trying to achieve a better catch position for the clean and jerk (i.e. sit back into the hips better)

Metcon

4 rounds of:

12 Overhead Presses, 45kg
                                                                                    Row 500m

Rest 1:1
                                                                                    Strict 20 min time cap
                                                                                    Got three rounds done. Work done as follows:

1 x 12 presses
                                                                                    1:42.1
                                                                                    1 x 10, 1 x 2
                                                                                    1:46.3
                                                                                    1 x 7, 1 x 4, 1 x 1
                                                                                    1:46.1

Need to narrow the gap between first and last rounds during the metcons. I'm getting better at that generally, but the press fell apart badly. To be fair, I'd have needed a fair few minutes pure rest between each set to get them 3 x 12 which means I shouldn't have started with 12. I'll learn someday.

Badly gassed after. Just got to push through this week. Have Friday off so can go Friday morning / Saturday morning rather than the usual Friday after work / Saturday morning. Should help.

Comment

CNS prob fried from the 180DL.

Good work. Impressive lifting. Fuck relativity. Thems some numbers. Easy Game.
                                                                                      This is impressive lifting:

This is "derek195hbbs" by CrossFit Ireland on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Look, I think Saturday shows that if I stick at this I could move a fair amount of weight in a year or so by any metric.

Comment

Trying to read this thread I have sympathy for anyone trying to read a poker thread that doesn't know the terminology. I think I have to stop trying to read this every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                          Trying to read this thread I have sympathy for anyone trying to read a poker thread that doesn't know the terminology. I think I have to stop trying to read this every now and then.

Is it the exercise names that are the issue?

Comment

Is it the exercise names that are the issue?
                                                                                            Those and things like metcons and CNS, and that's just from the last few posts. Mostly thoguh occasionally I just voyeuristically wander in to see if you've posted any weight updates, but it seems you never do.

I've never lifted weights, and probably never will either outside of the machines at the gym.

Comment

Those and things like metcons and CNS, and that's just from the last few posts. Mostly thoguh occasionally I just voyeuristically wander in to see if you've posted any weight updates, but it seems you never do.

I've never lifted weights, and probably never will either outside of the machines at the gym.
                                                                                              No interest in the scales Dom!!

CNS is central nervous system by the way. Metcon = metabolic conditioning.

Comment

Well you started this to lose weight did you not? I thought you'd be at least curious.

Comment

Well you started this to lose weight did you not? I thought you'd be at least curious.
                                                                                                  I'd kind of disagree:

Good luck with it Lloyd. Any weight loss target or just an unspecified 'feel good' amount?
                                                                                                  Just feel healthier and lighter Dom. As I said, my appearance has never really worried me that much. Even when I was super fit and healthy I never looked great! Just the gradual realisation that I am as healthy as I look has scared me a little.

The objective is health and feel better. I feel better and I hope that my health is better the next time a GP gets to poke and prod me, take bloods, etc.

People are commenting that I look better and, to be honest, I'm not willing to risk the scales disheartening me at this early stage. If it said 150kgs or more I'd be liable to hole myself up for the next six months eating wine gums. So, not risking it!

Comment

mmmmm, wine gums.

Anyhow, enough derailing.

Comment

Workout 48, Wednesday 24th 18:30pm

Warmup

Hanging knee ups on even minutes
                                                                                                      Push Ups on odd minutes
                                                                                                      Dynamic Stretching with the remainder of each minute

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts; 7 x 2 @ 130kgs; rest 60 seconds between each work set
                                                                                                      2 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                      2 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                      2 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                      1 @ 110kgs
                                                                                                      1 @ 120kgs

Now, halfway through the Warm Ups Will changed his mind and told me to toss 140kgs on the bar instead.

1 @ 130kgs
                                                                                                      2 @ 140kgs (Will said to go to 145kgs )
                                                                                                      2 @ 145kgs
                                                                                                      1 @ 145kgs

Dropped the second one at the bottom, rested a few seconds and Deadlifted it up from the floor to rerack. Dropped back to 140kgs

2 @ 140kgs (couldn't rerack, Will helped us lift it back onto the rack)
                                                                                                      2 @ 140kgs (couldn't rerack)

Hmm. Had a chat with Will about this after the session. I contended that I didn't have enough time to do all that work but he argued that I need to:

- organize the Warm Ups better;
                                                                                                      - use chalk;

The second one is real dum dum stuff. Didn't even cross my mind to chalk up, which is ridiculous. Warmups should have been 5 @ 60; 5 @ 80; 3 @ 100; 1 @ 120. Less loading and less reps at a fatiguing weight.

We agreed to try this again on Squat day next week.

Metcon

15 min cap:

30 Kettlebell Swings (chin-high only)
                                                                                                      20 Pull-ups
                                                                                                      25 Ab-Mat Situps

20 Kettlbell Swings
                                                                                                      20 Pull-ups
                                                                                                      25 Ab-Mat Situps

10 Kettlebell Swings
                                                                                                      20 Pull-ups
                                                                                                      25 Ab-Mat Situps
                                                                                                      Got five Pull Ups done in the third round. Got some work done, so got to think of the positives. Proving a very difficult week.

On a brighter note, my lifting shoes arrived. Adidas Power Perfect IIs:

Any experience with them on here?

Comment

The second one is real dum dum stuff. Didn't even cross my mind to chalk up, which is ridiculous. Warmups should have been 5 @ 60; 5 @ 80; 3 @ 100; 1 @ 120.
                                                                                                        [/quote]
                                                                                                        +1 for chalk.
                                                                                                        I was going to mention before that excessive warm up sets might eat into work set time.
                                                                                                        I'd even consider dropping the 80kg. 60/100/120/130/140 is my normal warm up.

. Proving a very difficult On a brighter note, my lifting shoes arrived. Adidas Power Perfect IIs:

I've heard good reports. They're the ones I was wanted to pick up when in the US. But couldn't find them anywhere.
                                                                                                        So I ended up getting the Crossfit Oly shoes.

Comment

On a brighter note, my lifting shoes arrived. Adidas Power Perfect IIs:

Sexy. I have a pair. They're rock solid for squats.

Comment

Workout 49, Friday 26th 11:00am

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                                            Quad Stretching
                                                                                                            3 Pull Ups every second minute using green band, slot 14
                                                                                                            Wall Slides
                                                                                                            Dynamic Stretching

Strength Movement

7X3 Banded Deadlifts @ 100kgs
                                                                                                            Without band to warm up:
                                                                                                            3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                            3 @ 100kgs

Blue band applied:

5 x 3 @ 100kgs

Picture of my lower back after the fifth set. Pain, pain, pain.

Colm watched my third set and just reiterated the demo point of letting the tension go before dropping it from the top. But I knew my form was simply shite on every set. With the band it's so much harder to explode the hips through and my lower back was taking all the strain. Desperately hoping I'm not proper fucked now.

Metcon

4X500m Row – rest 1:3, 1:2, 1:1, all repeats should be at 100% effort.

*Notes: It’s rest:work ratio. So 1:3 means rest one third of the time your first 500m row takes
                                                                                                            1:33.6
                                                                                                            1:49.9
                                                                                                            1:47.4
                                                                                                            1:46.2

Big thick head on me after. Chewed Colm out and noted I wouldn't be doing banded deadlifts again. Colm noted that my hamstring flexibility is poor and I don't do the movement quick enough. That my lower back doesn't move on normal deadlifts, but my set up isn't ideal. I'm sure banded deads have a multitude of benefits, but I refuse to do something that will fuck my back up.

Sore and pissed off now.
                                                                                                            Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 27-04-13, 12:23.

Comment

Workout 50, Saturday 27th 11:00am

Warmup

Stretching
                                                                                                              Power Clean and Jerks @ Bar
                                                                                                              Power Clearn and Jerks @ 40kgs

Strength Movement

Bench Press
                                                                                                              5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 75kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                              5 @ 85kgs

The bro in me is curious what my 1 rep max might be here. The last set wasn't super easy, but it would have been 2004 since I did reps using that much weight. All those push ups and overhead presses have probably increased my capacity on this lift far better than any silly bodybuilder isolation stuff I did here and there over the past few years would have.

Metcon

15 min cap:

2 Pullups @ Green band, slot 14
                                                                                                              2 Pushups
                                                                                                              10 Power Clean & Jerks @ 45kg

4 Pullups
                                                                                                              4 Pushups
                                                                                                              8 Power Clean & Jerks

6 Pullups
                                                                                                              6 Pushups
                                                                                                              6 Power Clean & Jerks

8 Pullups
                                                                                                              8 Pushups
                                                                                                              4 Power Clean & Jerks

10 Pullups
                                                                                                              10 Pushups
                                                                                                              2 Power Clean & Jerks
                                                                                                              Got the 4 Power Clean and Jerks done as time expired, so last round short.

--------

Training is emotional I guess. My lower back was very sore yesterday, but had calmed down a bit this morning. No major damage done I don't think - a little sore again now but two days of rest ahead. Had a decent chat with Will before and after. There's a reason for everything they're programming up there and, ultimately, I have to suck it up and get on board with the different variations and gymnastic movements, etc. If I want a fully individual program and coaching well, I can pay what it costs. CFI are offering a great service relative to what I'm paying, so I just need to believe in it and stick with it.

Comment

Have a pair of the original Romaleos. My for them is unhealthy. Similar to squatting in cement I'd imagine.

Too right training is emotional. If it ain't, you're doing it wrong! Stuff like what happened to your lower back will happen btw. More often than you would like it too. Doubt anyone who trains regularly is ever 100% healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                                                                                  Have a pair of the original Romaleos. My for them is unhealthy. Similar to squatting in cement I'd imagine.

Too right training is emotional. If it ain't, you're doing it wrong! Stuff like what happened to your lower back will happen btw. More often than you would like it too. Doubt anyone who trains regularly is ever 100% healthy.
                                                                                                                  I know being hurt is part of the deal, and I'd like to think I've been fairly determined with the whole tendinosis in the knees thing. But putting your back out seems kind of scary. I'm not far enough into this where I could afford a lengthy lay off.

But injury is the risk you run of doing anything active I guess.

Comment

Workout 51, Tuesday 30th 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                                                    Leg Swings
                                                                                                                    Stretching
                                                                                                                    Kneeling Muscle Ups

Strength Movement

Top Pull Deadlifts
                                                                                                                    5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                    4 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                    3 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                                    2 @ 120kgs
                                                                                                                    5 x 3 @ 132.5kgs

Lower back / upper glutes was acting up during these but I powered on through. Felt most discomfort when I was putting stuff away / getting stuff together for the Metcon. Only a very slight strain now ~90 minutes later so nothing I'm overly concerned about.

I give myself 5 Big Heart points anyway.

Metcon

20 min cap:

20 Dumbell Push Press, 12.5kg
                                                                                                                    20 Pull-ups
                                                                                                                    40 KB Snatch, 16kg
                                                                                                                    40 Pushups
                                                                                                                    40 Kettlebell Swings 24kg
                                                                                                                    Got as far as the 30th Push Up. Doing all my Pull Ups with green band, slot 14 these days so they're very tough. Pull Ups and Push Ups still slow me down the most during Metcons.

If I never have to do another Dumbell Press it will be too soon.

Comment

Workout 52, Wednesday 1st 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                                                                                                      5 Pull Ups / 5 Push Ups alternating every minute for 10 minutes
                                                                                                                      Stretching

Strength Movement

7X2 Hi-Hang Power Clean + 1 Push Jerk – heaviest possible, rest 60 sec
                                                                                                                      @ bar
                                                                                                                      @ 30kgs
                                                                                                                      @ 35kgs
                                                                                                                      @ 40kgs
                                                                                                                      @ 45kgs
                                                                                                                      @ 47.5kgs
                                                                                                                      @ 50kgs
                                                                                                                      @ 52.5kgs

Metcon

3 rounds for total working time of:

10 Overhead Press
                                                                                                                      15 V-Ups
                                                                                                                      First two Overhead Press sets @ 50kgs, took it down to 45kgs for the last. All work done in 14 minutes.

Press was:

x 5, x 5
                                                                                                                      x 5, x 3, x 2
                                                                                                                      x 5, x 3, x 2

V Ups straight through each time.

Derek had a good chat with me about hand position and general set up for these after. I'm crucifying my wrists at the moment and need to stop that.

Comment

Workout 53, Friday 3rd 18:30pm

Warmup

Wall Slides
                                                                                                                        Pull Ups
                                                                                                                        Stretching

Strength Movement

7X3 Banded Deadlift @ 55% - purple band
                                                                                                                        5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                        3 x 3 @ 80kgs with purple band
                                                                                                                        4 x 3 @ 80kgs, dropped from top

Colm watched third set, back was twinging and he allowed me to continue without a band. Told to drop from the top and work on form. Going to video my two x10 work sets tomorrow.

Metcon

4X500m Row – rest to work ratio 1:2, 1:1.5, 1:1, all repeats should be at 100% effort
                                                                                                                        1:30.4
                                                                                                                        1:51.5
                                                                                                                        1:43.7
                                                                                                                        1:44.5

Out last night and drank enough Sierra Nevada Rye to kill a small horse. Badly hungover today so not ideal preperation. That said, I showed a complete absence of heart on the first effort. Was 1:22 pace through 400m and just stopped with 70 metres to go, and pulled the last couple of strokes when the metres stopped counting down. My heart was about to jump out of my chest but just needed more determination to get a serious time. Disgusted with myself.

The next three rows represented deep gooey black pain and I just tried to survive them.

Comment

[U]
                                                                                                                          Metcon

1:30.4

Out last night and drank enough Sierra Nevada Rye to kill a small horse. Badly hungover today so not ideal preperation. That said, I showed a complete absence of heart on the first effort. Was 1:22 pace through 400m and just stopped with 70 metres to go, and pulled the last couple of strokes when the metres stopped counting down. My heart was about to jump out of my chest but just needed more determination to get a serious time. Disgusted with myself.
                                                                                                                          Nothing to be disgusted about here. 1.30 is a great 500m time (PR?). Lots of deadlift carry over, so you are prob suited to short distance rowing. I doubt there was too many that broke into the 20s.
                                                                                                                          Sometimes we just fade towards the end if we pace too fast. And 1m22s was too fast imo. Few people could of held that. I try to pace 2 seconds under my PR, any more and I can't finish strong.

Check out the Irish rower records for some reference.
                                                                                                                          http://concept2.co.uk/records/500_irish

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X