2 x 3 @ 40kgs
    3 @ 50kgs
    3 @ 60kgs
    3 @ 70kgs
    5 x 3 @ 80kgs

Felt better than Tuesday.

Metcon

Airdyne - 100 calories for time
    Done in under five minutes. Not fun - quads felt on fire after.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

They have Schwinn Airdyne bikes Lloyd do they?
      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
      I like this heat - some proper music innit.
      None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
        They have Schwinn Airdyne bikes Lloyd do they?
        They have one. I believe they don't make them anymore.
        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Damn was hoping I might be able to get hold of one.

My home gym will be almost complete if I can find one buts its proving very hard.

They look like a hell of a workout alright.
          Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
          I like this heat - some proper music innit.
          None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Workout 78, Monday 17th 18:30pm

Testing Week - big money days today, Friday and Saturday.

Rehab

2 X 10 Goblet Squats @ 12kgs
            Supermans
            External Rotation Shoulder exercises

Warmup

Foam Rolling
            Kneeling Muscle Ups
            Scap Slides
            Leg Swings
            Stretching

Strength

12 minutes to establish a 1RM Push Press
            3 @ bar
            1 @ 40kgs
            1 @ 60kgs
            1 @ 70kgs
            1 @ 80kgs **PB** (lame)
            3 x F @ 85kgs

Disappointing. Technique poor - struggling to transfer power from the hips into the movement. As Will said after, the third 85kgs attempt was basically a strict press to eye height. Poor.

Metcon

“Helen on a boat"

3 rounds for time of:

Row 500m
            21 Kettlebell Swings 24kgs
            12 Pull-ups
            19:15 **PB**
            Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 18-06-13, 05:40.

Comment

Workout 79, Tuesday 18th 18:30pm

Heat, hay fever and work stress are making this a super fun week thus far. My Push Press inadequacy from last night is also irritating.

Rehab

Supermans

Warmup

Foam Rolling
              Hanging Knee Raises
              Dumbell Push Ups
              Stretching

Rehab

4-5 rounds of alternating sets:
              Goblet squat x 5
              Light barbell squats x 10 (start with the bar and build up the weight, don't go far past 40kg)
              Goblets at 16kgs and regular at bar only. Will reckoned form was good in terms of knee tracking which is the most important thing. Pretty much pain free.

Was 1 rep max HBBS for everyone else. Hope we can test mine at the end of the next training cycle.

Metcon

175 Airdyne Calories for time
              9:55

Comment

Some consistency Lloyd, fair balls.

How's the diet? Clean-ish?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                  Some consistency Lloyd, fair balls.

How's the diet? Clean-ish?
                  ish

Cheat a bit too much on the weekends but Monday to Friday are good (I pretty much eat the same thing at the same time each day). Probably should be getting a little bit more protein too but it's hard to stick to the guidelines in that regard (330 grams of protein a day is a big ask).

Comment

woah, 330g of protein is serious eating, and serious € without a lot of supplementing.

Hitting your macros (ish) ?

Just asking because with the levels of training you're doing, if you eat v v well (really difficult to do both though) you will see body change so fast. 7/8 weeks you'd be a different shape altogether really.

This guy trains in caveman with me sometimes. Serious progress...

SPOILER

Comment

woah, 330g of protein is serious eating, and serious € without a lot of supplementing.

Just asking because with the levels of training you're doing, if you eat v v well (really difficult to do both though) you will see body change so fast. 7/8 weeks you'd be a different shape altogether really.

SPOILER
                      Well, it's 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight roughly? Not going to manage that.

So, no, frankly. I'm missing macros on protein for sure.

I've noticed some physical progress but we're coming on five months now and nothing remotely like a complete transformation (I'd have no interest ending up where the fellah above has mind, jaysus). Diet the definite culprit there I suppose.

Comment

Yeah the danger with starting to train hard is "eating hard" to match. So you get stronger but don't see any body composition change really.

Then when you're at a level where you aren't making strength gains easily, you start to wonder what the training is all about, and look at the dietary aspect and try and tie that back in.

I think if you could catch someone before they begin to reach their 'level' from which progress is a slow burn as opposed to firing up the ranks, and get them eating 8/10 - 10/10 on the cleanness/ correct macros etc, that you could see a synergy there. Body getting used to less crap food as an energy store, body freaking out at all the new work its going through too.

Another big part is sleep / stress levels. How you getting on on this front?

Comment

Another big part is sleep / stress levels. How you getting on on this front?
                          Sleep is better than it used to be but I struggle to get much beyond 7 hours.

Life is stressful, the end.

Comment

The one AND ONLY deadlift article you will ever need. Technique, programming, and performance hacks will take your deadlift to the next level!

For future reference.

Comment

Workout 80, Wednesday 19th 18:30pm

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                              Push Ups
                              Stretching

Strength

EMOM for 5 minutes:

2 Clean High-Pulls

Then, when the clock hits 5:00-

2 minute AMRAP of Clean High-Pulls
                              2 @ 40kgs
                              2 @ 50kgs
                              2 @ 60kgs
                              2 @ 70kgs
                              2 @ 80kgs

Then

5 x 2 @ 80kgs
                              6 @ 80kgs in 2 minutes

Placed a PVC Pipe nipple high (pin 8) in the Pull Up racks and placed the bar in such a way that the edge of the bar would touch it if we were high enough. No problems with height.

Metcon

2k Row for time
                              7:17.5 **PB**

In my head I wanted to approach 7 minutes but realistically this isn't a terrible time considering I haven't rowed the distance in one go since returning to training. Was in pieces at the end. I'd say a few seconds would be there to be knocked off it if I did it with any regularity. Better strategy would get you a couple of seconds alone.

To put it in perspective, I remember using the rower in Pocket Kings for a short period when I was doing Night Shifts in Pocket Kings during the summer of 2011. I would row 2k every night before work and would do it in the 9 - 10 minute range. So there's that.

Comment

SPOILER

Jaysus Emmet that guy has lost some serious fat but he hasn't exactly packed on the muscle. I doubt a man of Lloyd's former build want's to go that thin. People would think he was dying ffs.

I see Lloyd going for something more like this.

or this (over time!!)

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                Well, it's 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight roughly? Not going to manage that.

So, no, frankly. I'm missing macros on protein for sure.

I've noticed some physical progress but we're coming on five months now and nothing remotely like a complete transformation (I'd have no interest ending up where the fellah above has mind, jaysus). Diet the definite culprit there I suppose.

I thought it was 1g per lb of lean weight. Your total weight has got to be >130kg at this stage Lloyd as well.

I do agree with Emmet's sentiment that you can't outtrain a bad diet but diet gets cleaner over time and it gets easier to get in the groove of eating well as you feel and see the progress.
                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I'm pretty sure to increase muscle when doing high intensity training it's 2g for every Kg you weigh roughly. I believe non training individuals are recommended to take in about 0.8-1g for every kg. Definitely sounds like their could be something in the protein consumption of lean mass however.
                                  Got my weigh in this morning pretty sure I'm down over a stone total now, been training too much and diet too clean not to be.
                                  When it comes to getting in great shape it's roughly a ratio of 70/20/10 for me diet/training/genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                    Jaysus Emmet that guy has lost some serious fat but he hasn't exactly packed on the muscle. I doubt a man of Lloyd's former build want's to go that thin. People would think he was dying ffs.

I see Lloyd going for something more like this.

or this (over time!!)

Spot on, I personally would dislike looking like the after pics Emmett posted of that gentleman. I'd look ridiculous anyway. I don't have huge body image hang ups - if I tightened the midline in that would be super super stuff, job done. Better health markers is the real goal here.

I thought it was 1g per lb of lean weight. Your total weight has got to be >130kg at this stage Lloyd as well.

I do agree with Emmet's sentiment that you can't outtrain a bad diet but diet gets cleaner over time and it gets easier to get in the groove of eating well as you feel and see the progress.
                                    It's absolutely > 130kgs. Probably ~145kgs.

I picked up some ON Whey yesterday and I'll take a scoop after training to add a bit of extra protein.

Look Emmett is right of course, but my diet is so far and away superior to this time 12 months ago. I'm in this for the long haul, believe me. Baby steps.

Comment

Just an FYI.

The choc or vanilla ON protein mixes great and tasted great with porridge (if your having it), yoghurt, and is great for baking with as well.

It might add some variety for you.
                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                        Just an FYI.

The choc or vanilla ON protein mixes great and tasted great with porridge (if your having it), yoghurt, and is great for baking with as well.

It might add some variety for you.
                                        I use the choc mint it's unreal with porridge, went with Kinetica this month same flavours, same ingredients same factory and it's a bit cheaper, Irish company too so why not.

Comment

It's absolutely > 130kgs. Probably ~145kgs.

I picked up some ON Whey yesterday and I'll take a scoop after training to add a bit of extra protein.
                                          I meant less than 130kg. I can't believe you haven't lost quite a bit over the last few months. You certainly look a lot lighter in the vids.

Anyway not very important as it's only a momentary point on your journey.
                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Workout 81, Friday 21st 18:30pm

Rehab

Supermans
                                            External Rotation Shoulder work
                                            Hamstring mobility band work

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                            Scap Rows
                                            Scap Push Ups
                                            Stretching
                                            Roll Overs

Strength

15 Minutes to Establish a 1RM Overhead Press
                                            8 @ Bar
                                            5 @ 40kgs
                                            3 @ 50kgs
                                            1 @ 55kgs
                                            1 @ 60kgs (Will told me to concentrate on a huge breath and speed from the bottom)
                                            1 @ 65kgs
                                            1 @ 67.5kgs
                                            1 @ 70kgs (a little ugly)
                                            1 @ 72.5kgs (big grind)
                                            1 @ 75kgs **PB** (hero grind - real long ugly rep that had half the gym's attention before it was up there and shrugged out at the top )

As Will said after, if time was unlimited we could have taken a few minutes rest and maybe got 77.5kgs up in a similar fashion.

So: 75kgs Strict Press...80kgs Push Press

Clearly my brain and CNS is struggling to transfer lower body power to the upper body through an explosive movement of the hips. Five months in too. Must try harder.

Metcon

21-15-9 of:

Kettlebell Swings, 32kg
                                            DB Pushups
                                            14:12

First time swinging a 32kgs kettlebell (sucks) added to pushups after strict pressing made this a horrible grind. Happy to get it done under 15 minutes tbh.

========================

Big show tomorrow. Long, stressful, warm week with not enough sleep so I'll probably disappoint unfortunately. I'll try to relax now and get 8 hours sleep in and give it a go and see.
                                            Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 22-06-13, 13:16.

Comment

Workout 82, Saturday 22nd 11:00am

Warmup

Foam Rolling
                                              Band Stretching
                                              Stretching
                                              Scap Slides

Strength

15 minutes to establish a 1RM Clean Hi-Pull
                                              (put a PVC pipe in a rack to serve as a target)
                                              2 @ 40kgs
                                              2 @ 50kgs
                                              2 @ 60kgs
                                              2 @ 70kgs
                                              1 @ 80kgs
                                              1 @ 85kgs
                                              1 @ 90kgs
                                              2 x F @ 95kgs

Last two fails were more mental I think. Colm told me to concentrate on staying on my heels as long as possible.

Establish a 1 Rep Max Deadlift
                                              THE BIG SHOW:

5 @ 100kgs
                                              2 @ 120kgs
                                              2 @ 140kgs
                                              1 @ 160kgs
                                              1 @ 170kgs
                                              1 @ 180kgs
                                              1 @ 190kgs **PB**

Colm reckoned I should be done but I pleaded for a shot at 200:

F @ 200kgs (broke the floor but wasn't there today)

Ah well, a 10kgs PB is a good day!
                                              Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 22-06-13, 15:48.

Comment

So, it's been two months and 38 sessions since the previous Deadlift test and a new training cycle will now begin. Just want to collate the various training results achieved to date in one place:

Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 22-06-13, 19:48.

Comment

Some great lifts there Lloyd. Congrats

Comment

Well done Lloyd. Fantastic progress. Stick at it.

You could have a really special deadlift in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                      Well done Lloyd. Fantastic progress. Stick at it.

You could have a really special deadlift in a few years.
                                                      Cheers man - still a long road to a good Deadlift for a 105kg+ individual all the same. And some of the other lifts and crossfit benchmark wod times are really poor.

That said, next three weeks should help some. The gym is running Smolov Jr. for squats which I can't run so Will has put together a Deadlift specific program for me instead:

Monday: Top Pull Deadlifts (grip and lockout)
                                                      Tuesday: Clean High Pulls (for speed from the floor)
                                                      Wednesday: HBBS Practice / Rehab
                                                      Friday: Heavy Deadlifts
                                                      Saturday: Assistance work - RDLs, Good mornings, etc

Get to test after that so let's see if we can't get that 200kgs.
                                                      Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 24-06-13, 20:46.

Comment

Workout 83, Monday 24th 19:30pm

Felt awful today, wiped from Saturday. Just focussed on surviving:

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                        Leg Swings
                                                        Stretching
                                                        Roll Overs

Strength

5x3 Deadlift Top Pull @ 70% – rest at least 2 minutes
                                                        5 @ 100kgs
                                                        3 @ 120kgs
                                                        5 x 3 @ 132.5kgs

Grand. Severe ass pump after.

Metcon

7 Rounds:

1 minute:

3 BTN Snatch Grip Push Presses @ 25kgs
                                                        Kettlebell swings @ 16kgs for the remainder
                                                        30 seconds rest
                                                        Got it done. BTN Snatch Grip Push Presses really expose poor shoulder flexibility.

Comment

Despite my age not so experienced that 190kg dead lift you looked very comfortable Lloyd.
                                                          Great progress so far.
                                                          I predict a 2x body weight dead lift before xmas.

Comment

The part that i'm most impressed with is the rowing. These numbers are pretty good and the bleed from 1:29.3/500m on the 500 to 1:49.4/500m over 2000m shows how much is left in the tank. Nice work, keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                              Despite my age not so experienced that 190kg dead lift you looked very comfortable Lloyd.
                                                              Great progress so far.
                                                              I predict a 2x body weight dead lift before xmas.
                                                              Ha, that would be some going!! 220kgs would be brilliant.

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                              The part that i'm most impressed with is the rowing. These numbers are pretty good and the bleed from 1:29.3/500m on the 500 to 1:49.4/500m over 2000m shows how much is left in the tank. Nice work, keep it up.
                                                              Cheers! The 500m is good, the 2k fairly meh. One is pure power and the other requires cardio work capacity so no surprises there though!!

If time was unlimited, didn't have to work, etc I'd be tempted to train rowing properly.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                +1

saw those and just thought "wow"!!!!!

Comment

Workout 84, Tuesday 25th 18:30pm

Warmup

Hanging Knee Raises
                                                                  Dumbell Push Ups
                                                                  Scap Slides
                                                                  Scap Push Ups
                                                                  Band Pull Aparts
                                                                  Stretching

Strength

5X3 Clean High-Pulls - aim for up to 85% of Saturday's weight
                                                                  3 @ 40kgs
                                                                  3 @ 60kgs
                                                                  3 @ 70kgs

Will stopped me here and had me break down the movement better

3 @ 60kgs
                                                                  3 @ 70kgs
                                                                  4 x 3 @ 80kgs

30+ reps in 15 minutes but had the movement better by the end - keep elbows locked during the first pull

Metcon

2 min AMRAP of:

Pullups

-then (no rest)-

6 min AMRAP of:

30 Calorie Row
                                                                  12 Burpees (walking feet out + back, no jump)

-then (no rest)-

2 min AMRAP of:
                                                                  Pullups
                                                                  Whatever, worked steadily. Gym was roasting this evening.
                                                                  Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 26-06-13, 08:39.

Comment

Workout 85, Wednesday 26th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                    Scap Slides
                                                                    Scap Push Ups
                                                                    Band Pull Aparts
                                                                    Stretching

Skill

Light Squatting
                                                                    5 Rounds of:

5 Goblet squats @ 16kgs Kettlebell
                                                                    10 High Bar Back Squats @ 40kgs

4th set:

Will reckons they look a lot better than pre injury. Pushing knees out fine.

Metcon

AMRAP 7 mins:

5 Chest to Bar Pull Ups
                                                                    7 Dumbbell Push Presses 20kg
                                                                    9 Kettlebell Swings 24kg
                                                                    3 rounds plus 5 pull ups.

Comment

Workout 86, Friday 28th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                      Pull Ups
                                                                      Scap Slides
                                                                      Scap Push Ups
                                                                      Band Pull Aparts
                                                                      Stretching
                                                                      Roll Overs

Strength

5x5 Deadlift @ 75% - rest at least 2mins
                                                                      5 @ 60kgs (touch and go)
                                                                      5 @ 100kgs (touch and go)
                                                                      3 @ 120kgs
                                                                      4 x 5 @ 142.5kgs
                                                                      1 x 6 @ 142.5kgs

Last set:

Got disorientated and did an extra rep! These sets were slow and very tough. Happy to get the work done but disappointed that 75% felt as heavy as it did.

Metcon

5 minute KB Snatch Test @ 16kg for total reps.

*Note: The goal of this test is to perform Snatches for the entire 5:00 unbroken. You may switch hands at any time, but the final rep count should be evenly split between both arms.
                                                                      Who cares. Did some work, did a lot of poor form reps. Not a metcon I would particularly care for tbh.
                                                                      Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 28-06-13, 22:56.

Comment

Workout 87, Saturday 29th 09:00am

Warmup

Dynamic Stretching
                                                                        Scap Slides
                                                                        Roll Overs

Strength

RDLs
                                                                        5 @ 60kgs
                                                                        8 @ 70kgs
                                                                        8 @ 75kgs
                                                                        8 @ 80kgs
                                                                        8 @ 85kgs

Barbell Rows
                                                                        8 @ 40kgs
                                                                        3 x 8 @ 50kgs

Good Mornings
                                                                        8 @ Bar
                                                                        2 x 8 @ 30kgs

Metcon

30 Pullups for time, with a 5 Pushup buy-in EMOM beginning when the clock starts. (10 Minute Time Cap)
                                                                        Strategy was 5 pushups + 3 Pull Ups and I managed to just about hold it finishing just before time expired.

50 Push Ups and 30 Pull Ups in 10 minutes is something.
                                                                        Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 06-07-13, 10:19.

Comment

Workout 88, Monday 1st 18:30pm

Firmly pressed the retard button over the weekend. There was:

Wings, malt, popcorn, ice cream Friday night
                                                                          Wings, sausages, muchos Ruthless Rye and other beer, McDonalds Saturday night
                                                                          A breakfast roll, jambon, dominoes mega meal deal Sunday night
                                                                          Maybe 8 hours sleep between Saturday and Sunday night

I'm logging this for accountability but also to note that I didn't really feel any better for it all at any point yesterday and today. Beer is good, going out is good. But the fast food retardation that accompanies it is no craic. Do better next time.

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                          Scap Slides
                                                                          Scap Push Ups
                                                                          Band Pull Aparts
                                                                          Stretching

Strength

5x3 Deadlift Top Pull + 2.5kgs from last week – rest at least 2 minutes
                                                                          5 @ 60kgs
                                                                          5 @ 100kgs
                                                                          3 @ 120kgs
                                                                          5 x 3 @ 135kgs

Glutes on fire afterwards. These are so much harder than regular deadlifts because there is so much more time under tension.

Metcon

3 Rounds with 15 minute cap:

50 Kettlebell Swings @ 24kgs
                                                                          100 Calorie Row
                                                                          Felt a bit fried and sore starting this but got the swings done, but 50 calories into the row I had to pack it in. Back was hurting on every pull on the rower. With the week ahead felt the prudent thing was to call it a day so I stopped.

Derek had me roll my upper back. He reckons it could just be tiredness from overloading it tonight (and recently really). A little sore now but hopefully will be grand with a night's sleep.

Comment

Workout 89, Tuesday 2nd 18:30pm

This was going to be a big heart session after last night. Back was okay this morning thankfully.

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                            Kettlebell snatches @ 16kgs
                                                                            Scap Slides
                                                                            Scap Push Ups
                                                                            Band Pull Aparts
                                                                            Stretching

Strength

5X3 Clean High-Pulls + 2.5kgs from last week
                                                                            3 @ 40kgs
                                                                            3 @ 60kgs
                                                                            3 @ 70kgs
                                                                            1 @ 80kgs
                                                                            5 x 3 @ 82.5kgs

Stay on my heels!!!

Metcon

Diane (modified*):

21-15-9
                                                                            Deadlifts @ 100kgs
                                                                            Push Ups
                                                                            10:38 **PB** Sweaty mess on the floor after - that was all I had in the tank today.

Went:

15 - 6 Deadlift
                                                                            7 - 7 - 7 Push Ups ()
                                                                            8 - 7 Deadlift
                                                                            7 - 4 - 4 Push Ups
                                                                            5 - 4 Deadlift
                                                                            5 - 3 - 1 () Push Ups

Collapsed on the last Push Up and had to do it again which probably cost me 20 seconds alone.

That is compared with 30th April:

Complete as prescribed in 13:25. Went:

7 - 6 - 6 - 2 Deadlifts
                                                                            5 - 5 - 5 - 4 - 2 Push Ups
                                                                            5 - 5 - 5 Deadlifts
                                                                            5 - 5 - 3 - 2 Push Ups
                                                                            5 - 4 - Deadlifts
                                                                            4 - 3 - 2 Push Ups
                                                                            ========================================

*Wrote up my PB on the board and was getting ready to go when Colm called me over infront of the 19:30 class (they were getting ready to begin their warmup) and informed me that I hadn't done Diane - Diane is HSPUs. That I could note my modification if I wanted, but couldn't leave as is on the board. Told him to shove it obviously and just chalked it off. Won't bother writing anything up there again.

He's technically correct of course, but fuck me - didn't have to be brought up right there and then imo!!

Comment

Workout 90, Wednesday 3rd 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                              Pull Ups
                                                                              Scap Slides
                                                                              Scap Push Ups
                                                                              Band Pull Aparts
                                                                              Stretching

Skill

Light Squatting
                                                                              5 Rounds of:

10 High Bar Back Squats @ 45kgs

Hmm, some sets good some sets bad. Gasping after each set in the heat, very tough. Did 2 extra reps on the third set according to Colm after losing count.

Metcon

3 rounds for time of:

7 Strict Presses 50Kg
                                                                              14 Hang Power Cleans 50Kg
                                                                              21 Calorie Row
                                                                              Boom! 14:50. Happy to get this done under the 15 minute cap. Did each set of the strict presses done in one go and each row done in under a minute (though lost much time walking across the gym to get to and from the rower outside). Hang Power Cleans were mega, mega ugly though. Fuck me I really suck at that exercise.

==============

Knees slightly irritated after. Icing now, hopefully nothing a day's rest can't fix.

Comment

Workout 91, Friday 5th 18:30pm

Warmup

Dumbell Presses @ 12.5kgs
                                                                                Pull Ups
                                                                                Scap Slides
                                                                                Scap Push Ups
                                                                                Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                Stretching

Strength

5x5 Deadlift - rest at least 2mins - add 2.5kgs from last week
                                                                                3 @ 120kgs
                                                                                1 @ 140kgs
                                                                                5 x 5 @ 145kgs

Very tough. Should they be? Reps 3 - 5 on the last two sets were very difficult. Everything went up, but it was slow.

Metcon

AMRAP 8:

12 Burpees (no jump)
                                                                                12 Ring Rows
                                                                                2 Rounds and 10 Burpees. No gas left in the tank.

Comment

Workout 92, Saturday 6th 09:00am

Hams and glutes very sore this morning.

Warmup

Walk to the gym
                                                                                  Dynamic Stretching
                                                                                  Scap Slides
                                                                                  Leg Swings

Strength

RDLs
                                                                                  5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                  3 x 8 @ 90kgs

Barbell Rows
                                                                                  3 x 8 @ 50kgs

Good Mornings
                                                                                  3 x 8 @ 30kgs

Metcon

3 rounds for total reps of:

1:00 Max Effort Pushups

2:00 AMRAP of:

12 Situps
                                                                                  8 Dumbbell Push Press 20kgs

*Rest 1:00

Notes: This piece is 3 rounds of 3:00 of work with 1:00 rest after each round. There is no break between the Push Ups and the AMRAP
                                                                                  Did some work. Very fatigued after the week.

Comment

Workout 93, Monday 8th 18:30pm

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                                    Scap Slides
                                                                                    Scap Push Ups
                                                                                    Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                    Stretching

Strength

5x3 Deadlift Top Pull + 5kgs from last week – rest at least 2 minutes
                                                                                    5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                    5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                    5 x 3 @ 140kgs

Sore posterior chain after but, to be honest, these went as well as can be expected. Went up quickly, felt very strong.

Metcon

5 rounds for reps of:

30 sec. Max Effort No Jump Burpees
                                                                                    30 sec. Rest
                                                                                    30 sec. Max Effort Dumbell Push Press @ 20Kgs
                                                                                    30 sec. Rest
                                                                                    30 sec. Max Effort Ab-Mat Situps
                                                                                    30 sec. Rest
                                                                                    Felt awful, jaysus. Worked hard.

Comment

Workout 94, Wednesday 10th 19:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                                      Hanging Knee Raises
                                                                                      Scap Slides
                                                                                      Scap Push Ups
                                                                                      Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                      Stretching

Skill

Light Squatting
                                                                                      5 Rounds of:

10 High Bar Back Squats @ 50kgs

Collapsing forward at the bottom on the first two sets. Colm and Derek queued me how to get and keep tighter across the next three and they were good apparently. Depth is very good apparently.

Strength

10 minutes to work to a max Clean High-Pull for the day

EMOM for 8 minutes: 2 Clean High-Pulls @ 80% of today’s max
                                                                                      Worked up to 90kgs then did the EMOM reps @ 70kgs.

Today was very tough. Work not the most fun at the moment and finding it difficult to get much shut eye at night due to the heat.

Comment

Workout 95, Thursday 11th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                                        Kettlebell Snatches
                                                                                        Scap Slides
                                                                                        Scap Push Ups
                                                                                        Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                        Stretching

Strength

Strict Press - 5 x 3 @ 80%
                                                                                        8 @ bar
                                                                                        3 @ 40kgs
                                                                                        3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                        3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                        3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                        3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                        2.5 @ 60kgs (bah, Colm had watched the previous set and I was probably thinking too much about the one suggestion he had which is to try and make your elbows come together on the way down)
                                                                                        3 @ 60kgs (grind city on the last rep)

Colm reckons form here is good.

Metcon

10 Minute Cap:

60 Pullups for time*
                                                                                        *EMOM including the first minute – 3 No Clap Burpees
                                                                                        Managed 6 Pull Ups the first minute but knew I wasn't going to keep that pace so just did 3 the rest of the way.

Comment

Workout 96, Friday 12th 18:30pm

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                                          Pull Ups
                                                                                          Scap Slides
                                                                                          Scap Push Ups
                                                                                          Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                          Stretching

Strength

5x5 Deadlift - rest at least 2mins - add 5kgs from last week
                                                                                          3 @ 120kgs
                                                                                          5 x 5 @ 150kgs

Fuck you world. This was an emotional 20 minutes to tell you all the truth. Vicious general back and ass pump after. Sweat pumped out of me and the reps went up reeeaaaall slow. But they all went up which is the important bit.

Metcon

4 Rounds of:
                                                                                          1 Min Max Effort Sled Push (Empty – 50′) {note: Walk fast, do not run/sprint - minimise impact}
                                                                                          1 Min Max Effort Kettlebell Snatch @ 16kgs
                                                                                          1 Min Rest
                                                                                          Wiped out after the Deads so kept this at a real manageable pace - 4 lengths of the floor with the sled and 5 snatches each side. Sled pushes suck.

Comment

Workout 97, Saturday 13th 09:00am

Warmup

Walk to the gym
                                                                                            Dynamic Stretching
                                                                                            Scap Slides
                                                                                            Roll Overs

Strength

RDLs
                                                                                            3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                            3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                            3 x 8 @ 95kgs

Barbell Rows
                                                                                            3 x 8 @ 55kgs

Good Mornings
                                                                                            3 x 8 @ 40kgs

Metcon

12 - 9 - 6

Hang Dumbell Power Clean and Push Press @20kgs dumbell
                                                                                            Pull Ups
                                                                                            14:10. Week's training in the bag.

Deadlift is tested on Thursday evening. Some 80 - 90% singles on Monday to work on a new testing technique. Must get 200kgs on Thursday!!

Comment

Workout 98, Monday 15th 19:30pm

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                                              Scap Slides
                                                                                              Scap Push Ups
                                                                                              Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                              Stretching

Strength

1) Take 5 attempts to work up to a near maximal Clean High-pull (use the rack and PVC combo to check height)

2) EMOM for 5 minutes – 1 Clean High Pull @ 90% of that weight
                                                                                              Worked up to 90kgs and then did part two @ 80kgs. Bit of banter with Will about height of the PVC Pipe which spurred me on to my strongest Clean High Pull reps to date I'd say.

Metcon

2:00 Max Effort Kettlebell Snatch (16kg)

Then (no rest)-

3:00 Max Effort Row

Rest 2:00-

3:00 Max Effort Row

Then (no rest)-

2:00 Max Effort KB Snatch (16kg)
                                                                                              Grand job. 1750m rowed in 5 mins and 46 seconds (lost a few seconds on the first transition).

Back in eight and a half hours!!

Comment

Workout 99, Tuesday 16th 06:30am

Warmup

Kettlebell Snatches @ 20kgs
                                                                                                Push Ups
                                                                                                Scap Slides
                                                                                                Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                Stretching

Strength

5x1 Deadlift @ 85%. These are deliberately light for single reps, purpose is to practise your setup and prep the CNS for Thurs
                                                                                                5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                3 @ 120kgs (Touch and go)
                                                                                                1 @ 130kgs
                                                                                                1 @ 140kgs
                                                                                                8 x 1 @ 165kgs

Disaster. Was supposed to try a new technique for the test by Will but couldn't master it and did too many singles. Argh.

Metcon

15 Minute Cap:

5 rounds of “Cindy”

5 Pull-ups
                                                                                                10 HR Push-ups
                                                                                                15 Air Squats (take your time with these)

-then-

15 Clean High-Pulls @ 60kgs

-then-

5 rounds of “Cindy”

5 Pull-ups
                                                                                                10 HR Push-ups
                                                                                                15 Air Squats
                                                                                                Got five rounds done then 12 High Pulls. Working out first thing isn't easy.

Comment

Workout 100, Thursday 18th 18:30pm

***100 Crossfit Sessions***

Decided to skip yesterday morning and ate more than usual the past two days. Heat and work had me a little nervous but once we got going felt very good.

Warmup

Hanging Knee Ups
                                                                                                  Push Ups
                                                                                                  Scap Slides
                                                                                                  Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                  Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                  Stretching

Strength

1) EMOM for 5 minutes:

2) Clean High Pulls @ 70%

Notes: This is meant to provide a warm up for both the legs and the CNS. DO NOT go above the prescribed weight. Each set should be easy and fast.
                                                                                                  6 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                  3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                  65kgs for EMOM reps

Establish a 1 Rep Max Deadlift
                                                                                                  5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                  5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                  3 @ 120kgs
                                                                                                  **End of touch and go**
                                                                                                  2 @ 140kgs (fast, Will commented that they looked light)
                                                                                                  **Chalk**
                                                                                                  1 @ 160kgs
                                                                                                  1 @ 170kgs
                                                                                                  1 @ 180kgs
                                                                                                  **Shoes off**
                                                                                                  1 @ 190kgs
                                                                                                  1 @ 200kgs **PB**

Threw another 5kgs on the bar and it wouldn't budge.

Delighted. 3 Weeks training and a 10kgs PB. No complaints.

Comment

Workout 101, Friday 19th 06:30am

Warmup

Pull Ups
                                                                                                    Push Ups
                                                                                                    Scap Slides
                                                                                                    Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                    Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                    Stretching

Mobility

2 Rounds:

Banded Hamstring Stretches
                                                                                                    Quad Stretch

Metcon

3 x 75 calorie rows on Airdyne, rest 1 : !
                                                                                                    ~4mins for each one

No need to head down today to be honest. Not worth a shite less than 12 hours after the 200kgs pull last night.

Comment

Milestone 100th workout and 200kg to boot. Good stuff

Comment

Workout 102, Monday 22nd 17:30pm

Heavy, heavy weekend on the booze at a Stag.

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                                                        Scap Slides
                                                                                                        Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                        Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                        Stretching

Strength

Clean High Pulls
                                                                                                        3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 90kgs
                                                                                                        3 @ 92.5kgs
                                                                                                        3 x 3 @ 80kgs

Metcon

1 minute Max Effort Strict Pull-ups
                                                                                                        3 minute AMRAP of:

15 Burpees (still without jumping)
                                                                                                        10 Push Press 52.5Kg/35Kg

2 minutes ME Strict Pull-ups
                                                                                                        3 minute AMRAP of:

15 Burpees
                                                                                                        10 Push Press

1 minute ME Strict Pull-ups
                                                                                                        Whatever, worked as hard as I could. Pumping sweat throughout. Glad to get it under the belt.

Comment

Workout 103, Tuesday 23rd 18:30pm

The heat.

Anyway, gym is running the Hatch Squat program and I'm going to give it a go on account of the knees being better off a 'max' of 100kgs. Going to avoid running, jumping and Olympic lifts with a landing component for a while yet however.

Warmup

Push Ups
                                                                                                          Pull Ups
                                                                                                          Scap Slides
                                                                                                          Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                          Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                          Stretching

Strength

HBBS: 1X10@60%, 1X8@70%, 1X6@75%, 1X4@80% – rest 2 minutes.
                                                                                                          8 @ bar
                                                                                                          5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                          10 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                          8 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                          6 @ 75kgs
                                                                                                          4 @ 80kgs

Will reckons stance needs to be a touch wider on Friday. Some of these felt heavy. Practice needed on this one.

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 rounds:
                                                                                                          500m Row
                                                                                                          7 Front Squats 45kg
                                                                                                          10:39. Kept the rows deliberately in the 1:45 - 1:50 range and did the Front Squats in one go each time. Will reckoned Front Squats were decent, good depth.

Hopefully the knees aren't complaining tomorrow morning and it's all good!

Comment

Also, the Crossfit games start tomorrow in California and they announced some of the events last night. Utterly retarded from a health and safety perspective:

Watch archived footage of the announcement at the athlete dinner Monday night where athletes were surprised with three Wednesday events. 

Leaving aside the stupidity of a half marathon row, to have fatigued athletes racing up and down the steps of a stadium is a recipe for absolute disaster. I hope they avoid the worst and we don't get an athlete snotting themselves.

Comment

I like the new workouts, I felt before it was very much a weights competition.

Comment

Leaving aside the stupidity of a half marathon row, to have fatigued athletes racing up and down the steps of a stadium is a recipe for absolute disaster. I hope they avoid the worst and we don't get an athlete snotting themselves.
                                                                                                                Where is that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                                  I like the new workouts, I felt before it was very much a weights competition.
                                                                                                                  Don't get me wrong, I like the general idea. The sprint competition should be fun and the Nauty Nancy would be cool if they were running around a safe course. Hell, if it wasn't a four day competition I could be on board with the row. My objection is that the design completely ignores health and safety:

- having athletes getting out of a pool to then attempt a jumping bar muscle up then back to the pool?
                                                                                                                  - having fatigued athletes run a race as a heat up and down narrow and steep flights of stadium steps?
                                                                                                                  - having athletes then row a half marathon distance with multiple events ahead?

The row in of itself will probably knock an athlete or two out of competition as any technical weakness over that many fatigued strokes is injury city. But the recovery impact of that into a day of high intensity naughty nancy + clean and jerk ladder day is madness.

It's all well and good saying 'go longer', but 10k runners at track meets don't have a load of events ahead of them to do after their race.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                  Where is that one?
                                                                                                                  It's the 'Nauty Nancy'. Four rounds of 600m run up and around the upper concourse of a soccer stadium followed by 25 overhead squats at 140lbs.

Comment

Workout 104, Thursday 25th 18:30pm

Warmup

Kettlebell Snatches
                                                                                                                    Push Ups
                                                                                                                    Scap Slides
                                                                                                                    Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                                    Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                                    Stretching

Strength

Clean High Pulls
                                                                                                                    4 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                                    3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                                    3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                    3 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                                    2 x 3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                    3 x 1 @ 85kgs

Metcon

1a) 4xME supinated pull-ups (chin ups)
                                                                                                                    1b) 4×5 Push press
                                                                                                                    1c) 4×10 Good mornings
                                                                                                                    Did the Push Press @ 60kgs and the Good Mornings @ 40kgs.

Comment

Workout 105, Friday 26th 18:30pm

Warmup

Hanging Knee Raises
                                                                                                                      Push Ups
                                                                                                                      Scap Slides
                                                                                                                      Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                                      Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                                      Stretching

Strength

HBBS: 1X10@60%, 1X8@65%, 1X8@70%, 1X8@75% – rest 2 minutes.
                                                                                                                      8 @ bar
                                                                                                                      5 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                                      10 @ 60kgs

8 @ 65kgs
                                                                                                                      8 @ 70kgs

8 @ 75kgs

Widened the stance. Were tough but okay technically. Need to get better camera work!

Metcon

15 minute cap:

3 rounds:

7 Front Squats @ (45kgs)
                                                                                                                      21 Kettlebell Swings @ 24Kgs
                                                                                                                      30 Calorie Row
                                                                                                                      7 Calories short. Lost my grip on the last set of Front Squats and the bar dropped on the 4th rep. Pesky inflexible shoulders.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 27-07-13, 09:38.

Comment

Workout 106, Saturday 27th 11:00am

Warmup

Shoulder Dislocates
                                                                                                                        PVC Pipe work
                                                                                                                        Dynamic Stretching
                                                                                                                        Stretching

Strength

Deadlift
                                                                                                                        5 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                        5 @ 100kgs
                                                                                                                        5 @ 120kgs (touch and go)
                                                                                                                        2 @ 140kgs
                                                                                                                        5 @ 160kgs

Some talk about technique and not resetting from the top between each rep

2 @ 165kgs

Metcon

9-7-5 of:

Chinups - lowest band setting possible
                                                                                                                        Clean High-Pulls - 70kg
                                                                                                                        9:50 moving to slot 15. Probably will lower from the green band as assistance soon.

Comment

Workout 107, Monday 29th 18:30pm

Warmup

Kneeling Muscle Ups
                                                                                                                          Band Pull Aparts
                                                                                                                          Scap Slides
                                                                                                                          Scap Push Ups
                                                                                                                          Stretching

Strength

Clean High Pulls
                                                                                                                          3 @ 40kgs
                                                                                                                          1 Power Clean @ 40kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 50kgs
                                                                                                                          1 Power Clean @ 50kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                          1 Power Clean @ 60kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 70kgs
                                                                                                                          1 Power Clean @ 70kgs
                                                                                                                          3 @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                          F Power Clean @ 80kgs
                                                                                                                          1 @ 90kgs
                                                                                                                          3 x 3 @ 80kgs

Racking up some volume on these!

Metcon

5 rounds for reps of:

20 sec. Max Effort Strict Press 52.5/35Kg
                                                                                                                          10 sec. Rest
                                                                                                                          20 sec. Max Effort Pull-ups
                                                                                                                          10 sec. Rest
                                                                                                                          40 sec. Max Effort Kettlebell Swing, 24kg
                                                                                                                          20 sec. Rest
                                                                                                                          Worked hard. Repped out the Press like a boss.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X