Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Say I have a SQL table - millions of records

two particular attributes - A and B

each contains a list of values that overlap but are not exactly the same (currency codes in this case)

I want to write a query to get a distinct list of values in A that do not exist in B

help please O IT nerds
    Could you try a left join and then case when Tbl1.A=Tbl2.B then 1 else 0 end as 'Rd3' and take all the zeros.
    Just add a where clause
    Where RD3= '0'

Hmmm haven't done SQL in a few months
    Last edited by Guest; 21-11-17, 21:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
      Didn't go well today for Judd Trump

Walked straight out and wouldnt speak to the media.
      Never seen him play so bad missing pots by the width of the pocket, missed all long shot which is usually a strong point for him.
      Something wasnt mentally right with him from the first frame.
      Carrington was not good by any means and will surely be knocked out next round.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
        Walked straight out and wouldnt speak to the media.
        Never seen him play so bad missing pots by the width of the pocket, missed all long shot which is usually a strong point for him.
        Something wasnt mentally right with him from the first frame.
        Carrington was not good by any means and will surely be knocked out next round.
        The airline lost his cue coming back from Shanghai

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            working in Tableau?
            No. SQL.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

After a pretty decent first half the Liverpool game has absolutely burst into life

Comment

Never mind, I'll just make some dev do it for me

Comment

Am facing a horrible situation at 12.30 pm tomorrow . My dog Freckles aged 16 is unfortunately being put to sleep , she is deaf , almost blind , struggles to even stand and is now going to the toilet in her dog kennel. Poor dog is just existing , when the storm ophelia arrived . I went to carry her into kitchen and she went for me very unlike her. Bones obv sore . I cant put her through another winter. She is not a house dog and has no control over bowels anymore

Rang vet other day had a chat , yeah I can put her on tablets , injections etc and maybe prolong her life . She doesnt wag her tail recognises nobody. vet agreed maybe for the best and will call to my house tomorrow.

Mia doesnt know yet , kinda preparing her alot last few days , saying she is not finishing her food and i dont think there is much left in her etc , she got quite upset about it.

My plan is to tell her that the dog died peacefully curled up in shed and vet took her away .
                  i really am not looking forward to it. I dont know should I sit in shed with her while she is being sedated or should I just walk away.

Fucking thoughts of seeing her being taken away dead is heartbreaking but I know deep down its for the best.

Has anyone else been in this situation before?

happier times , huge bond

Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Hard going. The vet really shouldn't be offering you alternatives and should be guiding you towards the humane decision imo. If possible take the dog to the vet and have everything done there. Either sit with her or don't depending on what you feel yourself. It's very quick after the injection. I would tell your daughter the truth, too.

Comment

I think if you are comparing two tables you can do:

SELECT * FROM tblA
                      EXCEPT
                      SELECT * FROM tblB;

That should return all the rows that are in table B but not table A.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                        The airline lost his cue coming back from Shanghai
                        I know the commentators said.
                        But still made so many uncharacteristic mistakes against poor opposition.
                        Didn't another player lose his cue in transit during the year??

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          Hard going. The vet really shouldn't be offering you alternatives and should be guiding you towards the humane decision imo. If possible take the dog to the vet and have everything done there. Either sit with her or don't depending on what you feel yourself. It's very quick after the injection. I would tell your daughter the truth, too.
                          I cant lift her at all into car , I couldnt get her up the step of back door. I might sit with her for ten mins on floor and then walk out . Im very unsure in telling Mia truth. would it not be better to say she died in sleep as in ah freckles had a great life and it was a good way to go rather than oh I got a vet to inject her. I just dunno what to say.?
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                            I think if you are comparing two tables you can do:

SELECT * FROM tblA
                            EXCEPT
                            SELECT * FROM tblB;

That should return all the rows that are in table B but not table A.
                            One table, two columns

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                              Am facing a horrible situation at 12.30 pm tomorrow . My dog Freckles aged 16 is unfortunately being put to sleep , she is deaf , almost blind , struggles to even stand and is now going to the toilet in her dog kennel. Poor dog is just existing , when the storm ophelia arrived . I went to carry her into kitchen and she went for me very unlike her. Bones obv sore . I cant put her through another winter. She is not a house dog and has no control over bowels anymore

Rang vet other day had a chat , yeah I can put her on tablets , injections etc and maybe prolong her life . She doesnt wag her tail recognises nobody. vet agreed maybe for the best and will call to my house tomorrow.

Mia doesnt know yet , kinda preparing her alot last few days , saying she is not finishing her food and i dont think there is much left in her etc , she got quite upset about it.

My plan is to tell her that the dog died peacefully curled up in shed and vet took her away .
                              i really am not looking forward to it. I dont know should I sit in shed with her while she is being sedated or should I just walk away.

Fucking thoughts of seeing her being taken away dead is heartbreaking but I know deep down its for the best.

Has anyone else been in this situation before?

happier times , huge bond

I don't think you should hide it from Mia. She might want to go with her to spend her last moment with her.

I know when I was younger and our cat was dying, myself and my Dad went to the vet to have her put down. I had grown up with her, she was our first pet. I was in bits but I wanted to be there for her final moments. I saw her look right at me right before she went. It was really hard at the time, but looking back I am glad I was there.
                              Last edited by cardshark202; 21-11-17, 21:27.

Comment

Must be very sad for you Michelle but only fair to do what is right for the dog. I agree with Zuutroy in that I'd tell Mia - she seems pretty grown up so should understand.

Comment

I think I'd prefer to explain doing the humane thing and give her a chance to say goodbye to the dog but I don't know the kid and listening to a scientist about such matters is probably a terrible idea.

Comment

One table, two columns
                                    Sorry, just read it properly now.

SELECT DISTINCT rowA FROM table1 WHERE rowA != rowB;
                                    Last edited by cardshark202; 21-11-17, 21:29. Reason: forgot distinct*

Comment

Comment

Say I have a SQL table - millions of records

two particular attributes - A and B

each contains a list of values that overlap but are not exactly the same (currency codes in this case)

I want to write a query to get a distinct list of values in A that do not exist in B

help please O IT nerds
                                        Select distinct(column1) from table1 where column1 not in (select distinct(column2) from table1);

I'm fierce rusty at the auld sql though.

Comment

I'd tell her the truth. She seems to be more grown up than you so will understand.

Our dog is getting close to that age too. He'll be 13 this Christmas. Hopefully get a couple years more but his bones are pretty fecked already
                                          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

I don't think you should hide it from Mia. She might want to go with her to spend her last moment with her.

I know when I was younger and our cat was dying, myself and my Dad went to the vet to have her put down. I had grown up with her, she was our first pet. I was in bits but I wanted to be there for her final moments. I saw her look right at me right before she went. I really hard at the time, but looking back I am glad I was there.
                                            I picked that time as I knew Mia would be in school , I honestly could not put myself through that watching Mia seeing it. I genuinely cant. I was gonna bring dog in tonight but thought no its creating a bigger bond if you get me before she goes. I cant really explain my thoughts .

Maybe I should go out now to shed and bring her in? and leave blanket in kitchen , Mia will see her in morning before school and will ask why she was in and I can say , she was sick last night and I had to bring her in?

My head is fucking wrecked
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

I picked that time as I knew Mia would be in school , I honestly could not put myself through that watching Mia seeing it. I genuinely cant. I was gonna bring dog in tonight but thought no its creating a bigger bond if you get me before she goes. I cant really explain my thoughts .

Maybe I should go out now to shed and bring her in? and leave blanket in kitchen , Mia will see her in morning before school and will ask why she was in and I can say , she was sick last night and I had to bring her in?

My head is fucking wrecked
                                                She's grown up with the dog her whole life. she's like a family member. I would give Mia the option to come with you if she wants it. It might be hard for you to see her, but I think you have to be fair to Mia too. Just my opinion anyway.

Comment

Comment

There is no real wrong answer there Michelle, it's a tough situation. If you aren't telling her, having her see the dog in the morning would be nice though.

Comment

I feel a need to pointlessly point out that my question was meant as whether you were importing the data into Tableau from SQL before working on it, and therefore not quite as dumb as it sounded But yes what everyone else said makes more sense.
                                                      About four levels above visualisation in this case. Don't use Tableau either.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                        After a pretty decent first half the Liverpool game has absolutely burst into life
                                                        Inevitable ending!

Comment

I didn't realise it was two columns in one table hence the join suggestion.
                                                          Maybe a sub query would make it easier.

Select
                                                          Case when Tbl1.A=Tbl2.BB then 1 else O end as 'X'

From Tbl1

Left Join Tbl2.BB= Tbl1.A

(Select Distinct B as 'BB'

From Tbl1) as 'Tbl2'

Where X= '0'

Comment

Didn't she say recently she doesn't bI've in God n all? Won't buy a doggy heaven shtick imo. Do tell her, first experience with death is never easy. I've a pain in my stomach now thinking about my nan when I was Mias age but she will thank you in a few years

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                Inevitable ending!
                                                                Was gonna turn off at HT. Cracking game. Seville deserved the draw at the end

Comment

Maybe push it back until Monday then if going with this approach, as its a lot to dump on a kid while they're eating their cornflakes and asking them to make a decision on what they want to do. Explain it gently over the weekend 'the vet said she's very sick and ...'
                                                                  I told a white lie last week said dog was sick and vet came out to take bloods, so that was my first prep

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                  There is no real wrong answer there Michelle, it's a tough situation. If you aren't telling her, having her see the dog in the morning would be nice though.
                                                                  I now have freckles on two blankets in kitchen , my decision is gonna be in morn to mia is that she had a bad night , mia will get an hour with her in morn. I think that is a better memory than sitting with her watching vet do that .

Ill come home from work at 3.30 and sit with her and tell her I had to call vet. I am off Thursday too so I can be here for her if she needs me.
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Was given this today , is it safe to drink? Dont really like chardonnay . would it be gone off like lol

Jaysis Michelle don't drink that!

There's a fungus called plasmopara viticola that affects the chardonnay grape turning it's juice pink. Can cause blindness.

Hope I'm not too late.

Edit. Was winding you up obv, hadn't read your sad post about your poor dog. Wish you well
                                                                    Last edited by Lazare; 21-11-17, 22:01.
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ah I mistook that then. Thought you said you used Tableau back when we were talking about data science.
                                                                      No, the other crowd

Comment

We had to get our dog put down after about 15 years too (i was in my very early 20s so not really a comparison to Mia) but i went into the room with my dad and held my dog's paw while he got the injection. It's very tough to take to be honest.

I'd explain to Mia that the dog is in so much pain, that the best thing to do is to put her to sleep and give her to choice about whether she wants to go to the clinic or not. I know you say that you can't carry her, but i'd try to make every effort to get the dog to the clinic for the treatment. This way, Mia has the choice to go along, and she can say her goodbye in the clinic, or maybe wait outside while the injection is being done, and then come into the treatment room and say her goodbye after the dog has passed. I'd hate not to have the option to say goodbye and she may resent you later for not giving her the choice.

She seems very mature and it's a decision she will thank you for. I wouldn't recommend letting her stay for the injection, but i think you should stay and comfort the dog while she is put down. If Mia decides that she wants to be there til the end, be mindful that she may want to leave before it's all over so either have someone else there for her, or you will have to leave with her and i'm not sure how this affect what you would like to do. It will be a very sad day for all, but i'm sure whatever you do for Mia will be what you think is best for her.

Comment

You can use 'NOT IN'.

W3Schools offers free online tutorials, references and exercises in all the major languages of the web. Covering popular subjects like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, SQL, Java, and many, many more.

If the datasets are very large, then try using a LEFT JOIN with WHERE B IS NULL clause:

Could some one please provide how to write following sql query using joins. I do not want use not in as well as if possible I would like to replace where condition as well. SELECT d1.Short_Code FROM
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So if it's two columns in the same table:

select ColumnA from Table where ColumnA not in (select columnB from table);

Easy.
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Easy.
                                                                              So what I said then, except that I added some 'distinction' to my query.

Comment

Easy.
                                                                                Don't forget the distinct bit.

LOLerpool
                                                                                Last edited by Wombatman; 21-11-17, 22:34.
                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

With millions of rows a left join would be more efficient. You have to join the table against itself tho:

select columna from Table a
                                                                                  left join
                                                                                  Table b on a.columna=b.columnb
                                                                                  where b.columnb is null;

EXCEPT will work but can be inefficient in large datasets.

Sorry, just read it properly now.

SELECT DISTINCT rowA FROM table1 WHERE rowA != rowB;
                                                                                  I don't think this is what he's looking for at all.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                      Don't forget the distinct bit.

LOLerpool
                                                                                      Right yeah:

select distinct ColumnA from Table where ColumnA not in (select columnB from table);

This could take hours if there's lots of rows.

Comment

My dog Trigger was my best friend growing up. Used to sleep in my bed, whenever we managed to pull the wool over me mam' s eyes.

Those were the days when dogs roamed free. Your dog was like a family teenager, under somewhat authority but not a lot. You had to go looking for them at bed time.

My Dad brought her home in 1985 and she was 4" long. I remember seeing her for the first time, my Dad with her in the palm of his hand. A mongrel Jack Russel type in a beautiful tan colour. Loved her instantly.

She followed me to school all the time which was cool as I regularly got sent to bring her home. She was a reg in the local Dunnes, all the staff knew her. Often had to imprison her in an upturned trolley whenever I was heading to Tallaght village as the roads were too scary. I'd tell her to go home and she'd turn and walk a few yards before turning around legging it back to catch up with me.

When I started working I would get off the bus in the evenings and walk down my road. Every night without fail she would be hanging out down near the gaff, I would let out a whistle and she would bound up the road with excitement and jump all over me. Every night.

When I was 22 and driving my Mam's car to work I reversed out of the driveway one morning and saw her in the rear view mirror, standing in the gap at the end of our road. She was looking at me, standing there still.

I never saw her again after that.

They say they run away to die. Not sure myself.

Not getting a chance to say goodbye to her hurt a lot for a long while.

Not sure what you can take from that Michelle if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                          So what I said then, except that I added some 'distinction' to my query.
                                                                                          Sorry I didn't see you had answered it already.

Comment

Never got another dog eirher. Couldn't go through that again.

Comment

With millions of rows a left join would be more efficient. You have to join the table against itself tho:

select column from Table a
                                                                                              left join
                                                                                              where b.columnb is null;

Query needs to say "select a.columna from Table a" in the first line or you will get an ambiguity error
                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The query I suggested will work as a sub query.

Probably need to add a distinct before the case when otherwise it'll be fine.

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                Select
                                                                                                Case when Tbl1.A=Tbl2.BB then 1 else O end as 'X'

From Tbl1

Left Join Tbl2.BB= Tbl1.A

(Select Distinct B as 'BB'

From Tbl1) as 'Tbl2'

Where X= '0'

Comment

All the other posts on the topic prove that this is clearly the best option.

Comment

select columna from Table a
                                                                                                    left join
                                                                                                    where b.columnb is null;

I meant column and not row btw!

It's one table so no need for any joins at all.

Comment

So really it is very straight forward:

SELECT DISTINCT columnA FROM table1 WHERE columnA != columnB.

Thats how I would write it in sql server, would have thought oracle would be close enough to that though.

Comment

Are we there yet?
                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                          Eat the same but exercise more. =weight loss
                                                                                                          Nice in theory, but burning energy, building muscle and exercise generally can increase appetite.
                                                                                                          If it was was to only eat what we need and not what we feel like. Weight control would be a doddle
                                                                                                          Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                          According to Chris Kesser on a recent JRE sleep is the number two determinant in weight gain/loss. Exercise is third.
                                                                                                          I'd well believe that.
                                                                                                          But I imagine its very hard to distinguish the correlative and causative effects of both exercise and sleep.
                                                                                                          I would assume that people who put more effort into exercise and getting quality sleep are more likely to be on point with their diet.
                                                                                                          it will most likely be rank

open it up and have a sniff, you'll be able to tell straight away

Some Chardonnays (in the guise of Chablis) can last for decades but this is highly unlikely to be one.
                                                                                                          Yeah, that's unlikely to be one. Hunter chardonnays are usually oaked rather than chablis style, at least back in 2000.
                                                                                                          Apparently there was a trend back in day for labeling Hunter Valley Semillions as Chablis. Not sure if that "legal" now, or maybe just frowned upon.

Comment

@Laz & run people.

Running my first ever 5k tomorrow. What's a relastic target for an over weight injury prone gentleman? Only excersise I've done in last 3 months is played about 4 90 mins soccer games in center mid were I almost died from being so unfit. Haven't done anything in the last 4 weeks due to an ankle injury.

Anything sub 30 I'd be over the moon but will say 32. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                              According to Chris Kesser on a recent JRE sleep is the number two determinant in weight gain/loss. Exercise is third.
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I'd well believe that.
                                                                                                              But I imagine its very hard to distinguish the correlative and causative effects of both exercise and sleep.
                                                                                                              I would assume that people who put more effort into exercise and getting quality sleep are more likely to be on point with their diet.
                                                                                                              I'd bet a large % of the time its just less time in the day to stuff calories into your mouth. Less stress that stimulates appetite and less time to be bored so eating to fill time.
                                                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Goosebumps reading that story Lazare. Never had the pleasure of having a dog growing up but I would be of the opinion of full disclosure SatNav & letting Mia decide what she wants to do. She seems far more sensible than her years so less need for you to play it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                                  @Laz & run people.

Running my first ever 5k tomorrow. What's a relastic target for an over weight injury prone gentleman? Only excersise I've done in last 3 months is played about 4 90 mins soccer games in center mid were I almost died from being so unfit. Haven't done anything in the last 4 weeks due to an ankle injury.

Anything sub 30 I'd be over the moon but will say 32. Thoughts?
                                                                                                                  32 sounds good tbh

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                  I'd bet a large % of the time its just less time in the day to stuff calories into your mouth. Less stress that stimulates appetite and less time to be bored so eating to fill time.
                                                                                                                  There's probably a link between being awake longer and eating more generally. But would be pretty easy to eliminate that variable and test the effect of sleep alone.
                                                                                                                  Lacking sleep has a pretty direct effect of hormones, including cortisol afaik.

Anecdotally, when people want to show low testosterone in blood test. They just stay up all night the night before the test.

Comment

At this rate the only growth industry for humans is going to be churning out public apologies
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 22-11-17, 07:25.

Comment

I'm in Sao Paulo at the moment with the missus to visit the in-laws. Went to a coffee shop the other day and it seems that this place has the branding figured out. I wonder if they ever read the BBV for franchise inspiration.

SPOILER

Also had had a peruvian dish called ceviche the same day. Unreal, all raw seafood that's been cured in lime juice + some spices.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                      Last edited by coillcam; 22-11-17, 18:43.

Comment

@Satnav
                                                                                                                        When I was 12 my dad and I were out walking the dog in some fields one morning and the dog spotted a rabbit and chased it, he ended up going over a hidden drop beyond a bush line and fell through a barbed wire fence. Tore through his shoulder muscle right through to the bone. There was blood everywhere and dad had to carry the dog for about a mile to the car and drove straight to the vet's house at 7:30am. I stayed with the him all the way through to say goodbye and I don't regret it. It was the humane thing to do and I understood that.

A couple of years ago we found a badly injured cat on the road and brought it to the vet, my 12 year old (at the time) daughter also stayed with the cat all the way through the process of examination/put to sleep. It's very upsetting for a child but I also feel it's a chance to show Mia that life is important, even if it's an animal's life, and it could help her with coping skills in the future if she loses someone closer.
                                                                                                                        If she find's out you lied to her she may resent you Michelle. If I were you I would tell her that the vet has done all they could do and they said that it was the kindest way to take the dog's pain away. Let her chose if she wants to be there to comfort the him, if he dies alone or without Mia being there she may feel guilty about that or have nightmares that he was in pain and scared as he was dying. At least if you or her are with the dog at the end it might give her some comfort. Going forward maybe suggest doing something in remembrance, like planting a tree or something.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                                          Also had had Peruvian a peruvian dish called ceviche the same day. Unreal, all raw seafood that's been cured in lime juice + some spices.
                                                                                                                          Cerviche is delicious. Didn't realize it was Peruvian. I see it a lot of trendy menus.
                                                                                                                          Poke is the latest healthy fast food trend out here.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X