Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    do you really believe Google have a 'super secret' policy of hiring people not capable of doing their jobs just to look politically correct?
    Maybe not people who are not capable but they are definitely not hiring the "best" people to include more women and ethnicities, that's their business and I don't even necessarily disagree with it. There is simply NO way to have 20+% of developers as women otherwise, even with their higher attraction value.

Comment

Someone put the numbers between 0 and 5 in order would ya
      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

0 1 2 3 4 5

Comment

Here some info on what was brought up yesterday HJ:

Despite Pentagon claims that its systems would easily see off an attack, interceptor test results are less than comforting
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
            0 1 2 3 4 5
            I forgot the word random, but you still didn't do it right lol. Classic ipb
            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              It's all part of Europe's grand plan to get us to join Schengen by making it an even bigger pain in the hole to be flying in from a non-Schengen country.
              That would be class, and improve the utility of having a plane hugely. So many lovely little airports in France that have no customs at present.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                My comparison to climate change deniers continues to be cromulent. You're better than this, HJ.
                Backing up on argument via a a ither unsubstantiated one seems risky play.
                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                  They brought up 2 stairs to the front and back, nothing happens for like 2 minutes then an announcement that once we get off the flight there will be a passport control check. So literally the second we left the door there was a guy just looking at all of the passports, then we had the normal one a bit later too, they are checking every plane these days as well?
                  no more smuggling for me
                  That's quite strange. Was it the immigration guys or like customs? Never heard that happening
                  airport, lol

Comment

Article from Stanford med magazine saying there are significant differences between male and female brains. (And Stanford is one of those American campuses prob infected by the gender is all a social construct crowd,prob had to go into witness protection after thi)

In her preface to the first edition, Halpern wrote: “At the time, it seemed clear to me that any between-sex differences in thinking abilities were due to socialization practices, artifacts and mistakes in the research, and bias and prejudice. ... After reviewing a pile of journal articles that stood several feet high and numerous books and book chapters that dwarfed the stack of journal articles … I changed my mind.”

Comment

Sounds like bullshit^. Not like a woman to change her mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                        I'm not pretending to be an expert, but its hardly as cut and dried as you make out if the Guardian are publishing an article like that basically rubbishing the claims.
                        You're obviously not aware of this, but there has been a concerted effort by feminists to discredit the work of neuroscientists over the last few years. The Guardian have been at the forefront of this, giving platforms to ideologues such as Cordelia Fine. These so called researchers have been trying to muddy the waters of neuroscience in exactly the same way conservatives tried with climate change. Herself and various cohorts have published a bunch of papers and pop-science books in which they make a bunch of claims that are simply not supported by their evidence. Anyone criticising their conclusions gets called out as a misogynist. The pattern is disturbingly typical.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          I dunno, I dont really get this level of thinking.
                          I've had ample opportunities to head off for a weekend or go on the lash several days in a row and to be honest, I'd rather be at home changing nappies (while making up a song so she stays on the mat), crawling around, swimming and other such daddy things. Don't get me wrong, I love a few pints the odd night and love the moment of zen/peace when she goes to bed for the evening. Just think that shooting off for a week or so is a pretty shitty thing to do...
                          Interesting test ahead as herself is away for the weekend.
                          I'll probably drastically change my mind
                          This, 100%.

Heading off with the lads a week after a baby is born is cunty imo.
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

You're obviously not aware of this, but there has been a concerted effort by feminists to discredit the work of neuroscientists over the last few years. The Guardian have been at the forefront of this, giving platforms to ideologues such as Cordelia Fine. These so called researchers have been trying to muddy the waters of neuroscience in exactly the same way conservatives tried with climate change. Herself and various cohorts have published a bunch of papers and pop-science books in which they make a bunch of claims that are simply not supported by their evidence. Anyone criticising their conclusions gets called out as a misogynist. The pattern is disturbingly typical.
                            Guardian is a propaganda newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                              Do you have a link to the PZ Myers article?
                              Hes put together a few posts on it
                              The one I'm quoting with the questions Andy doesn't want to acknowledge
                              Have you read the manifesto published internally at Google, that has thrown many people into a tizzy? It’s amazingly stupid. Yet another blinkered male engineer babbling about his biases as i…

Commenting on the nutjobs that are rowing in behind him
                              James Damore, the author of that dumbass Google manifesto, has been fired. Now he wants to sue Google, and all the usual suspects are howling about “Free Speech!” It’s absurd. Thi…

Another today, I haven't read yet
                              I’ve been getting two kinds of arguments from the people who support the Google Manifesto creep. I keep getting told that James Damore loves diversity. It’s the first thing he says in h…

I think hes mostly quoting rebuttals including this very detailed response from a real scientist, an evolutionary biologist.

That said, the argument in the document is, overall, despicable trash.

TL;DR: Yes, men and women are biologically different — which doesn’t mean what the author thinks it does. The article perniciously misrepresents the nature and significance of known sex differences to advance what appears to be a covert alt-right agenda. More specifically, it:

argues for biologically determined sex differences in personality based on extremely weak evidence
                              completely fails to understand the current state of research on sex differences, which is based in neuroscience, epigenetics and developmental biology
                              argues that cognitive sex differences influence performance in software engineering, but presents no supporting evidence. Available evidence does not support the claim.
                              fails to acknowledge ways in which sex differences violate the narrative of female inferiority; this shows intellectual dishonesty
                              assumes effective meritocracy in its argument, ignoring both a mountain of conflicting scientific literature and its own caveats (which I can only assume were introduced to placate readers, since their incompatibility with the core thesis is never resolved)
                              makes repugnant attacks on compassion and empathy
                              distorts and misuses moral foundations theory for rhetorical purposes
                              contains hints of racism
                              paradoxically insists that authoritarianism be treated as a valid moral dimension, whilst firmly rejecting any diversity-motivated strategy that might remotely approach it.
                              ultimately advocates rejecting all morality insofar as it might compromise the interests of a group.
                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Funny to read all the baby convo, myself and Mrs Nugget welcomed baby no. 2 into the world this morning, a beautiful little girl this time. 9lbs 2oz and full of mischief already. Hypothermia due to a reaction to the spinal anaesthetic and a short trip to Intensive Care scared the fuck out of me but all good now.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                  Funny to read all the baby convo, myself and Mrs Nugget welcomed baby no. 2 into the world this morning, a beautiful little girl this time. 9lbs 2oz and full of mischief already. Hypothermia due to a reaction to the spinal anaesthetic and a short trip to Intensive Care scared the fuck out of me but all good now.
                                  congrats man
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Congrats man, great news
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

These so called researchers have been trying to muddy the waters of neuroscience in exactly the same way conservatives tried with climate change.
                                      LOL just LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                        Guardian is a propaganda newspaper.
                                        Nothing that sinister; it uses propaganda/agenda as click-bait to generate hits!

But ya, the opinion section of the guardian is best avoided where possible!

Comment

Its 2017 and IAAF / World Athletics still haven't come up with a better way of identifying competitors than a big sheet of paper held on with four safety pins !

Comment

Its 2017 and IAAF / World Athletics still haven't come up with a better way of identifying competitors than a big sheet of paper held on with four safety pins !
                                            Yeah and still using a running track Ted.

Great programme on the Brain on BbC 2last week. Male female brains are wired differently and the real hardwired difference kick s in the teenage years where the woman's pre baby multitasking cross wiring really begins. Also showed a test with male/female monkeys and toys . The chimp went as per gender to the gender specific toys. Was fascinating.

Don't shoot the messenger bitches .

Comment

LOL just LOL
                                              Do you have any interest in discussing this in good faith? Coz I've got better things to be doing.
                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Do you have any interest in discussing this in good faith? Coz I've got better things to be doing.
                                                Come on, that line is ridiculous...

But yeah, I'm waiting for anyone to point me at any quantifiable biological difference that makes white males better qualified to be Software Engineers than people of other races / genders.

Comment

LOL just LOL
                                                  Take a look at this. Here's Daphna Joel giving a TED talk in which she claims brain gender is a "mosaic":

Professor Daphna Joel explores the mistaken concept that brains can be either male or female, thus providing an explanation for why men and women are differe...

Here's a chart from her own paper showing the distribution of attributes grouped by sex [1]:

That sure looks like dimorphism to me!

Her conclusions are junk. She tries to reconcile her findings with her own personal dogma and completely fails, so makes up a whole new bullshit term to make it look like she hasn't just proved sexual dimorphism as it relates to neurology. This kind of thing has been happening all over neuroscience for the last few years, and the Guardian have lapped it up.

[1] http://www.pnas.org/content/112/50/15468.abstract

Comment

Take a look at this. Here's Daphna Joel giving a TED talk in which she claims brain gender is a "mosaic":

[1] http://www.pnas.org/content/112/50/15468.abstract
                                                    I'll have look at that tomorrow but I have little or no tolerance for theological arguments between pseudo scientists.

Much more interested in trying to get a handle on any empirical, measurable biological differences that could apply to SWE in google.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'll have look at that tomorrow but I have little or no tolerance for theological arguments between pseudo scientists.

Much more interested in trying to get a handle on any empirical, measurable biological differences that could apply to SWE in google.
                                                        The most obvious mechanism is in IQ. IQ tests are deliberately crafted so that the average male and average female IQ are both ~100. Test questions which show too strong a gender imbalance are removed from the test in order to improve the balance of the metric.

Here's the thing: average IQs are equal but the standard deviation for men is greater. Source: http://personal.lse.ac.uk/kanazawa/pdfs/PAID2011.pdf The difference is small, so at the 90-110 IQ samples the variation by gender is non-existent. But the further you drift into the outliers, the more evident this difference becomes:

By the time you're taking a sample of people with IQs of 130, men will constitute more than double that population than women. https://www.researchgate.net/profile...12b8000000.pdf

We also know that IQ is extremely heritable, so it's very difficutl to claim that social conditioning has any influence on this factor. Wikipedia will suffice for this as it's not really controversial at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

The general figure for the heritability of IQ, according to an authoritative American Psychological Association report, is 0.45 for children, and rises to around 0.75 for late teens and adults.[5][6] In simpler terms, IQ goes from being weakly correlated with genetics, for children, to being strongly correlated with genetics for late teens and adults. The heritability of IQ increases with age and reaches an asymptote at 18–20 years of age and continues at that level well into adulthood.[7] Recent studies suggest that family and parenting characteristics are not significant contributors to variation in IQ scores;[8] however, poor prenatal environment, malnutrition and disease can have deleterious effects.[9][10]
                                                        Given the rigorous recruitment standards that Google apply, it is very reasonable to assume that all their engineering staff have well above average IQs. This is more than enough evidence to suggest that biological factors have some influence on gender disparity at Google.

Comment

Seeing those scientific graphs from Andy is like when Sickpuppy talks about economics.

Comment

You're obsessed with iq tests.

Comment

I think I can see where the train wreck starts
                                                              IQ tests are deliberately crafted...
                                                              The assumption of straight correlation between IQ tests and being a good SWE is utter and complete nonsense.
                                                              It may well be a mistake the likes of google made for years but it is nonetheless a mistake.

Comment

You don't need to prove any difference in men and women to show google hiring with diversity in mind and why even still there is a disparity. They have a huge amount of applications from the best people in the world, 95% of the tech applications would be male and from sheer numbers alone the very top, enough to fill googles positions multiple times over would be mostly male. Yet they have far more women than the numbers would suggest. They still have a majority of men of course but the numbers are closer than they have a right to be due to the sheer lack of women in tech.

That IQ stuff is reaching so far you're giving SP a reacharound.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                  There's just no reason why men and women hired by Google would be importantly different in the workplace. Men and women are different in real life (not too different), but in the specific context it makes no sense. Competition, workplace roles, similar skills and backgrounds, will all trump the minor biological differences between men and women when it comes to work. Any remaining differences, which will be small, will likely be complimentary, as men and women evolved to be complimentary in nature.
                                                                  But this is what Damore literally says in his post. He explicitly states that he doesn't think any women at Google don't deserve to be there. They all have the neccessary talent and provide the neccessary perspectives etc etc. What he does say is that maybe just maybe the dispartiy in representation isn't completely caused by social factors. He goes on to say that even though there is strong evidence for this statement, in Google's current climate this is considered to be heresy. He was proven right on this point by the fact he was fired for saying it.

He then goes on to suggest that some of the methods Google are using to attempt to reach gender parity might perhaps maybe cause more harm than good, and perhaps the company needs to dial it back before this starts to hurt their bottom line. Given what we know about the incredibly weak correlation between scores on an implicit bias test and actual discrimination. Given the fact there's no evidence to suggest that diversity training as it currently practiced actually helps to improve diversity. Given the very weak evidence suggesting a causal relationship between improved diversity and improved company performance, there's really nothing controversial about his opinions at all.

Comment

Jebus could people not get back to discussing how bad the BBC coverage of the US PGA is?
                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Banter View Post
                                                                      You're obsessed with iq tests.
                                                                      They are an excellent measure of intelligence m8

Comment

me bollix
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                          Jebus could people not get back to discussing how bad the BBC coverage of the US PGA is?
                                                                          What's a PGA?

I'm going to assume Premenstrual Geebag Activity until I get 62 verified sources telling me otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                            Seeing those scientific graphs from Andy is like when Sickpuppy talks about economics.
                                                                            it's like when I talk about soccer

boy-child is going to be heartbroken when I cancel Sky Sports but feel it is a necessary step for the onward march of civilisation

Comment

Its shocking, the commentary is terrible they have no idea who the players are or their form

Comment

What they are really good for is predicting who is good at doing IQ tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                                                                  Its shocking, the commentary is terrible they have no idea who the players are or their form
                                                                                  I'm more annoyed that it's only on for about an hour a day on BBC2HD. I only get the red button stuff in sd.

Comment

I'm more annoyed that it's only on for about an hour a day on BBC2HD. I only get the red button stuff in sd.
                                                                                    stop pretending to care about golf; it ill bebooooooooooooooooooves you

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                      stop pretending to care about golf; it ill bebooooooooooooooooooves you
                                                                                      Oh I don't care about anything. Though I still get annoyed about everything. Thankfully, I'm not the pres of the USA, or Kim Jong Collie

Comment

it's like when I talk about soccer

boy-child is going to be heartbroken when I cancel Sky Sports but feel it is a necessary step for the onward march of civilisation
                                                                                        Never realised geebag is an anagram of abegge.

Comment

...
                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

^^ Yep that is true, especially in some fields. Case in point Enron who aggressively hired the best: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...he-talent-myth
                                                                                            One possibility is simply to hire and reward the smartest people. But the link between, say, I.Q. and job performance is distinctly underwhelming. On a scale where 0.1 or below means virtually no correlation and 0.7 or above implies a strong correlation (your height, for example, has a 0.7 correlation with your parents' height), the correlation between I.Q. and occupational success is between 0.2 and 0.3.

"What I.Q. doesn't pick up is effectiveness at common-sense sorts of things, especially working with people," Richard Wagner, a psychologist at Florida State University, says. "In terms of how we evaluate schooling, everything is about working by yourself. If you work with someone else, it's called cheating. Once you get out in the real world, everything you do involves working with other people."

Other things are just as important as raw intelligence, you can't work with people who are up their own hole and are babies.

What they are really good for is predicting who is good at doing IQ tests.
                                                                                            That's what dumb people say. #Trumped
                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 11-08-17, 00:26.

Comment

last call for the IPB FPL boys and girls. League starts tonight so cut-off is early evening. Get me monies so I can buy some expensive whiskey to drown the sorrow of United hoofball and failure you can compete and win the biggest IPB community prize out there.
                                                                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/0...445478/… NO SHIT! But all politicians have an instinct for lining their pockets. ALL OF EM! THANKS NAMA
                                                                                                DUP ministers 'out of their depth' over £1.25bn Nama loan sale
                                                                                                They are referring to this .
                                                                                                DUP first minister Peter Robinson 'beneficiary of £1bn deal'
                                                                                                ..https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ciary-1bn-deal

DUP leader was one of five people who were to benefit from National Asset Management Agency property sell-off

I wonder how many people in the REPUBLIC benefited from Nama sales. I would say it's quite a few.

£7m was set aside in an Isle of Man bank account for a Northern Ireland politician to aid the selloff.
                                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 11-08-17, 06:55.

Comment

This is not something I thought would ever happen in my life time.

People in Japan buying bombshelters in response to threat of war between USA and NK

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                                                    http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/0...-to-445478/… NO SHIT! But all politicians have an instinct for lining their pockets. ALL OF EM! THANKS NAMA

They are referring to this ...https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ciary-1bn-deal

DUP leader was one of five people who were to benefit from National Asset Management Agency property sell-off

I wonder how many people in the REPUBLIC benefited from Nama sales. I would say it's quite a few.
                                                                                                    Do you spend your time reading the news from 2 years ago?

Comment

Do you spend your time reading the news from 2 years ago?
                                                                                                      It was in the News today dear This is what they where talking about ...

This from July ..https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/...ehalf-1094203/

they were talking about a cross border inquiry today

Comment

And get off my back why are you so narky? And picking on me? hmm

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                          I'm waiting for a post about The Titanic.
                                                                                                          Guys why are you all such pricks to me? Is it cuz I am female ..or what?

Or just because i think for myself and you are secretly intimidated?

Comment

Hmm maybe you like the idea of rich white guys stealing our money....i however don't.

Comment

I find all ladiez intimidating myself.

Comment

I find all ladiez intimidating myself.
                                                                                                                You don't need to. I find you guys intimidating.

Comment

You guys know ....all the STUFF. And put the STUFF in the right linguistic order ....me imma like

SPLAT ...

Comment

Don't you know boys pull the pigtails of the girls they fancy.

You shouldn't have posted a picture of yourself. You look like Rose Dawson...hold me Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post

You shouldn't have posted a picture of yourself.
                                                                                                                      You bein jerks is not my fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                        cool the jets P&F, think you've unearthed 2 reasonably old stories (Max Silver, NAMA Backhanders) in the past few days and it does, as RDIII says, seem like you are reading an old set of newspapers. Tis all in jest, don't go ascribing any malice.
                                                                                                                        They aren't old ...they were in the news today.

Comment

Anyway I prop overreacted so sorry..but STILL

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X