Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 25-04-19, 10:30   #1021
Solksjaer!

Reading Leonard Cohen The Flame . Book of poems. Good one on Kayne West.

KANYE WEST IS NOT PICASSO

Kanye West is not Picasso
I am Picasso
Kanye West is not Edison
I am Edison
I am Tesla
Jay-Z is not the Dylan of anything
I am the Dylan of anything
I am the Kanye West of Kanye West
The Kanye West
Of the great bogus shift of bullshit culture
From one boutique to another
I am Tesla
I am his coil
The coil that made electricity soft as a bed
I am the Kanye West Kanye West thinks he is
When he shoves your ass off the stage
I am the real Kanye West
I donít get around much anymore
I never have
I only come alive after a war
And we have not had it yet
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 10:32   #1022
TM2204

Masters of Doom, the history of id software (Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake). Brilliant read if your a retro gamer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Doom

Last edited by TM2204; 25-04-19 at 10:35.
TM2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 10:46   #1023
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
I know Keane read "Your money or your life", has anyone else? Has anyone followed through with the admin?

I like the general idea of it, and I find that few people are conscious of their spending and most would gain a lot from reading it. I'd a friend who went through some major life changes, and what I found fascinating was that no matter what his income was he'd go through it in a week, with pretty much the same level of happiness. I think very few people really think about the utility of money, we're really not built to think that way.

I think the endgame in the book is a little idealistic, particularly in the current investing environment, there's no way you can live off bonds these days. I'd worry too if large swathes of people followed the advice, highly productive people drive the world forward, we don't want them checking out decades ahead of their time, at least wait until we've figured out fusion.
I haven't read it, I feel like I wouldn't need it but I'd like to read it and see. It sounds interesting to me. What is the admin?

A lot of people I know are like your friend, they spend what they have and they don't seem any happier if they have more. Speaking to a man recently that left London to live in the french countryside a decade ago, going from highly paid to quite a low wage, happier than he has ever been.
Old 25-04-19, 11:03   #1024
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
I know Keane read "Your money or your life", has anyone else? Has anyone followed through with the admin?

I like the general idea of it, and I find that few people are conscious of their spending and most would gain a lot from reading it. I'd a friend who went through some major life changes, and what I found fascinating was that no matter what his income was he'd go through it in a week, with pretty much the same level of happiness. I think very few people really think about the utility of money, we're really not built to think that way.

I think the endgame in the book is a little idealistic, particularly in the current investing environment, there's no way you can live off bonds these days. I'd worry too if large swathes of people followed the advice, highly productive people drive the world forward, we don't want them checking out decades ahead of their time, at least wait until we've figured out fusion.
I can't remember the nuts and bolts of it now, and I was already religiously using YNAB when I started it but remember thinking it would be a good process to follow if you didn't already have a system in place.

A lot of those books written a long time ago don't really stand up from the POV of their specific investment advice with the way interest rates, bond returns - even the wide availability of low cost index funds - the last ten years or so. I'm finally getting around to finishing Random Walk Down Wall Street and he still does a lot of harping on about bonds despite it being updated not that long ago.

The early retirement/financial independence stuff in YMOL is the quintessential tragedy of the commons - it's great advice as long as nearly no one follows it.
Keane is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 25-04-19, 13:14   #1025
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Ha, yeah that's true.

You use the website YNAB? I've never had budget or tracked spending. It's part of the reason I set up N26, thought it would be good to get a general idea.

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 13:26   #1026
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Ha, yeah that's true.

You use the website YNAB? I've never had budget or tracked spending. It's part of the reason I set up N26, thought it would be good to get a general idea.
No, I'm still using the old version before they went web-based. It's called YNAB 4 and is basically a spreadsheet with a nice GUI and an envelope budget system wrapped around it but I have found it utterly life-changing.

I went from several thousand in debt with no assets to a home-owner with six figures spread out over various investments in the space of around three & a half years and it was the the catalyst if not the driving force in that change.

I would see tracking spending as the financial equivalent to calorie counting. Even if you think you have a good handle on things you might not know what you don't know. From a spending POV I found the general mechanics behind the envelope system really got me on the straight and narrow at a time when I was very profligate. I found myself able to cut out a tonne of spending on stuff I didn't care about in the least and maintain my lifestyle (read - heavy drinking) while turning things around and starting to save heavily. For me it's been amazing but I might have been the poster-boy for the kind of people who needed that exact system too.

They changed some elements of both the philosophy and the mechanics when they went web-based (as well as charging a monthly fee) and I was happy with it the way it was so I never changed.
Old 25-04-19, 13:53   #1027
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
When I was out last week and I asked the girl why she got a receipt for our drinks, she whipped out her budgeting app and was showing me pie charts of her spending, there were notes and details upon further clicks. Fell a bit in love.

I've had a bank account since I was four. I started saving in it every week in primary school. I used to write down every single thing that went in there every week, in a math notebook that I had specially lined with different columns. Expected interest projections, goals and everything. I did it for years.
These days when i get paid I literally just transfer savings to another account and spend the rest as sundry (rent and estimated bills into another account). Most of the time I still have money left from that when the next month rolls around and it gets shunted too. If not that's fine, all has been estimated. I know how much money I will have at the end of a year, from the beginning of it, generally.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-04-19 at 13:59.
Tar.Aldarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-19, 23:10   #1028
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Started using Wallet as a result of this. It's fairly class as, unlike YNAB, it connects directly to your bank account and downloads and classifies all transactions - with a bit of help initially from you and by machine learning afterwards. All European banks work with them including Irish banks (it's a recent EU regulation that requires banks to allow you to share the info).
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 26-04-19, 05:59   #1029
Murdrum

I need a dose of all of the above. I have substantial outgoings with our house, car expenses and a student loan but I could certainly do with some additional monitoring. Followed Hitch with buying Wallet.

BTW I am Pilgrim, what a great read, I'm not the fastest reader by any means but I'm devouring this, thoroughly enjoying it so far, great recommendation from the thread.

The only primary expense I can envisage being able to cut out is the toll but it then becomes a question of the value of additional time.

Last edited by Murdrum; 26-04-19 at 06:13.
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-19, 06:13   #1030
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Started using Wallet as a result of this. It's fairly class as, unlike YNAB, it connects directly to your bank account and downloads and classifies all transactions - with a bit of help initially from you and by machine learning afterwards. All European banks work with them including Irish banks (it's a recent EU regulation that requires banks to allow you to share the info).
You don't have privacy concerns?

Old 26-04-19, 08:38   #1031
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
You don't have privacy concerns?
Not really tbh. As in I'd say the info I'm already sharing via Gmail is already vastly more intrusive. It's an EU scheme too, so think the data is in some way protected as to how it can be used.
Old 26-04-19, 09:16   #1032
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Quote:
Ironically auto-import of transactions was one of the things I didn't like about new YNAB.

Manually inputting and categorising my spending was a big part of learning to own my peasant habits at the start. Now it's something that's totally routine and I do it automatically. Mileage may vary on that one though, I know from reading online other people could never get into a system that didn't have auto-import.
Old 26-04-19, 09:35   #1033
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Tried YNAB first and seemed to only have US banks? For non-US banks you needed to download statements and upload them which seems far too complicated. I take your point though - its about the ritual as much as anything.
Old 26-04-19, 18:46   #1034
PSV58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
No, I'm still using the old version before they went web-based. It's called YNAB 4 and is basically a spreadsheet with a nice GUI and an envelope budget system wrapped around it but I have found it utterly life-changing.

I went from several thousand in debt with no assets to a home-owner with six figures spread out over various investments in the space of around three & a half years and it was the the catalyst if not the driving force in that change.

I would see tracking spending as the financial equivalent to calorie counting. Even if you think you have a good handle on things you might not know what you don't know. From a spending POV I found the general mechanics behind the envelope system really got me on the straight and narrow at a time when I was very profligate. I found myself able to cut out a tonne of spending on stuff I didn't care about in the least and maintain my lifestyle (read - heavy drinking) while turning things around and starting to save heavily. For me it's been amazing but I might have been the poster-boy for the kind of people who needed that exact system too.

They changed some elements of both the philosophy and the mechanics when they went web-based (as well as charging a monthly fee) and I was happy with it the way it was so I never changed.
would be interested in seeing hearing about the crazy stuff you cut out/ bew good habits brought in
PSV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-19, 18:48   #1035
PSV58

Quote:
That looks good but would you not need to be using card for everything to get the full benefit. Very tempting tbh but privacy wise Iíd be iffy on it
PSV58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-19, 13:02   #1036
Murdrum

Overheard a lady on my flight home mention an AI book by Irish Author Mark O'Connell "To be a Machine"

Apparently a more anecdotal look at transhumanism
Old 27-04-19, 17:00   #1037
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSV58 View Post
That looks good but would you not need to be using card for everything to get the full benefit. Very tempting tbh but privacy wise I’d be iffy on it
think everything I spend is on the card anyway

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 28-04-19 at 19:25.
Old 28-04-19, 19:26   #1038
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

A convincing review of Brett Easton Ellis new book. Read another review (mentioned in this one) last week that made it sound awful.
Old 30-04-19, 20:08   #1039
Murdrum

Ben Mezrich with a new book out Bitcoin Billionaires

Excerpt from the book, I knew the Winklevoss's were involved but not to the degree that they were
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...mpression=true
Old 30-04-19, 20:29   #1040
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Has anyone listened to the fs.blog book on Audible? I've never listened to an audiobook, and it seems like a book that you'd really want in a hard copy, but the kindle version isn't even out until Oct.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games