Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    About five days in a row of getting into bed with eight hours sleep on the agenda. Amazing (or maybe not) how much extra energy it gives you during the day.

I know zuut insists on his minimum 9 hours of sleep a night, but would anyone habitually get by on a lot less sleep? Find the usual six hours to be an absolute killer by about day 3 in a week.
    Reading another depressing book about sleep. It seems for optimal health and well being we should be sleeping and eating at a strict schedule, with no late night alcohol. It's great to have the blueprint but who can keep to that? GG if you've children, and gg if you want to keep any semblance of a social life.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
      Between working night shifts and playing poker, i've been a 0-4 hours of sleep person for about 10 years. In the past year, it's stretched to 4-5 every night, but a little less if i play a session and go deep. I get a midday slump if i do <4 hours sleep like i used to, but 5 does the job now.

I'll head to bed between 12-2 most nights and watch something if i'm not tired, and then up at 6-6.20 every morning. Weekends vary, but a similar amount of sleep. Not ideal in any way, but a longer sleep time usually results in a broken sleep or restlessness.
      That sounds very unhealthy, likely there will be a price to be paid physically and mentally.
      I used to be close to that level but happily I'm fairly steady now getting 7 - 8 most nights and very much better for it.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        That sounds very unhealthy, likely there will be a price to be paid physically and mentally.
        I used to be close to that level but happily I'm fairly steady now getting 7 - 8 most nights and very much better for it.
        Yep, not doubting that at all SP. I'm going to try to stretch it out over this year too. I'm not fighting sleep as much as i used to, and as soon as i feel tired, i'll go with the flow. My body has adjusted to it, and it's not easy to adjust back but i've been working on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
          Between working night shifts and playing poker, i've been a 0-4 hours of sleep person for about 10 years. In the past year, it's stretched to 4-5 every night, but a little less if i play a session and go deep. I get a midday slump if i do <4 hours sleep like i used to, but 5 does the job now.

I'll head to bed between 12-2 most nights and watch something if i'm not tired, and then up at 6-6.20 every morning. Weekends vary, but a similar amount of sleep. Not ideal in any way, but a longer sleep time usually results in a broken sleep or restlessness.
          I was pretty much as you describe, similar schedule/lifestyle, restlessness when i tried to sleep for longer, it took me a few months to adjust (Aug 2016-Jan 2017) but 100% worth it.
          That said no matter what i tried I couldn't fix it when I was on nights, I think that's just an almost insurmountable obstacle.

Comment

About five days in a row of getting into bed with eight hours sleep on the agenda. Amazing (or maybe not) how much extra energy it gives you during the day.

I know zuut insists on his minimum 9 hours of sleep a night, but would anyone habitually get by on a lot less sleep? Find the usual six hours to be an absolute killer by about day 3 in a week.
            6 max a night usually less and one crash night a week when I get about 9 or 10
            crash night usually involves falling asleep when putting deadpigeon to bed in our bed and waking up several hours later to put her in her own bed

I went by that napoleon slogan for years
            6 for a man, 7 for a woman and 8 for a fool.
            However, I reckon I should probably change it up soon.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

My sleep patterns were shocking up until 10 yrs ago, got into a good routine on Holidays with Sunrise waking me at similar times every day for 2 weeks. Carried that on with one of those wakeup lights when I got home and It honestly changed my life for the better. Have no screens in my bedroom at all, Philips hue lights and Google Home Speaker only gadgets I have allowed. Theres a different dynamic altogether when the day starts off waking gradually, the lights ramp up slowly and room is bright at 6.50am.
              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Congrats to the Kayroos, was it a girl? not sure on reading the post.

Comment

Speaking of newborns, my friends asked me to be Godfather to their little girl and the christening is next month. What should I be like at present wise? Money? Voucher? Gift?

Any experience here? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                    Reading another depressing book about sleep. It seems for optimal health and well being we should be sleeping and eating at a strict schedule, with no late night alcohol. It's great to have the blueprint but who can keep to that? GG if you've children, and gg if you want to keep any semblance of a social life.
                    Loved in why we sleep how the author said he would advice his students to drink in the morning. It was amazing how much it and sleep affected our memory/learning adversely up to three days later.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                      Speaking of newborns, my friends asked me to be Godfather to their little girl and the christening is next month. What should I be like at present wise? Money? Voucher? Gift?

Any experience here? Cheers
                      I go with prize bonds or similar investment annually until they are going to college and books for birthdays every year.
                      The important thing, IMO, is to keep in touch and be available for them later in the teens and onwards.

Comment

I never noticed that your stars turn into medals when you break 20k posts. Annoyed now, will have to start spamming.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          I never noticed that your stars turn into medals when you break 20k posts. Annoyed now, will have to start spamming.
                          When you get close I'm gonna start deleting your early posts at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                            Hitch should get through 30K posts early next year, looking forward to seeing what 5starpool has designed for that landmark.

Comment

When you get close I'm gonna start deleting your early posts at night.
                              That will probably be to everyone's benefit

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                Nice no work if you can get it
                                44k for 5 people in Dublin?
                                I can't imagine that's a picnic.
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Amy Natasha Botten, 20, pleaded with the driver to help her as "her son was crying upstairs alone".

A pregnant mother had to carry more than £200 of shopping up two flights of stairs after her Asda delivery driver refused to help, she claims.

Amy Natasha Botten, 20, who is 20 weeks pregnant with her second child, shared a video online of the food delivery.

Ms Botten can be heard pleading with the driver for help as "her son was crying upstairs alone" at the flat in Feltham, west London.

Asda said it "got it wrong on this occasion and that it was truly sorry".

In terms and conditions of delivery on its website, the firm says that unless there are particular circumstances their drivers should offer to take the shopping "into your home".
                                  Posting on Facebook, Ms Botten said: "This shouldn't be happening to anyone, putting aside bad health, lonely and elderly, disabled, pregnant.

"It should not be happening. It's called home delivery.

"I just had to carry £200 monthly shop up two flights of stairs alone, pregnant with pelvic problems. No choice but to leave my son on his own crying."

In the video clip, she asks the driver: "Can you not help me with this last little bit because my little boy is up there crying his eyes out?"

He responds: "I'd rather not."
                                  She then says: "You'd rather not? But this is your job."

As an apology, the Feltham Asda store gave a bottle of champagne and flowers to Ms Botten.

"We always try to offer our customers great service but clearly we got it wrong on this occasion and we are truly sorry", an Asda spokesperson said.

"This goes against our home shopping policies and we have offered our full apology to Ms Botten and are in contact with her to try and make amends."
                                  whats wrong with this story

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                    Champagne obv for the husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                      Roll up, Roll up..

Not taking it unless I get half an acre and two stables.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                        Congrats to the Kayroos, was it a girl? not sure on reading the post.
                                        Little boy. A fine young man of the highest character...
                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Roll up, Roll up..

I think the €4,300 should say €4,200?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                            Champagne obv for the husband.
                                            20 years old, 20 weeks pregnant - with 2nd child.

Very symmetrical.
                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                              Little boy. A fine young man of the highest character...
                                              I look forward to him declaiming erudite speeches to his creche compatriots.

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                I look forward to him declaiming erudite speeches to his creche compatriots.

Congrats
                                                Kayroo won't recognize the kids ability to speak until the sentence is grammatically correct

Comment

The 1st child in history to be born with Ellipsisy.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                    Kayroo won't recognize the kids ability to speak until the sentence is grammatically correct
                                                    FYP
                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

American syntax.

The sleep deprivation is kicking in.

Comment

Hitch and/or Other Parisian walkabouters. I’m heading over on Friday with a few work colleagues. A few of them are heading off to the Motor Show (zzzzzz) . I’ve already set my mind on the reality room. (thanks for that) Any other novel suggestions for things to do in Paris other than the usual touristy stuff. I’m there Fri-Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                          Hitch and/or Other Parisian walkabouters. I’m heading over on Friday with a few work colleagues. A few of them are heading off to the Motor Show (zzzzzz) . I’ve already set my mind on the reality room. (thanks for that) Any other novel suggestions for things to do in Paris other than the usual touristy stuff. I’m there Fri-Sunday
                                                          There's probably one of the most incredible exhibitions of picasso ever put together at the musée d'Orsay at the moment. Haven't seen it but I've been told it's pretty special.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                            I'm pretty insistent on getting 8 hours a night after working nights in BF & playing poker regularly with irregular sleep and realising how poor my health was relative to how I was in NZ. It took me such a long time to re-adjust to eating, training, sleeping & general mood..
                                                            I loved the kiwi way of life, took a while to get used to "kiwi bedtime" though, nothing on tv after 9pm, everyone in bed around then and up at 6am, part of the reason why we will be moving back hopefully

Comment

When I was there Banksy had just been through the day before and put up his pieces all over the city, we travelled around looking at them. was a nice way to spend a few hours and see different neighbourhoods.

Comment

A cycle tour around Paris is great fun.
                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                  A cycle tour around Paris is great fun.
                                                                  Irish Life are some bunch to deal with, have literally been trying to hand them money for about two months now, never had so much trouble trying to give someone business

It's currently been "actioned" hopefully goes through some day soon.

Comment

Irish Life are some bunch to deal with, have literally been trying to hand them money for about two months now, never had so much trouble trying to give someone business

It's currently been "actioned" hopefully goes through some day soon.
                                                                    How do you think Joe Broker justifies his existence? It’s basically an oligopoly and they all have shit service.
                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Must do the maths on when it makes sense to go the self admin scheme route.

(Sorry for talking about this again Lazare )

Comment

Must do the maths on when it makes sense to go the self admin scheme route.

(Sorry for talking about this again Lazare )
                                                                        At least 200k in my view. Cheapest option is going to cost 2.5kpa. Plus the management fees on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          Fair play Iago, that sounds like a great move. I want to visit it now.

I'm over right now visiting my parents. They live near Murcia, renting a place in a golf resort. It's nice and all, very secure, picturesque etc, but it's pretty much all ex pat British and Irish people. I keep trying to persuade them to immerse themselves more in Spanish culture and move somewhere else. Valencia sounds ideal.

They won't do it, they're happy though.

Whereabouts are they mate? We're near Torrevieja.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                                                            Looked at Torrevieja, beautiful duplex penthouse with a seaview for €95k

In the end the lure of the city won out for us.

Bit nervous about the language thing, but I guess we’ll have to pick it up. Probably won’t starve either way
                                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

News story there that 1/3 of u25s in the UK don't drink. Seems a fairly general trend elsewhere too.
                                                                              It is quite noticeable from the people around me that the number of people going out is tapering off year by year. Younger people are just in the gym now getting ready for instagram or sitting on the couch watching netflix?

The Chancery will be out of business in 5-10yrs at this rate.

Comment

The Chancery will be out of business in 5-10yrs at this rate.
                                                                                Last time I was there at 8am everyone looked like they had slept? A disgrace.
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

...
                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Post of the day right there
                                                                                    Jimmy Tarbuck is smiling down on me. (is he dead?)

Comment

Jimmy Tarbuck is smiling down on me. (is he dead?)
                                                                                      According to google he is alive and kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                        According to google he is alive and kicking.
                                                                                        He meant Frank Carson so.

Or maybe even....

Comment

that's cos the youth are all off their head on coke. no need for drink.
                                                                                          I intend developing a serious drug habit at some stage, feel like I missed out.

Judging by the amount of out of their heads skangers around town this afternoon, it must be great.

Comment

Jones Vs Gustafson 2 announced for UFC 232, am excite

Comment

American Airlines having a big sale, direct flights dallas to paris/frankfurt jan through march for $400 round trip, loads of other routes cheap as well

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                American Airlines having a big sale, direct flights dallas to paris/frankfurt jan through march for $400 round trip, loads of other routes cheap as well
                                                                                                Excellent timing.. The visa for my Dallas move has just been approved.

Comment

...
                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Is that really a thing? Thought that had died off ages ago in terms of popularity.
                                                                                                    we're back baby

Cocaine abuse is back at boom-time levels, a leading drug addiction expert has said.

Prof Colin O’Gara, consultant psychiatrist and head of addiction services at Saint John of God Hospital, said the numbers being treated for cocaine addiction were at 2007 levels.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                      How do you think Joe Broker justifies his existence? It’s basically an oligopoly and they all have shit service.
                                                                                                      Actually worked out alright, I'm getting a discount, hopefully takes them a couple more days to sort it out

Comment

Today, Billy Joe MacAllister was blown off the Tallahassee Bridge.

Comment

Enjoying Maniac its great craic altogether

4 McMurphy's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                            Looked at Torrevieja, beautiful duplex penthouse with a seaview for €95k

In the end the lure of the city won out for us.

Bit nervous about the language thing, but I guess we’ll have to pick it up. Probably won’t starve either way

Yeah, prices are grand in this area. I'm about 8km south of Torrevieja, I wouldn't live there, it's a bit of a shithole tbh.

Valencia is a beautiful city but I'm just not a city person so I couldn't see myself living there.

The language will come, mostly it will be Castellano (Spanish), they speak Valenciano too but most people speak Spanish unless you run into some snobs or particularly cuntish civil servants. Learn Spanish, that's all you will really need. My daughter does both in school because we are in the Valencian autonomous region so it's a requirement in school. They are taught in Castellano and Valenciano is a subject, much like the way they teach Irish in Ireland. (As an afterthought but you need it if you want to work in the civil service and certain other careers).

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                                                                                              They're just outside a town called Sucina.
                                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Think from the makers of money heist.. This is fucking excellent. I really want to go to sleep but glued

Elite
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

The time lapse satellite images at 50 seconds in this

New footage shows people running away as a devastating tsunami struck Indonesia's coastal city of Palu. About 5,000 people are still missing or feared dead. ...

Comment

Today, Billy Joe MacAllister was blown off the Tallahassee Bridge.
                                                                                                                    Needs moar Bobby Gentry

Bobbie Gentry performs 'Ode To Billie Joe' live on the BBC in 1968.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                                                                                                      Excellent timing.. The visa for my Dallas move has just been approved.
                                                                                                                      Just you or the whole family going ? Did you say it was just a temporary move ?
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                        They're just outside a town called Sucina.
                                                                                                                        I see they have their own little Calvary in Sucina, if you jog around it saying the rosary your legs will miraculously heal in time for Dublin

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                          Enjoying Maniac its great craic altogether

4 McMurphy's crazy
                                                                                                                          Paul Theroux is the lead actor's uncle.

I just put down his latest opus. Still nailing the world, aged 77.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X