Is this a call or raise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a call or raise?

Player A bets 1300. Player B puts out 2x 1000 chips. They say nothing. Is this a call or raise?

SPOILER
    I'm pretty certain it's a call, but others are adamant it's a raise

Call.

Comment

if its after the flop its a call, but pre flop cud b raise depending on size of blinds

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
        Player A bets 1300. Player B puts out 2x 1000 chips. They say nothing. Is this a call or raise?

SPOILER
        I'm pretty certain it's a call, but others are adamant it's a raise
        I would ask the player as to what his intention was, if he said he mean to raise I would make it a min raise if I said he just meant to call I would leave it at that.
        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Call, his own fault if it was meant as a raise. Defo call now

Comment

100% call
            http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
            http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

I'd say its call

However as mentioned, if the blinds were say 300/600, raise by 700 to 1300, its now rasied by 700 to 2000. This is also dependant on the house rules for a min bet

Comment

It depends is the answer.

The rules differ from place to place, alot of the live events in Ireland at the moment use the EPT minraise rule. Under this rule if the blinds were 300/600 and UTG makes it 1300 and UTG+1 through out 2000 then it is a raise, no questions, no arguement. It would of been the organisers responsibility to make that clear before the tournament.

Under the EPT minraise rule you can raise by the same difference as the last person so--
                The difference in amount of chips between the BB (600) and raise (1300) is obviously 700 which allows the next person to make it 700 more (700+1300) , 2K.

Thats the only situation it is a stonewall raise, every other scenario would be up to TD or a dealer with a bit of common sense

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  I'd say its call

However as mentioned, if the blinds were say 300/600, raise by 700 to 1300, its now rasied by 700 to 2000. This is also dependant on the house rules for a min bet
                  i was bit late

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I should have said in the OP that player A bet out the flop, there was no bet before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                      It depends is the answer.

The rules differ from place to place, alot of the live events in Ireland at the moment use the EPT minraise rule. Under this rule if the blinds were 300/600 and UTG makes it 1300 and UTG+1 through out 2000 then it is a raise, no questions, no arguement. It would of been the organisers responsibility to make that clear before the tournament.
                      It'd be a sick raise

The bolded part I would find worrying in that instance the player would have to announce call/raise to be clear?? I would have thought throwing out 2 x 1k chips would seem a call unless otherwise announced (under those rules)

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                        It'd be a sick raise

The bolded part I would find worrying in that instance the player would have to announce call/raise to be clear?? I would have thought throwing out 2 x 1k chips would seem a call unless otherwise announced (under those rules)
                        kind of regret saying stone wall but i think technically it would be a raise

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                          kind of regret saying stone wall but i think technically it would be a raise
                          I will bow to your greater knowledge in this instance sir

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                            It'd be a sick raise

It's a grey area, but normally multiple chips is the deciding factor.
                            Which is obviously not perfect as a single chip wasn't enough here.
                            Personally I like danny's "ask the player" suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              It's a grey area, but normally multiple chips is the deciding factor.
                              Which is obviously not perfect as a single chip wasn't enough here.
                              Personally I like danny's "ask the player" suggestion
                              Pretty sure the single chip rule was modified slightly within the last few years for this type of situation to say that you needed to put at least 1 additional chip over the amount required to call so this is 100% a call but if he had put in a 1k + 2 x 500 chips it would have to be a min raise

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was player B in this situation and I didn't even think about it being classed as a raise until after the hand another player at the table said "that could have been ruled as a raise you know". I said not a chance. Anyway the dealer agreed it was technically a raise, and the manager/TD also agreed. I was a bit surprised, lol'd and facepalmed a bit and then put up this thread on the phone a short while later just to see.

Like I said I was 99% sure it was a call but just wanted clarification. Thanks.
                                Last edited by NewApproach; 14-04-11, 18:00.

Comment

The rule being modified means nothing as there is no official set of rules

Comment

Working...
                                  X