Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2018
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 28-01-18, 20:13   #581
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

There's a 'Read Mode' function on the oneplus5 that is excellent for the kindle app. Creates a paperwhite style screen. Very easy on the eyes.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-18, 20:16   #582
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Tempted by two new fantasy series. The Gentlemen Bastard one of Scott Lynch, and The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Both seem to have phenomenal ratings (The first in Kingkiller Chronicles - The Name of the Wind is ranked 4.55/5 from half a million ratings on goodreads!).

Has anyone read any of those series and have a recommendation as to which to try first?
Old 28-01-18, 20:58   #583
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
The first bastards book is great but gave up the second one. Both Rothfuss books are very good but we may never see the third.
Old 28-01-18, 21:53   #584
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

heh, was searching for the third one, as wife only likes to read completed series, and the wait seems to have created a lot of irate fans!
Old 29-01-18, 14:42   #585
DeadParrot
Grand High Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel View Post
i've a Kobo Glo personally. great piece of kit and epub rather than mobi
Calibre plus my predilection for life on the high seas means the format is never really an issue
get 20 towards accessories or discount one your phone on @ oneplus.net. We all win
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 21:36   #586
davepoke/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
Tempted by two new fantasy series. The Gentlemen Bastard one of Scott Lynch, and The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Both seem to have phenomenal ratings (The first in Kingkiller Chronicles - The Name of the Wind is ranked 4.55/5 from half a million ratings on goodreads!).

Has anyone read any of those series and have a recommendation as to which to try first?
The first bastards book is amazing. King killer is great. Check out the first book in The Ravens Shadow trilogy called Bloodsong too
davepoke/her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-18, 15:09   #587
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Currently spellbound by the audio version of 'A Man on the Moon' by Andy Chaikin.
Old 01-02-18, 11:18   #588
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
Currently spellbound by the audio version of 'A Man on the Moon' by Andy Chaikin.
I'm going to get on board with the audiobooks from next week. I'm moving home and the train from Kildare to Heuston rarely has seats in the morning so I'll try it for that journey.

https://www.fs.blog/2016/09/pedro-do...-intelligence/

I listened to this last night from the author of The Master Algorithm, might be of interest to some here, I think I'll listen again once I read the book.
I'm not a huge fan of the host but he gets some good guests, Tetlock, Zweig and a few others.
brady23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 11:21   #589
Denny Crane
Undefeated

The Master Algorithm covered the best material of any ML book I've read so far, but he's all over the place, if he'd had a good editor it'd have been a way better book.

^ didn't realise that was the fs blog, his interview with Dalio is meant to be good

Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-02-18 at 11:39.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 11:42   #590
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

yeah, absolutely all over the place. Also got the impression it would have been more readible as a paper book than a kindle due to the need to go back and forth (e.g. to that pie chart he did summarising all the methods and when to use them).
Thanks From:
Old 01-02-18, 11:54   #591
brady23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
The Master Algorithm covered the best material of any ML book I've read so far, but he's all over the place, if he'd had a good editor it'd have been a way better book.

^ didn't realise that was the fs blog, his interview with Dalio is meant to be good
I found it because he had Naval Ravikant on it who I thought after listening to that Hashpower podcast was excellent.

I listened to the Ryan Holiday one last night too. He's pretty interesting and has some good insights, I'm reading his Daily Stoic book at the minute.
Basically a stoic quote a day and he explains it. I actually didn't know that was the format and I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had known but it's something different.
Old 03-02-18, 15:58   #592
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Take farming for instance, there's been massive strides made in farm efficiency, new tractors now have a wealth of sensors that can adjust sowing and spraying for each tiny part of a field. The only thing is the likes of John Deere sell this as a service, so accrue a significant portion of the gains.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...inian-firmware

Thanks From:
Old 05-02-18, 07:12   #593
brady23

A couple of purchases over the weekend:

Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life and John Stuart Mills Subjection of Women. Both IPB inspired.

Half way through "Why we sleep" and as Denny said it is a bit scary. I also overheard someone else say the same last week.
I knew the poker and night shifts as well as coffee were bad for you but this definitely drives home those suspicions.
Old 06-02-18, 01:47   #594
Denny Crane
Undefeated

I think I've had about ten people buy that book, wish I was getting royalties.

Old 11-02-18, 14:29   #595
brady23

I bought The Gene a few weeks ago after reading a few reviews but I haven't read it yet. I noticed its only 99p on Amazon today for anyone interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...d_i=5400977031
Thanks From:
Old 20-02-18, 14:12   #596
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Started reading the follow up to Senlin Ascends last week on a whim and enjoying it even more than the first one, a very fun read.

Keeping up on the audiobooks I listened to The Prince by Machiavelli last week which is an interesting short piece. It's a much more sympathetic read than its reputation would suggest, the guy talks sense.

Started listening to Catch-22 this week. I had made the same start several years ago but for whatever reason didn't get into it and never finished it. This time around I'm guffawing constantly - it's absolutely hilarious.
Old 20-02-18, 16:37   #597
brady23

If any of you are around Trinners tomorrow they have a book sale on. They're re-stocking each day. The place was busy today but it was worth it, picked up a few slightly older books for a fraction of the cost.

I got this in hardback for 3e so probably worth a look for anyone around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Against-God...40_&dpSrc=srch

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games