Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 1/3s of those firearm deaths are actually homicide. It'd be like worrying about getting eaten by a shark if you're a tourist.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      12 people per 100k die due to motor vehicles in the US, would you take a road warning from Amnesty seriously?
      I take travel warnings about traffic very seriously especially when I go any of the dozen places I travel to where the number is way up over 30 per 100K.
      Gun deaths in those places though high don't even come close to the US but there are still travel advisories regarding them.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ah but Boda Bodas are fun

Comment

Its a pity that taking a stand against gun violence is viewed as political. I applaud Amnesty. The car crash comparison was weak.

Comment

12 people per 100k die due to motor vehicles in the US, would you take a road warning from Amnesty seriously?
            DeGrasse Tyson got -imo rightly- slated for issuing this tweet with a similar sentiment:

Although I agree Amnestys tweet was politically driven and the data certainly shows that one shouldn't be any more fearful of dying from an active shooter than via car crash, I don't think highlighting the proportion of deaths via other means is really a worthwhile lesson in statistics.

Comment

About 1/3s of those firearm deaths are actually homicide. It'd be like worrying about getting eaten by a shark if you're a tourist.
              I recently had a good dig into this during an online discussion with a yank gun nut.

the figures state to state are pretty damning
              MA has the toughest gun laws in the country and subsequently the lowest rate of gun violence.
              Massachusetts had 3.7 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2017. In comparison, New Hampshire’s gun death rate was 10.5 per 100,000 people, and the top three worst states for gun deaths in the country — Alaska, Alabama, and Louisiana, all of which have loose gun laws — each had more than 21 gun deaths per 100,000 people.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                With coke you just love yourself, with ecstasy you love everyone.
                I've never done coke, been offered dozens of times but it seems to turn people into absolute bellends
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                  DeGrasse Tyson got -imo rightly- slated for issuing this tweet with a similar sentiment:

Although I agree Amnestys tweet was politically driven and the data certainly shows that one shouldn't be any more fearful of dying from an active shooter than via car crash, I don't think highlighting the proportion of deaths via other means is really a worthwhile lesson in statistics.
                  That is a ridiculously stupid tweet.

I dont see anyone suggesting that the answer to medical errors is MORE errors.
                  and for some over the top hyperbole
                  It's horrible that 8 million folks were murdered during the holocaust, but 21 million died of the Spanish flu so, ya know...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Ah but Boda Bodas are fun
                    Indeed, I may take the warnings seriously but only in as far as having some idea of the risks I'm taking.

Originally posted by Solksjaer!
                    The car crash comparison was weak.
                    Not at all, travel advisories cover all sorts of heightened risks and car travel is usually the riskiest and least thought about one.

Even when you look at a top line figure of 33 road deaths per 100k population for Tanzania that might not seem overly shocking compared to our 4 but when you look at it per 100K vehicles we are at 7 they are at 1100 (Rwanda is at 3500 )

A travel advisory making people aware of the extent of gun violence and the heightened risk to non european looking people is anything is just common sense the same as a travel advisory for traffic or malaria in Africa.

Comment

Speaking of Malaria, I see mefloquine is in the news again with that young woman in Madagascar jumping out of the plane. That shits nuts. I didn’t go whacko but I do remember having the most intensely vivid dreams when taking it. So much so I stopped as I was borderline sleep paralysis/ or dreaming about sleep paralysis (is there a diff?) one night.

Given the cocktail of alcohol, drugs and lack of sleep at that time in my life it may have not been the anti malarials I guess.

Walks duck. Talks ducks. Duck Id say.
                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Got a weird email this morning from the UN Refugee Agency wishing me a happy Eid Adha Mubarak. Had to Google it. They obviously have me pegged as a Muslim due to supporting the Rohingya in Burma.

It celebrates the story of Abraham being willing to sacrifice his son as obedience to God.
                        Let's have Caravaggio's painting of it:

SPOILER

I always like Tommy Tiernan's punchline at the end of his bit about this "Don't tell your mother!"

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          I imagine it's the same concept as this only instead of the light moving your head is
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1C0c0aTisM
                          Not sure it's the same thing Denny was describing. Techmoan did this more informative video on a more affordable version

An eye-catching display that looks like something out of Blade Runner. Affiliated ebay links below The seller I used is out of stock - the links below will l...
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Its a fact that more than 12 people per 100K die by guns in the US putting it in the top ten in the world with only Jamaica above it being in any sense a tourist destination
                            For gun deaths (including related suicide) it’s in the top 10.
                            Gun related homicide, it’s high. However, i’d have a strong suspicion that it’s further down the list. Using suicide deaths in relation to travellers is a little misleading.
                            And I’m not in any way minimising the issue of gun violence. But how are gun deaths any more statistically relevant than other deaths?
                            The relevant statistic is surely homicide rate. America is 5/100k. Ethiopia is 30/100k. You have to feel that relatively low instances of gun related deaths in Ethiopia is not down to being against firearms, but simply an issue of access.

As Liam Neason once said, “Bullets don’t grow in trees lads. Go easy on the riddling”

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                              Got a weird email this morning from the UN Refugee Agency wishing me a happy Eid Adha Mubarak. Had to Google it. They obviously have me pegged as a Muslim due to supporting the Rohingya in Burma.

It celebrates the story of Abraham being willing to sacrifice his son as obedience to God.
                              Let's have Caravaggio's painting of it:

SPOILER

I always like Tommy Tiernan's punchline at the end of his bit about this "Don't tell your mother!"
                              A huge amount of families, certainly most of them in rural areas across the Middle East will slaughter their own sheep or goat and cook it this weekend.

Abraham appears to be a real historical bronze age figure and this is undoubtedly a seminal moment in human history where we move from capricious, vengeful gods demanding human sacrifice to a more benevolent patriarch who prefers a symbolic sacrifice.

Comment

I recently had a good dig into this during an online discussion with a yank gun nut.

the figures state to state are pretty damning
                                MA has the toughest gun laws in the country and subsequently the lowest rate of gun violence.
                                Massachusetts had 3.7 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2017. In comparison, New Hampshire’s gun death rate was 10.5 per 100,000 people, and the top three worst states for gun deaths in the country — Alaska, Alabama, and Louisiana, all of which have loose gun laws — each had more than 21 gun deaths per 100,000 people.
                                https://wonder.cdc.gov/controller/datarequest/D77
                                The stats are undeniable.
                                The states with more access to guns have more gun deaths.
                                Just like America having more access to guns than every first would country is reflected in its crime.

We all know a nut job that got into a fight and cane back with a Hurley/bat. In America he grabs a gun.
                                Someone hears a noise and investigates with what ever protection is to hand. Guns just being present the immediately escalate any situations. Lawful or unlawful.

I don’t gave a problem with owning guns when there’s a reason. It America’s notion that “just because it’s my right” is a valid reason that’s the issue for their proliferation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                  And I’m not in any way minimising the issue of gun violence. But how are gun deaths any more statistically relevant than other deaths?
                                  Because they are a heightened risk far in excess of what I'm used to.
                                  If I am going to Tanzania next week and am just going to drive from the airport to a hotel is it important I know what the numbers are for types of car, the different roads by area etc. do I need to know how many of the road deaths are ultimately because of the lack of good medical care afterwards?
                                  As far as I'm concerned all I need to know is that its x^n times more dangerous than home and so I want, or rather the company wants, to have a jeep with airbags for the journey. Same thing if I o to the states I want to know that I'm far more likely to die from a gun there than I am at home or for that matter in Tanzania.
                                  Travel advisories are just common sense, the US issued one for here warning people to avoid some scanger techno gig in Marley park a few weeks ago FFS!
                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 09-08-19, 12:19.

Comment

That doesn’t really answer my question SP. In fact it backs up my point.
                                    I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with a travel warnings. I’m saying let’s look at statistics honestly.
                                    If I’m going to [location], it’s relevant to know that I’m X times more likely to be murdered. Whether I’ll be stabbed or shot isn’t really any consolation after the fact. Overall homicide rate makes much more sense as the metric imo.

I especially don’t see how suicides are relevant to a travel risk. But seeing as you’re including suicide in you stats. The overall homicide+suicide rate in Ireland is higher than in America.
                                    Last edited by Mellor; 09-08-19, 12:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      Travel advisories are just common sense, the US issued one for here warning people to avoid some scanger techno gig in Marley park a few weeks ago FFS!
                                      They were specific though. That's the whole point. The warning was about a planned attack.
                                      They didn't give a general warning about Ireland. The Amnesty warning is meaningless, even worse it detracts from anyone ever taking them seriously again.

Comment

They were specific though. That's the whole point. The warning was about a planned attack.
                                        They didn't give a general warning about Ireland. The Amnesty warning is meaningless, even worse it detracts from anyone ever taking them seriously again.
                                        Do people take Amnesty International seriously?

Comment

If they were more specific about what was the issue and subsequent inflection point ie "multiple mass shootings" then it would have been a perfectly valuable tweet to send, issue as you say lies in it's generality.

Comment

I've always thought of them as the political wing of Bono.

Comment

I've never done coke, been offered dozens of times but it seems to turn people into absolute bellends
                                              they were probably bellends before they took it

Comment

Do you not?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  Do you not?
                                                  It's not based on any serious analysis or thinking but I kind of don't, no. I have a vague sense of them as somewhat unpleasant social justice warrior types, in a similar way to Greenpeace or PETA.

Apparently bullying and discrimination is endemic in the organisation's management. Which is a joke considering the purpose of it. But that seems to be the norm in some of these movements.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                    they were probably bellends before they took it
                                                    Yeah but some of them were MY bellends

Comment

It's not based on any serious analysis or thinking but I kind of don't, no. I have a vague sense of them as somewhat unpleasant social justice warrior types, in a similar way to Greenpeace or PETA.
                                                      I hoped it was based on something a bit more substantial than that - I'm surprised you think its a good use of your energy.

Comment

You know what’s bullshit... this faux environmental shtick hotels are spewing asking guests to request lest housekeeping.

It’s all a con. The very same hotels have any other number of unevironmentally friendly revenue streams... but when it’s a cost center... push it back on the customer.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                          I hoped it was based on something a bit more substantial than that - I'm surprised you think its a good use of your energy.
                                                          What use of energy?

Comment

That motorbike backfiring in Times Square shows that there's clearly enough of an issue for a warning. Having to teach kindergarten kids where to hide in case of an active shooter ffs. Amnestys message may be political but people carrying all sort of weapons to go to Starbucks are the ones who have jumped the shark.

Comment

Just after spending the last few days in Adare/Newcastlewest/Kinsale. Kinsale is a cracking spot with great history, food and friendly locals. A mixed bag of weather over the week but I’d take it over a 30 degree heat personally. Tipperary and Clare next up in a weeks time.

Toying with the idea of a long slow trip along the “Wild Atlantic way” at some stage...you sometimes don’t appreciate what’s on your doorstep.
                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                You know what’s bullshit... this faux environmental shtick hotels are spewing asking guests to request lest housekeeping.

It’s all a con. The very same hotels have any other number of unevironmentally friendly revenue streams... but when it’s a cost center... push it back on the customer.
                                                                It’s so crazy it’s ridiculous. Spend a fortune (economically and carbon footprint wise ) getting there and then save a few cents not washing the towel one less night. A bad joke all round.
                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

That sound you hear is the chiming bell of opportunity leaving the station as you wonder what it is you've forgotten to do.

Last few hours for entry to the fantasy football league, all aboard the entertainment train.

CHOO CHOO!!
                                                                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                    Just after spending the last few days in Adare/Newcastlewest/Kinsale. Kinsale is a cracking spot with great history, food and friendly locals. A mixed bag of weather over the week but I’d take it over a 30 degree heat personally. Tipperary and Clare next up in a weeks time.

Toying with the idea of a long slow trip along the “Wild Atlantic way” at some stage...you sometimes don’t appreciate what’s on your doorstep.
                                                                    Couldn't recommend the WAW highly enough tbh, despite the gimmicky marketing aimed at tourists. We have done a pretty decent chunk of it in the last 18 months and we always talk about going back to places and seeing new places.

Beaches, swimming, surfing, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, food, drink, boat tours, horse riding, we even went to a "race night" fundraiser for Easky GAA club when we were there and it was mighty, ceol agus craic.

BennyHiFi is in Carrigaholt in Clare at the moment (according to his Insta) the missus sister lives there and we go down every so often, small village, beautiful spot, great food and friendly locals.

I think someone said here before, you can really feel the pace of life slow down when you head west and that's absolutely spot on. Now you've got me thinking about a trip

Comment

Things like that almost make me want to learn how to drive.

Comment

Things like that almost make me want to learn how to drive.
                                                                        Will take you for a road trip any time m8. Just say when

Comment

Bedale AFC's 2019 kit...

Their 2018 kit...

Their 2017 kit...

Comment

Oh tremendous, ferry departure delayed from 20.30 to 3am.

Of course they wait until you're onboard to spring that little nugget. Mrs D3 and 2 * kids miss out on Croke Park tonorrow now.
                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Of course they wait until you're onboard to spring that little nugget. Mrs D3 and 2 * kids miss out on Croke Park tonorrow now.
                                                                              lol 30+kts blowing around Lands End...going to be a disgusting crossing.

Comment

That pizza oven I bought is incredible:

Homemade dough and sauce. Honestly up there with the best pizzas I've ever eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                  lol 30+kts blowing around Lands End...going to be a disgusting crossing.
                                                                                  Will try and get kids asleep in advance so. Would require thermonuclear explosion to wake 'em.

Comment

Still better to be in the cabin then in the car waiting to get onboard in the middle of the night. The issue is the boredom factor of all day on the ship tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                      Still better to be in the cabin then in the car waiting to get onboard in the middle of the night. The issue is the boredom factor of all day on the ship tomorrow.
                                                                                      Movies, books, puking.

If previous journeys are anything to go by. I'm the only one who doesn't puke.

Comment

Movies, books, puking.

If previous journeys are anything to go by. I'm the only one who doesn't puke.
                                                                                        PUKKI playing for Norwich tonight Finnish Prolific goalscorer .

Comment

Any streams for the Pool match there PSV?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                            Live on Sky 1

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                              Live on Sky 1
                                                                                              Wife wont let me have Sports channels

Edit - just re-read that...tyty
                                                                                              Last edited by Dice75; 09-08-19, 19:01.

Comment

Wife wont let me have Sports channels
                                                                                                Swap wife for sky on weekend

Comment

Homemade dough and sauce. Honestly up there with the best pizzas I've ever eaten.
                                                                                                  Looks great. A place was charging up to 17yoyos for them at ATN.

Comment

PSV got to me so I've paid for 3 months of NowTV Sky Sports.
                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I knew Norwich couldn't defend but my God.

Was excited to see an apology arrive just there in my inbox from the UN Refugee Agency, perhaps referencing why they think I'm a Muslim.

"We made a mistake.

You may have just received an email wishing you a happy Eid. Unfortunately, this was a mistake made on our part and we are truly sorry."

Ooh, interesting...

"As you have previously asked not to receive emails from us, we apologise for this error."

Aww.

Comment

Jamie Carragher is stealing a living!

+Don't think young Trent will get away with not being able to defend this season.

Comment

I'm expecting the outdoor jax to come into fashion soon.
                                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Looks great, leoparding i think its called ! what dough recipe are you using ?
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Just the Jamie Oliver one. Seems to work well.

Comment

, actually watched the first half on an illegal stream at someone else houseelse’s house. It was like watching one of those speeded up old time movies but in color .appaling squalor

Comment

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                    , actually watched the first half on an illegal stream at someone else houseelse’s house. It was like watching one of those speeded up old time movies but in color .appaling squalor
                                                                                                                    Thief.
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

What are you having for dinner?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                        Were you able to fit in on your high horse? Did he get the same spiel that you go on with here?

Comment

What are you having for dinner?
                                                                                                                          Hang sangwidges
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X