Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
    I got the Jewish Sabboth day question wrong because of the way it was worded about what day it starts (sundown on Friday).

Also got the question wrong about faith being the thing leading to salvation, I thought both Catholics and Protestants believed that.
    Catholics are all about them indulgences

Comment

Peaky Blinders always seems to have been highly rated, watched the first season, may draw some ire for this but...does it get better? Watching someone build a criminal empire is usually an easy way to make something gripping but PB is really lacking so far and

SPOILER
      the fight at the end of S1 against Kimby was cringeworthy from start to finish, even before his sister turned up.

Shelbys? "Family? They're a glorified crew"

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
        Pew research center's findings on What Americans actually know about Religion: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...hat-they-dont/

You can take the polling test here: https://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/u-s...nowledge-quiz/

I'd be pretty surprised if people aren't getting above the average of every cohort polled.
        Ability to put Laz to the test here. I was 13/15 FWIW
        13/15

If I had taken time to really think about it I’d of gotten all 15 right.

Two wrong were
        SPOILER
        chose Jacob instead of Abraham, was 50/50 in the 10 seconds I was giving the question, but with time I would have remembered.

Chose Catholicism over Protestantism for the question on ‘faith alone’ again time would have reminded me that Catholicism is action and repentance based also.

Even just guessing gets you higher than the US average though. Though the follow up point on some of the omitted questions would explain some of it as well (even if the average for teh specific 15 we answered was pretty low anyway)
        Last edited by Iago; 27-07-19, 13:23.
        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
          I got the Jewish Sabboth day question wrong because of the way it was worded about what day it starts (sundown on Friday).

Also got the question wrong about faith being the thing leading to salvation, I thought both Catholics and Protestants believed that.
          Also got the sabbath one wrong.
          Same reason.
          Got the rest though. Fairly easily too.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Quiz (or the 15 questions we see) seems quite biased towards Christianity.
            I doubt we'd score as high if there were questions as specific as the Moses or Abraham ones but based on people in Buddhist or Muslim theology. Or the equivalent of the commandments in the Sikh religion etc.
            11/15, poor.

Comment

Any of you computer geeks know the best place price for a Lenovo Chromebook charger? Don't wanna put 30 euros.

Ta.
              Last edited by Solksjaer!; 27-07-19, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                13/15

If I had taken time to really think about it I’d of gotten all 15 right.

Two wrong were
                SPOILER
                chose Jacob instead of Abraham, was 50/50 in the 10 seconds I was giving the question, but with time I would have remembered.

Chose Catholicism over Protestantism for the question on ‘faith alone’ again time would have reminded me that Catholicism is action and repentance based also.

Even just guessing gets you higher than the US average though. Though the follow up point on some of the omitted questions would explain some of it as well (even if the average for teh specific 15 we answered was pretty low anyway)
                “Highway 61 Revisited" by Bob DylanListen to Bob Dylan: https://bobdylan.lnk.to/listenYDSubscribe to the Bob Dylan YouTube channel: https://bobdylan.lnk.to/_...
                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  Peaky Blinders always seems to have been highly rated, watched the first season, may draw some ire for this but...does it get better? Watching someone build a criminal empire is usually an easy way to make something gripping but PB is really lacking so far and

SPOILER
                  the fight at the end of S1 against Kimby was cringeworthy from start to finish, even before his sister turned up.

Shelbys? "Family? They're a glorified crew"
                  The first season is not good and generally a bit cringeworthy in its attempts to be stylish while being poorly written. It then improves enormously and also qualitatively after that, such that it's become properly really good. And Tom Hardy's character performance alone is worth the watch.

Comment

On a metro yolk and expecting The Warriors at some point at some stop.. Fucking anxiety on these yokes 🙈
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                      no idea tbh. i think he would have pulled away from Alaphilippe, but not sure from Thomas who was in a decent sized group.

still a decent stage tomorrow. stopping early might just give Bernal that extra bit of energy he might need to push on or hold on to the Yellow jersey, as i think he would have had to push extra hard on that last climb
                      They paid out on bernal immediately after the stage

Comment

Funny that atheists have nearly the highest score.
                        Its not at all surprising, IMO Atheists are generally more interested in religion than religious people.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Kilkenny two points clear 15 mins to go and trading at 2.8
                            Limerick hype train off the scale IMO

Comment

Great game, great team Kilkenny.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Kilkenny two points clear 15 mins to go and trading at 2.8
                                Limerick hype train off the scale IMO
                                Off the rails now...great watch for a neutral...not so great when u have Limerick in a acca bet!

Comment

What a game. That was spirited stuff from Limerick after they looked dead and buried at 5 points down with 10 left. Kilkenny were like savages, first to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    Not sure why you arent't watching Long Shot, but everyones a weirdo in their own way
                                    Its on the list !!
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

On the way home from the Blind Boy podcast with Tommy Tiernan at the Iveagh Gardens. If anyone follows the podcast. It's well worth a listen.
                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Currently minding 8 kids under 8 for 48 hours....how the fuck did people do this full time years ago. Id have just put a hot iron to it after 3 or 4.
                                        Flipside to this is getting a night off with no kids....off out in one of the best pub towns in Ireland, Dingle to sample the Guinness

Comment

I used to think bloody Mary's were vile. They are fucking beautiful if done right.

Googled a decent place that serves an all day brekkie for morn and bloody mary reviews 5*

Think ill spend all day tomorrow drinking them, and they surely not fattening 🤔
                                          Her sky-ness
                                          © 5starpool

Comment

This Is England '92' confirmed.

What a show !
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Teddy Perkins episode of Atlanta starting on BBC2 now.

Comment

Have many people watched Sorry To Bother You? Weird, great movie - until it really lurched into fantasy I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in years. Not sure how to rate it exactly after seeing the final 1/3... it's still really good but a bit of a mind-fuck.

Comment

Not even midnight and ready for sleep checked steps app 22 k steps. Avg at home 4k max.

I'd say first hol I may have lost weight
                                                  Fuck these city breaks. Rather sitting on my fat ass by the beach drinking Cocktails and home a half or so stone heavier

I ain't no city girl break type
                                                  Feel like I'm in Lisbon 2 fucking weeks after 4 days
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                    I used to think bloody Mary's were vile. They are fucking beautiful if done right.

Googled a decent place that serves an all day brekkie for morn and bloody mary reviews 5*

Think ill spend all day tomorrow drinking them, and they surely not fattening 🤔
                                                    Try a Red Snapper... It's a bloody Mary made with gin

Comment

Not even midnight and ready for sleep checked steps app 22 k steps. Avg at home 4k max.

I'd say first hol I may have lost weight
                                                      Fuck these city breaks. Rather sitting on my fat ass by the beach drinking Cocktails and home a half or so stone heavier

I ain't no city girl break type
                                                      Feel like I'm in Lisbon 2 fucking weeks after 4 days
                                                      How the fuck do you only get 4K a day max at home?

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                        How the fuck do you only get 4K a day max at home?
                                                        I'd say you would be very surprised by the amounts people walk Mon-Fri tbh.
                                                        Outside of training, I probably walk circa 5k a day.

Worst part of the 10k mark is it's completely arbitrary and it's actually recommended to be 15k

*Shared an article but it's behind a paywall, Nature calculated US average at <5k a day
                                                        Last edited by Guest; 28-07-19, 06:32.

Comment

I'd say you would be very surprised by the amounts people walk Mon-Fri tbh.
                                                          Outside of training, I probably walk circa 5k a day.
                                                          Anyone who’s on their feet regularly at work, even a small amount, should get close to 10k easily.

Worst part of the 10k mark is it's completely arbitrary and it's actually recommended to be 15k
                                                          15k actually recommended by who? That’s sounds completely arbitrary too.
                                                          Read another article that suggested 6k is enough. I doubts there’s any calculation behind these numbers, it’s just a case of moving more.
                                                          4k<6k<10k<15k

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                            Anyone who’s on their feet regularly at work, even a small amount, should get close to 10k easily.

15k actually recommended by who? That’s sounds completely arbitrary too.
                                                            Read another article that suggested 6k is enough. I doubts there’s any calculation behind these numbers, it’s just a case of moving more.
                                                            4k<6k<10k<15k
                                                            Well this article by NewScientist suggests the following

The optimum amount of exercise you should get each day is equivalent to about 15,000 steps, taken at a brisk walk or faster. Steps that fall below this “moderate-and-vigorous” activity level will count for less. Here’s a rough guide to how that stacks up

STEPS (moderate and vigorous)

50: climbing four flights of stairs

150: running the length of a football pitch

1250: 1 kilometre brisk walk

1500: approximate daily average for US and UK adults

3000: US recommended daily minimum

3000: approximate equivalent to 10,000 steps on a fitness tracker

7500: 1 hour of running, dancing or cycling

15,000: daily round of a postal worker in Glasgow

19,000: UK recommended weekly target for adults

200,000+: ultramarathon

Forget 10,000 steps a day. Modern sports science and evolutionary biology now tell us how much exercise the human body really needs

Comment

Everyone should just move to Disneyland Paris and we'll all be super fit.

Comment

The optimum amount of exercise...
                                                                There’s the two key differences.
                                                                That article is referring to an optimal amount. The 10k steps thing is a recommended daily minimum, very different statements. (Similar to the RDA for vitamin for example).
                                                                It’s further blurred by the fact that that article is referring to exercise, not total activity. It mentions that incidental steps over the day “count for less” compared to vigorous exercise steps. The article includes 3k vigorous steps as the recommended minimum, which equals 10k activity steps being a recommended minimum.

Comment

3 x 10 minutes fast walking kicks the arse out of 10k steps for wellbeing . Look at obese golfers moseying 25k steps a round 5/6 days a week .

Comment

Er what Mellor said

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                      3 x 10 minutes fast walking kicks the arse out of 10k steps for wellbeing . Look at obese golfers moseying 25k steps a round 5/6 days a week .
                                                                      Good time to remind all of the IPB golf outing on the 9th of August
                                                                      5 tee times booked
                                                                      €40 for the round including 2 course dinner
                                                                      A grand walk while hitting a few round balls in an open space
                                                                      Jump aboard
                                                                      1st tee time 4.15
                                                                      All welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                        There’s the two key differences.
                                                                        That article is referring to an optimal amount. The 10k steps thing is a recommended daily minimum, very different statements. (Similar to the RDA for vitamin for example).
                                                                        It’s further blurred by the fact that that article is referring to exercise, not total activity. It mentions that incidental steps over the day “count for less” compared to vigorous exercise steps. The article includes 3k vigorous steps as the recommended minimum, which equals 10k activity steps being a recommended minimum.
                                                                        I obviously agree with your suggestion that anyone regularly on their feet in work can hit 10k but how regular can one be on their feet in work if they work at a desk. I would think not enough to hit 10k tbh.

Fair point regarding optimal vs minimum but I wasn't really referring to recommended as analogous to a vitamin RDA. I was more referring to what one should strive for on a daily basis whether that be referred to as recommended/optimal.

I think we can agree that aiming for greater than the RDA equivalent is probably a fine goal.
                                                                        The 10k thing was invented in the 1960s as a marketing ploy apparently, so it's as arbitrary as it comes I guess but it's clearly worthwhile to use if it's the minimum as the article suggests while average is 5k tracker steps.

I believe the ambiguity arises for many people as they feel that hitting their 10k steps on a tracker is in fact a daily workout and not really a baseline.
                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 28-07-19, 09:02.

Comment

@Mellor just on the subject of sport & optimisation etc, I started this during the week, probably right up your street, David Epstein Sports Gene guy: Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41795733-range

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulainn1 View Post
                                                                              Everyone should just move to Disneyland Paris and we'll all be super fit.
                                                                              Something similar. I did 100k+ over EP last year without having the phone on 100% of the time.

Comment

Gonna close the voting for the semi-finals of Music King at Midday Monday.

Comment

I just walk to work and back and hit something like 12k and that feels like nothing. Sitting around at the weekend can be a killer for me though, gotta get out and walk. Hitting 500k for a month feels good! Need to get back to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                    I just walk to work and back and hit something like 12k and that feels like nothing. Sitting around at the weekend can be a killer for me though, gotta get out and walk. Hitting 500k for a month feels good! Need to get back to that.
                                                                                    Precisely where the gap exists between those who fall short of 10k and those who exceed it.

Comment

I guess a lot of it is convenience, but I'd also walk for an hour at lunch, or go to the gym so a lot of it is just laziness and not caring about yourself for whatever reason.

Comment

Wexford fans definiely win the award for biggest gobshites in the country. Blasting out rebel IRA songs in local pub at fecking midday.
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                          In what is surely an all time record, my net after-tax pay this month was €19,800. (my normal monthly pay is obviously a lot less than that).
                                                                                          Put that on your Tinder profile and see what happens.
                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I wish I had another 3 days in Lisbon

SPOILER
                                                                                            said no one ever
                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

I wish I had another 3 days in Lisbon

SPOILER
                                                                                              said no one ever
                                                                                              Did you ever think about doing something other than drink on a holiday? Like book a tour or go exploring and sight seeing. I just googled "things to do in Lisbon" and a whole host of things popped up.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                Did you ever think about doing something other than drink on a holiday? Like book a tour or go exploring and sight seeing. I just googled "things to do in Lisbon" and a whole host of things popped up.
                                                                                                Everything that popped up on your Google I have done over the last 5 days... And more!!

So now Mr dobby!!!

Edit to say, I've only had 2 bloody Mary's and a cherry shot and I'm on my second little beer, people watching outside of the train station wondering will I go to the beach again or go on a boat trip again or go on a tuc tuc tour again or maybe jump on metro AGAIN...
                                                                                                Last edited by SatNav; 28-07-19, 13:04.
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Fair play. Just seemed from your posts that you had been boozing all the time and complaining then about lack of things to do. I suppose the craic is what you make it

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                    Fair play. Just seemed from your posts that you had been boozing all the time and complaining then about lack of things to do. I suppose the craic is what you make it
                                                                                                    The thing about these city breaks is your actually doing alot and stopping here and there for one or two drinks. No big sessions, no late nights. Up early and doing loads. I just think City breaks ain't for me.

It's hard work like lol
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

That's the first time I've heard anyone say anything negative about Lisbon.

Have had so many people tell me how great a city it is.
                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The thing about these city breaks is your actually doing alot and stopping here and there for one or two drinks. No big sessions, no late nights. Up early and doing loads. I just think City breaks ain't for me.

It's hard work like lol
                                                                                                        Ah sure different strokes etc etc. I love the aul city break. Wander around, do a tour, go for food, few drinks, wander further. Had a blast for 2 days in Munich in June and heading to Milan for 2 days in October. Plenty of museums and history in every European city to stay occupied.

Comment

Going get tuc tuc now over the bridge that looks like San fran Bridge 1 hour 100 quid.
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                            That's the first time I've heard anyone say anything negative about Lisbon.

Have had so many people tell me how great a city it is.
                                                                                                            I didn't say it wasn't a lovely city, it is a beautiful city however I'm running out of things to amuse me. 5 days is plenty if not too much. Feel like I'm here 10 days.

It just ain't for me
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

There's definitely a case for keeping city breaks to 4 nights max. Even 3 nights on an early Thursday to late Sunday schedule, and blasting your way through the must-do items.
                                                                                                              Any longer and you quickly find yourself at the dregs of the Top 20 things to see list.

Comment

I obviously agree with your suggestion that anyone regularly on their feet in work can hit 10k but how regular can one be on their feet in work if they work at a desk. I would think not enough to hit 10k tbh.
                                                                                                                Most of my job is at a desk, or in meetings. But I hit 10k regularly without actively trying to get steps in. Walk to/from the bus. Walk to grab a coffee/lunch, etc.
                                                                                                                Days when I’ve actually been on my get it’s up past 20k. But I’ve a habit of pacing about when I’m my heads not right.

I believe the ambiguity arises for many people as they feel that hitting their 10k steps on a tracker is in fact a daily workout and not really a baseline.
                                                                                                                It’s better than 5k, but it’s not proper exercise imo. I’m sure there’s plenty under the impression that it is.

Comment

@Mellor just on the subject of sport & optimisation etc, I started this during the week, probably right up your street, David Epstein Sports Gene guy: Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41795733-range
                                                                                                                  I’ll keep an eye out. Definitely right up my street. I’m hugely fascinated by the role genetics plays in sport.

And drugs too tbh. Rambled down many PED rabbit holes. Blatant cheating, but it’s damn interesting

Comment

I can confirm satnav is "doing stuff" and not boozing like.i accused her of. She sent me 3 videos on Facebook to prove it but jesus satnav, there was no need to start singing lol

Comment

General understanding of personal finance is mad. I've had the same discussion with three people lately where they were going to take out a short term high APR loan to buy or pay for something that was less than their savings. Its like they see it as two different types of money. So mad to borrow money at 10% from the same people that are giving you 0% on yours.

I think it comes down to seeing their money as an untouchable emergency reserve, they don't trust themselves to replenish it in the same way they would pay back a loan. To them that was worth setting a few hundred on fire.

Comment

General understanding of personal finance is mad. I've had the same discussion with three people lately where they were going to take out a short term high APR loan to buy or pay for something that was less than their savings. Its like they see it as two different types of money. So mad to borrow money at 10% from the same people that are giving you 0% on yours.

I think it comes down to seeing their money as an untouchable emergency reserve, they don't trust themselves to replenish it in the same way they would pay back a loan. To them that was worth setting a few hundred on fire.
                                                                                                                        I see my emergency fund and my savings as two different types of money.

And you could reasonable apply your argument to the above.
                                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

On working days I'd struggle to make 10K steps unless I go for a walk, usually 4-5K

Apparently the arbitrary 10K number comes from the Japanese symbol for 10K (万) being animated to looking like it was walking it by one of the early pedometer manufacturers.
                                                                                                                          It seems to me like a good number for sedentary people to aim for and there is no doubt that people are motivated by it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X