Best Android Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
    Can anyone give me a quick retards-guide to what i should do/need with my new Android?

Just got my Samsung Galaxy SII today, very impressed so far, immense piece of kit.
    Download Launcher Pro first, seriously. Save yourself more effort down the line. Probably get a better browser than the default one also, Mirren is very good.

Yeah download power saver widget and put that somewhere handy also for toggling on and off things you use regularly, I also like my Google calender widget to be on my main homescreen but that's just me.

Also yeah task killers for Android 2.2 or above, which you have, actually hurt performances, I've read this in many places and experienced it on my phone, so I'd not bother with them.
    "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Can anyone give me a quick retards-guide to what i should do/need with my new Android?

Just got my Samsung Galaxy SII today, very impressed so far, immense piece of kit.
      betfair app for android

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
        betfair app for android
        I've never being able to find this. The website is well optimized for the phone through he browser though

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
          I've been doing a fair bit of research into phones recently, and there seems to be a pretty clear consensus that you shouldn't use a task killer, if you do, you should set it to only kill apps that you use very infrequently and certainly never for apps that auto start, because closing and opening apps uses more juice then just having them idle in the background.
          100% correct. Android 'learns' your app usage pattern and adapts accordingly. Task Killers are redundant & can cause problems.

I used to use Juice Defender but found it lagged badly when toggling back on 3G/WiFi.

I have the Galaxy SII (best phone i've ever had ), I use Skype with video (hacked version).

Get the Hotspot/tethering widget to instantly turn on/off tethering.

The SII has no ability to mute sound (strange omission ) so get a 'mute' widget from Market.

I also use a downloaded flashlight app and perhaps my #1 app is 'Gtasks' to manage my to-do lists and synch automatically with my Google Apps account.

Good luck, you will never look back after using this phone

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
            I've never being able to find this. The website is well optimized for the phone through he browser though
            big improvements recently ok

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
              I got it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                Get wifi and blutooth toggle buttons for your homepage, I find them essential to keep battery life up to scratch. You can root and get juice defender which is also good, or I think task killer works without rooting.
                How do i get the wifi/bluetooth toggle buttons on the homepage? Apologies if this is really obvious!

Comment

press home page until list appears
                  select widgets
                  power management
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Teamviewer app is the mutts nuts as well
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Lads bit of help please, for example, I have IPB bookmarked, if I am viewing a certain topic or page on here and I press the home button on my HTC, is there any way I can go back and view the page I was viewing with out having to load it all up again, hope this makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                        Lads bit of help please, for example, I have IPB bookmarked, if I am viewing a certain topic or page on here and I press the home button on my HTC, is there any way I can go back and view the page I was viewing with out having to load it all up again, hope this makes sense
                        Press and hold the home button until the list of running apps appears then select your brower, that should bring youy back to where you were..
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Press and hold the home button until the list of running apps appears then select your brower, that should bring youy back to where you were..
                          Just got mirren and dolphin browser, this is exactly what I am looking for, mirren seems to be the better of the 2, its certainly faster, I just love this new HTC Sensation

Comment

Anybody got any decent video players? Trying to play some 720p files on Rock Player + Mobo player and they are kinda laggy.

Seems the SGSII has better video support than the Sensation and can handle the formats better.

Can play an AVI ok in it but when you go for some of the better quality stuff its a little meh.
                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                              Anybody got any decent video players? Trying to play some 720p files on Rock Player + Mobo player and they are kinda laggy.

Seems the SGSII has better video support than the Sensation and can handle the formats better.

Can play an AVI ok in it but when you go for some of the better quality stuff its a little meh.

SII plays all video formats natively and fast

Comment

Try Arcmedia. I find that plays all files.
                                I'm loving skyfire browser I like the way Facebook is integrated into it. Plus it plays all video unlike FireFox.
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Mirren is the best browser I've used, Skyfire was a bit buggy for me, maybe they've since updated it and made it more stable. Mirren just feels like Chrome.
                                  "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                                    SII plays all video formats natively and fast
                                    It plays all the media files but I haven't seemed to be able to find a good player as of yet, might also be the SD card as for read/write speed.

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
                                      Try Arcmedia. I find that plays all files.
                                      I'm loving skyfire browser I like the way Facebook is integrated into it. Plus it plays all video unlike FireFox.
                                      Wow that was a terrible player, downloaded the free version and the picture quality was dire.

Comment

Where are ye all getting you're FREE video's from?

Comment

Where are ye all getting you're FREE video's from?
                                          I used to have a RapidShare account. Yesterday went to my friends house and he has over 1k movies on his hard drive so I copied around 70 off him and stucka few then onto the phone
                                          Her sky-ness
                                          © 5starpool

Comment

, have my HTC Sensation 2 fkn days and there is a fault with it, when i take a pic with the flash on the phone powers off, it happens everytime, going straight back to shop with it tomorrow, hopw its not a fault with all of them, anyone else having similar problems?

Comment

Just got mirren and dolphin browser, this is exactly what I am looking for, mirren seems to be the better of the 2, its certainly faster, I just love this new HTC Sensation
                                              , have my HTC Sensation 2 fkn days and there is a fault with it, when i take a pic with the flash on the phone powers off, it happens everytime, going straight back to shop with it tomorrow, hopw its not a fault with all of them, anyone else having similar problems?
                                              iphone ftw

Comment

Mine is grand.

Originally posted by ferg View Post
                                                iphone ftw
                                                Get out of this thread you iPhone drooler

Comment

Get out of this thread you iPhone drooler
                                                  Was wondering when the big guns would come out alright

Comment

So I've decided I wanna mess around with my Desire HD, I've already rooted it but does anyone have a link for an idiots guide or what to do next? Is there any way to back up my messages, apps etc so that they'll be there, or easily brought across, when I put a new ROM on the phone? Is there any way to back up an image of the phone now so I can always revert back to the state its in now? I'm very new to all of this

Comment

Reboot your phone, then install “ROM Manager” app under Market. Open the app and install Clockwork Recovery by flashing (the first menu button).

If that was successful, you have successfully flashed the Clockwork Recovery, which will allow you to make full system backup/restore and also let you install new ROMs.

Comment

Brilliant, cheers for that DP, I'll get on that now.

Comment

Alrighty I'm going to give this fella a shot. Quick question though, I understand the process of whiping and installing the new Rom, but I also wanna add the HTC Sense 3.0 add on, I've downloaded the zip file but what exactly do I do with it? Just flash it on afterwards in the same way I would for the rom itself?

Comment

Next Project:

Wifi Ftp Server
                                                            Get SwiFTP from the market
                                                            Open the SwiFTP and start it. Look for the address on WiFi URL: and remember it...

Open File Explorer on your PC, right-click on My Computer and select Map network drive...

In the Map network drive dialog box, click on "Connect to a Web site...bla bla bla..." and click Next...

Until you see it ask you to "Choose a custom network location", highlight it and click "Next"...

On the dialog where it asked to type in a network address, type in the WiFi URL from SwiFTP (add in /sdcard/ to easily start in your device's sdcard) and click "Next"...

In between, if it ask whether to log in as anonymous, you can key in your username as you've put into the SwiFTP.

On this dialog, you can give a name to your device. This will appear on your PC's File Explorer..

Click "Next" and when you're done, click "Finish"...

Now, when ever you want to access your device wireless-ly, just click on it from your File Explorer and key in your password when prompted...

Comment

Anyone know of an app that you can set up so that whenever you recieve a text it turns on your screen to the default lockscreen? At the moment I've SMS pop up, which turns the screen on and displays a pop up saying you've got a text over your homescreen, but I'd like one that simply turns the screen on to the default lockscreen and does nothing else. Is there anything that does that?

Comment

Not entirley sure what you are asking here?
                                                                GoSMS is what I use and you can set it to unlock the screen or not depending on your preference

Comment

Probably didn't explain it well, basically the lockscreen on my phone on my newly installed ROM has its own pop up for when a text message comes in, I can also quickly access my text messages app from there. All I need is an app that turns the screen on from standby when I recieve a text and shows this lockscreen, I was using SMS pop up which turns the screen on but displays its own pop-up above the homescreen instead of the lockscreen, if that makes sense?

Essentially this is a very minor trivial thing that'd save me like 2 seconds each time, I was just wondering if it was available, I'll try gosms now, cheers.

Comment

What browser do people use on Android or specifically the S2. I've tired Miren but it crashes alot for me.

Comment

I use dolphin, it's full screen and the gestures are pretty handy.

Comment

skyfire, seems pretty good

Comment

just got the galaxy 10.1 tab and it's pretty sweet. Initial pain in the ass that Macs don't seem to support android 3 file transfer bt USB but just installed wifi transfer pro for. 99c and it works very well. Pretty much does what deadparrots big post describes but with one click which is good for non techos like me:-)

Synched all apps from my desire HD in seconds which was good.

Have been using ever note a lot recently. Its a great app for sharing docs between devices, I have it on android, windows and os x.

Dealmaker looks to be good for icm deals, wish I had it Belgium when they were discussing 6 way deal :-)

Built in browser on tab seems good after a few days use. Has tabbed browsing, full screen and flash works well in it.

Gmail on a tablet is awesome, probably better than web version!

Twitter app also better than web based on mac or PC. Skype works well too which is not the case on the HD.

Overall really pleased I went with it over I pad 2. Better screen, just as fast and slightly smaller. All normal android apps seem to work OK and seems to be a growing number of tablet specific ones in the market now.
                                                                          sigpic
                                                                          www.d4events.com

Comment

Smart man Mike

Comment

Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a class piece of kit.

I use the original 7" Galaxy Tab in work and it's excellent as well.

Comment

I really can't justify getting a tablet, but I gotta say Android 3 looks slick as hell from what I've seen of it. That Galaxy 10.1 looks like some piece of kit.

Comment

What browser do people use on Android or specifically the S2. I've tired Miren but it crashes alot for me.
                                                                                  I use miren and find it the bizz, never crashes for me, was using dolphin aswell but found miren to be the better of the two

Comment

Was reading a comment made by someone who has tested every single browser on Google Market. He says this one is the best, if people wanna try it out. I've not tried it myself yet.

Comment

iv just downloaded double twist which is a media player, really like it!

also like cover art grabber!!

Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Vlingo, doesn't work too well with a Cork accent but great craic seeing what she will interpret.

handy for reading out texts when driving alright
                                                                                        sigpic

Comment

Overheard a guy in work today mention that he had a nintendo emulator on his android phone, didn't get a chance to ask him what it was , searched the market can't really see anything

Comment

SuperGNES is one I use, works on landscape and portrait, for the Snes obviously. I like it, it'll never feel quite right with touch screen buttons but it does the job as well as it could which is to say it lets me play Mario 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                              SuperGNES is one I use, works on landscape and portrait, for the Snes obviously. I like it, it'll never feel quite right with touch screen buttons but it does the job as well as it could which is to say it lets me play Mario 3.
                                                                                              Where do you get your games for this?

N/M found this and got three that work http://www.freeroms.com/snes.htm
                                                                                              Last edited by Rufio; 29-08-11, 22:58.
                                                                                              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Yeah any old ROMs will do, they're pretty easy to find

Comment

Whats the best Twitter app?

Comment

I use Tweetdeck, but I've never even tried anything else since I use it on my laptop so it just made sense to use it on my phone. It's brilliant though, will also show you Facebook updates if you want and can translate tweets if you follow people who don't always tweet in English

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                                      I use Tweetdeck, but I've never even tried anything else since I use it on my laptop so it just made sense to use it on my phone. It's brilliant though, will also show you Facebook updates if you want and can translate tweets if you follow people who don't always tweet in English
                                                                                                      Cheers, just been using the Twitter app that comes with Android, never seems to notify me when I get mentioned and I have messed around with the settings and yet still nothing.

Doesn't help I still haven't figured out how to use Twitter properly yet
                                                                                                      Last edited by tylerdurden94; 29-08-11, 23:54.

Comment

Cheers, just been using the Twitter app that comes with Android, never seems to notify me when I get mentioned and I have messed around with the settings any yet still nothing.

Doesn't help I still haven't figured out how to use Twitter properly yet
                                                                                                        you and me both lol!
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                                          you and me both lol!
                                                                                                          I have a basic grasp of it but haven't used it a lot yet.

Comment

An app called FilmOn TV was pointed out to me recently. There are a good few TV stations, including the UK terrestrial ones on it. No premium ones though, but useful for the likes of BBC, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              An app called FilmOn TV was pointed out to me recently. There are a good few TV stations, including the UK terrestrial ones on it. No premium ones though, but useful for the likes of BBC, etc.
                                                                                                              downloaded this but when i try open a station it loads for a min and then says cannot play video? is there a media player i should get to support it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                                                                                                                downloaded this but when i try open a station it loads for a min and then says cannot play video? is there a media player i should get to support it?

Did you register your account first?

Comment

Been using this the last few days on samsung s. Few stations seem to lose connection constantly but was watching bbc 1 for a good 3 hours the other night. Needs a couple of updates I reckon. Seems to work perfectly on I phone

Comment

thats brill, thanks!!!

mia is watching cbeebies delighted with herself!
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Hmm I've installed adobe flash player and registered but it still says I need flash player installed on the device... anybody know why this is happening?

Edit: sorted it out by re-installing Filmontv app. Works great.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Rufio; 30-08-11, 12:28.
                                                                                                                      Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Anyone know if Stars have an Android app? I know Full Tilt used too, you couldn't get it in the market but it was their own official app, does anyone know if Stars have one too?

Comment

What is the best way of putting music and videos on it? I have a SGS2 fwiw.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X