Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-02-20, 14:06   #861
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I was delighted with myself when I tipped the scales at 69.95kg yesterday

I'm also two inches shorter than you!



'Marathon' bit was throwing me off. I still can't see dates etc there, unless I'm being even more dense than usual I need to wait till Saturday for them to release details?
Haven't found dates yet myself, seems we do need to wait until Sat. They're usually the 3rd week of the month. 22nd or thereabouts.

That's a fine weight man, I'm too skinny. Great for running but I think I'd prefer to be closer to your weight.
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 18:17   #862
Solksjaer!
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,292
At 93-95 kgs I'm carrying nearly a full Lazare on my back when I'm running. Reading an excellent book at the moment. Would highly recommend it. NOT A DIET BOOK by James Smith.

When it comes to HR tests fitness tests . I'd recommend a full cardio mot by a actual cardiologists. Especially if considering longer distance running. There are very big risks. I realise I could drop dead myself but just putting it out there .
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 14-02-20, 11:45   #863
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 14,099
Send a message via MSN to Keane
I'm not after putting down a great week with all the bad weather and whatnot and the HM training plan I'm doing with my Garmin was starting to get a bit antsy with me so I said I better get out and do the speed repeats it had planned for me yesterday with the weather looking a bit more clement.

It was my first time out on the road on my own since the first week of January when I did 5k in 25:17 (hard to believe, but I checked). Running with the better half has been very good in terms of keeping me at the slow end of my range and I've had very little in the way of twinges but you're missing the chance to let rip a bit as well.

Anyway, I started off with a bit of a warm-up and took off. I found myself between 4:00 & 4:30 per km on the speedy bits and was still around 5:00 in the breaks so I had it in my head I was game ball for the 25:00 5k. Unfortunately the way these training plan runs come up on the watch they add the warm up to your total time & distance so it's very hard to tell exactly how far or fast you've been in the main phase. I was busting a gut anyway (cleared 200 BPM at one stage as people have been pointing out with horror on Strava) and eventually started to slow down fairly sure in my own head I had it in the bag.

Get back, cool down, watch gives a happy beep to inform my of a new 5k PB - 25:14.

Spoiler


I'm pretty confident I have it in the bag now if I was to go out and pace it properly. The local ParkRun actually has pacers tomorrow so I might even try it then depending how I feel in the morning.

Last edited by Keane; 14-02-20 at 11:55.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 14-02-20, 15:00   #864
Goodluck2me
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solksjaer! View Post
At 93-95 kgs I'm carrying nearly a full Lazare on my back when I'm running. Reading an excellent book at the moment. Would highly recommend it. NOT A DIET BOOK by James Smith.

When it comes to HR tests fitness tests . I'd recommend a full cardio mot by a actual cardiologists. Especially if considering longer distance running. There are very big risks. I realise I could drop dead myself but just putting it out there .
My wife is a doctor and all her cardiologist friends would ban marathons, they put too much strain on the heart for people, even fit ones who train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I'm not after putting down a great week with all the bad weather and whatnot and the HM training plan I'm doing with my Garmin was starting to get a bit antsy with me so I said I better get out and do the speed repeats it had planned for me yesterday with the weather looking a bit more clement.

It was my first time out on the road on my own since the first week of January when I did 5k in 25:17 (hard to believe, but I checked). Running with the better half has been very good in terms of keeping me at the slow end of my range and I've had very little in the way of twinges but you're missing the chance to let rip a bit as well.

Anyway, I started off with a bit of a warm-up and took off. I found myself between 4:00 & 4:30 per km on the speedy bits and was still around 5:00 in the breaks so I had it in my head I was game ball for the 25:00 5k. Unfortunately the way these training plan runs come up on the watch they add the warm up to your total time & distance so it's very hard to tell exactly how far or fast you've been in the main phase. I was busting a gut anyway (cleared 200 BPM at one stage as people have been pointing out with horror on Strava) and eventually started to slow down fairly sure in my own head I had it in the bag.

Get back, cool down, watch gives a happy beep to inform my of a new 5k PB - 25:14.

Spoiler


I'm pretty confident I have it in the bag now if I was to go out and pace it properly. The local ParkRun actually has pacers tomorrow so I might even try it then depending how I feel in the morning.
You can edit the start of the run on strava and it might bring it down!
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 14-02-20, 22:13   #865
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
You've an easy sub 25 5k in you based on that. Don't be worrying about pbs when you're training. Just concentrate on the workout, what it is you're trying to achieve with it.

You were hitting some nice paces there, those are the sort of speeds you'll be well able to sustain in a years time with good solid aerobic training. 22 min 5ks.
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 14-02-20, 22:16   #866
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
Joe, I know it's the 11th hour but are you heading to Corkagh tomorrow?

No biggie if you can't. That dobby lad is likely out on the piss again.
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 22:20   #867
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 14,099
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
You've an easy sub 25 5k in you based on that. Don't be worrying about pbs when you're training. Just concentrate on the workout, what it is you're trying to achieve with it.

You were hitting some nice paces there, those are the sort of speeds you'll be well able to sustain in a years time with good solid aerobic training. 22 min 5ks.
Yeah that's a bit of an issue I have probably because I only get out on my own so rarely but I'm bad at keeping it slow when I'm on my own.

Tbf I'm just enjoying it as something I was never able to do before and it's been brilliant in the winter months. I tend to get very stuck into things the minute I start to make progress!
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 14-02-20, 23:20   #868
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
Ah yeah, it's great craic bursting yourself. I'm guilty of it myself some of the time, particularly at parkrun.

The important thing is knowing that you should run slow and knowing why I suppose. Too many people think eyeballs out all the time is how you get faster, go hard or go home. That's bollox.

Guy the other day was talking to me about the 80/20 principle and how aptly it applies to endurance training, be it cyclists, skiers or runners.

80% of your training needs to be aerobic, 20% anaerobic. The best in the world train this way.

For you with a max HR of 200 that prob means keeping your bpm a good bit <150 80% of the time. Pushing it up towards your max the other 20.

Most people spend far too much, if not all in that higher range.

All the adaptations required for good endurance happen in that 80%. You build power, strength and form in the 20%. Too much time in the higher range and you stagnate and plateau.

Of course enjoy yourself when you feel you're set free, you're likely naturally doing 80/20 by running with your gf most of the time anyway.
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'

Last edited by Lazare; 14-02-20 at 23:23.
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-02-20, 12:31   #869
dobby
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Joe, I know it's the 11th hour but are you heading to Corkagh tomorrow?

No biggie if you can't. That dobby lad is likely out on the piss again.
Lol. Valentines night m8. Was up all night riding sure
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-02-20, 13:34   #870
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
You must have a sore fanny
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 14:36   #871
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
Keano, the race series is open for booking. There's a 4 mile in May added to it this year. 4x races. Ä75 total which is great value.
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-20, 20:41   #872
Goodluck2me
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Joe, I know it's the 11th hour but are you heading to Corkagh tomorrow?

No biggie if you can't. That dobby lad is likely out on the piss again.
Completely forgot about it! Started playing tennis on Saturday mornings at 10 so thatís going to make away fixtures at 9.30 tougher...
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 18-02-20, 20:35   #873
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
Looks like I might be signing up for the Cork half. May 31st which I think is a bank holiday Sunday.

If anyone fancies it.
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 11:41   #874
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast
 
Keane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under the sea
Posts: 14,099
Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Looks like I might be signing up for the Cork half. May 31st which I think is a bank holiday Sunday.

If anyone fancies it.
This, along with all the Race Series (apart from the half-marathon) clashes with other things for me unfortunately. Cycling, weddings and vacations.

In more positive news I smashed through the 25 minute barrier yesterday Same issue (warm-up included on the watch) that caused me to miss the target by ~14 seconds the last time caused me to overshoot the landing considerably this time around and when I eventually finished my cool-down, stopped crying and ended the session the watch tells me I have a new record of 24:19 for 5k

I wish this weather would sort itself out so I could go back to running slow!
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-20, 17:25   #875
Goodluck2me
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
This, along with all the Race Series (apart from the half-marathon) clashes with other things for me unfortunately. Cycling, weddings and vacations.

In more positive news I smashed through the 25 minute barrier yesterday Same issue (warm-up included on the watch) that caused me to miss the target by ~14 seconds the last time caused me to overshoot the landing considerably this time around and when I eventually finished my cool-down, stopped crying and ended the session the watch tells me I have a new record of 24:19 for 5k

I wish this weather would sort itself out so I could go back to running slow!
Good stuff, 22:30 the next barrier!
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 19-02-20, 20:10   #876
Lazare
GFML
 
Lazare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,636
Nice one man, you certainly smashed it. That's all the slow stuff working for you.
__________________
'I'm the ugliest guy, in the Lower East Side. But I've got wheels and you wanna go for a ride'
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 19-02-20, 20:41   #877
dobby
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Looks like I might be signing up for the Cork half. May 31st which I think is a bank holiday Sunday.

If anyone fancies it.
Think a half might be a bridge too far for me this year. I paid my football membership last week so will be going back to play that after the Dunloe 10k this weekend (provided I get knocked out of the poker lol). Wont be able to run Tuesday or Thursday cos of training and will just be sticking to a 10k max at weekends with 5k midweek.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 20:23   #878
dobby
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,605
Lazare ya fucking genius. Been going slower for longer to get the distance into the legs for this race at the weekend. Didnt really feel in form tonight but probably wont get a run in tomorrow or Saturday so just went for 5k and absolutely smashed by 25min target with a 24.09 run. Didnt plan it but put it in when I realised it was on after about 2.5k. Funny thing is, that's down from 28mins in January and I feel like I could go do it again. Lol. Buzzing here.
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-20, 20:28   #879
BennyHiFi
Member
 
BennyHiFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,081
Anybody run in India? Heading to Pune and Bangalore next week. Will probably bring running gear despite advice from nurse not to this time as i won't get my rabies jab until next time (hastily arranged trip).

Staying in fancy work hotel so guessing the terrain and localities shouldn't be too bad.

Are violent mangy mutts that common?
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:21   #880
tylerdurden94
Ad-Min-Is-Trator Yo!
 
tylerdurden94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dillon - Texas
Posts: 21,558
Afternoon gents, getting married in a couple months and took up running in December and started using the Get Running app, I've just finished week 8 and moving onto the last bit of the running program where I'll be running for 30 minutes straight.

My missus and her friend had been running for awhile with the app so thought it was a good option for me to try and do it while I was away working and to get active. I'm glad I've been sticking with it and delighted that I'm able to do 28 minutes.

Surprisingly I've actually been enjoying the running and looking to keep pushing on with it. The majority of my running has been done in the gym on a treadmill and I've no doubt that running outside will be a totally different ball game.

Just looking to get some tips/advice as I'm finding my breathing a bit difficult to manage when I'm starting to push pass 15 minutes, what's the best way to increase my endurance and how to quicken my pace?

All help greatly appreciated
__________________
"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)
tylerdurden94 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:09.