• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"attempted scam by illegal immigrant goes wrong"

that's what I read anyway
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Not enough information given there to form an opinion one way or the other.
      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
        Not enough information given there to form an opinion one way or the other.
        You serious?
        What more information do you need, the bet was placed late after the draw had taken place. Its clearly void.

Most interesting thing for me is that it made it into the Tribune at all - if the paper doesn't understand such as a simple issue as an after-timed bet then how accurate are they when they come to do indepth writing on serious financial topics.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          You serious?
          What more information do you need, the bet was placed late after the draw had taken place. Its clearly void.

Most interesting thing for me is that it made it into the Tribune at all - if the paper doesn't understand such as a simple issue as an after-timed bet then how accurate are they when they come to do indepth writing on serious financial topics.
          check out Simon Kelly's column on the back of the business section for the poroof of this (i.e. not accurate at all)

Comment

Originally posted by greywolf View Post
            pretty standard from ladbrokes,i have placed small bets with them in the past and when i have gone back to claim my winnings ,i have been told they wont pay out cause they were accepted late.cunts is the word that comes to mind.

Comment

You serious?

what about the times i have placed bets that could be classed late that dont win,when i go back in do they call me and say that bet was late even tho u didnt win here is your money back,i dont think so.

Comment

You serious?

I don't understand how the bet was accepted. Did the guy do this bet and these numbers everyday. Was the draw on tv before he placed his bet or is the off time not the time that the draw is shown at?

There are many things we don't know here.

Was the guy in the shop before the off time? If he wasn't then he was more than likely scamming.
                'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by peteypop View Post
                  what about the times i have placed bets that could be classed late that dont win,when i go back in do they call me and say that bet was late even tho u didnt win here is your money back,i dont think so.
                  This is a different issue to that where you do a bet after half a furlong of a 12F race (and I accept that Ladbrokes may be a bit cheeky here voiding winners and keeping losers).

In this case the draw had taken place 'a few minutes earlier'.

Guys a scammer.

Comment

I don't understand how the bet was accepted.
                    The system may have changed but back in my everyday punting days they worked on the basis of accepting all proferred dockets and money, and only checking afterwards whether the timing was good.

No other way they could do it, impossible to check every docket when 10 people rush up to the counter as the last few horses are getting loaded.

Comment

The system may have changed but back in my everyday punting days they worked on the basis of accepting all proferred dockets and money, and only checking afterwards whether the timing was good.

No other way they could do it, impossible to check every docket when 10 people rush up to the counter as the last few horses are getting loaded.
                      I notice you omitted the rest of my post which is information we don't have.

Also the reason I'm not so quick to dismiss it as scamming is that the guy has hired legal representation, a con artist wouldn't go that far I don't think.

Comment

I don't understand how the bet was accepted. Did the guy do this bet and these numbers everyday. Was the draw on tv before he placed his bet or is the off time not the time that the draw is shown at?

There are many things we don't know here.

Was the guy in the shop before the off time? If he wasn't then he was more than likely scamming.
                        There is a countdown clock for the 49's draw so if it was late the draw had already started. Cashier shouldn't have taken it but they still don't have to pay out and his bet is void.

Edit: he may not have specified which draw he wanted it on so the cashier probably thought it was for the evening draw as morning draw was over!
                        Last edited by The Situation; 17-05-10, 13:58.
                        Profit before people.

Comment

no doubt the customer has no case he was late for a numbers draw, that he was probaly watching prior to placing the bet, case closed

Comment

I know that guy he delivers for my local Chinese takeaway.
                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                              I know that guy he delivers for my local Chinese takeaway.
                              check your change imo

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                check your change imo
                                Its always spot on they do a lovely deep fried smoked corn chicken

Although the Irish delivery guy did short change me one time, fucking spud eating mick!
                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                  Its always spot on they do a lovely deep fried smoked corn chicken

Although the Irish delivery guy did short change me one time, fucking spud eating mick!
                                  bog-trotting thick little paddy

we should send Cromwell back in to sort them out imo

Comment

Bookies want it both ways, i have two dockets at home totaling €100 one from both paddypower bookies in wicklow town. both time stamped after the off so by their own rules are void to which i should get a refund. both managers refused refunds, requested in writing from paddypower head office and still refused with the old if they had of won they would have paid trick bs so now i'm onto the same crowd to get a refund but either way refund of not i'm lodging a complaint to the courts when it comes time for them to renew their bookmakers licences already been to see the seargent in wicklow town to get the details of when it due to be renewed and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Donkathon View Post
                                      Bookies want it both ways, i have two dockets at home totaling €100 one from both paddypower bookies in wicklow town. both time stamped after the off so by their own rules are void to which i should get a refund. both managers refused refunds, requested in writing from paddypower head office and still refused with the old if they had of won they would have paid trick bs so now i'm onto the same crowd to get a refund but either way refund of not i'm lodging a complaint to the courts when it comes time for them to renew their bookmakers licences already been to see the seargent in wicklow town to get the details of when it due to be renewed and stuff.
                                      just lodge a Small Claims Court case (costs a tenner or something), write to PP and tell them you'll be inviting a few reporters along

I did this with Aer Lingus a couple of years ago (were ignoring my requests for a refund) and got the money instantly

Comment

How long was the race? Was is a 5 furlong sprint or +2mile race. How long after the off did you place your bet?
                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Bookies are under no obligation to pay out on any bet under Irish law as far as I am aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekop Dog View Post
                                            How long was the race? Was is a 5 furlong sprint or +2mile race. How long after the off did you place your bet?
                                            I too would be interested to hear the answer to this.

Comment

I don't understand how you don't understand.

It was placed two minutes late.
                                              Considering that it takes a bit of time to get a docket filled out and queue up it is almost a cert that he was in the bookies for the draw or does he want us to believe that he had just rang in off the street, up to the counter, pinged 3 numbers out of the air the the tiny window available, and then left?????
                                              Look at the shape of him, he clearly lives in the bookies.

Also the reason I'm not so quick to dismiss it as scamming is that the guy has hired legal representation, a con artist wouldn't go that far I don't think.
                                              Pro bono, paid for by the paper etc etc

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                              Bookies are under no obligation to pay out on any bet under Irish law as far as I am aware.
                                              You are right. It's a gentleman's agreement, so to speak.
                                              But obviously, a company would do far more damage than to themselves by taking this angle, if they bet was entitled to get paid. Money saved on winnings would be outweighed by lost custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                I don't understand how you don't understand.

It was placed two minutes late.
                                                Considering that it takes a bit of time to get a docket filled out and queue up it is almost a cert that he was in the bookies for the draw or does he want us to believe that he had just rang in off the street, up to the counter, pinged 3 numbers out of the air the the tiny window available, and then left?????
                                                There is no information apart from the 2 minutes and 2 seconds late in the article. As I said if he came in and placed the bet after the results were known then clearly he is a scammer but we don't know that. Is it possible that this off time was over 2 minutes 2 seconds before the draw actually took place or over 2 minutes 2 seconds before it was actually shown in the bookie office?
                                                The information is not there for us to make our minds up. I don't see why a national newspaper would print this if there was nothing to it.

Look at the shape of him, he clearly lives in the bookies.
                                                You know what somebody does all day based on one picture

Pro bono, paid for by the paper etc etc
                                                Where did you get that information from? Its not in the article.

Comment

The duty of care is on the customer to make sure that the bet he is placing is valid. It is simply not possible for a betting shop cashier to adequately ensure the validity of every bet they accept. Sometimes this results in customers being disappointed, but it's something that a bookie has to deal with.

I'm not sure why the Indo thinks this is news. I worked as a cashier for two years and this was a regular occurance. Knowing them there's an agenda of some sort. Probably building up a well of public outrage in time for new gambling regulations to come in.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I work as a cashier myself in a bookies. He hasn't got a clue of scamming if this was an attempt of his. There's many ways to scam in the bookies but placing a straight bet on the 49s is a ridiculous attempt.

Comment

I honestly cant believe this made the papers.

I mean 2min and 2seconds late sure if he did win that case everyone in the country would wait for a draw to finished fill out the numbers hand it in docket to a friend scan it walk out and come back in and collect.PS if you were going to do it be better off picking 6 numbers.

I mean anyone that knows anything about gambling would know that they dont have time to check every docket as it scanned so easy to have situation where dockets are late.

Comment

There is no information apart from the 2 minutes and 2 seconds late in the article. As I said if he came in and placed the bet after the results were known then clearly he is a scammer but we don't know that. Is it possible that this off time was over 2 minutes 2 seconds before the draw actually took place or over 2 minutes 2 seconds before it was actually shown in the bookie office?
                                                        The information is not there for us to make our minds up. I don't see why a national newspaper would print this if there was nothing to it.
                                                        THey let you bet right up until the off in these bets generally.

You know what somebody does all day based on one picture
                                                        I was hardly serious

Where did you get that information from? Its not in the article
                                                        Suggesting a possibility. Never said it was fact.

Comment

Originally posted by peteypop View Post
                                                          Actually this happened to me once. And normally if I'm placing a bet after the off I tell the cashier and get him / her to check to see if the bet is on BEFORE the end of the race

By this logic place every bet 15 seconds after the off in a 3 mile chase and if you don't win claim a refund...

Good look in the courts with the local Garda. They're normally punters

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                            more details required imo
                                                            first was a virtual hourse race and second was a dog race, both only a few seconds late but the point is it is up on every paddypower bookies in their own rules if it time stamped passed the off the bet is void. yes mine were low stakes as such but if there was 10k at stake the bookies would have no bother turning around and refunding the stake and not honour the bet.

Comment

first was a virtual hourse race and second was a dog race, both only a few seconds late but the point is it is up on every paddypower bookies in their own rules if it time stamped passed the off the bet is void. yes mine were low stakes as such but if there was 10k at stake the bookies would have no bother turning around and refunding the stake and not honour the bet.
                                                              Lol are you joking??
                                                              A dog race only last seconds, after the off is clearly not valid
                                                              Virtual racing is made up of only a few "races" repeated. Clearly after the off is not allow here.

One bookies allowed bets like that on virtual racing before and lost a fortune as punters could cop who'd win after a few seconds

Comment

Lol this reminds me of a time when I was younger, myself and some friends where at Limerick races at Christmas and we backed a horse at Leopardstown with the Ladbrokes shop on course. My mate put the bet on but was a wee bit late because of a queue at the desk. Horse finished second only, he was about to throw away the docket. I said hang on, went up to the desk and said this was put on late, and so is voided and I wanted a refund. The manager wasn't impressed but I didn't give a shite. He was saying 'If the horse won, you'd be looking to be paid out'. 'Yeah, well obviously' says I.
                                                                I reckon cashiers in bookies make some amount of drinking money off uncollected void bets.

And with the extent bookies try to manipulate some of the weakest in society, it would have to be a very extraordinary case for me to feel any sympathy for them.

Comment

fwiw I have no experience in sports terms and conditions but I just found this in the sports terms and conditions after a quick search - quite clear if you ask me?!

Originally posted by PP Terms &Conditions

Late bets

Bets are accepted up to the off-time of the event or a pre-determined time whichever the earlier. Any bet inadvertently accepted after the betting has closed or where the event was resolved or at a stage where the customer could have any indication of the outcome will be settled at the correct price at the time the bet was placed. The correct price will be determined by Paddy Power's trading department. Bets placed after the final event result is known will be voided.Should there be a dispute over the off-time of an event/market where an official starting time is not given by that sports governing body, then the time that Paddy Power determines the event to have started will govern settlement of all bets. .

Comment

If this is the case you should have been refunded but I find it very unlikely they wouldn't. LOL at backing virtual though, and if your that big a degen something tells me you would have prob lost that money eventually anyway!

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                    I reckon cashiers in bookies make some amount of drinking money off uncollected void bets.
                                                                    Cashiers would get fired on the spot if found collecting void bets from the system. All bookies have security departments to make sure this doesn't happen. Money goes back to the company if bets aren't collected within six months or something like that!
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

This is correct but I'm one of the cashiers that will call a punter back telling him or her that they've money due back. Sure last night I gave €216.66 to a customer who thought he had backed a loser on Saturday but in fact had backed a winner. He didn't know about it as he felt he had made a mistake on the docket.

Originally posted by Rekop Dog View Post
                                                                      Money goes back to the company if bets aren't collected within six months or something like that!
                                                                      Not that it matters but in England the void bets go to charity which is a hell of alot of cash.

Comment

Lol are you joking??
                                                                        A dog race only last seconds, after the off is clearly not valid
                                                                        Virtual racing is made up of only a few "races" repeated. Clearly after the off is not allow here.

One bookies allowed bets like that on virtual racing before and lost a fortune as punters could cop who'd win after a few seconds
                                                                        were you not paying attention to the other posts? my dockets are late still have the dockets but paddypowers wont refund them sayin if they had of won they would have paid

Comment

were you not paying attention to the other posts? my dockets are late still have the dockets but paddypowers wont refund them sayin if they had of won they would have paid
                                                                          how late were they?

what distance was the race?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornswaggl View Post
                                                                            how late were they?

what distance was the race?

late is late by there own rules and the bets are void and should be refunded no matter how late

Comment

#39
                                                                              [QUOTE=Donkathon;82669]late is late by there own rules and the bets are void and should be refunded no matter how late[/QU

i think your bets should be refunded as i dont think you would have got paid if they won, it would be different if it was a horse race as i think you get paid if said horse wins if you are not overly late imo

Comment

#40
                                                                                why the resistance to state by how late the bets were placed?
                                                                                one by think 3 seconds and the other 6,

late is late and by your own rules are void but refused refunds by the shops & yourselves in head office

doesnt matter how late it it by your own rules they are void and if i had of won you would have perfectly legit grounds not to pay

Comment

#41
                                                                                  have you tried ringing Joe Duffy?
                                                                                  typical pp attitude

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I have a feeling their is more to this story than we are being told!

Comment

#43
                                                                                      I have a feeling their is more to this story than we are being told!
                                                                                      what more is there to tell? both dockets are late nothing more to it.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Whats clear though is there is a grey area that exists and it shouldn't exist. If you place a bet even 1 second late you should be refunded your money, and if it wins then there can be no complaints about not getting paid as the rule is stictly adhered to.

This would lead to people making sure they placed their bets on time.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Donkathon is an angle-shooting joke imo.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            one by think 3 seconds and the other 6,

late is late and by your own rules are void but refused refunds by the shops & yourselves in head office

doesnt matter how late it it by your own rules they are void and if i had of won you would have perfectly legit grounds not to pay
                                                                                            lol
                                                                                            Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                            I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                            None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Donkathon is angle shooting a bit here, but angle shooting isn't covered in the rule book. Refund the money imo!

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Donkathon is angle shooting a bit here, but angle shooting isn't covered in the rule book. Refund the money imo!
                                                                                                Well its going to be an expensive €100 for the shops if my objecting to the renewal of there licence in september is excepted in the district court.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Anyway i'm pretty confident that the IBAS is going to rule in my favour over this becasue its black and white with the rules but i'm just going to put the €100 towards the cost of filing the objectin anyway

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Ive just been in Paddy Power, they now do betting in running on horse racing, in other news ul noel 4th thought he would win at one stage!

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Ive just been in Paddy Power, they now do betting in running on horse racing, in other news ul noel 4th thought he would win at one stage!
                                                                                                      Yep been doing betting in running for a while now but the time stamp is when no more bets are accepted (after the betting in running is finished) like mine.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        I hope you get nothing and get black listed from every bookmaker in the country.
                                                                                                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          are you willing to bet on the outcome of your appeal to IBAS? you seem very confident, are you giving odds?
                                                                                                          lol

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                                                                            I hope you get nothing and get black listed from every bookmaker in the country.
                                                                                                            Why? Surely it doesn't affect you in anyway if Donkathon has a hundred extra quid or not.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Why? Surely it doesn't affect you in anyway if Donkathon has a hundred extra quid or not.
                                                                                                              Because hes being a scamming numpty from the sound of it.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Because hes being a scamming numpty from the sound of it.
                                                                                                                If it has no consequences to you though I don't know why you would wish that. I mean it's clearly at best an angle shoot, but I don't see why you would want a guy you don't know blacklisted from bookies. Just seems a little bitter to me, that is all.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  If it has no consequences to you though I don't know why you would wish that. I mean it's clearly at best an angle shoot, but I don't see why you would want a guy you don't know blacklisted from bookies. Just seems a little bitter to me, that is all.
                                                                                                                  What would i have to be bitter about, as you say i dont know this guy at all.
                                                                                                                  I just dont like seeing crap like this, thought most people would have the same view tbh.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    What would i have to be bitter about, as you say i dont know this guy at all.
                                                                                                                    I just dont like seeing crap like this, thought most people would have the same view tbh.
                                                                                                                    I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I don't know whether it was intentionally late or what. If the sole intention was for it to be late and essentially get a free bet, than yeah it's wrong. But even then I couldn't really care if he gets his money back or not.

If it was an accident then I think he should get it back. In the same way the story I posted yesterday about my friend who put on the bet for us on the one docket, was put through late (significantly, I think it was 2 fences into a 3 mile chase), I thought there was a chance it was void so I checked. Don't see much wrong with that tbh.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Yeah i think you were in the wrong there too, maybe not technically but its still dishonest.
                                                                                                                      You obv know this already though.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Yeah i think you were in the wrong there too, maybe not technically but its still dishonest.
                                                                                                                        You obv know this already though.
                                                                                                                        I wasn't putting the bet on. There were 3 of us backing the horse and we just put it on one docket. Scrum at the cashiers desk when he went to put it on. FWIW I would very much doubt we would have been paid out had he won (remember the horse now, it was Publican, so 2m not 3m). This is the only time I've had a situation like this might I add. I certainly wasn't trying to scam them, but if a bet is void I'd rather have the money than Ladbrokes.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X