30 day plank challange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 day plank challange

This is not a personal log, but just thought I throw this up if anyone is interested in doing this themselves they can talk about it here and how they are getting on.

Am only on day 3 myself and doubt I be able to get to the 5 mins but am just trying to see how far I can go.

I would be interested to hear if anyone here has done it and know how they found it.

So far so good. GL to anyone else who take it up.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

How do you plank?

Comment

A quick cheat. The wider your arms and legs are, the more difficult it is. Keep them wide at the earlier stages so you can bring them closer and go for longer when the time goes up.

Or is the whole point to keep them at the same level for the 30 days?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
        A quick cheat. The wider your arms and legs are, the more difficult it is. Keep them wide at the earlier stages so you can bring them closer and go for longer when the time goes up.

Or is the whole point to keep them at the same level for the 30 days?
        Don't think that matters too much. I think the point is to keep the belly off the floor.
        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Day 5 complete. So far so good. Next step 45 after day break. No discomfort yet.

Comment

Will give this a go, will not do as well as you, ive barely ever worked my core like that so now's the time to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
              Will give this a go, will not do as well as you, ive barely ever worked my core like that so now's the time to start.
              GL with it. Dobby gave a tip about not having the elbows too far apart. That makes it a little easier.

Comment

Started it yesterday. Will be fun to see how long it takes to get to 5 minutes if I don't do it on day 30.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                  How do you plank?

Comment

FULL 12 WEEK PUSH,PULL,LEGS PROGRAM!- BUILD MUSCLE & STRENGTH! - http://goo.gl/X8HeL5FULL 12 WEEK MUSCLE BUILDING 4 DAY SPLIT PROGRAM: http://goo.gl/6AlH84Tw...

Comment

@pokerhand - if you get up to 5mins , fair play to ya. glgl.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                        @pokerhand - if you get up to 5mins , fair play to ya. glgl.
                        Doubt I be able to, but sure nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

stay safe
                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                            Lol, not the same but thanks for the concern

Comment

...Day 1 was about 25/30 seconds... I have my elbows Right, but not too sure about how high to have my body...think it's straight though...and fuck it's hard to breathe when doing it...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                ...Day 1 was about 25/30 seconds... I have my elbows Right, but not too sure about how high to have my body...think it's straight though...and fuck it's hard to breathe when doing it...
                                In through the nose. Out through the mouth and keep your neck and head straight. You should be looking straight down onto your hands. You'll know if you're body isn't right. Either your back will hurt if your hips drop or you will find it too easy if they're too high. Don't forget to suck in your stomach to work the core when doing it.

I think that's about right

Comment

In through the nose. Out through the mouth and keep your neck and head straight. You should be looking straight down onto your hands. You'll know if you're body isn't right. Either your back will hurt if your hips drop or you will find it too easy if they're too high. Don't forget to suck in your stomach to work the core when doing it.

I think that's about right
                                  ...definitely didn't find it too easy lol...I tried breathing in and out with just mouth...thanks...

Comment

...Day 2; 35 Seconds ...Actually not sure if I should stop at 20 seconds or keep going as long as possible...think I should stop tomorrow if I hit 30 seconds...
                                    ...and for the crack I'm trying the push up/sit up challenge too (someone said its to get to 100 of them)...
                                    ...Considering I've done 0 exercise since I turned 18 I reckon this will be an embarrassing failure...

Comment

...Day 2; 35 Seconds ...Actually not sure if I should stop at 20 seconds or keep going as long as possible...think I should stop tomorrow if I hit 30 seconds...
                                      ...and for the crack I'm trying the push up/sit up challenge too (someone said its to get to 100 of them)...
                                      ...Considering I've done 0 exercise since I turned 18 I reckon this will be an embarrassing failure...
                                      Fair play to ya. Just stick to the times imo. No need to kill yourself early. You'll have to push yourself soon enough.

Have the girlfriend doing this too. I bet her she couldn't do a 30 second plank and she did so she's gonna join in the rest of it now.

Comment

Best of luck with this.

Comment

Day 7 - 45secs completed. Very slight trembling but no discomfort. Keeping the elbows in does really make it easier than the 1st couple of days.

Comment

It seems like a big jump on Day 12 from 60 to 90 seconds, probably the toughest part of the challenge?
                                            "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
                                              It seems like a big jump on Day 12 from 60 to 90 seconds, probably the toughest part of the challenge?
                                              Yeah but there's 3 days of 60 seconds so you could increase to 70 and 80 seconds if you liked. Last three days look tough to me. 240, 270 300. No time to get used to one single time

Comment

First phase down. No problems so far. Finding it pretty easy. Looking forward to getting over the 60 second mark.

Comment

...Day 4 completed for me on my 3 challenges...Planking isn't overly hard, and sit ups easy enough...but the push ups are absolutely horrendous for Me...had to take a 30 second break halfway through my pressups then finish them off...not sure if it counts as completed or failed since I took the break..

Comment

...Day 4 completed for me on my 3 challenges...Planking isn't overly hard, and sit ups easy enough...but the push ups are absolutely horrendous for Me...had to take a 30 second break halfway through my pressups then finish them off...not sure if it counts as completed or failed since I took the break..
                                                    You only fail if you don't try at all so well done for finishing them. I absolutely hate push ups but they're worth it so stick with them. They'll build your arm strength to help with the longer planks too.

Comment

Well done so far. If you vary the width of your hands a little on the push-ups, you can vary the amount of work on your triceps/shoulders/chest. This may help you find a happy medium/compromise ...

Comment

If ye get comfortable with these a nice variation is to keep moving from the plank position to the push up position and back again.
                                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                          If ye get comfortable with these a nice variation is to keep moving from the plank position to the push up position and back again.
                                                          We do that in our circuit classes. Very good workout.

Comment

alright, I give it a go too, starting today with this plank challenge - there is a good chance I may die in the process
                                                            "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

GL vipereye.

Day 8 day completed.

Day 9: 60 secs completed.

Toughest one yet. Didn't help that I am seriously hungover from yesterday. Note to self: drink less. Look ahead, that jump to day 12 of 90 secs looks ridiculous, might make day 11 75 secs to ease it in.

Comment

...2 day update...
                                                                ..Day 4 was ok, hit 30 seconds planking, 22 press ups and 30 sit ups... Didn't manage to do it yesterday due to being drunk at 13:00; so made yesterday my break day and today my day 5 to keep on track.. The 40 seconds planking wasn't as bad as I thought...managed 26 press ups (14 then 12)... Stopped at 25 sit ups but this was more down to feeling like I need to puke than anything else (drinking since Friday wasn't helpful)...
                                                                ...next set of days will be Key for me, as I figured I'd have been bored by now but seem to actually look forward to it for some random reason...
                                                                ...strangely posting here is a good motivation, so kudos for the thread...

Comment

...2 day update...
                                                                  ..Day 4 was ok, hit 30 seconds planking, 22 press ups and 30 sit ups... Didn't manage to do it yesterday due to being drunk at 13:00; so made yesterday my break day and today my day 5 to keep on track.. The 40 seconds planking wasn't as bad as I thought...managed 26 press ups (14 then 12)... Stopped at 25 sit ups but this was more down to feeling like I need to puke than anything else (drinking since Friday wasn't helpful)...
                                                                  ...next set of days will be Key for me, as I figured I'd have been bored by now but seem to actually look forward to it for some random reason...
                                                                  ...strangely posting here is a good motivation, so kudos for the thread...
                                                                  Yeah, it is surpising fun and thread is good for motivation.
                                                                  Day 10 - 60 secs completed. A lot easier than yesterday thankfully. The no beer helps. Gonna make tomorrow 70 secs I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                    GL vipereye.

Day 8 day completed.

Day 9: 60 secs completed.

Toughest one yet. Didn't help that I am seriously hungover from yesterday. Note to self: drink less. Look ahead, that jump to day 12 of 90 secs looks ridiculous, might make day 11 75 secs to ease it in.
                                                                    going for 90" tomorrow, right?

I actually removed the initial two 20" days and started the challenge at 30" and will use those two days to add 75" sessions in between 60" and 90" which really looks too much of a jump in one go.

Comment

I actually removed the initial two 20" days and started the challenge at 30" and will use those two days to add 75" sessions in between 60" and 90" which really looks too much of a jump in one go.
                                                                      Smaller stack, longer levels?

Comment

Was at the game yesterday so didn't do day 7. I did day 7 this morning when I woke up and will do day 8 this evening sometime. It felt pretty hard this morning. But I was never a morning person so not surprising. Enjoying it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                          Smaller stack, longer levels?
                                                                          hahahaha

Comment

That looks reasonable. I guess the 20" ones are for those with poor core or those who havent planned before.

Just did day 11 For 70". Definitely getting harder. Going for the 90" tomorrow...

Comment

#39
                                                                              Just did day 8. Bumped it up to 60 seconds so I can go 60, 70, 80 for the next three days to build up for 90. Felt the pinch at 60.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Good challenge, core strength is seriously under rated.
                                                                                I keep meaning to start doing some quick bodyweight stuff in the morning inc. a set of planking, but I never remember when I wake.

Might jump in to this to get started

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Day 12 - 90"

Holy sweet Jesus, that was tough. Did it after I woke up this morning and failed on 75". Tried again after a min break and fell on 45". Blamed it on no breakfast and a lack of energy.

Tried again during lunchtime and was successful (barely!) after 80" could feel my lower back starting to ache and arms were trembling a little... Was begging for the time to be up. The belly did dip for an instant but thankfully recovered. Happily have a day break and repeat in two days. Given how tough that was, am feeling doubtful if I get the 300" in 30 days. Might be double that timeframe but will stick to the plan. The overall aim will be to get to 300" regardless of time.
                                                                                  Last edited by pokerhand; 07-07-15, 19:40.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Day 12 - 90"

Holy sweet Jesus, that was tough. Did it after I woke up this morning and failed on 75". Tried again after a min break and fell on 45". Blamed it on no breakfast and a lack of energy.

Tried again during lunchtime and was successful (barely!) after 80" could feel my lower back starting to ache and arms were trembling a little... Was begging for the time to be up. The belly did dip for an instant but thankfully recovered. Happily have a day break and repeat in two days. Given how tough that was, am feeling doubtful if I get the 300" in 30 days. Might be double that timeframe but will stick to the plan. The overall aim will be to get to 300" regardless of time.
                                                                                    ...Damn it's impressive for you to try a second time, but a 3rd?...That's proper dedication, fair play to you man...

Comment

#43
                                                                                      ...Damn it's impressive for you to try a second time, but a 3rd?...That's proper dedication, fair play to you man...
                                                                                      Thanks, think part of reason for no energy was due to driving for 5 hours yesterday and then going for a 5k run. Will be doing another 5k run later and then rest tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a lot easier in two days when the batteries are recharged.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        It fecking embarrassing that despite being able to plank and doing 5k runs that I still can't do a single solitary push up. Never have done one in my life despite many attempts including last night .

Hopefully will be able to do one in a few weeks as the planking progress.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Going to jump into this today, I was thinking because its the 8th that day 8 makes sense.
                                                                                          The plan is to at lest do this while I'm in vegas, 50/50 shot atm

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Completed Day 5 today (30-30-40-45-45), no major problems and looking forward to go for 60 tomorrow which I think it starts to be tougher. I will then take a day break and then go for 60-60-75-75-90-90, at the moment I believe getting to 90 by next week is going to be really really hard!

Comment

#47
                                                                                              This looked interesting but didn't think of it until today so did day 8 it being the 8th July. I need to change the settings on my phone so I can still see the stopwatch after a few seconds. It was 1:30 when I checked it to see how I was doing, so I should be okay for a while.

I remember the first time ever doing planks about a year and a half ago 45 seconds seemed so hard. I think doing yoga must have helped with my core.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Day 14 - 90" completed.

Was slightly easier than last time in that I had no fails and was able to do it 1st go. It is still hard and Definately felt the pinch. Not sure how to handle the next step up but will take on when it comes. Part of the problem is mental as you are ticking off the secs in your head.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Dobby, you and the gf still doing it? Tar?

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I am. She's not. I didn't have anything to add to what's been said so didn't update. Going for a session with my PT tonight so will ask him to time me and see how long I can hold it for.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Reached 2 mins 45 secs. Absolutely rattling at that. Felt damn good to go that far though. Looking forward to the challenge even more now.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        I didn't do it yet as my exercise routine has me in bits most days - just started doing weights and core, so I'm leaving off on it for a bit (I do 2x30sec planks as part of the exercise so they will keep me going for now ). Looking forward to doing it though.

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Day 15 (halfway mark).

saw that day 16 was 120" so decided to bump today up to 100". Completed. Was easier than yesterday surprising, helped I think by thinking about other stuff rather than the secs.

Bring on tomorrow and 120"

p.s. when I found the plank and did a pre challange plank to see how it works... Could only do 10". We have come a long way

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            does any of you feel any pain to the lower back while doing plank? today was my second day at 60" and towards the end I started feeling some pain at the back, not a big deal for now but could be really annoying as time increases, so I was just wondering if this is normal?

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              does any of you feel any pain to the lower back while doing plank? today was my second day at 60" and towards the end I started feeling some pain at the back, not a big deal for now but could be really annoying as time increases, so I was just wondering if this is normal?
                                                                                                              If this is happening, your back is bent. Usually too low. Try raising the hips just a touch should sort it.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                If this is happening, your back is bent. Usually too low. Try raising the hips just a touch should sort it.

Great, thanks!

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Day 16 - 120" complete.

Surprising easier than yesterday, don't know if it is because I am getting used to it or I am too high. Will check that tomorrow, kinda hard to do when doing it in the bedroom with no mirror.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    ...Couple of days to post on... Day 8- Planking and Sit ups were grand, press ups were an absolute nightmare but reached my target...
                                                                                                                    ...Day 9- Maxed out at 95 seconds on planking, kinda wanted to see how far I could go so happy with that.. sit ups were piss easy, I counted 50 but my brother said it was closer to 70 (lost count a couple of times)... I can safely say I will not be reaching 100 press ups, or even close to it... I managed 16, then after a minute break managed another 6!!!!... Did 13 last night just to reach my 35 target, but a 10 hour break between them kinda doesn't make it fair lol...
                                                                                                                    ...Actually while typing I think I might do my press ups first and see how it goes... Originally planking was the sole aim so did it first but todays target of 60 seconds shouldn't pose too much of an issue...
                                                                                                                    ...Kudos to everyone that is doing it so far, roll on break day :-)...

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Phew... Today wasn't that easy, definately not too high. Compteled though. Roll on tomorrow for the 150" and then day break.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        When you guys fail, what is it that makes you drop? The only thing holding me back is lower back pain, I'm fine until a minute when I tried today, must be dropping it but if I try and fix it it's too late.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X