Clothes make the man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothes make the man.

Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Mark Twain

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
    But not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy,
    For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

Hamlet Act 1, Scene 3

Okay I asked for some opinions on starting this thread in the BBV and received some useful feedback. Some people felt, with good reason, that it was unnecessary duplication of what was already out there on the interwebz, but personally I think it would be useful to collate good advice and information for those buying and altering clothes as a lot of interesting information on the subject has been posted in the BBV over the years but it does tend to get lost and forgotten and hard to find when you actually need it!

Plus having an Irish perspective on tailoring services and availability would be something I'd find useful.

In addition, I'm doing a bit of homework in this area at present so I think it's worthwhile to post my findings as it might save someone else the spadework and I may learn how to do something easier thanks to other posters contributing to this thread.

Obviously there are a number of great blogs and useful websites which people could bring to everyone's attention which it would be useful to include in this post over time (perhaps a little bit of background on the blog or website so people can judge its relevance or usefulness to them would be good too)

I'll start the ball rolling on some useful blogs/websites here and if people have sites to add or reviews of tailors/clothiers/retailers a link could be added in by a kindly mod in time.

Blog Roll

The Sartorialist

A pretty cool photo style blog by Scott Schumann. Mainly photographing street style in Milan, Florence, New York and Paris. Male & Female.

Permanent Style

A fantastic blog covering bespoke tailoring and so much more by Simon Crompton. Mainly London based but covers Europe and NY as well. Great reviews and educational articles.

Real Men. Real Style

An earnest american style site which is aimed at a more mainstream audience but has useful bits and pieces if a little long winded.

How to build a wardrobe - The art of manliness blog

A good jump off article on an american site that I have now added to my RSS reader as it's articles are of a consistently decent standard and depth whilst obviously covering a wider range of topics then just clothing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice
    In the sidebar, there is loads of helpful stuff.
    Last edited by V for Vendetta; 29-08-12, 22:59.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Good job

I will add

In the sidebar, there is loads of helpfull stuff.

I like reading this stuff and still dressing like a bum

Comment

Super stuff Olly hopefully it works out will be interesting for sure, question & answer type thing as well?

I'm always on the look out for a decent belt as you know myself isn't the most debonair dresser around, anywhere I should be looking? If you could tailor the response to brick & mortar stores that would be handy as I don't have easy access to a credit card, or if there is something online that you do recommend highly I could probably ask a friend for their card.
      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

are top hats coming back anytime soon?

Comment

For all the haters
          Bunk got this

Bunk and McNulty discuss Vondas' attire. (Season 2, Episode 11 "Bad Dreams")

Comment

Galvins is a cracking shop to be fair. Stumbled in there one day when visiting the oul lad in his old job.
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
              Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Mark Twain

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
              But not expressed in fancy—rich, not gaudy,
              For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

Hamlet Act 1, Scene 3
              "I will punish ... all such as are clothed with strange apparel." --Zephaniah 1:8

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." -- Deuteronomy 22:5
              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

My mate in London swears by this place.

Discover our wedding, formal suits, tuxedos, and custom suits crafted from premium Italian fabrics. Shop In-Store or Online.

Comment

So I generally wear White Double Cuff shirts to work. Nothing fancy and just tbh make means nothing to me on these.

Generally I want something with a tapered fit as I am still fortunate with my metabolism and diet choices to be skinny.

I pick up a few with each new suit but have a few that I need to retire soon so will probably get another 5 to keep my quota up.

Long story short where is a good place for bulk buying them or should I just get them when I get a new suit as the more stuff you buy the more they will give you in discount?

Comment

you've to wear clothes in proportion to your physique. There are definite dos and don'ts, good buddy of wearing a bold striped shirt. A bold stripe shirt calls for solid colored or discreetly patterned suits and ties.
                    Always tip the stylist 15%, don't tip the owner of the salon.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                      So I generally wear White Double Cuff shirts to work. Nothing fancy and just tbh make means nothing to me on these.

Generally I want something with a tapered fit as I am still fortunate with my metabolism and diet choices to be skinny.

I pick up a few with each new suit but have a few that I need to retire soon so will probably get another 5 to keep my quota up.

Long story short where is a good place for bulk buying them or should I just get them when I get a new suit as the more stuff you buy the more they will give you in discount?
                      What's your budget spend per shirt Richie? Would you be prepared to go bespoke?
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                        Super stuff Olly hopefully it works out will be interesting for sure, question & answer type thing as well?

I'm always on the look out for a decent belt as you know myself isn't the most debonair dresser around, anywhere I should be looking? If you could tailor the response to brick & mortar stores that would be handy as I don't have easy access to a credit card, or if there is something online that you do recommend highly I could probably ask a friend for their card.
                        I haven't researched belts yet Danny. But I will do soon and report back.

I'm going to do a long post on shoes, one on custom shirts and one on suits as that's what I've done some research on to date. If anyone has a niche area they want to do a post on that would be great.

Comment

What's your budget spend per shirt Richie? Would you be prepared to go bespoke?
                          Dont really have a budget in mind but don't really want to go crazy for work shirts. I guess less than €100 a pop is what I would have imagined but getting a discount or a few ties thrown in for buying bulk.

If I move away from straight IT I would consider it but I think wearing jeans and a tshirt would be better for my candidates as it would match their dress closer but that is a different story.

In terms having 2 or 3 good shirts for client meetings or social occasions when I need to be in a suit I would consider bespoke I guess for this but have not done so in the past.

Tbh my suits are off the rack and altered so would probably get a tailored suit before hitting up the bespoke shirts.

I suppose I was just wondering how much difference you would put on the shirt spend as white is white to a large extent once it is reasonable well fitted. I tend to not keep them more than 12 months at a guess as they can start to fray\dull\misshape or generally just look worn.

Would a higher quality of shirt last me longer and get me the long term savings over time.

Comment

I'm going to do a long post on shoes
                            Looking forward to this. I mentioned it in BBV once a while back, but the shoes I buy (and pay decent enough money for) tend to last about 3 months only!

Comment

TM Lewin for shirts.

I bought a dress shirt there at the behest of a relative and it is one of the nicest things I've ever owned.

Comment

Where can I get a decent sized wash bag. Preferably with numerous compartments and sections?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                    VfV's previous post on shoes

My brother suggested:
                                    Barker are a good entry point to higher end shoes imo. They probably run for a little more than that, but with reasonable care they'll last years and cost nothing compared to replacing cheap shoes.
                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-08-12, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                      Barker are a good entry point to higher end shoes imo. They probably run for a little more than that, but with reasonable care they'll last years and cost nothing compared to replacing cheap shoes.
                                      Cool, do you know of any B&M shops in Ireland which stock them?

Comment

Best place I think is in the small shopping centre on Dawsons street.

They have a list of shops here:
                                        Handcrafted leather shoes for men and women. Shop now for the popular dress and formal shoe styles including Brogues, Oxfords, Derbys, Loafers and Boots. Free Shipping Above £150.

Buy two and alternate them day to day btw!
                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 31-08-12, 09:01.

Comment

Tough to lurk when there are so few posts

Comment

Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 1 – Good Fit

This series is a must read for the clueless.

Comment

I always find the Shirts in Zara are a really good fit.

Usually what I do is if a certain product is a decent fit, things like plain t-shirt, shirts, jeans etc I'd buy a few of the item in varying colors.
                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Not strictly a clothes post but falls into the fashion category..
                                                watches, whats everyone sporting these days?
                                                Personally i went through the last couple of years watch free, always have gone through phases like that, but am back wearing one the last while.

Picked up this bad boy in the vegas this summer.
                                                Simple, but i really like it.

Comment

Anyone looking for a made to measure short nows your chance at a reasonable price.
                                                  Last edited by V for Vendetta; 27-09-12, 15:08.

Comment

Anyone looking for a made to measure short nows your chance at a reasonable price.
                                                    How much is one of those likely to set one back?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                      How much is one of those likely to set one back?
                                                      150 plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                        Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 1 – Good Fit

This series is a must read for the clueless.
                                                        I wish I had clothes that fit as good as the bad fit pictures there.
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I dress dreadfully, have for years really. My issue is that I can't simply walk into a men's clothes shop in Europe and buy things - nothing fits. Working in IT means appearance isn't immediately inhibiting from a professional perspective, but I'm definitely reaching a point where wearing hoodies on a regular basis is a little ridiculous.

Thanks for the OP, some great links.
                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                            I wish I had clothes that fit as good as the bad fit pictures there.
                                                            That article was not written with the larger bellied person in mind. The 'extreme examples' of bad fit all look fine to me.

Comment

Yeah getting into clothes, gay as it seems is decent banter. I love some of the looks H+M allow you to put together relatively cheaply.

Guy I was living with was rampantly metro sexual and always stressed the importance of never having more than one "statement" piece, ie if you are wearing something a bit out there keep the rest of it clean lined and simple. You really have to feel confident in what you are wearing, like if you are anyway conscious about the way you look it totally defeats the purpose.

Also some of the winter stuff Penneys has in at the moment is really good. Rugged nitwear stuff which looks good and is fairly inexpensive.

Comment

I shop almost exclusively in H&M. The stuff there fits me perfectly (beanpole fit as DP has called it). Obv it's not great quality stuff but it's so cheap as to be almost disposable.

Comment

Hats off for most camp thread title

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                                                                    Hats off for most camp thread title
                                                                    Really?? I doubt its in the top 5 tbh. But when I start a thread like this I'm hardly going to worry about a camp thread title.

Comment

Really?? I doubt its in the top 5 tbh. But when I start a thread like this I'm hardly going to worry about a camp thread title.
                                                                      All light banter

Comment

Gap is amazing for non formal clothes. Bit dearer than HM or Penny's but the arse won't fall out of them as quick either.

If you hate shopping ask (and pay if necessary) a female friend you trust to go with you.

Take about 20 items into changing room and see what happens.

I second what jbravado said - don't go out with wearing something you are not confident in.

Comment

I deffo think this thread should have pics or GTFO!
                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Anyone looking for a made to measure shirt now's your chance at a reasonable price.
                                                                            So I ordered two of these shirts on Saturday. I got two pretty straightforward business shirts as a tryout. White and Blue

Obviously the shirts are to my exact specs and with full choices around cloth, collars, cuffs, pockets, monogramming etc. Richard (the owner of S&G) took about 20 measurements as part of the process but it was very quick.

Most of the half hour was spent looking at pictures of the factory on Richard's ipad and discussing how much outsourcing work they do for Saville row tailors who charge from 225 sterling for made to measure and 275 for fully bespoke and then the guys in Derry make the shirts. He also told me they sell 50% of their output to Japan mostly ready to wear casual shirts to the Fred Perry Laurel brand which are high end shops over there.

I have the option to get the collar and cuffs replaced on my shirts for free merely by posting them back to the factory. He said as a result business people get at least 4-5 years from their shirts wearing them regularly as you'd easily go through the collar and cuffs before you'd go through the body of the shirt. He washes and tumble drys his own shirts (and is a big guy) and reckons they'll stand up very well. (obviously ) I'll report back later on receipt of the shirts and let you know how they go.

The one thing I wasn't offered was a choice on buttons. I forgot to ask with all the other questions I was asking. I'll have to investigate the options there for future more elaborate/smart casual shirts. I'm assuming I'll get decent business type buttons on these particular shirts and I've gone for french cuffs so it isn't really a big issue in this case. I can always get the buttons replaced if needs be.

It was a very painless process and Richard and Derek were a pleasure to deal with. No hard selling and strictly advised away from the very fine clothes and more expensive options as they felt they wouldn't be up to working in on a regular basis. €150 each for the shirts. I paid a €100 deposit and I'll pay the rest on collection from BT. Future shirts can be ordered directly obviously and my pattern will be left on file or I can be remeasured if I so wish.

The guys do two days in BT 2-3 times a year measuring customers and promoting their ready to wear stuff with the BT staff. The BT own brand shirts are now also made by S&G.

Richard said it's no problem if anyone wants to call in to the factory in Derry during the work week to check it out. The pictures look really cool as it's built on a disused railway platform and everything is done by hand. The staff have been making shirts for years.

Derek the manager of their shop in Belfast was also in BT and he was a lovely guy. I'll probably hit the Belfast shop in December on a pre Xmas trip.

Their website is about to be relaunched. Actually it's overdue so Richard is kicking the developers ass at the mo. Should be live by the end of the week for those who want to check out their work in more detail.

Another made to measure option I hope to check out over the next while are these guys. If anyone has used them I'd love to hear about your expereince.

That's it for now I decided to post up my experience to date rather than forgetting about it later and not posting anything.

Comment

#39
                                                                              For shoes I buy from http://www.pediwear.co.uk/
                                                                              I bought a cheap brand pair for £70 years ago that I still wear regularly, the soles are unworn and the uppers are perfect.
                                                                              Mostly I buy the Grenson brand.
                                                                              You might need to spend time on the site looking for bargains.

Why do I use that website?
                                                                              My shoe size is 8 1/2 G. I could spend ages going around Dublin looking for size 8 1/2. Most stores do not stock half sizes. The G is a width fitting one tick wider than the F (medium width) that is stocked by default.
                                                                              Last week I drove to Belfast to return walking boots that were sold as "these are a wide fitting boot". Not the same as the correct width fitting. Another boot is now on order.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Shoes post

I promised a post on this topic some time ago.

I'm not an expert on shoes but I have learned a few things over the last few months and for those of you who are considering improving the shoe end of your wardrobe I have a few tips to impart.

Firstly a little word on economics.

As GAB is fond of quoting from his old mucker Louis Copeland, "buy cheap pay twice".

This is particular true in relation to shoes imo. Good quality shoes last a long time (if you look after them). In addition they can be resoled (effectively reconstructed) using the same upper leathers (which from use and maintenance will have softened and aged beautifully) for half the price of a new pair of shoes.

So if you spend €200 on a pair of good quality, goodyear welted, hand-made english shoes you could expect to get 3-4 years of a useful lifetime from them and another 3-4 years following a resoling. Compare that to the value you get from lower quality shoes and do the maths for yourself.

Now it's not as simple as that as you are comparing apples with oranges but by reading the rest of this post you'll get a feel for the proper level of commitment required when buying good quality shoes. If that's for you then fine. If not then that's your choice.

Before you buy good quality shoes you need to put a maintenance plan in place.
                                                                                • That means a commitment to regular cleaning (i.e. have purchased or own the products that will be required to clean the shoes.
                                                                                • Have space to store the shoes so they can be ventilated etc.
                                                                                • Purchase enough quality shoes such that you won't be wearing the same pair every day. Start off by purchasing at least 3 pairs imo if you work in a formal office.
                                                                                • Have cedar shoe trees in your size ready to go.
                                                                                • Know a cobbler who can put a rubber sole on the shoes if you decide you want to do this (I personally think this is a good idea)
                                                                                • Understand how much the resoling of the shoe's of a particular manufacturer will cost.

If this seems like a bit of effort. It is. But it's kind of satisfying too!

Personally I've only dipped my toes in the water so far (nice pun eh!! ) by buying Barker and Loake shoes to date. These are the cheaper end of the market and my reasoning is that I wanted to get familiar with the costs and the maintenance required without making a very big financial commitment.

Plus because I wear formal shoes all the time they won't be going to waste!

If I was only buying a pair or two for occasional use I might spend a little more and jump in at a more expensive level. Barker's and Loakes look pretty good imo but after you get familiar with these shoes you can tell very high quality shoes at a glance and the Barkers/Loakes fall a little short. Unshoeducated punters won't know the difference though.

The guy at http://www.whatmakesaman.net/index.php has a great series of articles on shoes that I highly recommend you read. Here's the links Part1

Part2

Part3

Having read those links you should be more up to speed on shoes and you could probably do with a little more detail on maintenance.

First things first. When you buy a new pair of shoes the most important thing is not to wear them! Not until you've polished them and left the polish soak in over night to protect them. Preferably on a shoe tree.

The leather is dry from sitting in the shoe shop and by taking care of them from the start you prevent any cracking or bubbling of the leather.

Then you should shine the shoes up and wear them sparingly. It's a good idea to take a sharp knife and trace a diagonal pattern into the leather on the sole of the shoe to prevent you from slipping.

Polish the new shoes quite regularly during the first month as they soften up.

Then I personally would get a rubber sole applied to the shoe.
                                                                                Here's a good article in relation to having an ultra thin rubber sole placed on the bottom of leather shoes to preserve them.

I use the cobbler in Curran's to do something very similar for my shoes at a cost of €25 per pair. He'll knock a little bit off if you get a few pairs done with him at the one time. It's important to wait about a month before getting a rubber sole applied as the shoes will soften and alter a bit during that first month and you may not get such a stable application of the sole by doing it straight away.

Currans is just off Baggot Street heading towards McGrattan's pub.

The series of articles linked above really gives you an idea of the main English shoe brands.

If you'd like to give your business to a Northern Irish manufacturer you could try these guys. I haven't personally yet but I'm sure I will in time.

Personally to date I've bought my shoes in Boylans in the Royal Hibernian arcade and in a few multi shoe brand shops in London.

Boylans always have a few shoe styles and sizes on sale but they will also order specific shoes for customers and if you are a regular customer they should do at least a 10% (upto 20%) discount on full price shoes that they order in for you. Tommy is the owner/manager of the shop and a lovely guy and I've found the prices compare pretty well to buying in the UK overall.

I tend to bulk buy my shoe trees from these guys. Good price, prompt service. Generally you get bulk discounts.

There are numerous interesting youtube videos showing the shoe construction process which I'll try to edit in here later.

I couldn't let this post go without a picture of some shoes of my own. Here's some Barker black cherry full brogue shoes after a recent polish.

Last edited by V for Vendetta; 08-10-12, 15:04.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  I have to recommend a guy called Lee in Bertoni in the St. Stephen's Green SC.
                                                                                  He'll help you achieve your best look, is really clued in and super nice guy to boot.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Not sure if these are good deals or not, but noticed both today so might aswel share here incase they are of interest to anyone.

With this exclusive offer from Rewarding Times you can purchase a luxury Louis Féraud two piece suit from the new Autumn/Winter 2012 collection for only €295, including tie to the value of €50

tuck €29 into our wallet for €62 to spend on custom-made shirts from the online shop. This isn't a stitch-up: you'll start by choosing your luxurious fabric from 46 colours and styles, then you'll customise every aspect -- from the collar and cuffs to the sleeve, pocket, placket, and even a personalised monogram -- before typing in your measurements and getting it all sewn up and sent to you with just €5.38 for delivery

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Cleared out my wardrobe last night and was shocked at the amount I had to get rid of, at least 3/4 of the clothes I had. Next few months will be expensive...

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                        Cleared out my wardrobe last night and was shocked at the amount I had to get rid of, at least 3/4 of the clothes I had. Next few months will be expensive...
                                                                                        That's why I was only buying shoes over the last few months!!

I couldn't buy anything else as it was just a waste of money as my body was just passing through that weight! Now that I'm back working and close to end weight (if not my preferred final body composition which will probably take a year to get to) I've had to buy an entire new professional, smart casual and casual wardrobe.

This losing weight lark has cost me about 3k in clothes to date plus another 2k in personal trainer, gym and sports equipment costs. All of that is times two as Mrs V has lost a lot of weight as well.

Still it's fucking great. And I see it overall as an investment which will pay me back in future reduced medical bills and a longer more productive healthspan which should increase my lifetime earnings potential. You really don't want to be relying on the Irish health system for the next 10 years even with private medical insurance. Mrs V has already seen a great reduction in health bills thanks to her requiring her inhaler 90% less and steroids for rhinitis 2/3rds less.

The beauty of primal is I know I won't be putting the weight back on so I donated a lot of good clothes to family and to charity. Having a small few quality bits in the wardrobe that I look slim and trim in is incredible compared to a stuffed wardrobe that I look like a fatted seal dressed in!!

Comment

#45
                                                                                          burn them clothes pal. Like the feminists did with their bras!

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
                                                                                            I have to recommend a guy called Lee in Bertoni in the St. Stephen's Green SC.
                                                                                            He'll help you achieve your best look, is really clued in and super nice guy to boot.
                                                                                            I know Lee well, very good & knowledgeable. Highly recommended.

He was showing me some hilarious pics of the Irish team coming into them back in the Charlton days - the old jeans\shell tracksuit top\white socks & slip-on black shoes fashion days. Them were the days!
                                                                                            Last edited by Dice75; 09-10-12, 10:53.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              That's why I was only buying shoes over the last few months!!

I couldn't buy anything else as it was just a waste of money as my body was just passing through that weight! Now that I'm back working and close to end weight (if not my preferred final body composition which will probably take a year to get to) I've had to buy an entire new professional, smart casual and casual wardrobe.

This losing weight lark has cost me about 3k in clothes to date plus another 2k in personal trainer, gym and sports equipment costs. All of that is times two as Mrs V has lost a lot of weight as well.

Still it's fucking great. And I see it overall as an investment which will pay me back in future reduced medical bills and a longer more productive healthspan which should increase my lifetime earnings potential. You really don't want to be relying on the Irish health system for the next 10 years even with private medical insurance. Mrs V has already seen a great reduction in health bills thanks to her requiring her inhaler 90% less and steroids for rhinitis 2/3rds less.

The beauty of primal is I know I won't be putting the weight back on so I donated a lot of good clothes to family and to charity. Having a small few quality bits in the wardrobe that I look slim and trim in is incredible compared to a stuffed wardrobe that I look like a fatted seal dressed in!!
                                                                                              Ah I've had to buy some clothes in the interim, tbh they are all I could retain.

My mother came out with a gem last night. “Why don’t you give the clothes to the poor people in Africa?”

Comment

#48

Put it this way, I'm glad to have to spend the money.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Ah I've had to buy some clothes in the interim, tbh they are all I could retain.

My mother came out with a gem last night. “Why don’t you give the clothes to the poor people in Africa?”

Well I did of course buy a very small amount of clothes as it was getting ridiculous but not working was a great help. I basically stuck to casual gear and training/hiking gear.

The poor people in Africa. Classic! Irish Mammy's ftw!

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    NewApproach, How heavy were you and what height are you, if ya dont mind me asking?

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                      NewApproach, How heavy were you and what height are you, if ya dont mind me asking?
                                                                                                      I'm 5 11 and was about 21.5st.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        What do you weigh now?

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          where you at now on the journey to normality?

How's the fitness / breathing etc? Feel a different person?

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            What do you weigh now?
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Derailing the thread much?

Get back over to the epic fitness thread you messers. Five clothing tips for your sins I reckon!!

Edit: Yes I know it was myself and Newapproach that started it!!
                                                                                                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 09-10-12, 11:46.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Clothing tips? Hmmm... Wouldnt consider myself anywhere near competent in this regard but:

1. Fit is the most important. If you find a shirt/t-shirt/trousers etc that fit well buy a few in different colours.

2. Don't wear baggy clothes. Even if heavy. They make you look way worse than you think and don't hide the weight more exaggerate it.

3. Keep it simple. Solid colours and stripes for shirts. No zig zags, florals, hawaiian, these never look good.

4. Brown belt, brown shoes, brown watch strap. Black belt, black shoes, black watch strap etc. Its the little things.

5. Be confident!!!

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                What do you weigh now?
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Now I'm 15st 1lb, obvious feel much better and healthier. Went to the doc for a checkup last week, he took about 7 vials of blood and all the results were fine as was blood pressure so obviously the way I'm feeling isn't just 'placebo'. Fitness has improved massively although I haven't been to the gym in about 2 weeks, been mad busy with work and study!

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Risking V's Vendetta but:

Good Job!! Wait til you meet someone who hasnt seen you in ages. Such a good feeling!! Keep it up!!

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                    I stopped in Galvins in Tullamore today on my way back to Dublin. I didnt think stock levels in the 'casual slacks, shirts and jumpers' section was as good as it used to be but it was still very good. I stopped in c.5pm so it was quieter which I prefer. I love the fact that they have the same staff there time and again and are really good when helping you out. I managed to drop several hundred euro and it's nice to get the discount at the till when paying.

I also picked up a nice pair of Barkers the other evening - seems like a new range, or at least I never noticed that Fitzpatricks stocked them - these ones, ultra comfortable.
                                                                                                                    Seriously how can you be in this thread?

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      [*]Know a cobbler who can put a rubber sole on the shoes if you decide you want to do this (I personally think this is a good idea)
                                                                                                                      I thought I was weird for doing this with new shoes. Leather soles wear and turn to mush so it is a good idea to get them rubber soled.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                        Lets say you had a pretty expensive off the peg suit and you are now 2 sizes smaller. What options are there for getting it altered? I suspect it would be difficult?
                                                                                                                        It really depends. If its a fused canvas and the jacket is way too big especially across the shoulders your options are limited and I'd donate it. If its floating canvas then it's worth taking to a good tailor as they can basically break it down and remake it.

If the shoulders fit but the body is flapping then it could probably be nipped in for a reasonable fee.

Probably best to go somewhere like Des Byrnes on grafton street to get a view.

Just because you pay a lot for a brand name suit doesn't always mean its great quality and if serious work is required to it then it may never be right. I'm hoping to go get a few custom made in the new year. Should cost 1k sterling each for a suit but the suitability for repairs and getting more pants made as required help to offset the bigger expense.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X