Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is probably the most optimistic I've been in 12 months that they won't actually go ahead with Brexit.
    Corbyn seems to have timed his volte face at a good time (maybe a month later than optimal), and the sensible heads in the Conservatives seem to be finally dealing with TMPM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      https://www.businessinsider.com/brex...19-2?r=US&IR=T

Even the tiniest fucking thing. Its almost as though Brexit might not be the easiest thing ever
      Yeah pallet sizes we get delivered from the UK are larger than the ones from the rest of Europe. That’s fucking priceless. (After this week I won’t care about pallet sizes)
      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        Today is probably the most optimistic I've been in 12 months that they won't actually go ahead with Brexit.
        Corbyn seems to have timed his volte face at a good time (maybe a month later than optimal), and the sensible heads in the Conservatives seem to be finally dealing with TMPM.
        Someone described his announcement backing a referendum as sounding like it was being delivered by a hostage reading out a script from his kidnappers

But yeah its over to the extremists now, I suspect they would prefer another referendum to accepting the Withdrawal agreement as it stands.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            I've moved far beyond the stage of mocking those with religious afflictions, and generally respect everyones views as long as they don't impose them on others. But Jacob Stockdale sounds like he is describing a mental illness here.
            Ah I dunno, sounds like a nice boy following all the positive aspects.

Probably hates the qwayres tho.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Ah I dunno, sounds like a nice boy following all the positive aspects.

Probably hates the qwayres tho.
              Andrew Trimble is the same. He's discussed his religious beliefs quite extensively.
              Ireland rugby international Andrew Trimble on how his spirituality enhances his love of the game.

Comment

I've moved far beyond the stage of mocking those with religious afflictions, and generally respect everyones views as long as they don't impose them on others. But Jacob Stockdale sounds like he is describing a mental illness here.
                Anyone below say 50 who hasn't had it beaten into them that believes that shit in the face of all evidence presented to them is fair game for outright mockery.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                  Anyone below say 50 who hasn't had it beaten into them that believes that shit in the face of all evidence presented to them is fair game for outright mockery.
                  Mockery can cost you your head infidel

Comment

Comment

Comment

On another note. I'm surprised there hasn't been more extensive commentary on the wisdom or otherwise of GABs unusual facial accoutrement. I've an open mind of course!
                        He looks like a character from Guess Who
                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

He sounds 'nice' all right, no issue with that. My point was just that the fact he can't get through a game without praying is weird in the extreme. If it was any fantasy character other than jesus that he was talking to so frequently, it would at least be cause for a telling frown from a psychologist.

Like if you substitute the words 'unicorn kingdom' for religion in that article you'd come away with a feeling that he needed care, and yet its the exact same thing. We seem to give people a bye with acting very odd if religion is involved.
                          I wouldn't think twice about an athlete drawing inspiration from religion, it's pretty ubiquitous in American Sports. It raises eyebrows here because it's a minority activity.

Comment

I like this article about the current weather.

It's not beautiful to see cherry blossom or people cutting their grass in February. It's fucking frightening.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Clearly old Willie S had foreknowledge of Our Conor:

His neigh is like the bidding of a monarch, and his countenance enforces homage. He is indeed a horse
                              Winning all the loots in the 2019 IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp will require one to identify what is indeed a horse. Sign up today and avoid FOMO.

€700 guineas in the pot already.

Comment

Comment

Comment

On the plus side, its going to be 20 (twenty!) degrees here tomorrow, so full on t-shirt weather.
                                    been 18 19 all week in london. Crazy times!

Comment

On the plus side, its going to be 20 (twenty!) degrees here tomorrow, so full on t-shirt weather.
                                      This day last year I was in a foot of snow in Rome and headed home just ahead of the snowstorm that had me snowed in for a few days. Today its reporting over 30C inside my polytunnel with the door open!
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                        Stockdale looks like a rather unusual case though, his father is a Presbyterian pastor after all.
                                        I don't think mocking a young guy for believing in a doctrine that was clearly such an integral part of his upbringing is quite the same as any normal athlete having his beliefs questioned.

I think his beliefs should be up for questioning -as should anyone else's- but he probably deserves a certain level of empathy which may not as justifiably afforded to those not as indoctrinated as him.

Comment

Comment

This talk of warm late winter weather will be added to list of why I should move back to Ireland or just somewhere warmer than here. The winter was going rather well until January kicked in, it's been so miserable that when it was around -10C it felt quite nice out. My 2km walk to work does wake me up quite nicely though

Comment

WTF is a murdrum?

Comment

Its not mocking. Its just nothing that it is weird to need to pray in the middle of a game. Thats just objectively not normal human behaviour (even if Americans do it). And he's the guy who gave the newspaper interview despite there being no obvious connection between rugby and religion or reason why religion would impact on an ability to play rugby. As Laz says - he comes across as a nice person - although NI presbyterians have pretty awful life and social beliefs that they impose on NI.
                                                *Asked 5star to change my username, removing my actual name

Zuutroy literally said "outright mockery" and I simply stated that Stockdale offers a relatively unusual case where such mockery is probably less warranted because he was brought up with a pastor for a father.

We know there is no obvious connection between rugby play and religion but he feels there is and he credits his devotion to religion as playing an integral part to his success.

"It's great to be able to do that("pray"), especially when it's a game where things aren't going your way, to hand it all over to God and allow him to deal with it for you."
                                                Last edited by Guest; 26-02-19, 16:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                  WTF is a murdrum?
                                                  I always liked palindromes when I younger so I thought I'd use that.

"Crime of killing an unknown man apparently"

Comment

Theresa May hints she wants to stay on after Brexit to 'get on with' domestic agenda
                                                    lulz

Comment

His beliefs are on about the same level rationality wise as those who think we are going to engineer a climate change soft landing tbh so wouldn’t go chucking stones

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                        This talk of warm late winter weather will be added to list of why I should move back to Ireland or just somewhere warmer than here. The winter was going rather well until January kicked in, it's been so miserable that when it was around -10C it felt quite nice out. My 2km walk to work does wake me up quite nicely though
                                                        Man. Loada bollocks. Been brutal lately - yesterday was particularly fuckthat.

My old Nissan just crapped out this morning too, driving along Deerfoot and it turns off. Cue mild panic, and wrestling it to side of road. Strange one, it starts fine then when if I don't keep the pedal down it just dies.

Going to macguiver the shit out of it later.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          I like this article about the current weather.

It's not beautiful to see cherry blossom or people cutting their grass in February. It's fucking frightening.
                                                          I’ve hated this winter, these months should be about bracing walks, earning your pints by getting out in the frosty mornings or hunkering down in a country pub to survive the howling gales and sideways rain outside. None of that this winter, Christmas just felt wrong

Comment

Not really sure why atheists are always spluttering themselves up into a lather over peoples religious beliefs which are mostly harmless ( but they always focus on the loons) tbh there are far far more damaging secular belief systems that are going to fuck us far more than Christianity ever did
                                                            And fwiw only go to churches for funerals and don’t have any skin in that game, just don’t believe it makes me particularly intelligent or deserving of medals , kudos or unearned sense of superiority

Not directed at hitch particularly just a general comment on atheists online who seem inordinately proud of the fact
                                                            Last edited by Guest; 26-02-19, 18:14.

Comment

Comment

Hopefully you'll reflect on the embarrassingly bad false equivalencies there when you have a spare moment to yourself in the evening.
                                                                Says the man who just equated Jacob Stockdales beliefs with Mental illness ( didn’t give the info the click so you could be right tbf)

Comment

Had the misfortune of being on humanist Ireland’s mailing list for their magazine(or whatever their called)
                                                                  Man were they pleased with themselves
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 26-02-19, 22:15.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                    Not really sure why atheists are always spluttering themselves up into a lather over peoples religious beliefs which are mostly harmless ( but they always focus on the loons) tbh there are far far more damaging secular belief systems that are going to fuck us far more than Christianity ever did
                                                                    And fwiw only go to churches for funerals and don’t have any skin in that game, just don’t believe it makes me particularly intelligent or deserving of medals , kudos or unearned sense of superiority

Not directed at hitch particularly just a general comment on atheists online who seem inordinately proud of the fact
                                                                    Well I don't quite know what secular systems you're referring to but the type of events which various Religions have been proponents of in history is pretty grim stuff overall.

I can't quite think of any historical event which is driven by purely secular motivations which even remotely come close to the ype of atorcities supported by various Religious sects.

It's hard to imagine what type of secular events that could arise to compare?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                      Well I don't quite know what secular systems you're referring to but the type of events which various Religions have been proponents of in history is pretty grim stuff overall.

I can't quite think of any historical event which is driven by purely secular motivations which even remotely come close to the ype of atorcities supported by various Religious sects.

Infinite economic growth completely detached from any regard to impact on environment

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                        Infinite economic growth completely detached from any regard to impact on environment
                                                                        That again is a false equivalence. It's not driven by secular motivations.
                                                                        Aspiring towards perpetual economic growth is a not secular aspiration, it's a capitalist aspiration. If anything, supporters of Religion are some of the greatest roadblocks towards making inroads towards climate change mitigation.

Comment

Communism?

Comment

I hate name changes. Who is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                              I hate name changes. Who is that?
                                                                              *Asked 5star to change my username, removing my actual name
                                                                              If you search threads started by him, you'll get it

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                Communism?
                                                                                /end debate

WP

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                  Communism?
                                                                                  Ironically jusr finished The Communist Manifesto and although it's not quite analogous to religiously driven atrocities, I suspect its not a debate anyone wants to read.
                                                                                  Marx seems pretty sound though

Comment

Ironically jusr finished The Communist Manifesto and although it's not quite analogous to religiously driven atrocities, I suspect its not a debate anyone wants to read.
                                                                                    Marx seems pretty sound though
                                                                                    He reads! He can only be 1 of about 4 four people on this site so.

Been meaning to read that actually. I never paid too much attention to the topic as I consider it something, if beneficial, humanity is not ready for. Filed away with unisex toilets.

Comment

Pick it out you cock knockers!

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

An article on Dublin's disappearing nightlife that may interest some.

Take back the night — In the past year alone, 79 hotels were given the go-ahead for construction or large-scale refurbishment in Dublin – often at the…
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                          I can never get my head around One Another > One and other.
                                                                                          As in, you would say one and other. I would use one another, is that wrong?
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

"One and other" is an eggcorn as far as I know, "one another" being the standard usage, as he indicated with >. My favourite one (Perhaps most hated is a better description?) is people saying for all intensive purposes instead of for all intents and purposes.
                                                                                            When talking about lyrics, poetry etc it's commonly called a mondegreen which is a lovely word. I create loads of them myself when listening to songs. Mistakes can be so common or more easily heard that they become a meme such as the famous Dawkin's example in The Selfish Gene where 'For the sake of auld lang syne' is heard instead of what Burns actually wrote - 'For auld lang syne'. This then spreads through a population like wildfire.

Imagine that nineteen people are correctly singing 'For auld lang syne' and one person, somewhere in the room,
                                                                                            slips in the erroneous 'For the sake of auld lang syne'. A child, hearing the song for the first time, is eager
                                                                                            to join in but uncertain of the words. Although almost everybody is singing 'For auld lang syne', the hiss of
                                                                                            an's' and the cut of a 'k' force their way into the child's ears, and when the refrain comes round again he
                                                                                            too sings 'For the sake of auld lang syne'. The mutant meme has taken over another vehicle. If there are
                                                                                            any other children there, or adults unconfident of the words, they will be more likely to switch to the
                                                                                            mutant form next time the refrain comes round. It is not that they 'prefer' the mutant form. They genuinely
                                                                                            don't know the words and are honestly eager to learn them. Even if those who know better indignantly
                                                                                            bellow 'For auld lang syne' at the top of their voice (as I do!), the correct words happen to have no
                                                                                            conspicuous consonants, and the mutant form, even if quietly and diffidently sung, is far easier to hear.
                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-02-19, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                              "One and other" is an eggcorn as far as I know, "one another" being the standard usage, as he indicated with >. My favourite one (Perhaps most hated is a better description?) is people saying for all intensive purposes instead of for all intents and purposes.
                                                                                              When talking about lyrics, poetry etc it's commonly called a modegreen which is a lovely word. I creates loads of them myself when listening to songs. Mistakes can be so common or more easily heard that they become a meme such as the famous Dawkin's example where 'For the sake of auld lang syne' is heard instead of what Burns actually wrote - 'For auld lang syne'. This then spreads through a population like wildfire.
                                                                                              I have never seen anyone write "one and other" or discern them saying that. I hate those type of things. I know someone who writes "intensive purposes" just to try and annoy people.

Comment

Sure we'll play it by year
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

A pony went to the vet complaining of a sore throat.

"It's OK" sez the doc, "you're just a little hoarse".

Sign up for the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp, or these will only get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                    I have never seen anyone write "one and other" or discern them saying that. I hate those type of things. I know someone who writes "intensive purposes" just to try and annoy people.
                                                                                                    Same cunts that dont know the difference between have and of. Seems to be common practice and widely accepted these days.

Comment

Improper usage of 'done' means I silently judge you.

Comment

Have a Skype meeting scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Have never really used Skype before. I downloaded Skype for business and added it to my Office 365 account but couldn't log in. Some DNS error.

I can access my personal account.

Couple of questions.

Can I take the call with my personal account assuming I can't get around the log in issue?

Do I need to send the other person my Skype name?

Comment

Have a Skype meeting scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Have never really used Skype before. I downloaded Skype for business and added it to my Office 365 account but couldn't log in. Some DNS error.

I can access my personal account.

Couple of questions.

Can I take the call with my personal account assuming I can't get around the log in issue?

Do I need to send the other person my Skype name?
                                                                                                          I assume you can send them your personal Skype name and they can call you from Skype for business. Can do you a test call from work tomorrow morning if you haven't figured it.

Are you added to an outlook meeting. Or someone is gonna just call you off Skype?
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                            Same cunts that dont know the difference between have and of. Seems to be common practice and widely accepted these days.
                                                                                                            Even when pointed out,some people keep doing it.

I would of liked them to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                              I assume you can send them your personal Skype name and they can call you from Skype for business. Can do you a test call from work tomorrow morning if you haven't figured it.

Are you added to an outlook meeting. Or someone is gonna just call you off Skype?
                                                                                                              I think I'm added to an outlook meeting. I replied to an invite. Not sure how that works though, my email address isn't linked to my Microsoft or Skype account.

That would be cool if you could do that. Don't say GFYL in my office though.

Comment

I think I'm added to an outlook meeting. I replied to an invite. Not sure how that works though, my email address isn't linked to my Microsoft or Skype account.

The invite should have a clickable link. Follow that and follow the instructions to install the necessary browser extension. Then you can simply join the call with a name and no log in. Alternatively if you wont need screen share there are usually dial in numbers.
                                                                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

If there were no religion humans will find a way to commit atrocities. Religion is just a vehicle .
                                                                                                                  There are many examples . I doubt Hiroshima was in the name of God. Anyway out jogging in a t shirt at midnight last night . Summer is here thank God.

Comment

Must be nearly dinner time? Stew got an hour to go perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                      @Lazare - just use Zoom.
                                                                                                                      I'll have a look at that in the morn, hopefully have enough time to figure it all out. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                        Must be nearly dinner time? Stew got an hour to go perhaps?
                                                                                                                        No Dom, had an early dinner tonight for a change. Polished it off a good 20 mins ago.

Comment

Actually had dinner the other day, Mon I think, at about 7pm and it was wonderful to get it done so early tbh. Tough to do most days though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X