4 years and counting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Fat
    Had another scan yesterday. It's been 8 months since the last, although in that tiem i put on the xmas weight also.
    Body fat was down 3.6kg and muscle mass was up 1.7kg. BF% dropped from, 21.5% to 17.4%

By no means massive results. And still carrying too much fat, target is 10-12%. I'm very happy with the results given that my goals haven't been based around body comp. This is just a byproduct of my strength/fitness training.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      Body Fat
      Had another scan yesterday. It's been 8 months since the last, although in that tiem i put on the xmas weight also.
      Body fat was down 3.6kg and muscle mass was up 1.7kg. BF% dropped from, 21.5% to 17.4%

By no means massive results. And still carrying too much fat, target is 10-12%. I'm very happy with the results given that my goals haven't been based around body comp. This is just a byproduct of my strength/fitness training.
      I think that's a huge result mate, it's effectively a 20% drop in BF in 8 months. Major kudos! I wish I had your discipline

What did you use for the scan, was it an idxa/ body pod machine or similar?
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Thanks.
        It was with a Dexa scan. A little pricey, but I really like the detail it gives. Things like the distribution of fat, low risk vrs high risk etc.
        I was very happy with the result, so bigger jump than last time. Was near the top of my estimate. I just meant that aiming purely for BF%, you could achieve better numbers with endless cardio. But are the risk of losing your sanity.

Comment

Thanks.
          It was with a Dexa scan. A little pricey, but I really like the detail it gives. Things like the distribution of fat, low risk vrs high risk etc.
          I was very happy with the result, so bigger jump than last time. Was near the top of my estimate. I just meant that aiming purely for BF%, you could achieve better numbers with endless cardio. But are the risk of losing your sanity.
          Fantastic stuff!! Where did you get this done?
          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
            Fantastic stuff!! Where did you get this done?
            I got it done here in Sydney, but it should be available in a few places around Dublin. I find it reinforcing to quantify things like that.
            Plus it’s good to know that I’m carrying proportionally less fat on my trunk which relates to a reduce risk of cardiovascular disease.

SPOILER
            Attached Files

Comment

You've got a fat ass though

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                You've got a fat ass though
                True Tom. Thanks for helping me keep it in perspective

Comment

Submission grappling

Just a small in house tourney. Divided into two teams australia vrs rest of the world. Two fights each, first Gi then No-Gi.
                  No points, wins by sub only. Warnings for stalling, you must seek to advance at all times. No heel hooks but pretty much everything else is allowed.

Gi
                  Lost via rear naked choke.
                  Only myself to blame for not finishing. Had my chances to finish but made small mistakes that I should of avoided.
                  One to learn from. At least I was wewually attacking and defending. Which it progress.

No-Gi
                  Won via armbar.
                  Got mount and took my time to establish a base before going to the arm. It's rolled with this guy before and this was my first time to tap him.

Hopefully videos will follow

Comment

Awesome, congrats man. I keep meaning to upload some videos to Rapidsahre for you like Demian Maia's set. I'll get around to it soon.

Comment

Tuesday - Week 2.1

Warmup
                      Foam rolling
                      Mobility drills

Squats
                      20kg x 5
                      70kg x 5
                      85kg x 5
                      102.5kg x 5
                      120kg x 5
                      137.5kg x 5

Bench Press
                      20kg x 5
                      45kg x 5
                      55kg x 5
                      65kg x 5
                      77.5kg x 5
                      87.5kg x 5

Bent Over Row
                      35kg x 5
                      42.5kg x 5
                      50kg x 5
                      60kg x 5
                      67.5kg x 5

Squats felt rusty. Some foot, ankle and forearm pains putting me off.
                      Bench was ok. Top set was a grind, but wasnt resting much.
                      Rows were fine as usual. Took about 5 mins for the lot.

Comment

Wed - Muay Thai - 60 mins

Warm-up
                        Sprints, burpees, sprawls, press ups, lunges, v sits etc
                        Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Splits.

Pads
                        4 x 30 secs of Straight Right. Straight Lefts. Right Roundhouses. Left Roundhouses.
                        3 Rounds
                        Rd1. Standing Still
                        Rd2. Circling
                        Rd3. As rd2 but with a jab added for the punch sets

Kicks
                        Thigh Kicks. As fast as possible, alternating sides.
                        Switch from one directly into the other. Rotate hips

Comment

Thursday - Week 2.2

Warmup
                          Foam rolling
                          Mobility drills - Fire Hydrant, V-rolls, Mountain Climbers, Wall slides, Shoulder Dislocates

Squats
                          20kg x 5
                          70kg x 5
                          85kg x 5
                          102.5kg x 5 x 2

Overhead Press
                          35kg x 5
                          42.5kg x 5
                          50kg x 5
                          57.5kg x 5

Deadlifts
                          85kg x 5
                          102.5kg x 5
                          120kg x 5
                          137.5kg x 5

Presses were slow. Forearm has been sore all week, so prob something to do with that.

Prehab/Rehab:
                          Wrist curls: 10kg x 12, 15kg x 10 both sides
                          Front Squats 40kg x 12 x 2 Slow and to depth
                          Good Mornings 40kg x 12 x 2

Comment

Wed - MMA

BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up
                            Jogging, bridging, rolling etc - Right hip is feeling funny, fuck.

Drills
                            Guard passes
                            Break grip, Sit up, L-base, knee to arse and extend back. Stack and pass to side control.
                            Isolate arm by side, pass it under to opposite hand, roll to side control switching hips

Submissions
                            Collar choke. Grip collar behind head at shoulder. Roll forward. Underhook near side andgrip collar and pass elbow around head.

One of the blue belts suggested getting the near side underhook grip in as its very hard to notice. Then its much quicker to grip shoulder and choke.

Rolling
                            3 x 5 mins

Rolling was good. Got choked, then managed the choke we were drilling. Then rolled with the two guys from last weekend. Caught both in a twister which was good. They both returned with a choke. With the first I missed an armbar from the bottom but recovered with a wrist lock. And with the second I took his back but could finish.

I stayed behind to roll with one of the blue belts. got owned obv, but that's the point.
                            State championships are next week and i'm considering entering for the experience.
                            S

Comment

Videos

This is my No Gi match from last week. The Gi match was 7 minutes long and I'm having a bit of trouble getting it online. I'll try again at work with a better connection.

I'm in the dark top.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                              Last edited by Mellor; 16-06-12, 08:42.

Comment

Cross post from the BBV.

Congrats Mellor. Good match. Great natural movement between the holds which bodes well for you in future matches. Make sure you really keep your body on the opponents torso though. Control the guy and never give him a sniff of a chance.
                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                  Cross post from the BBV.

Congrats Mellor. Good match. Great natural movement between the holds which bodes well for you in future matches. Make sure you really keep your body on the opponents torso though. Control the guy and never give him a sniff of a chance.
                                  Thanks man. Yeah I have to work on keeping pressure down. I can see a load of mistakes, I think most of them are down to nerves on the day and thinking "yes I got it" when I should be concentrating. Some of it was sloppy, but I was pretty happy with how I recovered the armbar.
                                  My gi match was 7 minutes long and had a bit more action. But sadly, I had some sloppy mistakes too. I'll try get it up.

Comment

The other BJJ video

I'm in the blue. This was almost 7 mins long so pretty tired towards end.
                                    Some very simple mistakes. Some was down to nerves, and other to exhaustion. One tiny change to one of the subs would of got me the tap. Towards the end I was exhausted though.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Keto Diet
                                    Started a keto diet this week. Day 1 went well. Was pretty filling even though calories are kinda low. I suppose some of that comes down to snacking not being as easy if suitable foods aren't there.

Breakfast: 4 eggs
                                    Lunch: 1/4 Chicken and Feta salad
                                    Snack: Pepperami stick
                                    Dinner: 2 pork steaks with broccoli and garlic mushrooms
                                    Snack: Iced Coffee w/cream and some jerky

Comment

Well done man. Some good stuff in there and plenty to work on. The most important of which is position and posture inside guard. Keep your head and chest up and keep your arms safe.

I like the way your moving for armbars, and constantly attacking. Just slow down your setup a little first. the extra pressure during the inital set up will make the armbar more difficult for him to defend.

In bottom half guard, always try to win the near side underhook. Most half guard sweeps come from there. In comeptition, my main hg sweeps come from winning the near side underhook. I either come up to my knees finishing a single leg or duck under for the sweep (similar to Galvao here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxsdVqtO2M).

Do me a favour and don't try that straight ankle lock in competition. You'll be dq'd for reaping the knee.

Very nice guard pass at the start too, and i mean very nice!

I assume this was submission only, because if it was points then it would have ended after five minutes with you winning (if you managed not to get dq'd )

Oooosss. Keep it going!! I'll get those vid links up for you this week.
                                      Last edited by TomD; 19-06-12, 07:35.

Comment

Yeah submission only. I defo rushed a lot of the set ups. I really should have sat up when I switched to omoplata. Was pretty annoyed with that I was only getting g ahead of myself.
                                        Re: the footlocker. Yeah messed that up. Reaped the knee and then got my foot stuck so couldn't get out. When we twisted awkwardly I knew we'd be separated. In hindsight I should of let go and tried to keep a dominant position.

You competing on Saturday?

Comment

Yep, looking forward to Cork. Competing and doing the tables, so it'll be a busy day. Hoping for my third gold in a row.

RE: The omoplata. A lot of top level guys dont consider the omoplata a submission and only use it as a sweep. If you take the sweep then you can backstep around the head and get a triangle from mount. Once you get blue, you'll be able to wristlock from there too!

Comment

Tuesday - Week 2.3

Warmup
                                            Foam rolling
                                            Mobility drills

Squats
                                            20kg x 5
                                            70kg x 5
                                            85kg x 5
                                            102.5kg x 5
                                            120kg x 5
                                            140kg x 3
                                            102.5kg x 8

Bench Press
                                            45kg x 5
                                            55kg x 5
                                            65kg x 5
                                            77.5kg x 5
                                            90kg x 3
                                            65kg x 8

Bent Over Row
                                            35kg x 5
                                            42.5kg x 5
                                            50kg x 5
                                            60kg x 5
                                            70kg x 3
                                            50kg x 8

Hitting depth on squats generally, triple was sloppy. 8 rep set was deep but, sloppy. Very far forward. I should of taken a step back with squats I feel. It's obviously the one i'll miss reps on first.

Keto Diet
                                            Breakfast: 3 eggs and 30ml cream
                                            Lunch: Steak with spinach and tomato salad
                                            Snack: 50g nuts
                                            Post Gym: Protein shake with 40ml cream (and water)
                                            Dinner: Thai green curry with green beans and beanshoots
                                            Snack: Spoon of peanut butter and jerky

Comment

Wed - MMA

Muay thai - 60mins
                                              Warm-up
                                              Press-ups, plyo-lunges, tuck jumps, partner drills.

Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Splits.

Pads
                                              Push kick, roundhouse, cross
                                              Push kick, double roundhouse, cross
                                              Push kick, double roundhouse, cross, upper cut

Kicks
                                              Thigh Kicks. As fast as possible, alternating sides.
                                              Switch from one directly into the other. Rotate hips

BJJ - 90 mins+

Warm-up
                                              Forward/Backward rolls, etc

Drills
                                              Half guard progression. Circle around the body to create space and maintain position.

Submissions
                                              Circle from HG to set up an armbar

Rolling
                                              4 x 5 mins

Found the drills tough. Was tired plus it was a tricky drill.
                                              Rolling consisted of me being almost a total nail - repeatedly hammered.
                                              Completely expected as 3 out of 4 were bit blue belts.

The double sessions are killer. Took a lot out of me. Was pretty tight in the hips and quads a few hours later.

Comment

Fri - Conditioning

Rower
                                                150m x 10
                                                Strict 1 min rest between sets.

Heartrate: Max 186/Average 165
                                                Calories: 230

Target was to get each under 30 seconds. Almost got there.
                                                Times were roughly 29.5sec for the first 4, 29.9 from the 5th to the 8th. And 30.5 and 30.4 for the last two.
                                                Average:29.8

Short and hard session. Just wanted to mark it off the list of rower to-do's. Annoyed tonot get it below 30 for all. But form died on the last two. The start is the toughest, getting the flywheel up and running fast is key.

Comment

BJJ - 2 hours

Warm-up
                                                  Jogging, bridging, rolling etc

Drills
                                                  North south escape to north south
                                                  North south to back

Half guard escape to back
                                                  (same one from weds, went so much better)

SubmissionsI
                                                  Armbar from mount

Rolling
                                                  About an hour casual rolling, going through a few subs I wanted to work on

Comment

Ugh.

Have had a bit of a twinge in my groin/hip since saturday. In the same place I said was sore two weeks ago. There is no one incident that I can pin on causing it. Was caught in a leg lock on the joint but didn't particular hurt at the time.
                                                    I'm hoping its just a overuse combo with squats, kick boxing, and 3.5 hours of BJJ wearing it out.
                                                    Going to take a few days off to recover.

I really hope it goes away on its own and with ease. It's not very painful, just feels off in certain directions. Being in bloody foreigner means I don't get trips to the doctor covered so hopefully this stays minor.

Comment

BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                      North south to back
                                                      Turtle to back

SubmissionsI
                                                      Lapel choke from back

Rolling
                                                      Rolling didn't go well was v. Tired n sluggish.

Comment

I forgot to add the part about the diet to the last post.

Was pretty solid with the diet for two weeks. Keto monday to friday. Carby re-feed on the weekend, aka burger chips and beers. I find as long as you stick to a keto diet that you don't overeat. A lot of this is due to the fact that snacking is harder, but also that its satiety levels of meats, cheese etc.

Weighed in on saturday morning at 75.6kg.
                                                        Pretty happy with that, my target is 72kg now. All things going well, that should be around the magic 10% BF and i'll finally lose the beer belly.

Comment

6 month update

Overtook my weight goal some time in the last few weeks. New goal is 72kg. Bench/Squat/Deadlift numbers haven't moved but haven't pushed them. Hoping to get 5 weeks on good lifting in now. I've cleaned more than I currently weigh, but it was at a higher BW. Overhead might get there, but unlikely. I'd like to think i'll hit 1.30 by december.

Comment

Tuesday - Week 2.1 - Take 2

Decided to repeat the previous weeks loads after my layoff. Been almost 2 weeks without lifting.

Warmup
                                                            Foam rolling
                                                            Mobility drills

Squats
                                                            20kg x 5
                                                            70kg x 5
                                                            85kg x 5
                                                            102.5kg x 5
                                                            120kg x 5
                                                            137.5kg x 5

Bench Press
                                                            20kg x 5
                                                            45kg x 5
                                                            55kg x 5
                                                            65kg x 5
                                                            77.5kg x 5
                                                            87.5kg x 5

Bent Over Row
                                                            35kg x 5
                                                            42.5kg x 5
                                                            50kg x 5
                                                            60kg x 5
                                                            67.5kg x 5

Single arm Bicep curls
                                                            15kg x 10
                                                            12.5kg x 10

Last rep was a little high on squats.
                                                            Bench was meh. Top set was a grind, las rep was high. .
                                                            Rows were fine as usual. Took about 5 mins for the lot.
                                                            Added in some bicep curls to deal with some pain in my right elbow. Really hope its just bruising and not damage.

Comment

Weds - BJJ - 90 mins+

Warm-up

Drills
                                                              Open guard progression. Maintaining guard, keeping the knee in

Submissions
                                                              Open guard to triangle set up

Rolling
                                                              2 x 5 mins + about 15 minutes casual

The first roll I spent a lot of time under a bigger guy, struggled to hip escape.
                                                              Rolled with one of the blue belts for the remainder. Briefly got an advantageous position, but couldn't hold it. I'm a lot calmer when defending, even If I know i won't recover fully from a position verses a better guy, Ill defend and hold off for as long as possible.

There's no losing in BJJ, there's winning and there's learning.

Comment

Sat - BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                Side control position drills
                                                                Side control to Knee ride

SubmissionsI
                                                                Knee ride to armbar

Rolling
                                                                3 x 5 mins
                                                                Rolling was good. A lot smoother this week. Still made silly mistakes but was focusing on technique over speed.

Stand up - 30 mins
                                                                Did a little bit of practise on the bag. Got a few pointers.but this was mainly about a few rounds sparring.

[b]3 minute rounds x 4[\b]

Did ok. Managed a few combos but mostly force him to move back and wasn't connecting. Wasing checking leg kicks enough. And need to do more than jab when tired.

Comment

Tuesday - Week 2.2 - again

Warmup
                                                                  Mobility drills - Fire Hydrant, Wall slides,

Squats
                                                                  20kg x 5
                                                                  70kg x 5
                                                                  85kg x 5
                                                                  102.5kg x 5 x 2

Overhead Press
                                                                  35kg x 5
                                                                  42.5kg x 5
                                                                  50kg x 5
                                                                  57.5kg x 5

Deadlifts
                                                                  85kg x 5
                                                                  102.5kg x 5
                                                                  120kg x 5
                                                                  137.5kg x 5

Squats were fine.
                                                                  Presses were slow towards the end, was rushing a bit.
                                                                  Deadlifts were fine. Was a bit worried but looking forward to pulling more.

Comment

Weds - BJJ - 90 mins+

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                    Open guard week2.
                                                                    Rolling around trapped arm without hands.

Submissions
                                                                    Spider guard. Roll to armbar on high leg pass.
                                                                    Hook head when leg switched

Rolling
                                                                    2 x 3 mins open guard only, bottom subs, top passes
                                                                    2 x 3 mins legs only

2 x 4min rolls

The open guard stuff was good, legs only was interesting, and quite tough as you had to work much more to get position.

This week the warm up included a set of cartwheels. I haven't done a cartwheel in years, and tbh I don't think I ever could properly. I'd land in a squat if I was lucky. So I was kinda expecting to fuck these up but gave them a go.
                                                                    Managed 3 cartwheels with ease, obvious improved mobility over the last few years is the reason. I just found it funny to be suddenly able to do something i never could and haven't ever tried to do in the meantime.

Comment

Friday - Week 2.3 - repeat

Warmup
                                                                      Foam rolling
                                                                      Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                      20kg x 5
                                                                      70kg x 5
                                                                      85kg x 5
                                                                      102.5kg x 5
                                                                      120kg x 5
                                                                      140kg x 3
                                                                      102.5kg x 8

Bench Press
                                                                      45kg x 5
                                                                      55kg x 5
                                                                      65kg x 5
                                                                      77.5kg x 5
                                                                      90kg x 2 ...ugh
                                                                      65kg x 8

Bent Over Row
                                                                      35kg x 5
                                                                      42.5kg x 5
                                                                      50kg x 5
                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                      70kg x 3
                                                                      50kg x 8

Squats were fine.
                                                                      I read a bit today on bar path when benching n completely over thought it and lost form and momentum.
                                                                      Rows were good.

Heartrate: Max 165/Average 121
                                                                      Total time: 1hr 02mins
                                                                      Calories: 552

Calories burned are higher than expected, but this was a more intense than usual session and I was taking my time which probably increases the total.
                                                                      Last edited by Mellor; 13-07-12, 12:32.

Comment

Tuesday - Week 3.1

Warmup
                                                                        Foam rolling
                                                                        Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                        20kg x 5
                                                                        70kg x 5
                                                                        87.5kg x 5
                                                                        105kg x 5
                                                                        122.5kg x 5
                                                                        140kg x 5

Bench Press
                                                                        45kg x 5
                                                                        57.55kg x 5
                                                                        67.5kg x 5
                                                                        80kg x 5
                                                                        90kg x 3

Bent Over Row
                                                                        SKIPPED

Squats were really good. 105kg felt light and comfortable, and 122kg went well. Was a bit worried getting under 140kg, was v.tough but got 5 good reps.

Bench wasn't great though. Warm up went good but 80kg felt heavy. Was unsure if i had a 4th in me, 5th definitely wasn't there. So I left it at 3 to avoid failure. Probably due to rushing a bit and leaving it all in the squat rack.
                                                                        Annoying as I've benched 90kg x 5 before, but luckily, the program I'm following calls to repeat 90kg next round, so nest two bench work outs were 90kg x3 and x5 anyway.

Skipped out on rows as I don't want to be pulling 70kg with shitty form.

Comment

Weds - BJJ - 90 mins+

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                          Open guard week3.
                                                                          Inverted rolls

Submissions
                                                                          Spider guard.
                                                                          Roll to omaplata. Pressure on shoulder. Switch to triangle/armbar on posture up.
                                                                          Inverted roll, sit back to sweep to SC
                                                                          Grab sleeve, foot to elbow and sweep. Keep rolling to armbar/triangle

Rolling
                                                                          3 x 4 mins
                                                                          Rollign went well until the last guy. He's smaller, but has a really good guard. I kept leaving myself wide open for triangles, which he lock up, if I defended he'd switch to armbar. Nothing I don't know, I just wasn't flowing well and was tapped 3 times in 4 mins.

Comment

Tuesday - Week 3.2

Warmup
                                                                            Mobility drills - Fire Hydrant, Wall slides,

Squats
                                                                            20kg x 5
                                                                            70kg x 5
                                                                            87.5kg x 5
                                                                            105kg x 5 x 2

Overhead Press
                                                                            37.5kg x 5
                                                                            45kg x 5
                                                                            52.5kg x 5
                                                                            60kg x 2
                                                                            60kg x 3

Deadlifts
                                                                            87.5kg x 5
                                                                            105kg x 5
                                                                            122.5kg x 5
                                                                            140kg x 5

Press, wtf? Felt all wrong and could get the bar moving. Was in a new gym tonight, the bar felt fatter, maybe heavier.
                                                                            Deadlifts were good. Want to pull some PBs soon

Comment

Weds - BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                              Open guard.
                                                                              Spider Guard pass to armbar
                                                                              Spider guard invert to triangle
                                                                              Spider guard control

Rolling
                                                                              3 x 5 mins
                                                                              Was missing a partner so rolled with one of the MMA guys who happened to be there. He's a HW was I was giving up maybe 40kg or more on top. Started ok, got the neck and rolled to top position, but couldn't get free enough to finish. After a while he got free and choke me a few times.

Last roll was with a guy with around mt own exp. Managed to roll with some sort of the flow and plan.
                                                                              Mount > H.Guard > Back > RNC
                                                                              Omplata/sweep > Armbar
                                                                              Spider Guard > Armbar > Triangle

I need to buy a cup.

Comment

Sat - BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                                Break posture in full guard
                                                                                Arm Drag sweep to Arm bar
                                                                                Bump sweep

Rolling
                                                                                3 x 5 mins

Stand up - 30 mins
                                                                                Some heavy bag to start with and then sparing.

[b]3 minute rounds x 4[\b]

Was ok I guess. Im not checking leg kicks enough. Against one on the taller kickboxers he took advantage of that.
                                                                                I drop my hands and head too much too. I did

Comment

Tues - Week 3.3

Warmup
                                                                                  Foam rolling
                                                                                  Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                                  20kg x 5
                                                                                  70kg x 5
                                                                                  87.5kg x 5
                                                                                  105kg x 5
                                                                                  122.5kg x 5
                                                                                  142.5kg x 3
                                                                                  105kg x 8

Bench Press
                                                                                  45kg x 5
                                                                                  57.5kg x 5
                                                                                  67.5kg x 5
                                                                                  80kg x 5
                                                                                  90kg x 2
                                                                                  67.5kg x 8

Bent Over Row
                                                                                  35kg x 5
                                                                                  45kg x 5
                                                                                  52.5kg x 5
                                                                                  62.5kg x 5
                                                                                  72.5kg x 3
                                                                                  52.5kg x 8

Squats were fine. Really happy with squats.
                                                                                  Very unhappy with bench. I'm not sure what's up, but the bars in the new gym don't feel right. They are either fatter or heavier or both. Same issue with OHP
                                                                                  Rows are getting tough. If bars are fatter, then it might put extra stress on grip. Time to
                                                                                  chalk up

Comment

Fucking great squats!! Wow. Really showing the way with those numbers.

Comment

Thanks V,
                                                                                      Squats and deadlifts feel better than ever.
                                                                                      I'd love to know what's up with bench and overhead presses.

Comment

Weds - BJJ/Judo* - 90 mins
                                                                                        The guy instructing tonight has a judo background. The whole class was focused on stand up aspect, grips, throws, etc

Warm-up

Partner Circuit
                                                                                        Over/under partner
                                                                                        Lateral jumping
                                                                                        Jump guard sit-ups
                                                                                        Diving forward rolls

Drills - Grip
                                                                                        A few rounds each of;
                                                                                        Collar tapping
                                                                                        Securing grips
                                                                                        Grip only throws

Trips/Throws
                                                                                        6 in a group.
                                                                                        One guy to the centre of the mat and takes on the other 5 one after the other for 30 seconds each. Both try to get a trip, throw or takedown with grip.
                                                                                        After all 5 complete, another guy into the centre. Repeat for all 6.

Rolling
                                                                                        2 x 3 mins

Small bit of rolling. Managing to pull spider guard to start. I like this position but need to work on not getting passed quickly. Better grips would help stall a pass to open a sub.

Comment

Small bit of rolling. Managing to pull spider guard to start. I like this position but need to work on not getting passed quickly. Better grips would help stall a pass to open a sub.
                                                                                          I find using a pocket grip best. You won't get passed so quickly if you keep them off balance (push/pulling) and you'll see lots of opening for armbars/triangles when they get desperate. Also, don't be on your back. If you're on your hip, then you'll be able to move more easily to retain guard. Leg lasso can help to, you'll get some savage sweeps from it.

Look for Michel Langhi or Cobrinha videos, they both use SG very effectively.

Rolled up Episode 23 Impassable guard with Michael Langhi-Langhi talks about how Cobrinha got him into BJJ-Capoeira is the base of Jiu-jitsu-Training with hi...
                                                                                          Last edited by TomD; 02-08-12, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                                            I find using a pocket grip best. You won't get passed so quickly if you keep them off balance (push/pulling) and you'll see lots of opening for armbars/triangles when they get desperate. Also, don't be on your back. If you're on your hip, then you'll be able to move more easily to retain guard. Leg lasso can help to, you'll get some savage sweeps from it.
                                                                                            Had a google of pocket grip there, i'll give that a go. One of the first pics that came up was Drysdale.
                                                                                            My coach hammers it in about being on your hip not flat. Part of he reason I like SG is because when I get the sleeve and lapel and extend to hip and bicep/armpit/shoulder I naturally fall onto my hip on the sleeve/lapel side.

Haven't heard of leg lasso. To google

Comment

Had a google of pocket grip there, i'll give that a go. One of the first pics that came up was Drysdale.
                                                                                              My coach hammers it in about being on your hip not flat. Part of he reason I like SG is because when I get the sleeve and lapel and extend to hip and bicep/armpit/shoulder I naturally fall onto my hip on the sleeve/lapel side.

Haven't heard of leg lasso. To google
                                                                                              Drysdale was just in Dublin this weekend, so we had two sssions each day (Sat/Sun/Mon). Some awesome training, but he fucking crushed me.

I've done nothing but SG for the past six months. leg Lassa is a variation of the foot on bicep where you loop your leg over there arm and put your foot in the armpit, effectively trappling the arm. It's give you great control and some great sweeps.

Last week, JT Torres showed us a nice guard pass when someone wraps your arm from open guard. In this week's Power Play, Alexey Cruz shows us the proper mech...

Comment

Sat - BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                                                Armbar from full guard
                                                                                                Triangle from full guard
                                                                                                Flower sweep

Maintain open guard/Pass to side control.
                                                                                                Maintain mount/Escape Mount

Rolling
                                                                                                3 x 5 mins

Comment

Mon - Conditioning - 30 mins

Rower
                                                                                                  4min row/3min rest/2min row/30sec rest/1min row*/3mins rest/2min row/30sec rest/4min row
                                                                                                  Total distance: 3318m

*Wasn't paying attention and missed 10 seconds from the start of the 1min block. So that cost me some distance.
                                                                                                  I think 3500m is achievable here.

Mon - BJJ - 90 mins
                                                                                                  (10 minutes break after rowing was not enough)

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                                                  From guard - two hands outside, control hips, stack and pass the SC
                                                                                                  If they roll to turtle, control leg and flip over to SC

Drills - Single Leg TDs
                                                                                                  Hold leg tight throughout and pass to SC
                                                                                                  If throw fails, keep leg locked up, stand and roll again.

Rolling
                                                                                                  3 x 5 mins

Absolutely bolloxed when rolling.
                                                                                                  Did ok with position but wasn't setting up subs clean enough

Comment

Tues - Weight

Warmup
                                                                                                    Foam rolling
                                                                                                    Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                                                    20kg x 5
                                                                                                    60kg x 5
                                                                                                    80kg x 4
                                                                                                    100kg x 3
                                                                                                    120kg x 2
                                                                                                    140kg x 1 x 2

Bench Press
                                                                                                    40kg x 5
                                                                                                    60kg x 4
                                                                                                    80kg x 3
                                                                                                    90kg x 2
                                                                                                    95kg x 1
                                                                                                    100kg x 0

I had planned this to be a 1RM test session, but it went astray.
                                                                                                    Squats didn't feel perfect warming up. I was never in danger of missing 140kg, but felt slow. I suppose monday's session had to have an impact. I was also using a freestanding rack without safeties, and was a little concerned about failing a rep. In the end I decided against it going further. If I wasn't feeling 100%, and didn't have complete confidence in the set-up, i was never going to produce a true max effort.
                                                                                                    Benching was a bit better. Worked up ok. 95kg was solid, but as soon as 100kg touched my chest, form broke down and couldn't recover. Stil not 100% comfortable on the benches in this gym.
                                                                                                    I also measured the bars, some of them are rated for 1500lbs and the bar is slightly thicker. That's obviously what was wrong with pressing last week.

I'm off to america on friday, so i'll be using a different program for 3 weeks. It's called convict conditioning, its all bodyweight/calisthenic stuff that you can do with minimal equipment for times you are stuck in a prison cell (or hotel room )
                                                                                                    I might try to get some heavy deadlifts in before I go, I'll see how I go.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 07-08-12, 23:30.

Comment

Wed - BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                                                      More stack/roll/turtle/guard recover drills

Rolling
                                                                                                      2 x 5 mins

More of the same. Controlled back position for 5 mins but couldn't get the neck.
                                                                                                      In the second, i need to relax more facing a bettor guy.

Comment

Wed - Convict Conditioning

Handstand/Shoulders*
                                                                                                        Headstand - 2 mins continuous
                                                                                                        Crow Stand - 8 x 15secs

Found crow stands tough. Not a strength issue, comes down to holding position and keeping balance. A full minute will need work.
                                                                                                        I could prob skip this and manage the next step, 2min handstands, but doing it right should helP shoulder stability.

Squats/Legs
                                                                                                        Shoulderstand squats - 100 reps
                                                                                                        Jackknife Squats - 40 reps
                                                                                                        Supported Squats - 30 reps
                                                                                                        Half Squats - 50 reps
                                                                                                        Full Squats - 30 reps

Nice squat progression. No load, but is recommend it for anyone learning to squat for the first time or to improve depth.
                                                                                                        Advances to close feet squats, will be more taxing on joint mobility.

Leg Raises/Abs
                                                                                                        Knee Tucks - 40 reps
                                                                                                        Flat Knee Raises - 35 reps
                                                                                                        Flat Bent Leg Raises - 30 reps
                                                                                                        Flat Frog Raises - 25 reps
                                                                                                        Flat Straight Leg Raises - 20 reps

Nothing too strenuous here, but 150 reps takes a toil on the midsection.
                                                                                                        Moving to hanging raises from here.

Comment

...Struggling to make time...

Wed - Convict Conditioning

Pull-Ups/Back
                                                                                                          Standing Pulls - 50 Reps
                                                                                                          Horizontal Pulls - 15/18/14 Reps

Horizontal pulls are CC's phrase for inverted rows. Target is 30 reps x 3.
                                                                                                          Then move to jackknife's. Hopefully by getting there I'll be passively adding regular pull up reps.

Press-ups/Chest
                                                                                                          Wall press-ups - 50 reps
                                                                                                          Incline press-ups - 40 reps
                                                                                                          Kneeling press-ups - 30 reps
                                                                                                          Half press-ups - 25 reps
                                                                                                          Full press-ups - 20 reps

Another simple progression. From here it gets hard; close, uneven, lever press-ups

Bridges/Lower Back
                                                                                                          Short Bridge - 50 reps
                                                                                                          Straight Bridge - 40 reps
                                                                                                          Angled Bridge - 18 reps

These are tougher than they look. Thought I'd get along to a level or two more.
                                                                                                          But need to keep at them, was near fried at that stage.

Comment

Fri - Convict Conditioning

Handstand/Shoulders
                                                                                                            Crow Stand - 40, 20, 60 seconds
                                                                                                            Wall Handstand - 30 seconds

Had crow stands down this time. First felt like I had it. Slipped on the second, took a breather and made sure I got it on the next.

Squats/Legs
                                                                                                            Full Squats - 30 reps
                                                                                                            Close Squats - 20 reps, 30 reps,*

Close squats means heels are touching. A lot tougher. Not so much the loading, just keeping form and getting to full depth.

Leg Raises/Abs
                                                                                                            Flat Straight Leg Raises - 20 reps x 2

Slowed the tempo down to make them tougher.
                                                                                                            Was going to move on to hanging raises but no pull up bar here either

Comment

..two in a row...

Sat - Convict Conditioning

Pull-Ups/Back
                                                                                                              Horizontal Pulls - 23/23/16 Reps

Much better. Straight grip this time. Not far off 30 clean reps.

Press-ups/Chest
                                                                                                              Full press-ups - 20 reps
                                                                                                              Close press-ups - 20/15 reps

First time doing close PUs (aka diamond pressups). Whole different animal. With the full PUs I have maybe 40 or more in the tank, but these I was pressing hard to hit 20.

Bridges/Lower Back
                                                                                                              Angled Bridge - 8 reps

Meh. Was trying to do them off the end if a threadmill. Hands were slipping so left it

Comment

Sun - Convict Conditioning

Handstand/Shoulders
                                                                                                                Wall Handstand - 65/50/70 seconds

Was expecting to get to 2 mins easily enough. Approaching 1 min mark everything starts to shake. Getting stronger at this should improve shoulder stability.

Squats/Legs
                                                                                                                Close Squats - 25 reps, 25 reps,

It's a lot harder to stay in the hole with feet touching, but depth is fine if I keep moving.

Leg Raises/Abs
                                                                                                                Hanging Knee raises - 6 reps
                                                                                                                Flat Straight Leg Raises - 20 reps x 2

Wanted to move to hanging raises, tried to do them from the balcony door frame but didn't feel the strongest. (edit: the door frame, not my raises )
                                                                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 02-09-12, 20:44.

Comment

So, Holiday over. I was hoping to get in 2 or 3 BW workouts per week, but managed 4 plus one after I landed home. Better than nothing.
                                                                                                                  Still, it was enough to stop the massive American portions and generally bad food from having an effect on weight. Hopefully excess cals preserved muscle mass.
                                                                                                                  81.4kg this morning. Target will be sub 78kg in 4 weeks (BJJ comp)

I also got some new toys in the states.
                                                                                                                  Got a pair of the reebok Oly shoes. Looking forward to trying them out. Plus fight gear - shorts, top, gloves, cup

Comment

Mon - BJJ

Inverted row
                                                                                                                    Chest height - 30 reps
                                                                                                                    Waist height - 18/15 reps

Kinda want to complete a few more levels of convict conditioning. Going to throw a few sets in when I can.

BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                                                                    Knee ride - SC to knee, keep knee as they roll, take back with hooks
                                                                                                                    Mount , let them roll, take back
                                                                                                                    Knee ride to armbar, kimura, make space if you need to
                                                                                                                    Knee ride, move around head if they turtle

Rolling
                                                                                                                    3 x 5 mins

Rolling really took it out of me. Was pretty sloppy and made a few mistakes. A lot of this is down to fitness suffering after holidays.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 05-09-12, 11:46.

Comment

Thurs - Week 3.3

Warmup
                                                                                                                      Foam rolling

Squats
                                                                                                                      20kg x 5
                                                                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                                                                      80kg x 5
                                                                                                                      100kg x 5
                                                                                                                      120kg x 5
                                                                                                                      60kg x 5

Bench Press
                                                                                                                      20kg x 5
                                                                                                                      40kg x 5
                                                                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                                                                      70kg x 5
                                                                                                                      80kg x 5

Convict Conditioning
                                                                                                                      Bridging
                                                                                                                      Angled Bridges x 25, 15

Press Ups
                                                                                                                      Full x 10
                                                                                                                      Close x 10
                                                                                                                      Uneven x 10 (both sides)

Dialled the weight back as its been 4 weeks since I was under a barbell. Depth was great on squats, guessing BW work is helping mobility. Of course this makes the movement harder too.
                                                                                                                      Finished up with the last bit of CC for the week. Bridges went well for, and uneven press ups should progress smoothly.

Comment

Mon - BJJ

BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up
                                                                                                                        Trip, throw drills

Throws
                                                                                                                        Arm throw,
                                                                                                                        Hip throw,
                                                                                                                        Drop throw,
                                                                                                                        Flip throw,
                                                                                                                        Hook throw

Rolling
                                                                                                                        15 mins continuous with one of the blue belts. Tapped a lot.
                                                                                                                        Rolled one of the white belts after and did well.

Comment

Monday
                                                                                                                          Weigh-in: 77.8kg (-3.6kg)

Huge drop from last week. Diet was spot on last week but I'm not under any illusion that it was 3.6kg of fat loss. Mostly likely just water bloat post holiday. Gave the leangains protocol a go, found it a lot easier to stick to than expected. Going to keep it up for a while.
                                                                                                                          Based on this morning weigh-in I've decided to aim for the 73kg division at an upcoming BJJ comp the first week in October. That means losing 4.8kg in just under 4 weeks. Tight, but achievable.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X