Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Cheers man, I'll tell him you were asking for him. He lives in Spain now, still pokering away, plays a couple of tourneys a week. He's quite the nit, but he does ok

Give us what your typical week is, effort levels, paces etc. Doesn't sound right to be gassed out on a weekend long run.
    Well I'm a novice from the perspective of running but this week which is week 4 is the following and necessary notes

Monday 3KM run with some strength/stretching

Tuesday 6KM no notes on pace

Wednesday 4KM run 1KM easy, 2KM race pace, 1KM easy referred to as the Tempo Run

Thursday 4KM run with strength/stretching

Friday Rest Day

Saturday 8KM run

Sunday Cross Training

Comment

That's a solid week.

Keep your paces easy for everything bar that tempo section on Wed. The easy bits either side of it are v important. Warm up and cool down. It's tempting to skip them and do more of the harder stuff, avoid doing that.

Does sound like you were running your long run too hard this morn. It's an injury risk but more importantly imo, you're not getting the training benefit the run is designed to give you.

Easy running, the long run in particular is important for working your aerobic system. Building endurance. Run too hard and it becomes anaerobic.

It's hard to define 'easy' as everyone's different. Easy pace can vary too dependant on how you feel. It's better thought of as effort.

Easy effort. If you could stop at any point in your run and have a relaxed chat without being out of breath, you're in the right zone.

Should feel too slow.

What you'll find is your easy effort pace increasing the stronger your aerobic system gets. This obviously translates across all your pace ranges.

I've been doing that the last couple of years, 80 - 90% easy and have experienced huge improvement.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Also, meant to say. For your Thursday run, ie, the day after a session or a harder run, dial back the effort even further. Recovery runs are vital too.

Would be tempted to switch Thurs and Fri myself, but once you keep it vv easy on those days it'll help avoid injury.

Comment

Thanks Laz

I have flipped around days so I'll try that next week.

A few bits didn't go well between sleep, change of trainers, no breakfast so it's not overly surprising I was poor.
          On the plus side, I definitely recovered quicker than normal today.
          I knew it wasn't going well when my HR jumped quite quickly.

I'll drop in an update next week

Comment

I'll be doing Corkagh this weekend as part of an 8 mile run.

Will travel to Poolbeg for a meet up for sure. You want to pencil in a date?

Also Joe, be careful with your training. Try keep it all, or most of it, easy. Keep the pb attempts for races or the odd parkrun, maybe every three weeks. Not only will you avoid injury but you'll see vast improvement.
            Yeah I find it very hard to do the slow running as you don’t feel like you’re making progress! I’ve got slower over the course of the month as I’ve tried to train harder just to get the fitness up. It started as a weight loss thing so it worked for that purpose but I’d like to get faster now. I’m going to try add in some hill running too for strength.

Park run is a good barometer as I was 3 seconds slower than last time I did it, but there was a massive headwind today, so think strength wise I think it was good. I definelty need to loosen up before hand a bit better as with my formerly broken ankle it’s never completely free.

What would you recommend for a week’s training, assuming ~4:15 is top race pace? Is 5min/km too quick?

Comment

Yeah, 5:00 is too fast. Too fast for your vast bulk. That sort of pace serves a purpose though. E.g., a progression long run where you'll build from very easy to a decent clip over say 12 or 15k.

When you say 4:15 is your top race pace do you mean it's your 5k pace?

Mine is in and around that, 4:11 or so and most of my running is between 5:45 and 6:10 at the moment.

My goal 5k pace for 2019 is better than 3:59, when I get there the bulk of my running will still be in pretty much that range.

The gains are made at that slower pace. You're building the endurance to hold your fast pace for longer.

I'm just about to do a bit of cooking and getting kids to bed, I'll post up a sample week for you later.

Comment

Been thinking about what a typical week looks like, and what to recommend.

It really depends on where you are, where you want to be and what you can commit.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, you want to improve at 5k.

I've learned the hard way last year that there's no quick way to get where you want to be. You need a solid base of fitness before you can succeed, injury free, at taking chunks off race times.

Good news is it's the perfect time of year to build that base. A solid aerobic base.

I'm currently in week 5 of an 8 week base building phase. The intention then is to start a 12 week 5k training plan which will have me race ready at the end of May. Just in time for a whole Summer of races and parkruns.

A typical week right now is, rest Mon, easy Tue, easy with some strides (or little bit of tempo) Wed, easy Thurs, rest Fri, progression long run Sat, rest Sun. Building to 48km per week.

It's all about mileage and consistency. If you can, run four days a week, with a long run at the weekend. Three days is fine if you're limited to that.

Keep it all easy pace for a few weeks.

Tue - 5k easy
                Wed - 6k easy with 5x 100m strides
                Thurs - 5k easy
                Sat - 10k easy

The next week make the long run 12k, the following week make it 6k, 7k, 6k, 12k. Build slowly.

Go mad at parkrun if you want, but not every week, and include it as part of your long run. Build your mileage gradually.

Do that until late March then introduce some specific workouts, reps etc, and I guarantee you you will be running 5k in 19:xx

Comment

Got back into running this past while . No structure to it just when I get a chance. I find going out and doing just a mile at a good pace has me feeling excellent afterwards. I really enjoy the sweaty after run stretches too. Will never run 17m again for a 5k but the old familiar feelings are nostalgicaly enjoyable too.
                  I say get out and listen to your head and body .
                  Running is different for everyone. Yesterday had a hangover day and nearly seized up doing nothing Gotta keep moving I suppose . Good luck to ye all say hello as you pass me and please offer up some cpr should you think I need it.

Comment

Been thinking about what a typical week looks like, and what to recommend.

It really depends on where you are, where you want to be and what you can commit.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, you want to improve at 5k.

I've learned the hard way last year that there's no quick way to get where you want to be. You need a solid base of fitness before you can succeed, injury free, at taking chunks off race times.

Good news is it's the perfect time of year to build that base. A solid aerobic base.

I'm currently in week 5 of an 8 week base building phase. The intention then is to start a 12 week 5k training plan which will have me race ready at the end of May. Just in time for a whole Summer of races and parkruns.

A typical week right now is, rest Mon, easy Tue, easy with some strides (or little bit of tempo) Wed, easy Thurs, rest Fri, progression long run Sat, rest Sun. Building to 48km per week.

It's all about mileage and consistency. If you can, run four days a week, with a long run at the weekend. Three days is fine if you're limited to that.

Keep it all easy pace for a few weeks.

Tue - 5k easy
                    Wed - 6k easy with 5x 100m strides
                    Thurs - 5k easy
                    Sat - 10k easy

The next week make the long run 12k, the following week make it 6k, 7k, 6k, 12k. Build slowly.

Go mad at parkrun if you want, but not every week, and include it as part of your long run. Build your mileage gradually.

Do that until late March then introduce some specific workouts, reps etc, and I guarantee you you will be running 5k in 19:xx
                    Thanks for that Conor, I think the other things which is interesting to me is the mental side of the run. The first couple of time I ran without looking at my pace I ended up running much faster, but when I’m conscious of it i typically don’t. I’ll give these tips a go for the craic to see how I get on and update accordingly.

Comment

Ran a 4 mile race today in 31.32. Very happy with that considering the past couple of days I've had literally no energy in work. Got a nice long sleep in before it so naturally helped.

It really is mad how much faster you run a "race." Generally I run twice, maybe 3 times a week at most with an average of 9.5 min miles and I'd feel like I'm going 100% in them. I go out then and run >8 min miles in a race
                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                        Ran a 4 mile race today in 31.32. Very happy with that considering the past couple of days I've had literally no energy in work. Got a nice long sleep in before it so naturally helped.

It really is mad how much faster you run a "race." Generally I run twice, maybe 3 times a week at most with an average of 9.5 min miles and I'd feel like I'm going 100% in them. I go out then and run >8 min miles in a race
                        Thats good going, it seems like an unusual race distance? I do everything in km so had to do the mental conversion to see what pace you really did. Do yiu get out much?

Comment

Seriously neglecting the Strava these days

Comment

Move up levels lads

The Armagh 5k is an annual international road race run around the iconic setting of The Mall in Armagh, Northern Ireland

Comment

What is yer average km times when training.
                              How many runs per week ?

What decent running socks do you use ?

Comment

I'm so bad at present - in between sickness, the cold and windy weather and the extreme difficulty in getting out for runs due to the demands of a 1 year old (!), I've only done around 20km for each of January and February. And that's after 2 x 5km runs on January 1st!

In an ideal world, which for me was last summer when the lovely weather meant I ran a lot during my lunch time in work, I aimed for 20km+ per week, made up of two or three mid-week runs of between 6km-10km length and then a fast parkrun on Saturday mornings.

My average km time per mid-week run is around 4:50km, which I would guess is probably a little too fast for 'training' purposes and means I am a bit wrecked once I hit 8km and am ready to pack it in. Struggle to slow it down any more than this, feels very unnatural.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                  How many runs per week ?

5.50/5.75 per kilometre.
                                  It's slower than parkrun times but I don't consciously run slower - it just happens that way as I'm running solo so my mind drifts, it's usually dark and my route through the housing estate is twisty turny.

Trying for a consistent 14K a week. (Did a 12K on Saturday which was a new long distance and helped me back on track after falling a bit behind).

Bought a 3 pack of coloured running socks for €5 in Aldi a few years ago, they have served me well although the blue has a big hole on the right heel and the red has turned a bit pink.

Comment

How many runs per week ?

My average is around 5:35 but it depends on the run. Tomorrow will be 8k in and around that with some hill sprints and strides at the end.
                                    Wed will be 13k starting at 5:55 and building to 5:15.
                                    Fri will be 11k with 5x 3 min uphill bits at about 4:10
                                    Sat will be 5k at about 6.10 pace.
                                    Sun will be 14.5k 5:55 - 5:15

Have about 15 pairs of Nike ankle socks. Am always rooting around looking for a pair though.

Comment

I went out jogging. It seems I will need more than a yellow warning hurricane fully behind me to quicken my pace. I'm obviously too heavy to move.

Comment

Don't feel bad Solks. I'm slow too, probably averaging 6.60 per km on a regular run, down to maybe 6.20 under race conditions.

I'm getting fatter and slower too unfortunately as I hurtle towards 50 but soldier on we must.

Comment

I went out jogging. It seems I will need more than a yellow warning hurricane fully behind me to quicken my pace.
                                          Going downhill may help also ...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                            Don't feel bad Solks. I'm slow too, probably averaging 6.60 per km on a regular run, down to maybe 6.20 under race conditions.

I'm getting fatter and slower too unfortunately as I hurtle towards 50 but soldier on we must.
                                            I don’t feel bad, it’s just an observation.

Sometimes when I need a pick up, I close one eye. It makes me feel like I’m running faster. Sometimes I feel like I’m pushing too hard and then my ticker isn’t working so hard so it seems ok.

I deffo need to lose 2 stone if I’m to get fast. Turning 50 shouldn’t be a big issue. Bloke I know in Crumlin started running at 50 and is now one of the top vets in the country. He looks like death though, lost so much weight . One stone lighter and he’d be half my weight. Be interesting to see if I can improve to close to the old weight/speeds. Doubt it though as mentally I’m weaker, the slightest twinge in my chest and I think oh no slow down the tickers gonna explode, I don’t wanna die on the streets like a common drug dealer. Resting pulse is mid 50s which is ok I guess for a man touching 100kgs.

Comment

How many runs per week ?

I’m usually around 5:15 range as I never typically run longer than 5-6km and like to feel tired after. I did 12km today on Lazard’s advice at 6:00, the purpose of which was to set a 10km time for thr record and have something to clip away at, but when checking my phone at 8km I paused it which was incredibly annoying! Plus side was its 23C outside so it was enjoyable nonetheless.

On socks, I didn’t think it made a difference until I was recommended Balega socks by a colleague, they’re around €12 a pair but they are genuinely excellent for avoiding blisters (coming from a cynic).

Comment

Ran the MSB St Patrick's Day 5km today, hadn't planned on running it but signed up last night. Great race, very well organised and would do it again next year. I only signed up last night in order to give me a tough session this morning as I've been a bit lazy the last week with only 1 easy run.

Managed to run the race in 21:55 which is the fastest pace I've done a 5km in about 4 years or since I came back from Syndey. Laps were:
                                                4:10
                                                4:12
                                                4:08
                                                4:29
                                                4:26
                                                0:32

The 4th km was tough actually as was running into the wind for most of it but my pace was unsustainable anyway for my current level of fitness. There is a 5km in Castleknock on June 16th which I'm going to target for a PB and hopefully will be sub 20min. Will focus only on getting faster for next few months before the marathon training starts

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                                  Ran the MSB St Patrick's Day 5km today, hadn't planned on running it but signed up last night. Great race, very well organised and would do it again next year. I only signed up last night in order to give me a tough session this morning as I've been a bit lazy the last week with only 1 easy run.

Managed to run the race in 21:55 which is the fastest pace I've done a 5km in about 4 years or since I came back from Syndey. Laps were:
                                                  4:10
                                                  4:12
                                                  4:08
                                                  4:29
                                                  4:26
                                                  0:32

The 4th km was tough actually as was running into the wind for most of it but my pace was unsustainable anyway for my current level of fitness. There is a 5km in Castleknock on June 16th which I'm going to target for a PB and hopefully will be sub 20min. Will focus only on getting faster for next few months before the marathon training starts
                                                  What’s your 5km PB? That’s good running above

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                    What’s your 5km PB? That’s good running above
                                                    20:43 about 5 years ago when I was 7kg lighter. I've done a couple of other sub 21s but again was much lighter. If I can drop the weight (currently 85kg) I reckon I can get to a sub 20. Somebody told me out running one day that every kg costs you about 3s/km, nó idea if any truth in that but its now good motivation for me.

Comment

20:43 about 5 years ago when I was 7kg lighter. I've done a couple of other sub 21s but again was much lighter. If I can drop the weight (currently 85kg) I reckon I can get to a sub 20. Somebody told me out running one day that every kg costs you about 3s/km, nó idea if any truth in that but its now good motivation for me.
                                                      For me that's working about more like 5-7 secs per Kg and I'm making no pretence of trying to run any faster from one run to the next
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I did the Wicklow Gaol 10km today, 2nd run outside ever, 1st race, so I was pretty nervous to be honest. Nervous that I wouldn't run it without stopping tbh.

A combination of different things -sickness, work, commute- contributed to my training falling by the wayside in the lead up to the race. My training was confined to the treadmill which long term isn't particularly enjoyable. My longest distance in the lead up to the race was 7km.

The day was fantastic for a race, the course is apparently quite difficult approx 900ft elevation throughout the race.
                                                        The 1st km was slow (even for me) making space amongst the crowd, it's definitely not something I am use to so probably hung back too much.
                                                        After that, I was quite steady until the 6km mark after a steep incline where I passed quite a few people. However I then misjudged the remaining distance as one sign said 7km followed by another saying 6km approx 500m later.

The Half-marathon must have been tracking odd and 10km following even. I tried to kick on upon seeing the 7km sign as I felt I had quite a bit left. Silly mistake, as I should have trusted the watch but it's been acting up lately and clearly I was being optimistic.

Either way the impact I'm sure was miniscule but that 1km split was my 2nd fastest of the race either way.
                                                        I knew the 1hr mark was beyond me after my hiccup and decided at that stage to target 1hr 5min but I didn't get that unfortunately finishing in a somewhat disappointing 1hr 9min.

A tad disappointed by the time but in light of the prep I can't be too disheartened. My bro finished in 1hr which he was thrilled with so we signed up for Viking 1/4 marathon in Waterford and Thoroughbred in Kildare which I suspect a few IPBers may attend.

Overall, it was enjoyable and I'll use it as a baseline moving forward.

Comment

Good stuff Murdrum.

I did the half and it was a disaster from start to finish - drinking Friday night was stupid, wasn't focused in the morning, forgot to turn my running app on (well I didn't but it turned itself off as I put it back into my pocket), hamstring/glute twinge as soon as the hills started, got a stitch, bad bladder management, back muscle spasms.

I knew i was goosed at 5km and considered just walking back into town. By 10Km I seen the 500m in the sunup to the turn off considering ditching the half and taking the 10Km course home.

In the end I limped (kind literally) on and finished in 2:24:45. Glad I did. It might be my worst or second worst half time ever but it was a good lesson in not taking things for granted.

Hopefully Wexford treats me better in a month's time!

Comment

Hopefully Wexford is more what you're after. Fair dues to continue though given you were struggling by your own standards at the 5km mark.
                                                            If you're doing the Viking or Thoroughbred let me know.

We checked the race times and my bro finished 10 secs over the 1hr so he was raging but delighted as he felt he left some time out there.

I know things didn't go as planned Benny but in your opinion, how would you rate the course in terms of difficulty?

Comment

Well that was my second year and its by far the most difficult i've done in the five years i've re-engaged with running. I cursed it last year as well but did it 10 mins faster than this year.

I'm sure the Connemara half is probably more difficult but i doubt if there are many more hilly outside of actual hill running.

I'd be happy enough with 1:09 for the 10k and 1.05 wold probably be my goal for that course.

No plans for Waterford as it's a bit far away. I've run a half on the Curragh and its environs before and it was fun so could be tempted by that again (and will let you know if i am, cheers!).

Currently signed up for Wexford (which entails an overnight stay) and Clontarf in July and probably will do Clontarf again in November. I reckon 4 per year is my optimum number but i'll see how this year goes.

Carrying an ongoing hamstring issue on left leg which is affecting my power so not really sure how the year will pan out as it does't look like it's gonna fix itself with me stopping running and getting treatment and i'm not in a hurry to do that.

Comment

If yer dog is running at me growling and you don't pull it back , my reflex is to kick it over a hedge into farmer Joe's field . This is your last warning bethejaysus.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                  I did the Wicklow Gaol 10km today, 2nd run outside ever, 1st race, so I was pretty nervous to be honest. .
                                                                  This makes me so happy. Such an inspiring thread ...

Comment

Well that was my second year and its by far the most difficult i've done in the five years i've re-engaged with running. I cursed it last year as well but did it 10 mins faster than this year.

I'm sure the Connemara half is probably more difficult but i doubt if there are many more hilly outside of actual hill running.

I'd be happy enough with 1:09 for the 10k and 1.05 wold probably be my goal for that course.

No plans for Waterford as it's a bit far away. I've run a half on the Curragh and its environs before and it was fun so could be tempted by that again (and will let you know if i am, cheers!).

Currently signed up for Wexford (which entails an overnight stay) and Clontarf in July and probably will do Clontarf again in November. I reckon 4 per year is my optimum number but i'll see how this year goes.

Carrying an ongoing hamstring issue on left leg which is affecting my power so not really sure how the year will pan out as it does't look like it's gonna fix itself with me stopping running and getting treatment and i'm not in a hurry to do that.
                                                                    Knowing it was a relative tough run makes me feel a bit better moving forward, I'll probably be aiming for sub 1hr for the next race in June. I was considering adding the Portumuna forest run in too but that would be 3 10km races in 3 weeks which seems like a stretch.

I was considering the 3 KBC races but I'm in Italy for 1 so I'll think I'll wait till the Thoroughbred but perhaps ill add this: http://www.totaltiming.ie/event/splashworld-10k-2018/
                                                                    I'm assuming it's a quick race given winning time is 32 min range and the slowest is still sub 1hr 20min.

I've reset my program to begin again as of yesterday. If anyone wants it BTW they're more than welcome to it just drop me a pm, it's a Hal Higdon program.

Comment

I'm assuming it's a quick race given winning time is 32 min range and the slowest is still sub 1hr 20min.
                                                                      I've done a good few runs in and around Tramore and unless you are running laps out to and around the new road down past the back strand you will have some quare tough hills involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        I've done a good few runs in and around Tramore and unless you are running laps out to and around the new road down past the back strand you will have some quare tough hills involved.
                                                                        They have a lovely park run down there along the prom and I think it follows that route by the back strand. I'm going to try that some weekend soon. I live along the golf course road in Tramore so no excuse really.

I sent the link to GF's sis as her & her husband compete in everything. It seems that race is organised by Waterford AC so the standard is very high.

Comment

They have a lovely park run down there along the prom and I think it follows that route by the back strand. I'm going to try that some weekend soon. I live along the golf course road in Tramore so no excuse really.

I sent the link to GF's sis as her & her husband compete in everything. It seems that race is organised by Waterford AC so the standard is very high.
                                                                          Yeah they are a great club, the three WAC bobble hats I have are amongst my most prized possessions. You should aim to be picking up one of those in the first week in December.

Comment

I was considering adding the Portumuna forest run in too but that would be 3 10km races in 3 weeks which seems like a stretch.
                                                                            Lovely forest but the underfoot conditions over a half marathon are killer - loose stoney paths mostly. I remember cursing ever doing it but over 10km it might just be a bit more tolerable.

Comment

Stuck my phone down in the grass the other morning in Corkagh Park to film my hill sprints for analysing. Footage didn't really do much for analysing but got a couple of cool stills..

Comment

That first one is cool!

BTW I saw you across the crowd at Tymon on Saturday morning What buggy do you have? Will have to invest in one in the future.

Was a weird parkrun, for a decent crowd there were no 'fast' runners there really, I was in a leading group of three for the first 1k (which should never happen with more than 50 people!), two of us kept looking at our watches to double-check we were at the front despite running a 4+ minute pace!

Finished 4th, my highest place at Tymon, despite being over 40 seconds off my fastest time there. Very, very strange - wonder where the speedsters were on Saturday morning?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                  That first one is cool!

BTW I saw you across the crowd at Tymon on Saturday morning What buggy do you have? Will have to invest in one in the future.

Was a weird parkrun, for a decent crowd there were no 'fast' runners there really, I was in a leading group of three for the first 1k (which should never happen with more than 50 people!), two of us kept looking at our watches to double-check we were at the front despite running a 4+ minute pace!

Finished 4th, my highest place at Tymon, despite being over 40 seconds off my fastest time there. Very, very strange - wonder where the speedsters were on Saturday morning?
                                                                                  The Qwest challenge was this weekend in glendalough

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                    That first one is cool!

Ah shit, I didn't see you. We have the Bugaboo buggy, my wife bought me the running chassis for my birthday last year, it's called the Bugaboo Runner. It's really cool for running with, great over all terrain. Would recommend.

Spring marathon season right now, could be a reason. Rotterdam and Manchester were both yesterday.

Comment

Interesting, I’m also 85kg and could do with Being closer to 80, it’s a good incentive to get down as you say. Must revisit my running goals again from above as it’s gone by the wayside since January really.

Comment

Hope Kipchoge stops for a pish during the London Marathon today and then overtakes ass clown extraordinaire Mo Farah while farting in his face. Twice.

Inspiring read here

Down in Wexford for the half this morning. Perfect conditions - overcast, 10 degrees, light drizzle on and off.

Doesn't mean much though if I struggle like I did during my last 10k on Thursday when I had to call the wife and tell her I was going to be late cos I had to walk some of the way due to dehydration.

Last one was a woeful 2:25. If I could return to the 2:15 realm I'd be delighted.

At least I stayed away from the fried breakfast this year

Comment

Feck. Just checked last year's time for this race... 2:06:21.

Comment

2:13:47

Seven minutes slower than last year but 12 mins faster than last time out so I'm pretty happy I suppose.

Have made up my mind I have to see a physio/sports therapist though as my left hamstring (or whatever muscle it is) issue is not going away on its own and will probably undo me in the end of I don't get it seen to.

Next up a 10k on Tuesday and another on Thursday.

Comment

Seven minutes slower than last year but 12 mins faster than last time out so I'm pretty happy I suppose.

Have made up my mind I have to see a physio/sports therapist though as my left hamstring (or whatever muscle it is) issue is not going away on its own and will probably undo me in the end of I don't get it seen to.

Well done! Good improvement

Anybody doing the Viking marathon/half in Waterford in June?

I officially caught the running bug a few months ago and have signed up for the half. Running 3 times a week generally 4/5 or 6 miles depending on my shift rota and when the little club we have going on meet up. They generally go for long runs on Saturday mornings but it often doesn't suit with my shift pattern. Have the next 3 pencilled in so hopefully get the miles in. Plan is for >1hr 50 which is doable. Did a 10 mile race in 1hr22 about a month ago and had plenty left in the tank.

Also hoping to get a Dublin marathon entry in the July take

On the upside, the old weight has gone down to 88kg and near the overall 82kg target....book!

Comment

I officially caught the running bug a few months ago and have signed up for the half. Running 3 times a week generally 4/5 or 6 miles depending on my shift rota and when the little club we have going on meet up. They generally go for long runs on Saturday mornings but it often doesn't suit with my shift pattern. Have the next 3 pencilled in so hopefully get the miles in. Plan is for >1hr 50 which is doable. Did a 10 mile race in 1hr22 about a month ago and had plenty left in the tank.

On the upside, the old weight has gone down to 88kg and near the overall 82kg target....book!
                                                                                                N1 Switch, I'm doing the Quarter I hope, it's two weeks after Thoroughbred in Kildare.

Well done on the weight drop, looking to follow suit, could do with 10kg or so myself.

My own running training is bad because I'm suffering with some plantar fasciitis atm but my cardio overall is up, 4 times a week doing bike/crosstrainer intervals so certainly fitter but hopefully I can get the miles in within the next few weeks.

Comment

Really been pushing the training the past 3/4 months. Between 5 a side soccer, spinning/gym work and running for a while I was easily training 7 days a week. Golf is starting to take over now. If only I could have gotten addicted to 1 of them

Stoneyford is my next race. 10k on May 19th. Do you stilllive in Waterford?

Comment

Good stuff Benny. Do a bit of research on the physio, try find a running specific one. There's a crowd in Fonthill called the Pain & Performance clinic who are good, I think I paid €70 each for a couple of sessions, which I think is on the more expensive side, but the guy was good.

Comment

Nice one Switch. Great time for that 10 mile, suggests about a 1:51 half right now, but with a couple of months training you should easily smash 1:50.

Get those long runs in somehow, I'm doing these things called endurance long runs and they're amazing. You build the pace slightly throughout, finishing strong. Try a few of those and you'll see great improvements. Based off your times do a 10 mile (16km) run, do the first 4k at about 6:15km, 2nd 4k at about 6:00, 3rd 4k at 5:45 - 5:50 and the last 4k at 5:30 - 5:40. Do these once a week and believe me, you will run a half in 1:45 by year end.

Comment

Really been pushing the training the past 3/4 months. Between 5 a side soccer, spinning/gym work and running for a while I was easily training 7 days a week. Golf is starting to take over now. If only I could have gotten addicted to 1 of them

Stoneyford is my next race. 10k on May 19th. Do you stilllive in Waterford?
                                                                                                        That's great, it's taken a while but don't feel it's quite the chore it was, enjoying training again.
                                                                                                        I went back at football last week but my heel was really sore afterwards so I'm going to address this first.
                                                                                                        Following that AthLean-X guy on YouTube, apparently it's almost always tight calves.
                                                                                                        There might be something for you in there Benny.

Wondering how to fix plantar fasciitis once and for all? Not by doing the same overused methods that you've likely already tried. Here's a permanent fix for ...

Back playing some golf too, I'm living close to Tramore golf club so considering joining there soon.
                                                                                                        Situation is a tad complicated as I'm working in Dublin but basically 4 nights a week in Waterford and 3 in Kildare ATM.

Comment

Good stuff Benny. Do a bit of research on the physio, try find a running specific one. There's a crowd in Fonthill called the Pain & Performance clinic who are good, I think I paid €70 each for a couple of sessions, which I think is on the more expensive side, but the guy was good.
                                                                                                          Yeah cheers Lazare. Did just that last night and found a place that seems to have good sports experience anyway and close to my work. First appointment on Wednesday and I'll take it from there I suppose.

Comment

Yeah cheers Lazare. Did just that last night and found a place that seems to have good sports experience anyway and close to my work. First appointment on Wednesday and I'll take it from there I suppose.
                                                                                                            Good stuff.

A lot of issues are really simple, and simply fixed with footwear or particular excersises. We have a tendency to catastrophise these things, a trip to a physio usually sorts that part of it immediately. Putting your mind at ease is sometimes more important.

Comment

Good news on my watery leg.

Turns out it's just a weak adductor longus muscle and I don't have to stop running just do some exercise to try and strengthen it and try and avoid hilly runs for the time being.

No specific reason it should have happened just a common or garden running injury that never full got a chance to recover so if I work on it it should sort itself out.

Comment

Great news!!

Comment

Good stuff.

A lot of issues are really simple, and simply fixed with footwear or particular excersises. We have a tendency to catastrophise these things, a trip to a physio usually sorts that part of it immediately. Putting your mind at ease is sometimes more important.
                                                                                                                  What would you know, eh?

Comment

My 20K to Couch program is moving ahead nicely.
                                                                                                                    From a 1:57 half and 25 minute 5K a few years through ago, I've been sticking to a program with a bit of grit and determination and a whole lot of eating bread and butter I'm up 10 KG and am not really able to do 8K at 6:45 pace without stopping and puking along the way.
                                                                                                                    A rotten virus and chest infection that had me too sick to even do my daily walking for a month really helped so that I've cut out cycling and swimming completely and have only got out running jogging twice since it hit me in the last week of March but I've been really diligent in using the free time for extra eating.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 02-05-19, 09:48.

Comment

This may have been covered before but any suggestions on how to deal with shin splints?

I've always suffered from them but I used to be able to run them off and they'd go away within a few minutes.

Now they are worse than ever whereby even if I do a half decent paced walk, they kick in and running is unbelievably painful. There is no chance of running it off.

Comment

Going to attempt another 100km in May, it rhymes, I need it, and think I’ll attempt it with 10kms rather than 5km this time, as I’ve only done 3 10km in my life. Will keep to 6min pace to please Laz

Comment

20:26 at Corkagh parkrun this morning. Used it as a tune up race for Bob Heffernan which is Tue week.

Delighted with it, it's a nice pb, but I've a bit of work to do.

Couple of things going for me though.

Tune ups are supposed to be slower than your target race, as you don't have the benefit of a full taper. Also, BH is a faster course than Corkagh.

Fingers crossed. I'm confident I'll do it (sub 20) at some stage over the summer.

Training is working though. Ran 21:39 with my guts out back in Jan just before beginning this block, so a decent improvement.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X