This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Went to Ananda for a birthday meal recently (two years in a row, maybe the start of a new family tradition) - it's always a great option. I could well see a vegan meal being as nice as a meat-filled one. That being said.... prawns.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        ^^ You caused a memory reflex..

Has anybody been to 3 Leaves in Blackrock?

http://www.3leaves.ie/
        Just for lunch, was excellent

Comment

Yeah I was going out to a doctor in Blackrock a year or so ago and was pottering around the market beforehand. I tried the door of this unassuming place but it was locked, the chef saw me out the window leaving and waved me back. He informed me he wasn't open for hours and was just in preparing. I asked was anything vegan and he said "I can make you anything", so I just sat in there on my own while he went off to make me some dishes. It was an absolutely tiny place so it must have expanded by now. What he came back with was absolutely fantastic and really cheap, I was really shocked! If ever in Blackrock I'd be straight back, really nice guy and great food.

Edit: Found a pic of one of the dishes that cost a fiver. I was there in 2016, due back!

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 22-08-18, 22:31.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

^^ You caused a memory reflex..

Has anybody been to 3 Leaves in Blackrock?

http://www.3leaves.ie/
              Went again today, still excellent

Comment

Where would the exhausted suddenly toddler free couple go for a night out?
                We missed our wedding anniversary due to my dad's accident and can finally organize a night for the two of us.
                Thinking Dinner and cocktails.
                Have an inkling on the blind pig for the latter but somewhat lost on the former.
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  We missed our wedding anniversary due to my dad's accident and can finally organize a night for the two of us.
                  Have an inkling on the blind pig for the latter but somewhat lost on the former.
                  Sophie’s in the Dean is a great setting for Dinner and Cocktails.

Panoramic views of Dublin and nice buzz there.

Food is decent but not amazing.

Always like the bar upstairs in the Westbury for a couples nightcap.
                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    How about Asador? nice cocktails, nice food?

Comment

Based in Blackrock now and 3 leaves really is worth the visit.

I still think Anada is the best Indian in Dublin though

bah - I need to get there.
                      Last edited by Irisheman; 26-09-18, 12:58.

Comment

Shouk in Drumcondra never disappoints, sucha great lunch place. Nice to sit out in the sun when weather permits. It's the best place for that kind of food around imo, that smokey roasted aubergine thing in the bottom right is unreal.

Comment

Top fare at Mt Everest of Kathmandu Bray.
                          I would suggest the lamb jalfrezi, it was top class. The Korma was nice but just too sweet. Everywhere seems to be changing the wheel with Korma these days by making it sweeter?.
                          The complimentary poppadom and dips at the very start was even explained to me in detail as it was put in front of me like it was a new innovation. Maybe the waiter didnt see me as a citizen of experience in such matters but I let on nothing and went along like it was my first time in such an establishment as you just cant waive off tuition like this. Imagine saying yeah I know, just imagine that.
                          Very enjoyable meal.

Comment

Restaurant Name: Glovers Alley

Price Range: €€€€

Review:

Mrs Lao Lao's birthday last week so I booked this for the Saturday night.

On way to the restaurant, we stopped off in The Lucky Duck (the latest bar/establishment by the Press Up Entertainment Group who must own/run about two dozen places in Dublin at this stage) for a quick pre dinner G&T.

I can't for the life of me remember what was there beforehand (I actually initially confused it with The Swan which is the next street down) but I really like what they have done with the place. They have a little snug plus really large windows which are perfect for sitting with a drink and watching the world go by. Not on this night of course, as I was completely attentive to her needs seems as it was her birthday Two Hendrinks & Fever Tree was €20 on the nose which is OK for city centre and apparently they have a cocktail bar upstairs but didn't venture up to check it out.

From there, we strolled around to Glovers Alley for a 9PM kick off. The place looks good and smaller than it looks in pictures that I had seen. We started off with a glass of Champagne each (which I later realised that they didn't charge us for), had a few hors d'oeuvres and some freshly cooked bread and then got onto the main event of eating.

For starters, I went with the Aged Beef Tartare, Button Mushroom, Hazelnut, Chive while Mrs LL went with the Scallop Ceviche, Tomato, Radish, Vanilla. I really like beef tartare and find it hard to pass up on a menu and this delivered. There was several different types/textures to the mushrooms and it all just worked. I got a sliver of the ceviche and it tasted very good but I was happy with my selection.

For mains, I was torn between a few options (Lamb, Sucklin Pig, Duck and Monkfish) but when it comes down to choose as the waiter stands over you, there was always going to be one winner and I opted for the Comeragh Mountain Lamb, Summer Vegetables, Anchovy while herself went with the Suckling Pig, Turnip, Chorizo, Cabernet Sauvignon Vinegar. The lamb was devine but there was an odd addition of a lamb ragu which was served on it's own in a bowl on the side which was a bit strange. Don't get me wrong, it was luxurious and velvety and I scoffed it down but it just seemed odd to throw it in when then dish advertsied was more than enough of a main course. I don't think Mrs LL shared her pig which probably speaks enough about it.

Desert was Itakuja Chocolate, Passion Fruit, Banana for me and Citrus Souffle, Manjari Chocolate for herself. Mine was lovely, I'm a big fan of chocolate and this was light and a perfect way to finish off the meal. The souffle looked and tsted good but it was just too big, I think it was the biggest souffle I've ever seen in a giant ramekin and she couldn't finish it all.

The whole meal was washed down with a bottle of 2000 Chateau Gruaud Larose.

The staff were very friendly but they did seem a little nervous, almost on edge which was slightly strange as they have the location, environment and talent in the kitchen to pull off a great night out.

Total bill came to €316 - Would have been €352 if they had charged us for the Champagne.

I'd probably put it just ahead of One Pico, albeit, they haven't being doing it for over 20 years so that may be a bit harsh

Comment

Pretty sure it's an Irish thing to have korma sweet, people eating here for the first time are warned off it.

Have always thought I'd love to get a rounders trip report of probus wines on Fenian Street, it's an experience.

Comment

@ Lao Lao. I'd expect that wine to go for €300+ in a restaurant. What gives?

Comment

Brought it himself? Maybe. But then the food doesn't add up.

Korma here has always been realllllly sweet. Probably depends on the kinda place you go to.
                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 28-09-18, 19:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    Pretty sure it's an Irish thing to have korma sweet, people eating here for the first time are warned off it.

Have always thought I'd love to get a rounders trip report of probus wines on Fenian Street, it's an experience.
                                    Their jacks alone deserves a trip report. Been a few times but its always just a 1 or 2 max drink meeting point of a very early Saturday afternoon so usually empty enough at that time. Never ate there though save for a toasted sambo. I remember they have a strange payment policy. You pay for your food up front but you pay for the drink afterwards or something!. Seats are a killer too.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                      @ Lao Lao. I'd expect that wine to go for €300+ in a restaurant. What gives?
                                      Wine was 150.

3 course meal was 80 a head, 3 euro for still water, 3 for sparkling and 150 for the wine.

I had originally ordered a 2005 Cantenac Brown which was also 150 but the sommelier came over to advise they had none left and recommended the Larose, "which was drinking perfectly right now" - Unless they charged for the Cantenac in error but surely they wouldn't recommend a bottle twice the price of the one you originally ordered?

Comment

2000 St Juliens don't come cheap. Just looked it up on winesearcher there and it suggests an average retail price of €130 which would probably translate to around 300 in a restaurant. I'd say someone made a mistake, or maybe they were just offering a bargain. Hope it was nice

Comment

It was delish!

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                            Their jacks alone deserves a trip report. Been a few times but its always just a 1 or 2 max drink meeting point of a very early Saturday afternoon so usually empty enough at that time. Never ate there though save for a toasted sambo. I remember they have a strange payment policy. You pay for your food up front but you pay for the drink afterwards or something!. Seats are a killer too.
                                            I've actually never been to the jacks in there, dunno where it even is, just be past the beer fridge. Ah you're missing out on not eating there, the sandwiches normally come with an extended monologue.

Comment

That sounds like they just gave you the more expensive one for the same price, surely he knew what he was doing. Sweet deal!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                2000 St Juliens don't come cheap. Just looked it up on winesearcher there and it suggests an average retail price of €130 which would probably translate to around 300 in a restaurant. I'd say someone made a mistake, or maybe they were just offering a bargain. Hope it was nice
                                                This was bugging me as he defo said Larose to me and I was starting to think I was going mad. So on the way to the IFI Doc Festival, I dropped in and asked if I could look at their wine menu as I was in the other week and was wasn't sure what I had.

The front of house had just given me the menu when the restaurant manager came over (he obviously heard the conversation) and told me what I had, how much it cost and what I had originally tried to order!

I had Sarget de gruaud larose 2000 which is the second label of the chateau, (similar to Lynch Bages/Echo) and it was 150. They have a 2004 chateau gruaud larose on the menu for 220 so 300 would probably be about right 2000.

Had a good chat with Ed, who seems to be restaurant manager/sommelier. He's a very knowledgeable guy and could have happily spent an hour or two yapping away to him but had to head to the festival.

So, not mad, just a bit stupid :')

Comment

lol sorry I put you to all that trouble!

Yea he's the FoH manager there. Always game for a chat about wine or anything else.

Comment

Not at all, everything you said made sense which made me think I was cracking up.

The second label was fantastic so really want to get my hands on the main one now.

Comment

Did a vegan cheese and wine pairing event at Hugo's at the weekend, but why type how went when I can show you.

My top 3 wines were Chateau Haut Garriga Bordeaux, San Silvestre Ottone Piemonte Barbera and Louis Latour Macon Lugny, not expensive and great, nice to have the classic French Sommelier going through each as you have them of course.

Comment

Need to get back into some proper reviewing.

Going to Mr Fox at the w/e, which I have heard good things of.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I know the owner of that place. Use to work for her in another business she has in Ashbourne. Her and her partner pour absolutely everything they have into the business so good to see it works. I've only ever had takeaway from there and always been top notch.

Comment

Has anyone been to Rolys Bistro lately at all. Herself wants to go for nostalgia reasons for her birthday but I literally haven't been since the last century. Any use any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                              Has anyone been to Rolys Bistro lately at all. Herself wants to go for nostalgia reasons for her birthday but I literally haven't been since the last century. Any use any more?
                                                              I seriously doubt you’ll notice any difference. Same menu, same setup for years.
                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                Still excellent

Comment

Myself and Mia off to Kraków in 3 weeks and a polish lad I know told me visit this spot which is near our hotel.
                                                                  Table is booked for 6pm the day we arrive.

I'm. Loving the history of it, sounds amazing. I'd say mia will probably only eat dessert though lol

Hopefully do an oul trip report on it. Macdonalds then for following 2 days
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Was in Kinsale last week and went to Finns Table. Highly recommend if anyone is down in those parts.

Had the Lobster Mac n Cheese for starter and the Surf and Turf of fillet steak and scallops for mains. The missus had a trio of crab for starters and same mains and all the food for excellent. Even went for desserts after which usually don't and the milles feuilles (some lemon and lime based thing from memory) was top notch. Surf and Turf was about €38 so that's the sort of price range. Will def need a reservation too as place is pretty small.

Comment

I see Andrew Fairlie is retiring as his illness becomes terminal. Didn't recognise him in a recent group photo.

Had a very memorable meal there once. Unusual spot. Windowless room in the centre of Gleneagles Hotel. Awesome lobster.

Comment

I've eaten in Sophie's twice, both times when I wasn't in charge of organising the night. Once was a best friends birthday and once was a mate over from the UK who I hadn't seen in quite a long time. Otherwise, I would have made excuses and not gone.

Both times, the service was pretty crap and the food was at best average and that's been kind.

I'm pretty certain that if you asked the owners, they'd openly tell you that they have no interest in the food side of things and are all about trying to make it a destination place to go where people want to be seen, got to get an insta snap sitting on the swings! The really sad part is that anybody who really wants to be seen there is a bint of the highest order. Over the top prices for mutton dressed as lamb, we are well and truly back!

Comment

Restaurant Name: The Ivy

Location: Dawson Street, Dublin 2

Website: https://theivydublin.com/

Price Range: €€€

Review:

We were given a voucher as an engagement present and despite reading the reviews that were out there, decided we would give it a spin as with a €200 voucher, it would cost us nothing.

We rocked up to our 9pm reservation bang on time and after having our coats taken were brought straight to our table. The tables were pretty tight together and looking around, there was a lot of groups of women with a few couples dotted about the place, definitely no lads out for dinner sans partners. The place was LOUD! Loud colours, loud from the noise of people talking and really, really loud music being pumped out, I wasn't sure if I was in a restaurant or a late bar. It was actually hard to hear herself across the table at some points.

Our waitress was one of those people who are a little zany, slightly over familiar and really annoying to be honest. While topping up peoples water at the table next to us, she dramatically lifted the bottle by the very top of it, threw it straight up in the air, caught it at the very end and then poured with a smug smile on her face at how great she was, she wouldn't have been out of place in a Cirque du Soleil show.

Anyhow, we ordered a G&T each while we were looking at the menu. The gins came over fairly promptly , delivered to the table by somebody other than our waitress. We tried to order a bottle of wine at this point but the new waitress seemed a little surprised by this and seemed a bit lost so I repeated the order 3 times and very clearly pointed out the wine we wanted on the menu. She nodded and went off. The pricing on the wine was OTT for me and definitely didn't resemble any value whatsoever.

Waitress number 1 re-appeared and we ordered our food, I went for the crispy duck salad to start and herself went with the tempura prawns. Rather oddly, we both decided to order steak for mains, I'm not sure why we both went with it but we did. There was also a side of chips and Sprouting broccoli, lemon oil and sea salt ordered.

Starters arrived and to be fair, they were OK, nothing to write home about but nothing to really criticise either. Although, we still didn't have our wine by the time we had finished our starters. Our waitress again popped up from nowhere so we enquired about the wine. When we explained who we ordered it from, she laughed, 'Ah, she hasn't a word of English, she'd have no idea what you were ordering, sorry about that, I'll get it for you now' - This I found to be absolutely bizarre but I held my tongue.

Mains arrived and it was here that I realised that I shouldn't have ordered steak. My medium was at best medium well and bordering on well. Mrs Lao Lao's was ok but they were just a little bland. Chips were chips and the broccoli tasted good with the oil and salt.

After this, we still decided to order a dessert and to be honest, I've completely forgotten what I ordered. It was something chocolatey and it was stodgy and heavy and again average.

We got the bill and was rather surprised and slightly horrified that it came to €211. I hadn't really been looking at the prices when ordering the food but on review of the bill, there was a glass of wine on there that we didn't order (they took it off when we queried it) plus you had to pay an extra €3.95 each for a sauce with the steak. So for a main, it was 32.95 for a 7oz fillet plus 3.95 for the sauce plus 4.50 per side, so just the 41.40 for a main course each! When the glass of wine was taken off, the bill came down to €201 odd so we handed over the voucher with another €25 in cash and headed for the door.

If I were to given another voucher for The Ivy, I'd use it to light the fire rather than sit through that again.

Comment

They'll be glad you tipped in cash.

Tips at the Ivy restaurant: Following the money

Comment

HHE January 2019 Outing

The first HHE outing of 2019 will take place on January 10th in Vintage Kitchen, Poolbeg Street.

Booking is made for 8 people and I'm obvious taking one of the spots so there is 7 places ups for grabs.

As with previous years, there will probably be drop outs so will also take a reserve list.

Booking is made for 8:30 so suggest we meet in Mulligans for a pre dinner tipple from 6:30 onwards.

Comment

I'm in you filthy animal.

(Will bring a good bottle )

Comment

I shall attend
                                                                                  Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Inski

Comment

I’m in

Comment

In

Comment

In as well if there is space.

Comment

I’ll go on the list please.
                                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Nearly a 100% retention rate?

Comment

Missing Strewelpeter. Possibly afraid of my amazing drunken cash game skills

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                  Nearly a 100% retention rate?
                                                                                                  Iago will probably fly back for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                    Iago will probably fly back for it.
                                                                                                    going to miss it by 3 weeks. Boo and/or hiss.
                                                                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

In
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Won’t make it this year gents but enjoy. Was in VK the Friday before Christmas and it was as good as ever.

Might see a few of you at Noel’s gig on the 19th.
                                                                                                        The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

...Whilst the thread is active, anyone have any suggestions/tips for restaurants in Reykjavik that won't Rob me?...I've heard they are stupidly expensive for even ordinary dinners...

Comment

We've 9 people for 7 seats so presume fairest way is to draw names. I'll do it later tonight

Comment

Got side tracked by the pub last night

People in alphabetical order are

1) Denny
                                                                                                              2) Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                              3) Hectorjelly
                                                                                                              4) ionapaul
                                                                                                              5) New Approach
                                                                                                              6) Raoul
                                                                                                              7) Strew
                                                                                                              8) The Aul Swith
                                                                                                              9) V

I then used random.ord (pic below) to sort 1-9 and we get the following

Lao Lao
                                                                                                              Strew
                                                                                                              Ionapaul
                                                                                                              Denny
                                                                                                              V
                                                                                                              The Aul Switch
                                                                                                              Raoul
                                                                                                              Gimmeabreak

With reserves of New Approach and Hectorjelly

Comment

Restaurant The Gallery Church bar

Reason. Christmas voucher been used

First time in this pub in a couple of years, night out with the boss

Starters
                                                                                                                Black pudding and glazed hens egg with apple sauce and bacon bites (not great with fancy names) for myself
                                                                                                                Wife went for the Dublin bay mussels in cream sauce
                                                                                                                2 very good starters
                                                                                                                Mains
                                                                                                                Both been vegetarian(not) we went for steak medium to well done complete with mushrooms onions garlic potatoes and a Bernese sauce
                                                                                                                Very tasty
                                                                                                                Deserts
                                                                                                                Lovely apple crumble with bean vanilla ice cream for myself
                                                                                                                Good wife went for the chocolate brownie with ice cream
                                                                                                                One glass of house wine and a few bottles of peroni made it a very nice night out
                                                                                                                Night only cost €120 based on voucher and a few bob won on the nags in limerick

Not great on these reviews but a nice place with a nice atmosphere
                                                                                                                Will be back

Comment

My contribution to the vino pool for Thursday night

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                    Got side tracked by the pub last night

People in alphabetical order are

1) Denny
                                                                                                                    2) Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                    3) Hectorjelly
                                                                                                                    4) ionapaul
                                                                                                                    5) New Approach
                                                                                                                    6) Raoul
                                                                                                                    7) Strew
                                                                                                                    8) The Aul Swith
                                                                                                                    9) V

I then used random.ord (pic below) to sort 1-9 and we get the following

Lao Lao
                                                                                                                    Strew
                                                                                                                    Ionapaul
                                                                                                                    Denny
                                                                                                                    V
                                                                                                                    The Aul Switch
                                                                                                                    Raoul
                                                                                                                    Gimmeabreak

With reserves of New Approach and Hectorjelly

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to cancel. My aunt is receiving palliative care and prob won't last the next couple of days. Pretty busy at home with a big family so can't justify going to Dublin for a piss up. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                                                      I'm afraid I'm gonna have to cancel. My aunt is receiving palliative care and prob won't last the next couple of days. Pretty busy at home with a big family so can't justify going to Dublin for a piss up. Enjoy
                                                                                                                      No problem, thanks for letting me know - Sorry to hear about your Aunt.

New Approach, you're next up, are you OK to go Thursday?

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                                                        Less than an hour after posting and she has passed. Managed to last 38 years with MS until 67, beating cancer twice and a stroke, to still be coherent and talking until the end. Got to see her grandkids grow up to. What a struggle to stay here

R.I.P

Comment

Sorry to hear Eoin, sounds like she was a warrior. RIP.

I’m able to make it on Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X