Punchestown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Punchestown

Thought I'd start a thread for the Punchestown Festival. Should be a great few days of racing, and hopefully we can find some winners!

The first day is arguably the best, as it features what is for many the race of the week, the Boylesports Champion Chase. exciting Novice is taking on Forpadydeplasterer, Kalahari King and Twist Magic, amongst others. Personally I fancy Twist Magic in this, he has been in the form of his life this season (ignore lto, hates Cheltenham), loves the ground, trip is optimum and he won his only previous start at the course. Top novice Sizing Europe obviously has very strong claims also, he too will love the ground, but I reckon he needs to improve again to beat these. I believe he should be in the novices race, I'm not a fan of racing outside novice company until necessary.

I will just have a quick look at the two other grade 1s on the card, first of which is the Champion Novice Hurdle. Favorite is General Miller, who after falling early at Cheltenham, gained compensation at Aintree when beating supreme Novices winner Menorah. However, he had a hard race that day, at this comes only 11 days later, so on that basis alone I feel he can be taken on at a short price. Willie Mullins fields 2 who ran down the field at Cheltenham, Blackstairmountain and Flat Out. The former should like this fast ground, but he has been beaten since Cheltenham (on soft ground). Flat Out is a classy horse, but he will rather further. Sweeps Hill is an interesting contender, he was second to Dunguib in the Champion Bumper here last year (subsequently awarded the race) and is coming into this off a break, so he may be one to keep onside.

The third Grade 1 of the first day is the Champion Novice Chase. The key horse in this race is Zaarito, and whether or not he will jump round. He has fallen on 4 of his 7 starts over fences so far, so obviously backing his has an extra element of risk attached, although this is factored into his price. I believe he will jump better on this faster ground, and there is little doubt he is the classiest horse in the race if doing so. The trip on 3m1f is completely unknown for Zaarito, and there is enough question marks for me to avoid his today. The second favourite is The Midnight Club, who ran very well over an inadequate trip at Cheltenham. He will love the step up in trip, but the ground could be a little faster than ideal. I can tell you he is very strongly fancied, and I will be backing him. Others in the race are Jandanli, who benefited from Zaarito's departure last time in the Powers Gold Cup, but his best form is on soft ground. Saddlers Storm needs to improve markedly, and China Rock is held by Midnight Club on Cheltenham form.

Sorry I couldn't do any of the other races, have to get some study done, but hopefully over the course of the next number of days we will find some nice priced winners in this thread!

Racecards

Yeah I'm also opting for Twist Magic in the big race today. I think you can put a line through his Cheltenham form because he seems to be two different horses on left and right handed courses. Nicholes' has good form in this race in recent years too. Hopefully Champ can steer him home.
    Profit before people.

Comment

Anyone looking to back Zaarito could so alot worse than take the 15/8 'Faller's Insurance' with Paddy Power. Normally I completely ignore these sort of bets, a bookies benefit, but this could be an exception. You get your money back if he falls.

edit: Then again it's nearly a 30% worse price, is his liklihood of falling ~30%? I don't think so tbh. Honestly feel the trip is as big a doubt.

Comment

Barker has to be a bit of value e/w in the 2m champ chase today. 16/1 at the moment with PP who are paying 1/4 places 1,2,3

He is rated the same as Sizing Europe yet is about 7 times his price, beat Forpadytheplasterer by 15 lengths over C/D this time last year.
        Pulled up in the ryanair but 2m 5f in cheltenham is too long for him imo. Unseated in his only other run, a lot fresher than most of the others and the drop back down to 2m should bring out the best.

Worth a point or two e/w.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          one bet today for me. China Rock at 13/2.

I have a steamer for the first race tomorrow.
          Don't forget to pass it on to us mere mortals who got scalded at Chelt

Comment

Backed ForPaddydeplasterer e/w and Jet Master. Fair punts.

Comment

Got very strong word from a few different sources about this Scoter Fontaine in the Land Rover. Price is short for the race but make of it what you will. Derek O'C down to 10 8 or so to ride him....

Comment

Kalahari King and Blackstairmountain my two wagers for today.
                Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Fantastic opener, do well to see a better race all festival!
                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                    Got very strong word from a few different sources about this Scoter Fontaine in the Land Rover. Price is short for the race but make of it what you will. Derek O'C down to 10 8 or so to ride him....
                    Couldn't quicken when needed to, I was mildly surprised to see my in play lay matched at 2.2, but amazed to see he went as low as 1.4. Not sure if those backers where watching the same race as I was.

Comment

If Ted and Ruby were to give up the TV and start betting the in running markets they could make a fortune
                      Twist Magic was 'Never starting from the minute he went down' Says Ruby though he said the opposite before the race 'He'll look like he's not going to go but he will' and according to Ted there was only one winner from four out (when he was trading at 4/1 with Sizing Europe at 1/1)
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just home from pub. I've laid a pal 13/8 Denman, kinda blindly. I took his word it was generally available 6/4, which it is, as well as being available for 13/8 with some firms, so no hassle there, at least I wasn't conned on the price.
                        Anyway, I've had it in the back of my mind for some reason Denman was only coming over here to please sponsors, rather than try to win the race, hence why I took the bet (well, a dozen Guinness was also a factor).
                        Anyone else agree it's a lay?

Comment

Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
                          Just home from pub. I've laid a pal 13/8 Denman, kinda blindly. I took his word it was generally available 6/4, which it is, as well as being available for 13/8 with some firms, so no hassle there, at least I wasn't conned on the price.
                          Anyway, I've had it in the back of my mind for some reason Denman was only coming over here to please sponsors, rather than try to win the race, hence why I took the bet (well, a dozen Guinness was also a factor).
                          Anyone else agree it's a lay?
                          No any run within 10lbs of his Cheltenham run and he wins imo.

Comment

silver jaro in the first 33/1 is available.

Boyles going first 5 also.

Comment

Notre Pere each way at 33's for me in the feature. Hoping he can defy recent form and win this race again this year. There has to be slight ground issues for all the leading contenders Denman, Joncol and Cooldine IMO. Agree The Tank is a lay at current price too.
                              Profit before people.

Comment

Don't really fancy anything in the big race, I have laid Joncol, Tranquil Sea, Barbers Shop, War of attrition and Planet of sound coupled at 30%, happy enough with that.

Think 7/4 is about the right price on denman tbh.

Also I wont have time to do a write up like yesterday, but oddschecker have timeform comments and spotlights which are much better anyway! http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/punchestown

Comment

Originally posted by Rekop Dog View Post
                                  Notre Pere each way at 33's for me in the feature. Hoping he can defy recent form and win this race again this year. There has to be slight ground issues for all the leading contenders Denman, Joncol and Cooldine IMO. Agree The Tank is a lay at current price too.
                                  I was thinking about him too but wouldn't decent ground be even more against him than the others?
                                  OTOH times from yesterday show that its no car park.
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

just got him at 20/1 now on pp

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

I think it might be smart to take on Denman EW. J'y Vole and Cooldine are my two.

Taking a small interest in the Hunter Chase in the 2 young horses near the top of the betting. O'Connor's and Bolger's.

Obv ginormous EW value in the H'Cap Chase.
                                      Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by eight-ball View Post
                                        just got him at 20/1 now on pp
                                        Did they take your wallet too

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                        I think it might be smart to take on Denman EW. J'y Vole and Cooldine are my two.

Taking a small interest in the Hunter Chase in the 2 young horses near the top of the betting. O'Connor's and Bolger's.

That Tyrone Golden Rain is very fancied. A friend of mine who knows a ridiculous amount about p2p form says he is a machine. Apparently owners turned down 250k. We'll see today if he is as good as they say.

Comment

Shot From The Hip is a cracking bet at 13/2, just couldnt settle at Cheltenham early so ran no sort of race. Back on home turf im expecting a massive run today.

Cooldine looks a decent ew bet but did flop at this meeting last year after winning the RSA, hopefully hes not over the top and can do himself justice.

I wouldnt be too eager to lay Denman for huge amounts, this is a really weak race.
                                          None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Lads did't want to start a new thread so i'll post it here, A mate of mine told there was a programme on rte recently about Paul Nolan and his stables. Anyone know the name of the show or is it online/being repeated?

Cheers in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by BiGpApPa View Post
                                              Lads did't want to start a new thread so i'll post it here, A mate of mine told there was a programme on rte recently about Paul Nolan and his stables. Anyone know the name of the show or is it online/being repeated?

Cheers in advance.
                                              It was appropriately called 'Horses', not sure when it will be repeated though.

Comment

Would anyone have a link to the 1st race please?

Edit: just realised the time

Comment

That Tyrone Golden Rain is very fancied. A friend of mine who knows a ridiculous amount about p2p form says he is a machine. Apparently owners turned down 250k. We'll see today if he is as good as they say.
                                                  Scoped badly fwiw

Comment

i think shot from the hip is valoo at 7/1. think polmar has a squeak at 14's

dont hedge - he is a lay of epic proportions today and i think il probably lay him in the place market also.
                                                    Nice one Noel

Comment

i think shot from the hip is valoo at 7/1. think polmar has a squeak at 14's
                                                      I don't back much over the jumps, usually just the big ones. Fancied a few bets today so went with your 3 picks. nice one Noel

Comment

Oh bink. Layed Denman for win & place. Had J'y Vole and Cooldine E/W too, but still nice profit for the race.

Ended up laying O'Connor's horse in the hunter chase and backing Bolgers. Nice 14/1 winner!

Backed Hidden Universe, but only for small money.

Backed two horses in the hcap chase, one of them was Hairy Molly E/W.

Long may it continue imo.

Will be laying Captain Cee Bee again tomorrow depending on price. Layed him in Cheltenham too. Haven't decided on anything else, and mightn't even have anything else tomorrow.

Comment

I backed RT in the Arkle and he got badly outpaced before staying on again at the death. I thought a step up in trip would be on the cards after that.

Comment

Bet of the week is tomorrow - Riverside Theatre, the 7/2 is just plain huge and he needs to be backed like defeat is out of the question. some people are losing the run of themselves if they feel there is only fractions between a horse like him and psycho in tomorrow race. Captain Cee Bee burst for the second time in Cheltenham so i leave him alone on that basis alone. As Novice chasers go Osana is exposed and i am confident i have him put away with my lad. I expect Sports Line to run okish but his day will be in navan int he mud next winter.
                                                            Like the look of this fella too, however I would definitely have at least a saver on Let Yourself Go. He is quickly improving, has tons of scope, will love the ground. He has always been highly touted ever since he won his P2P and tomorrow might just prove them right. He was pulled up lto (v heavy ground), and as a result 20s is way too big here I think.

Should also add that I fancy Karabak in the Ladbrokes world hurdle. You can't be certain Quevega will get the trip, and I don't trust Mourad if it gets close (he isn't good enough to win this by 7l+), Powerstation isn't at Cheltenham, Noble Prince is far from certain to get the trip and the rest are varying degrees of not good enough. Karabak has been running with credit against top class opposition this year, he will like the ground, trip is no bother and the track should be fine (seems versatile wrt the course). 5/1 is a super price imo. An interesting contender also is Bensalem, reverting to hurdles after a year of suspect jumping of fences. He might be running on well at the finish too.

Last edited by NewApproach; 21-04-10, 23:33.

Comment

if thats what you thought then i suggest watching the race again.
                                                              Why what did you think of it??

Comment

Psycho is far too short at 9/2 imo.

Having a small bit on Karabak too.

They're my two bets of the day.

Comment

Ended up backing Quadrillon at 7s to lay off later as well. Got off at 4.3/1. Life is good.

Comment

Anyone rate Berties Dream as a place chance in the 5.30?
                                                                    I was in Sligo when he won there, and he followed that up with an impressive performance at Cheltenham.

Have backed him each way at 16/1 although he'll need to outdo himself by all accounts,but couldnt resist seeing as hs been good to me in the past

EDIT: Hes a N/R now ffs

I think Gimmeabreak is on the money here with Riverside theatre,I couldnt believe he's available at 10/3.
                                                                    Last edited by NoRiverRequired; 22-04-10, 15:09. Reason: Update

Comment

Tips for tomorrow ?

Comment

5/2 Dunguib, wtf

Comment

Lol yea Dunguib is lol short

Comment

Lol yea Dunguib is lol short
                                                                            He will prolly start shorter when all the irish eejits get stuck in tomorrow

Comment

#39
                                                                              Dunguib has a very good chance tomorrow.
                                                                              If Hurricane Fly is back to his very best he might be tough to beat, if not Dunguib wins imo.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                                                Dunguib has a very good chance tomorrow.
                                                                                If Hurricane Fly is back to his very best he might be tough to beat, if not Dunguib wins imo.
                                                                                Well you can get 7/2 right now if you want. This race will suit him a lot more than the Supreme though.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Well you can get 7/2 right now if you want. This race will suit him a lot more than the Supreme though.
                                                                                  Yeah hes 4.6 on Betfair atm anyway.

I just think Punjabi and Solwhit will run no sort of race.
                                                                                  Voler La Vedette isnt up to this, Kings horses are running awful all year and Medermit probably isnt good enough anyway.

Can really see him tanking along and going close.

If i had to back one it would be Hurricane Fly though i think.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    I said it at the time but that run just more or less reinforced the strong opinion I held at the time. I believe Nolan made an error in not running Noble Prince in the Coral Cup rather then the County Hurdle.
                                                                                    Haven't trawled back through the thread, but I did take on board your trainer/jockey combo proviso (at least I think it was yours!). Pissed again (obv -- look at the time!) but I'm freerolling for the festival thanks to not "backing off" on my Denman lay following your advice here. I like Muirhead each-way for today. Would you be dissuading me? KP

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                                                      If i had to back one it would be Hurricane Fly though i think.
                                                                                      He is flying at home and thats the reason they put quevega in the longer race yesterday.

They also expect Fionnegas to go very close today.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Hurricane Fly still 7/2 in a couple of spots. Lump in. If he's fully fit he looks a great price. Looks like plenty of money for him. Dunguib on the drift.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Its a no bet race for me anyway.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Heading off to Punchestown now really hope to see a good race between Hurricane Fly and the rest. Big fan of Luska Lad in the novice hurdle and Copper Bleu in the Chase.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Laying the front two in the market.

Backing Punjabi and Won In The Dark.

Gonna bink massive.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by The C Kid View Post

Gonna bink massive.
                                                                                                Stick to golf betting I think, Hurricane Fly is a massive price, winnar IMO

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Its a no bet race for me anyway.
                                                                                                  Originally posted by The C Kid View Post

Gonna bink massive.
                                                                                                  I've changed my mind and done the same, laying the top 2 at 6/5 is pretty good. Basically both have a lot to prove to live up to the hype imo, and both have questions of their own to answer (jumping/race fitness).

I've backed Ronaldo de Mottes fwiw

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I'm already in the process of laying the top 2. Great minds think alike hopefully! Thats my main bet today.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Loots being layed on Dunguib at 3.1/1

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        I'm on Hurricane Fly.
                                                                                                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          \0/ Great ride from Paul Townend. Willie Mullins is awesome.
                                                                                                          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            UGGG

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Good race, decent horse.

Dunguib gamble was epic.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Ho Ho Ho

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Get it the fly you daisy
                                                                                                                  "Quitters never win, Winners never quit."

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    I'm on Fionnegas in this one.

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                                                      I'm on Fionnegas in this one.
                                                                                                                      Reve de sivola for me

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by Howard_Finkel View Post
                                                                                                                        Reve de sivola for me
                                                                                                                        Won well in the end, looked beaten early.

I got off Fionnegas at 1.8, it went all the way down to 1.3.

Reve De Sivola was backed at 32, though there would have been bigger available.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X