Golf Betting Thread 2014 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf Betting Thread 2014 Season

Let's can the old thread and start afresh.

Have taken some of Casey in Abu Dhabi and Charlie Howell in the Humana.
    Small e/w double on both as well.

Good luck to Elbows as well in your challenge, You're a long shot to finish that in profit in my experience of viewing these and my own experience of losing my load on golf. Prove me wrong, man.

Best of luck this year fellas.

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
    Let's can the old thread and start afresh.

Have taken some of Casey in Abu Dhabi and Charlie Howell in the Humana.
    Small e/w double on both as well.

Good luck to Elbows as well in your challenge, You're a long shot to finish that in profit in my experience of viewing these and my own experience of losing my load on golf. Prove me wrong, man.

Best of luck this year fellas.
    It is very tough, I love golf more than any other sport, so many guys can potentially win each week. I thought that if I write it down it will show up what you are winning or losing and hopefully stop leaks, speculative bets (of which I have a few). Had some biggish scores in the past but generally only 2 a year so I want to see how this works out over a season. I love picking a few young players and following them. I remember backing Duval a lot and he couldn't win a tourney and suddenly he pops in 3 in a row.
    Last edited by elbows; 15-01-14, 16:42. Reason: Selective Memory
    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

My best betting memory was Lucas Glover for the US Open in Bethpage. I watching an inside the PGA Tour earlier that year and it said how Lucas has really improved his iron play and he was pretty much the best in total driving on the tour at that point. Was on him large (well large for me anyway) and thought nobody will have this guy. I ask my brother in law who has a bet in the majors and plays limited golf, who are you on and he says Lucas Glover and I thought how the fuck is he on him. He said Bob Bubka had tipped him on newstalk.
      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I've really tried in the past to take to McIlroy but never could and his performance here last year probably soured me at some level against him as a person lifetime (I wouldn't imagine this will bother him).

He arrived here on top of the golf world, his end to 2012 made him the dominant golfer with a stretch of stunning results stemming from his 2nd major success in the PGA Championships.

I'm not sure what kind of practice he had with the new clubs back then but there was an air of entitlement about him that was very off putting. He played like someone ranked 300+, he had lost 30 yards off his drive, putted like an 18 handicapper, yet after missing the cut went straight to Monaco and didn't practice for three weeks.

On the back of the fact he was using new clubs with the massive nike deal his level of indifference to where his game was at seemed astounding to me. It seemed he had decided that he was so talented he could just turn up when he felt like it and be successful. Who could of predicted the disaster of a year that was to follow, but there can be no doubt that he brought much of it on himself.

Over the last few months he's definitely re discovered the work ethic that needs to be in place to be at the top in golf. I watched his round this morning, he is driving it excellently and the rest of his clubs look close to peak as well. Whether he wins this week will come down to how he putts over the next three days, I've seen enough to form the opinion that he'll go very close and think the 7.8 available on betfair a is very fair price and I've taken it.

Whatever happens this week I feel he seems to have copped on, is showing a new maturity and employing a dedication that will stand him in good stead for the coming year.
        Last edited by nicnicnic; 16-01-14, 14:17.

Comment

Didnt get involveld in Dubai this week....yet

B.Horschel main bet in the Humana 25/1. PP going 6 places...
          "the impossible is often untried"

Comment

Could be 30 under winning this week if the wind stays light

Comment

Some round by big phil. McIlroy looks very good. Would be nice to have them paired together tomorrow.

Comment

Fairly certain Rory incurred a two shot post round penalty in this tournament in 2012 and was beat a shot in the end by Rock

edit; yep http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/gol...mpionship.html
                Last edited by nicnicnic; 18-01-14, 15:35.

Comment

costly penalty for me but Rory had every chance, putter and wedges just a tad cold, I'd of been sicker if I was on Phil - never fails to amaze

Comment

Frustrating.

Comment

This weeks per-tournaments splash about 4x EW doubles

SPOILER

Comment

Qatar Master and Farmers Insurance this week, thinking about having a cheeky little E/W double...Thoughts??
                        It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Comment

Billy Horshell is 70's on BF now.

Was he not leading after 2 round last year only to fall away at the weekend?

Stronger player now, looks a decent price.

Comment

Comment

I backed Phil thursday night at 50s, he was 100 Friday night. Also had a bet on him at 36 after the triple bogey. How the caddy can't zoom into the players minds when they go on mental trips like this is unreal. Also had Larrazable Friday night at 50s (not as much). Crazy that the first Sunday he doesn't choke in is the biggest tourney he's played in the last 12 months. His girlfriend didn't have to put up with the Sunday whine for once. It comes off an odd time where players go back to back (thank God for Bret this time last year) and Larrazabel is 60s with Betfair to repeat this wend. I find the first round leader great value for prices... especially for chokers like Cabrera Bello.

Comment

Fancy Sergio to have a good week.

Great course form and price has is favourable compared to last week where Rory took up much of the market.

Comment

Originally posted by applehunter View Post
                                  Fancy Sergio to have a good week.

Great course form and price has is favourable compared to last week where Rory took up much of the market.
                                  I'm finding Garcia's price the last two weeks totally baffling, They had him same price as Stensen last week and Michelson was over double Garcia's price, It's not like he'd been hammering the practice having gone to Abu Dabi from attending a poker tournament (PCA in the Bahamas). This week you could make a tentative argument on course form, but again the same price as Stensen & twice the price of Duffner. I'm a big fan of Sergio in general but he has done nothing in the last 5 year to justify anywhere near the prices he's gone off these two weeks and in relation to the players mentioned.
                                  Last edited by nicnicnic; 22-01-14, 14:17.

Comment

got some doubles going this wk after dropping them last wk to just do singles & luieten & stuard placing either side of the atlantic
                                    whatney/grace Hass/coetzee snedeker/bjorn howell/jaidee
                                    small e/w singles on quiros/howell/gallagher in quatar
                                    & stuard/leonard in us. hopefully get some kind of sweat come sunday nite. gl all

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                      I'm finding Garcia's price the last two weeks totally baffling, They had him same price as Stensen last week and Michelson was over double Garcia's price, It's not like he'd been hammering the practice having gone to Abu Dabi from attending a poker tournament (PCA in the Bahamas). This week you could make a tentative argument on course form, but again the same price as Stensen & twice the price of Duffner. I'm a big fan of Sergio in general but he has done nothing in the last 5 year to justify anywhere near the prices he's gone off these two weeks and in relation to the players mentioned.
                                      Would say it is based on his play in the last couple of years.

He has got his game and especially his putting back.

Nice aftertiming though

Comment

Would say it is based on his play in the last couple of years.

He has got his game and especially his putting back.

Nice aftertiming though
                                        I shouldn't of quoted you post in my observations, apologies, no offense meant.

Comment

hope to get a sweat out of phil mickelson this tournament. seems to be a streak player and hopefully start of a patch.

didnt make much coin out of the golf last year. So hoping for a better punting season. Ideally I can make enough profit to lump big on rory for the masters.

Whats peoples opinions on market to make european ryder cup team?

Comment

I'm on Watney ( Won before, place last year, numerous top tens, finished well last season and he is my baby)

Also on Spieth, I just feel he will be annoyingly good this year and he tweeted earlier in the week that he loves the place. He's got a great game and he could win a big tourney or 2 this year.

Gl Fellas

Comment

Jesus Phil said he is playing hurt and that he wont get away with it on the South Course.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                Jesus Phil said he is playing hurt and that he wont get away with it on the South Course.
                                                Sounded like he was/is going to withdraw in the interview but stopped shot of actually saying that. Could potentially (wishful thinking) be a blessing in disguise if it clears up a bit and he decides he jut can't hit driver, rough is absolutely brutal on SC, US open like.
                                                Last edited by nicnicnic; 24-01-14, 01:38.

Comment

Sounded like he was/is going to withdraw in the interview but stopped shot of actually saying that. Could potentially (wishful thinking) be a blessing in disguise if it clears up a bit and he decides he jut can't hit driver, rough is absolutely brutal on SC, US open like.
                                                  Wasn't sure how to take it. From the analysis he looked like he couldn't put too much pressure on it and he was struggling to keep the club on plain. I don't think with the rough on the south he will last 3 days. However if he is forced to swing within himself and only use that mutant 3 wood he has then it could be a blessing in disguise. Beware of the injured golfer.

Comment

just the 9 under from speith today playing alongside tiger. pretty impressive stuff from a 20 year old

Comment

Decent sweat on ilonen here

Comment

good shout applehunter/ bad shout me, ul elbows

looks like michelson has withdrawn in states going by the betting although nothing official yet

Comment

Hoping Horschel can make it a great weekend now.

On at 75s

Comment

Can't win them all.

Tough course conditions today.

Who wants to watch birdiefests?

Impressed with Morgan Hoffman today. @25's he looks a bit of value for tomorrow.

Comment

Speith held it together really well today. Don't fancy woodland. Have stallings and romero at 80 and 150's for an ew sweat

Comment

Have gone with sabbitini at 31s due to the fact he's straight and has a few wins. Don't think any of the -4s can catch the leaders (not a 66 type course)?

Comment

Think -8 wins it. If someone posts that early could put pressure on the leaders. Romero shot 67 yesterday.

Comment

I'm looking at it and can't come up with a bet, forecast is for a breeze of about 8 mph which even that small will be a factor the way the course is playing. I can conceivably see -6 even winning which brings the -2's into the equation. Coltart in the sky studio said Friday night that he saw the winning score being -14 and I thought to myself at the time that Speith would snap take his current score of -10.

have small bet on chappell pre tournament at 170s r so he's still 100s, so might have another bit on him at that, and fire another couple of darts at big prices. Will make for great viewing anyway. We don't get to see the fuckers really tested like this enough.

Comment

[QUOTE=nicnicnic;775692]I'm looking at it and can't come up with a bet, forecast is for a breeze of about 8 mph which even that small will be a factor the way the course is playing. I can conceivably see -6 even winning which brings the -2's into the equation. Coltart in the sky studio said Friday night that he saw the winning score being -14 and I thought to myself at the time that Speith would snap take his current score of -10.

have small bet on chappell pre tournament at 170s r so he's still 100s, so might have another bit on him at that, and fire another couple of darts at big prices. Will make for great viewing anyway. We don't get to see the fuckers really tested like this

Went for stuard. 2nd best in scoring on the south. Very solid game.

Comment

Struard was one of my darts, just looking at the early starters on shottracker and looks like they may of set it up a little easier, more balls seem to be hitting fairways and the par three 3rd is off a way easier tee, it's just a flip of a wedge today.

Comment

These tight finishes are not good for the ticker

Comment

Well done on Stallings.

Comment

#39
                                                                              These tight finishes are not good for the ticker
                                                                              your home N1 wd, had a bit on him as well so bit of profit for weekend, was nearly hoping for playoff, nearly.
                                                                              SPOILER

Comment

#40
                                                                                Good work Nicky. Nice to get a win after hitting the post with ilonen.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  What score was kj when you backed him.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    What score was kj when you backed him.
                                                                                    think he was on the 11th, -6 ? time is on it there in screenshot, 7.15, he got over aggressive on 17th I think, probably felt he needed to get to -10.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Early thoughts for next week are Palmer in Phoenix, and probably an very unimaginative Rory in Dubai.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Anyone use spread ex. Are they legit and ok to get money out of. Look ok from what I read on the web.
                                                                                        Last edited by elbows; 27-01-14, 22:03.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Anyone use spread ex. Are they legit and ok to get money out of. Look ok from what I read on the web.
                                                                                          There was a crowd a couple of year ago called extrabet (i used them a lot for top/10/20 markets as they ran very good books on them). When they closed, all accounts were migrated to spreadex, I think they were actually the fixed odds wing of spreadex trading under a different name. I remember logging in at the time to do a bet on spreadex and couldn't get money into the acc, because they didn't take laser r skrill. Never went back. As they're predominantly a spread betting firm, I'd expect to have to jump through a few extra hoops than the normal account set up process though. They're definitely reputable, I often notice them best price on in running but going by oddschecker they just bet win only in play.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Any thoughts on leishman. I am not convinced of his metal in the heat of it. A bit like day. But 50/1 is a big price considering how well he is playing.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Any thoughts on leishman. I am not convinced of his metal in the heat of it. A bit like day. But 50/1 is a big price considering how well he is playing.
                                                                                              Big Leishman fan - I've been punting him for years at decent odds top 10/20 markets, I've gone for a big touch on him a few unfruitful times at lottery odds, this will be his 6th year on tour. Punted him last year in the masters at over 800/1 and he got within a shot of the lead with six to play(was joint 1st round leader), went for the perfect shot on 15th and came up a yard short; splash.

He played the best golf last Sunday (bar one errant 4 iron on the par 5 13th) tee to green but just couldn't buy a putt. Palmer called him a nervous type on the racing post site Sunday, I'd disagree. I think he'll keep progressing as a player and could be a top twenty world ranking guy within three of years. Certainly wouldn't ever put anyone off punting him at 50/1 but think he's definitely more suited to classical type courses, think congressional, murfield, quail hollow, augusta, torrey pines. Lost his form after the masters last year but had a very good presidents cup, I can see him showing up on the leaderboard at some stage in a major this year.

I punted Laird at 9/2 top UK/Ireland this week in phoenix with betfairfixed
                                                                                              Last edited by nicnicnic; 29-01-14, 02:44.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Big Leishman fan - I've been punting him for years at decent odds top 10/20 markets, I've gone for a big touch on him a few unfruitful times at lottery odds, this will be his 6th year on tour. Punted him last year in the masters at over 800/1 and he got within a shot of the lead with six to play(was joint 1st round leader), went for the perfect shot on 15th and came up a yard short; splash.

He played the best golf last Sunday (bar one errant 4 iron on the par 5 13th) tee to green but just couldn't buy a putt. Palmer called him a nervous type on the racing post site Sunday, I'd disagree. I think he'll keep progressing as a player and could be a top twenty world ranking guy within three of years. Certainly wouldn't ever put anyone off punting him at 50/1 but think he's definitely more suited to classical type courses, think congressional, murfield, quail hollow, augusta, torrey pines. Lost his form after the masters last year but had a very good presidents cup, I can see him showing up on the leaderboard at some stage in a major this year.

I punted Laird at 9/2 top UK/Ireland this week in phoenix with betfairfixed
                                                                                                I remember you posting about him a while back. He is awesome tee to green I just feel under the kosh he doesn't hole enough putts. (feel the same way about day). I will leave him this week anyway. That was some punt in the masters. Did you get out of it. Also do you lay off bets. I used to do it a bit when I was win only punting on Betfair and would be backing and laying guys on sundays. A tournament like last week was wet dream from that point of view.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I remember you posting about him a while back. He is awesome tee to green I just feel under the kosh he doesn't hole enough putts. (feel the same way about day). I will leave him this week anyway. That was some punt in the masters. Did you get out of it. Also do you lay off bets. I used to do it a bit when I was win only punting on Betfair and would be backing and laying guys on sundays. A tournament like last week was wet dream from that point of view.
                                                                                                  His putting stats will need to improve ok, he's consistently not great with it, not just when he's in contention if you get what I'm saying. I wouldn't leave him if I were you on what I wrote about courses, it's the easiest thing in the world to make a case against 50/1 shot, they're 50/1 after all and if you've a fancy for one that price I'd never let someone put me off it.

Re the laying off, sometimes is the answer. I wouldn't have a plan of say if a guy I punted at (X) price, gets to (Y) price then I'll green up. It'd be more along the lines making decisions on how I perceived the tournament was developing. A green book is great but I wouldn't be greening up just because I can. I guess what I'm saying is if your are laying off, have a rational; you think he's underpriced now, you think the pressure is getting to him, you need the money wouldn't be the purist reason but it's definitely a reason.
                                                                                                  Last edited by nicnicnic; 29-01-14, 12:52.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    His putting stats will need to improve ok, he's consistently not great with it, not just when he's in contention if you get what I'm saying. I wouldn't leave him if I were you on what I wrote about courses, it's the easiest thing in the world to make a case against 50/1 shot, they're 50/1 after all and if you've a fancy for one that price I'd never let someone put me off it.

Re the laying off, sometimes is the answer. I wouldn't have a plan of say if a guy I punted at (X) price, gets to (Y) price then I'll green up. It'd be more along the lines making decisions on how I perceived the tournament was developing. A green book is great but I wouldn't be greening up just because I can. I guess what I'm saying is if your are laying off, have a rational; you think he's underpriced now, you think the pressure is getting to him, you need the money wouldn't be the purist reason but it's definitely a reason.
                                                                                                    I wasn't fully convinced on course/similar course form anyway (not always a reason for not backing someone but a large factor for me). Price wise he is probably value but its not significant enough for me to care.

My dad is a green merchant. He had Stallings (from me) and Sergio and layed off both.

When I was using Betfair as my main source for betting, On Sundays I would back and lay guys based on parts of the course they were coming to or had played through. I would look at shottracker in running for guys who are looking like birdieing/eagling a hole in which the market hadn't reacted to and like you get out of guys who looked like they might be getting a bit weak at the knees. This was when I was single and had all the time in the world.

I have not used Betfair in a few years and have gone the e/w route. Might restart it now there is fixed odds and for laying the odd time. (could have made a tidy profit on Ilonen)

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      I wasn't fully convinced on course/similar course form anyway (not always a reason for not backing someone but a large factor for me). Price wise he is probably value but its not significant enough for me to care.

My dad is a green merchant. He had Stallings (from me) and Sergio and layed off both.

When I was using Betfair as my main source for betting, On Sundays I would back and lay guys based on parts of the course they were coming to or had played through. I would look at shottracker in running for guys who are looking like birdieing/eagling a hole in which the market hadn't reacted to and like you get out of guys who looked like they might be getting a bit weak at the knees. This was when I was single and had all the time in the world.

I have not used Betfair in a few years and have gone the e/w route. Might restart it now there is fixed odds and for laying the odd time. (could have made a tidy profit on Ilonen)
                                                                                                      Why did you stop using betfair if you were making money?

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        Dubai

Branden Grace 46 & Paul Casey 75 - Capable of lots of Birdies and eagles.

Phoenix

Phil 20s "beware the injured golfer"
                                                                                                        Horschel 33s - birdie machine
                                                                                                        Harrington 220 - game looks in good shape
                                                                                                        Gonzo 220 - ball striker supreme
                                                                                                        Aphibarnrat 200 - mysterious

Comment

#53

Aphibarnrat 200 - mysterious
                                                                                                          this may be my favorite reason ever for a pick

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Thefonze View Post
                                                                                                            Why did you stop using betfair if you were making money?
                                                                                                            When I was doing it I was backing and laying a lot in running. I don't have the luxury of watching golf as much these days. Rarely get to see the european golf (middle east is working out well as I get up early with my daughter on Sundays and have it on in the backround while the Mrs is in bed) I get to see the us golf more but generally only after 9 or 10 and having laptop out on Sundays at home is not good for marital relations. I mainly do my bets on the phone these days but trying to manage a book is not feasible. The way I am doing it now I mainly back e/w and this is covering the non winning of golf tournaments and then the odd bink is where I see my profit coming. It is not exactly how I would want it and I will refine it to incorporate betfair just not using it to the same extent as I did before.
                                                                                                            Last edited by elbows; 30-01-14, 08:29.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              When I was doing it I was backing and laying a lot in running. I don't have the luxury of watching golf as much these days. Rarely get to see the european golf (middle east is working out well as I get up early with my daughter on Sundays and have it on in the backround while the Mrs is in bed) I get to see the us golf more but generally only after 9 or 10 and having laptop out on Sundays at home is not good for marital relations. I mainly do my bets on the phone these days but trying to manage a book is not feasible. The way I am doing it now I mainly back e/w and this is covering the non winning of golf tournaments and then the odd bink is where I see my profit coming. It is not exactly how I would want it and I will refine it to incorporate betfair just not using it to the same extent as I did before.
                                                                                                              Yeah kids really curtail such activities, I gave up betfair as I lost way to much. Swings were mad, some days 10k either way. It encouraged me to go mad and I need little encouragement. I like horschel this week, he let me down big time for a massive pay out lat year after I had a large double with Paul Casey in the irish open.4He has the game just needs to avoid holes where he implodes!

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Thefonze View Post
                                                                                                                Yeah kids really curtail such activities, I gave up betfair as I lost way to much. Swings were mad, some days 10k either way. It encouraged me to go mad and I need little encouragement. I like horschel this week, he let me down big time for a massive pay out lat year after I had a large double with Paul Casey in the irish open.4He has the game just needs to avoid holes where he implodes!
                                                                                                                Was never really doing huge size but certainly more than I am now. Very swingy indeed.

BH cost me a bunch of money when he won last year (I was on Points). I didn't think he had the temperament for it. Very prone to the big blow out alright but he is a serious player.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Horschel now 44s on BF.

It would be rude not to.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Phil now 74/1 (says back is fine). Leishman 74/1 for top 5 finish (+1 currently ) for small money. Funny, just backed him (after seeing he finished top 5 in last 2 tourneys) before I saw your posts. Hopefully one might get my February tourney money together!!!

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Freaked I missed Kirk last night at 33/1. Steele going ok. I really fancy Kirk for next week and course form put me off this week.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Anyone watching Bubba there. It was one of the most blatant lies to get a drop. No way was he going to play the shot the way he described to the ref. Commentators saying he was right to use the rules to his advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X