Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker

Old 07-12-17, 12:12   #20801
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
What did you mean by this bit I meant to ask, by the way?
Pretty much as Iago said. All of our accounts offset the mortgage.
So say there was 200k owing, and savings of 50k. You can pay it off if leaving it sitting in savings. Either way you only pay interest on 150k

(Numbers made up entirely, sadly )

€35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 12:12   #20802
Mike Bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuutroy View Post
I can confirm that buying a plane is not a good investment strategy.
You need to cut out the frills
Mike Bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 12:16   #20803
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
So say there was 200k owing, and savings of 50k. You can pay it off if leaving it sitting in savings. Either way you only pay interest on 150k

In this case it sounds like you can dip in and out of your hypothetical 50k as needed and the mortgage interest is just calculated on the amount owed minus amount in savings every month? Or the 50k is committed to the mortgage for good?
Old 07-12-17, 12:19   #20804
Mike Bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Does flying a small plane affect life insurance?
Crashing it has a bigger effect.

I wonder if Zutrophy would fly his into the eye of an agressive Alien space ship if we needed him to. Or maybe even Darndale or perhaps (sorry Hotspur) some travellers.
Mike Bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 12:21   #20805
ionapaul

Let's see if I understand things correctly - either the bitcoin cheerleaders are correct, and BTC will eventually go to $100k+ or it is a bubble and it's true value is nothing like the current price - there is no middle ground, right?

Or are there arguments saying 'well, it's actually worth $20k and even if it goes above (and below) due to volatility, it will trade around that range for the foreseeable future'?

Anyone have insight here? It sorta seems that if those heralding the recent rises are in any way correct in terms of their viewpoint, that $15k is only a moment on the way to $100k+
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 12:27   #20806
Flushdraw
The Gamesmaster

Just giving Doke and Lappin's Chip Race a bump. Been some great stuff on it in recent weeks/months!
Flushdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 12:31   #20807
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionapaul View Post
Let's see if I understand things correctly - either the bitcoin cheerleaders are correct, and BTC will eventually go to $100k+ or it is a bubble and it's true value is nothing like the current price - there is no middle ground, right?

Or are there arguments saying 'well, it's actually worth $20k and even if it goes above (and below) due to volatility, it will trade around that range for the foreseeable future'?

Anyone have insight here? It sorta seems that if those heralding the recent rises are in any way correct in terms of their viewpoint, that $15k is only a moment on the way to $100k+
I just can't see how it can grow with the constraints? There's a limit on the transaction speed, and the energy use is ginormous and growing?

100k is based more on hope than any measurement of it's intrinsic value.

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 07-12-17, 12:37   #20808
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
There is room for some amount of time when people do not know (as none of us do) what will happen with crypto and it could become more stable, I doubt it though. The shortterm foreseeable future is all you can really look at, and this has been really easy to calculate so far. Barring any government interference it has gone up simply because so many people are hearing about it now.

Coinbase was getting 100,000 new accounts a day, it doesn't take a genius to see that it would increase massively considering there are only about 13 million coins in total (due to lost coins), it's very limited with huge demand.

If it is actually adopted even a bit more $15k is absolute peanuts compared to what it will be worth, of course at any time it could take a nosedive due to several different things, and it could quite fast. Governments will have an interest in it failing if it gets too successful. All of these people are just looking to make a quick buck than believe in the ethos of decentralized "currency" so will sell at a drop of a hat.
Old 07-12-17, 12:44   #20809
Tar.Aldarion

Send a message via MSN to Tar.Aldarion Send a message via Skype™ to Tar.Aldarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
I just can't see how it can grow with the constraints? There's a limit on the transaction speed, and the energy use is ginormous and growing?

100k is based more on hope than any measurement of it's intrinsic value.
The issue isn't technically speed of transactions. Visa does not have a fast transaction speed, it has trust. Hence our accounts being full of pending transactions. Transactions are actually carried out at a later date in bulk rather than when people buy things. Bitcoin would easily have the same if adopted and used in a trusted network.

The main issue is amount of transactions possible, which is a bit different than speed. The scaling is being looked at by a lot of people and nobody knows what form it will take, if another coin solved that and bitcoin could not it would crash, however this is just a technological challenge that I don't actually see being an issue barring things in the future. The lightning network is about to be realised and that will just be the beginning.

The actual problems/threats for Bitcoin are outside interests regulating and competing coins.
Old 07-12-17, 12:47   #20810
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
The issue isn't technically speed of transactions. Visa does not have a fast transaction speed, it has trust. Hence our accounts being full of pending transactions. Transactions are actually carried out at a later date in bulk rather than when people buy things. Bitcoin would easily have the same if adopted and used in a trusted network.

The main issue is amount of transactions possible, which is a bit different than speed. The scaling is being looked at by a lot of people and nobody knows what form it will take, if another coin solved that and bitcoin could not it would crash, however this is just a technological challenge that I don't actually see being an issue barring things in the future. The lightning network is about to be realised and that will just be the beginning.

The actual problems/threats for Bitcoin are outside interests regulating and competing coins.
I just seems far more likely that someone else will solve that and take over. Sure, Bitcoin's got brand name awareness but so did bebo.

Old 07-12-17, 13:19   #20811
poprock

My lay man interpretations of bt from afar

Everyone who invested in Bitcoin has an interest in its growth

Bitcoin potential appreciation to a large % of actual currency in the world (60 trillion?)
could cause a huge collapse if a panic or run on bitcoin occurs.

Is the price of fucking RAM skyrocketing cause the profitability of mining bitcoin, cause this time last year RAM was peanuts,
( Maybe il invest in metals used in computers)
poprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 13:25   #20812
AndyFatBastard
Pudgy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprock View Post
Is the price of fucking RAM skyrocketing cause the profitability of mining bitcoin, cause this time last year RAM was peanuts,
( Maybe il invest in metals used in computers)
No, but high end graphics cards are selling like hot cakes, because the calcs for mining bitcoins are very similar as those for rendering 3D images. Investing in Nvidia and/or AMD stock would be the correct approach here, I guess?
Old 07-12-17, 13:36   #20813
poprock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
No, but high end graphics cards are selling like hot cakes, because the calcs for mining bitcoins are very similar as those for rendering 3D images. Investing in Nvidia and/or AMD stock would be the correct approach here, I guess?
Thanks, somethings going crazy anyway, at least investing in something like this seems safer as not reliant on one customer
poprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 13:50   #20814
V for Vendetta
Shameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post

It basically means you are getting an effective ~6%p.a. gross return on low risk cash and enjoying immediate access to same. You consider this to be shit and are looking for an alternative higher yielding investment. Is that a fair summary?

In the interests of the nice little discussion that has developed here, is there any chance you'd take a guess at what level of return you're aiming for and how much downside risk you are prepared to take on a one year investment horizon?
Old 07-12-17, 14:15   #20815
Strewelpeter

BTC has a calculable value that is the price of producing the next coin. Depending on where you are and what your existing set up is that is currently in the $1K - $3K range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
The issue isn't technically speed of transactions. Visa does not have a fast transaction speed, it has trust. Hence our accounts being full of pending transactions. Transactions are actually carried out at a later date in bulk rather than when people buy things.
Thats not quite true, payments over Visa and MC networks are authorised instantly, batch processing is done in daily batches for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with transaction speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
Bitcoin would easily have the same if adopted and used in a trusted network.
Can you really process a BTC transaction online in <500Ms ?
Old 07-12-17, 14:55   #20816
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Mail from Revolut there that I can trade bitcoin. Gotta be worth another few hundred!

Old 07-12-17, 14:57   #20817
Strewelpeter

Well sat
Old 07-12-17, 15:10   #20818
zuutroy
Minor Local Celebrity

Think I'll jump off the rollercoaster soon. Worth 7.4k now. That could buy a lot of things I don't need. Would be fairly sick if it took a nosedive.
Old 07-12-17, 15:15   #20819
Wombatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuutroy View Post
Think I'll jump off the rollercoaster soon. Worth 7.4k now. That could buy a lot of things I don't need. Would be fairly sick if it took a nosedive.
Doesn't have to be all or nothing. Chop it up or maybe just leave your profit and freeroll.
Old 07-12-17, 15:18   #20820
zuutroy
Minor Local Celebrity

It's basically all profit...was 450 when I got it!

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > General Poker