Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 29-10-17, 16:59   #201
digiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_leche View Post
Hopefully Lazare and Digiman are tapering well for DCM.

I am back jogging easy after 2 months out due to what was likely a minor calf tear. Have lost 90 secs off the park run time, and gained 4 kg, so looking to knuckle down till Christmas.
I didn't do it this year, life got in the way unfortunately but I seen Lazare smashed in under the 4 hours. Well done, was cheering on this morning in Castleknock. Such a fantastic atmosphere and the crowds really make the Dublin marathon amazing, was really feeling sorry for myself that I wasn't out there running it.
digiman is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 29-10-17, 17:04   #202
luckforsome

...Looking forward to Lazare's trip report on the build up to marathon, the hell of running it and the celebration after it...this thread was set up for moments like this 😃...
luckforsome is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 30-10-17, 14:22   #203
Lazare
GFML

Cheers guys, I'll try get a tr up today.
Old 30-10-17, 20:02   #204
Lazare
GFML

I posted my TR in the boards novices thread, I'll copy and paste it here rather than re write it.

Obviously some of the references are to do with that thread.
Old 30-10-17, 20:03   #205
Lazare
GFML

Got up bright and early yesterday morning, woke at 4:15am feeling well rested and said feck it and got up. Was great, had plenty of time to have a nice breakfast and coffee and read and post here, nice and relaxed.

At the start of this process I had silly notions of what I was capable of. I had in my head that I could run a 3:30 but decided to be conservative and target 3:40.

That was at the very start of the plan. It took the first decent LSR, maybe the 13 miler three weeks in for me to gain some respect for the distance and for me to realise how naive I was. But I was still a little naive, I think I adjusted my target to 3:50. The hammer blow came after Fingal when I read a post on another thread where the OP linked to a Runners World predictor and said how spot on it was. I entered my 5k pb and my Fingal time and it spat out 4:16. I'll be honest I was devastated. Never used that predictor again lol.

After the FD10 McMillan gave me 3:56 and around then I decided to settle on 3:58:xx

Based on invaluable advice, from here and from my friend Eoin, my plan was to go out ultra conservatively and play the course in the first half, jogging really easily up the climbs and using the downs for recovery/conservation. Taking it really easy until Walkinstown and then switching gears to come home in a negative.

I had an excellent pace band that totally reflected that plan and proved immensely valuable.

Fuelling plan was a gel 15 mins before the gun and every 30 mins.

Miles 1 to 7

Met up with Damo and Mark (RolandDeschain) at the start and we set off together behind the 4 hour guys, but we had agreed that we would be running our own races and by about 300m we were seperated. I didn't notice anyone bursting off making an idiot of themselves like I expected, everyone around seemed sensible. I was definitely slower than most though, my pace for the first mile was to be 6:05km so naturally I was getting overtaken. I didn't mind this at all as I expected it. I did start to question it though at Kevin St when the 4:10 pacers overtook me. Hang on, this doesn't seem right. Had to keep reminding myself to trust the plan.

Didn't bother with the first two water stations, don't really see the point of them this soon tbh. Everything was rosy at this point, I was bang on pace, had a bit of an issue with the paceband though trying to calculate between miles and km, my pace had to change fairly sharply between 3 and 5 so I was concerned at one point as to which mile I was actually running, my 16 times tables got a workout. Having said that I wasn't a slave to the band either, there were times I felt it necessary to ignore it.

Pacing was perfect so far, the time on my band for the 5m marker was 47:36 and I went under it in 47:36.

10k was 59:15 and I went under in 58:49. All good in the hood.

Finally overtook the 4:10 guys at the Phoenix monument and put doubts to bed.

I took water at the third station after Myos (I think) and dropped half a zero tab into it. Drank that. I had also taken a jelly of a guy who had his hand out, I mistook it for an invitation for a high5 but ate the jelly anyway. Had decided pre-race not to do that as I hadn't done it in training. Around mile 7 or so I felt a little bit of strangeness in my belly, not a belly ache as such but a little disconcerting all the same. It was then that I realised that I had never taken a zero tab on a training run either. Doh. It went away pretty quickly and didn't come back so disaster averted.

Still feeling 100% and on track.

Miles 8 to 20

Started getting shoulder pain in my left one which was bothersome and I remembered something else my friend Eoin had posted on boards before about managing pain and how it's the anxiety around it that gets you rather than the pain itself. So I focussed on it in my mind, relaxed and convinced myself that it was manageable and not going to affect me. It went away soon after that.

Mile 10 on the band said 1:32:35 and I went under it in 1:32:35. Like a Japanese subway train. I was amazed by this.

Slowed right down to a crawl going up the hill in Chapelizod, real easy effort, again remembering sage advice from Eoin. This hill will end your race and you won't even know about it for two hours. Easy peasy does it, don't worry about all those foolhardy ones romping past you.

Got some support from four bunches of friends between Dolphin's barn and Walkinstown roundabout. My mate and his wife and kid had a big banner with 'Go Conor' on it. It's amazing what this does for you! And feeding off the crowds in general. I got great energy from it, I was doing a Damo all over the place pumping my arms in the air to roars from the crowds, it was like mainlining RedBull with the boost it gave me.

My paceband time for the halfway gantry was 2:00:40 and I fist pumped when I looked at the watch and it said 2:00:31.

I felt brand new.

I couldn't believe we were at Walkinstown already, I stood there last year and watched people in awe, I couldn't believe then that people could still be pushing after running almost 14 miles and here was I shouting and roaring at crowds and feeling like I had only ran 1 mile. It was awesome.

I had planned with my wife and her Mam on Saturday night for them to be outside Borza on the Cromwellsfort road, but I knew there was a chance they wouldn't make it because of the baby. They were the last of my expected supporters except for a friend at Ballsbridge. They were supposed to be on the right hand side of the road but they were nowhere to be seen. I scanned left and right and even slowed down a little. I was gutted. Was dying to give my 3 year old a kiss. I decided to knuckle down then and got into the zone.

Was coming towards the Submarine and I heard my wife roar out my name, I was only about 20 feet from them and we almost missed each other. I flew over, grabbed my little one and gave her a big kiss, kissed my wife and legged it on up the road with a big silly grin on my face and a supercharged burst of positivity and energy.

Caught up with the four hour pacers then in and around Terenure, spotted Damo but it was too congested to say hello. Gained about 400m on them and then ended up alongside Mark coming into Milltown. He was flying and in great form. We ran by Leesider who gave us a big cheer, that was a lovely surprise.

I was running a little faster than planned at this stage but I decided to carry on as I still felt really strong and fresh.

30k on the band said 2:49:42 and I went through it in 2:49:02. This is doable.

The dreaded 20 mile barrier was looming though and I wasn't sure whether it was a physical barrier or a mental one. I was getting anxious about it, about breaking that new ground.

Miles 21 to Merrion Sq

It went by and I felt fine, mile 21 went by and I stil felt good. Halfway through mile 22 though I suddenly started to feel the burn. Heartbreak was heartbreaking as the 400m I had gained on the 4hour guys evaporated like the sweat on my salty forehead. Those horrible red balloons bobbed by me and I felt like crying.

I knew though that Fosters was coming up and I knew those guys would be forced to run it at 5:38 so I barrelled down it and put a bit of distance between us. It didn't last long though. At the end of Nutley my left leg just all of a sudden seized up and I screamed in agony. I thought that was it, game over.

I hopped on it for about 50m afraid to stop because I knew if I stopped it really would be game over. The 4hr pacers came alongside me again.

I decided to run with them from then on, knowing that I had about 20 seconds on them anyway so if I could just hang on to them, even let them away by a few metres I would definitely sub4.

Their encouragement was phenomenal, they were dragging everyone of us over that line like we were their brothers and sisters. 'Only a parkrun from here guys' 'Keep pushing it, c'mon only 2 miles left' '15 minutes of running, that's it and you're home'.
It was so helpful.

My watch beeped 41km and I found something deep in me. I dug deep and left them behind me. Looked down and I was running at 10k pace, roaring like a crazed animal. Went through the '800m' sign and spotted Damo up ahead and decided to try reel him in. That's all I remember though, don't remember the crowds, didn't hear the roars, I just saw that finish line and Damo.

Ran onto that beautiful, magical blue carpet and looked down at the watch, saw I was just about to nail my target and I nearly cried.

Boom! 3:58:08

My legs felt like they belonged to someone else, I was in a world of pain but I didn't care. I was bursting with raw emotion.

What a day, what an experience. What a pleasure to be in such a priviliged postition to be able to do it.

TL;DR Smashed it.
Old 30-10-17, 20:26   #206
Lazare
GFML

Also, a huge thanks to ionapaul for the cheers at Bushy Park, it's amazing how much it helps you.
Old 30-10-17, 21:47   #207
BennyHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Also, a huge thanks to ionapaul for the cheers at Bushy Park, it's amazing how much it helps you.
I had hoped to get out to cheer you on around the Costa on Drimnagh Road but the baba got sick during the night and was quarantined so messed up my plans.

Wp man. Terrific journey to go on. I presume you'll do more now?
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 30-10-17, 22:00   #208
luckforsome

...Excellent TR, Lazare... Reading that was excellent, makes us mere mortals want to give it a go...If a miracle happens and I ever do a marathon, I will quote your post!!!...
luckforsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 30-10-17, 22:14   #209
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyHiFi View Post
I had hoped to get out to cheer you on around the Costa on Drimnagh Road but the baba got sick during the night and was quarantined so messed up my plans.

Wp man. Terrific journey to go on. I presume you'll do more now?
Ah no worries bro, you cheered me on with this thread.

When I was squirming in pain right after I said to myself never again, never a fooking gain.

30 mins later I was thinking of next year, so yeah, deffo. I plan to race Dublin every year and do short stuff for the rest. I'm starting an 8 week plan at the start of Dec for Raheny and I want to smash my 5k time. Then next July start prepping for the monster again.
Old 30-10-17, 22:15   #210
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckforsome View Post
...Excellent TR, Lazare... Reading that was excellent, makes us mere mortals want to give it a go...If a miracle happens and I ever do a marathon, I will quote your post!!!...
Cheers Liam, if I can do it anyone can do it.

I'll be cheering you home on your first one, you don't need no miracle bro.
Old 30-10-17, 22:27   #211
Gimmeabreak
Chief Tipster

well done, Conor. Great stuff.
Gimmeabreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 31-10-17, 07:36   #212
Mellor

Great read Conor. And great result.
I'm almost disappointed that I knew the the ending after it got a little hairy in the third act.

Quote:
The hammer blow came after Fingal when I read a post on another thread where the OP linked to a Runners World predictor and said how spot on it was. I entered my 5k pb and my Fingal time and it spat out 4:16. I'll be honest I was devastated. Never used that predictor again lol.

After the FD10 McMillan gave me 3:56 and around then I decided to settle on 3:58:xx.
Looks like a conservative target close to McMillan is pretty accurate. I've always been skeptical of those calcs tbh. But that probably more because of my lack of sessions at >6km

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 04-11-17, 13:21   #213
ionapaul

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

After a surprisingly fast parkrun last weekend at Marlay Park (20.18), which isn't one of the faster courses, I really thought that, despite lack of proper endurance or interval training over the past six months, the Marlay time was telling me I'm close enough to push on for a sub-20 5k.

So although I had planned to meet some friends last night for a few drinks, I held myself to 3 pints, was home by midnight and got close to 8 hours sleep, all with this idea to really go for sub-20 in Shanganagh this morning.

Came in at 20.09, a new PB but agonisingly close to the 19.59 I want so bad!

http://www.parkrun.ie/shanganagh/res...nSeqNumber=136
https://www.strava.com/activities/1260296675 (recorded as 4.99k in Garmin but it's definitely 5k according to the organisers)

I felt so wrecked during the last K, despite always having a kick over the final 500m; think I was gassed coming up to the 4k mark.

Improvement is gonna be my focus ahead of Christmas, really need to work on this while I can!
ionapaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 17:57   #214
BennyHiFi

Broke my half marathon PB (well, for my 40s at least) at Clontarf today by a minute and a half with a 2:04:06.

Genuinely though i'd never better the previous one given i don't train for them. Last one was a hard slog at 2:17:xx

Think the difference today was the cool weather, the fact i'd dropped a few kilos in recent weeks and, most importantly, a mate who was running it for the first time who though he'd beat me.

I declined his offer of a bet cos he'd run the marathon last year and cycles a lot but had barely trained for this, just five runs. I figured i'd be close enough.

He was only a couple of hundred meters behind me most of the way and both times i took a pit (pish) stop he caught up but both times i breezed along side and past and he knew then he was bate. By four minutes in the end.

Think now if i hit my target weight in Q1 i could maybe aim for sub-2hr again (for the first time in 14 years).
Old 02-12-17, 19:10   #215
Lazare
GFML

21:29 today at Jingle Bells, 41 seconds off my previous best (parkrun). It is a fast course though, last 2k were downhill but still, over the moon.
Old 02-12-17, 21:34   #216
Strewelpeter

Quote:
21:29 today at Jingle Bells, 41 seconds off my previous best (parkrun). It is a fast course though, last 2k were downhill but still, over the moon.
That is just about how much over my PB I was in the Waterford AC half Marathon today

Have had a really difficult year working my way from niggle to niggle and I'm probably 8Kg over my 2014 time of 1:58.
Struggled through the second half today and but I got back in 2:20:04 to add another bobble hat to my collection.

Great race, so well run easily the best event of any year, highly recommended for anyone looking to do a half at this time of year

2014 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1315812614
2016 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1469870292
2017 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2361110095

Hopefully that sets a low bar that I'll be able to beat next year.
Old 07-12-17, 07:59   #217
BennyHiFi

Completed my 500th tracked run during the week since starting with Runkeeper in Oct 2012.

That's about 100 runs per year with a total distance of 4,366km (just over the width of the USA) with an average distance of 8.7KM per run.

I've done almost 930Km this year so far en route to my target of 1,000km so barring bad weather or injury i should see out another consistent year which included 5 mile and half marathon PBs.

I really embraced the 5km this year because it's exactly the distance from work to home which was a great convenience as not only did i do many more runs but i got home quicker than the bus and saved e2.05 each time i did it.

Who knows what next year will bring? The one thing i can be sure of is that on Jan. 1 i'll reset the dial and set another goal of 1,000km for 2018 and start pushing that rock back up the hill.

As The Fall front man Mark E. Smith once said, 'It's not repetition, it's discipline.'

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 07-12-17 at 08:02.
Old 07-12-17, 08:47   #218
Mellor

Thats incredible Benny. How many 5kms did you do the whole year?
And how much did you save in bus fare.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 07-12-17, 10:31   #219
BennyHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Thats incredible Benny. How many 5kms did you do the whole year?
And how much did you save in bus fare.
Lol... thanks Mellor. A quick count shows 72 so far so that's e147.60 saved.

Which is just about what i spend on a pair of runners every year (i change 'em once a year/1000km)

The bus + walk takes 45-50 mins most days and i run it in about 33 mins (its actually 5.6km).

Typically i run home on Monday or Tuesday (leaving laptop/bag etc... in work) and then dry my gear out overnight and run in again the next morning. We have a shower in work but nowhere proper to dry out gear.

Then i will add one 10km at lunchtime later in the week which takes an hour. Or i might do the 5km in and out again.

The key is to be consistent at 20km (on average) per week every week. If it wasn't for sticking to that over-riding principle i'd never have clocked up what i did. It means that even if you have a few bad weeks with low or no milage you still have an achievable goal because a year is a long time in running.

You're never beat, just a little bit behind.
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games