Few Tourney Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few Tourney Spots

Few spots from tourney in Galway last night.
    Only a €100 buyin so not sure how seriously people were taking it.
    All hands played in CO position it seems!

1 - Flopped Quads

Blinds 150/300 - All 3 stacks c20k

MP raises to 700, Hero calls in CO with JJ, SB calls.

Flop J4J.

SB checks, MP bets 1400 - Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn 7 (all rainbow)

SB checks, MP bets 1900.
    Hero ?

2 - QQ HU in position

Blinds 200/400

UTG +1 raises to 1200, Hero in CO reraises to 2800 with QQ, villain calls.

A few hands previous I had turned a set vs Villain & flatted turn bet & reraised River bet to which Villain folded pretty quick but didnt look impressed. Even at this stage I wouldnt rate him very highly.

Flop is K82 rainbow- check,check.

Turn is 4x. villain ships for 20k.

Hero?

3 - Overpair to board

Blinds 400/800/100

UTG(30k) Raises to 2100, MP (25k) calls, Villain (65k) reraises to 4800.
    Hero (37k) flats in CO with 88 and other 2 complete.

Flop 234

Check, Check, Villain ships & covers all.

Villain at the table for 20mins, bit drunk & only played one big ahnd with 77 v AA on a 568 board & missed.

Hero?

Hand 1: I'd flat most of the time, might keep SB hanging in and may get villain to spaz out on river. I think any raise here looks super strong imo and if they have strong hand i.e boat then you'll get it all on river anyway..

Hand 2: Very difficult to know where you are here, feels like he's bluffing a decent amount of the time cos of your check-back but that's probably an unintentional reverse fish level on his part but if your're beating up on the table prob not worth the risk imo

Hand 3: Not sure about the call pre out of that stack?? partly for the exact type of spot your now in - I'm folding in general, even against the nut flush with overs/gut shot your not in great shape..or more likely dead to qq/kk and a player who doesn't want to risk playing poker on later streets

Comment

Hand 1: flat, any other action may scare villain and here you need him to hit if he's bluffing obv. He may miss and spew a nice river bluff or he'll value bet his house thinking he's nutted

Hand 2: Meh, As played I'm folding now

Hand 3: fold pre for me, knowing il be getting better spots than this one, horrible spots post flop come all too often after flatting medium pairs and missing, especially multiway pots

Comment

Hand 1- flat looks stronger than a raise here I think, I raise and hope to get him to spaz out.

Hand 2 - bet flop (will give up if raise/called I think), as played I fold

Hand 3 - edit: completely missed it was repopped pre and you called. I'd fold now
        Last edited by ghostface; 29-12-11, 18:17.

Comment

Hand 1 - Depends on villain really, usually flatting though.

Hand 2 - bet flop, fold now.

Hand 3 - fold preflop, fold now.

Comment

hand 1

its a bit meh flopping quads on a really dry board as its going to be really hard to get paid off unless villains have a house. I flat for a couple of different reasons

(1) it gives the SB an incentive to stay in the hand with whatever he called the flop with

(2) if MP is a good player you arent getting any more value out of him anyway - he obviously doesnt have a jack so he will just fold to any raise on the turn. at least by keeping him he may hit a miracle card on the river that coolers him

(3) if MP is a bad player then he thinks his AA/KK is golden. dont give him any reason to think you have a Jack. Even if he goes into passive mode and checks the river he will still call off your value bet because bad players cant fold AA/KK etc. the only thing a turn raise achieves against this kind of player (which I have no doubt he will call and then fold the river lol) is to help him fold the river

hand 2

I c-bet the flop. in fact you have to bet that flop with 100% of your 3betting range (as I assume you are c-betting all your bluffs etc). Unless villlain thinks you were trapping your hand is now pretty much face up as JJ/QQ. If this is the case there is a good chance he is bluffing but given how the hand played out I prob fold now. Just too much of a guessing game as to what level the villain is on

hand 3

As ferg said I probably fold preflop - especially with UTG after raising and still to act after the 3bet. you now have the same problem on the flop with 2 players to act behind I probably toss it tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
              hand 1

(2) if MP is a good player you arent getting any more value out of him anyway - he obviously doesnt have a jack so he will just fold to any raise on the turn. at least by keeping him he may hit a miracle card on the river that coolers him
              I don't agree with this at all. What exactly are we repping if we raise on the turn?? Of course villain can think we have a jack but should be giving us a much wider range than that. I think a lot of players won't fold a pair here and will maybe even play back at us. Think its only point in the hand to get more money into the pot to be honest cos he'll give up on river after being flatted twice

Comment

Hand 1: depends on villian and history. Usually dwell and flat and pray for another bet. But I'd prefer to min his bet on the turn and hope he thinks this is a bluff.

Hand 2: I don't mind checking back the flop if you think he value bets turn and river with worse pairs. I'm calling his turn shove if I think he thinks I can't call. depends on history again.

Hand 3: horrible spot to get it in imo. I fold pre.

Comment

Well seeing as i was at table,involved in a hand and know the players in question il give a little insight....

Hand 1 i was sb here, i had 99, jj4 board aint the scariest board for my hand and i was always going to call flop/reevaluate turn...if you flat the turn im 100% folding..i no it may seem odd but id kinda like a small flop raise? Isnt that best way of setting up a spewy 4bet/call and i dont see what value were really losing as unless they hit a house or have an overpair we very rarely going t get more on the turn/river as the flat looks strong.. Plus against poorer players they will think the flop raise is never a jack..either way were trying to get as many chips into middle as possible and maybe taking the riskier strategy on the flop will gain the most reward...

Hand 2. Villain is a fish..iv hundreds of hh v him and personally i bet flop..he will check/call you all the way to river with worse, hes capable of making the big shove on turn with/without the king..once he got weakness of you he applies the pressure (and you got him rifled already)..i would be pretty confident your still good on turn but your edge is to good to put them in here when you will get him in better spot..i just bet flop and then you control hand.check back turn and call his river. .Hes as abc as they come but he does make verry strange plays

hand3.. I felt for you in this spot as really villain could easilly have it.i rem thinkn 88/99 was in your range here and that it would prob be a crying fold as we hadnt seen how he had been playing..the opener in the pot is a fish and a complete calling station i think we def call with your stack (80bbs)pre knowing were min getting 3/1 on our money,and if we hit we double up esp v 2 stations...as it turned out the spot was made very difficult because the villain played it super strong and as we said already you will get it in better spots v bad players...

Just my taughts. As i said iv alot of history v these players so easier for me make my comments.poker theory whats right/wrong does not apply v these players you just readjust and balance your game depending on the players your playing as in last nights case..... It was nice playing with you anyway :-)
                  Last edited by fumyname; 29-12-11, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                    Few spots from tourney in Galway last night.
                    Only a €100 buyin so not sure how seriously people were taking it.
                    All hands played in CO position it seems!

1 - Flopped Quads

Blinds 150/300 - All 3 stacks c20k

MP raises to 700, Hero calls in CO with JJ, SB calls.

Flop J4J.

SB checks, MP bets 1400 - Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn 7 (all rainbow)

SB checks, MP bets 1900.
                    Hero ?

2 - QQ HU in position

Blinds 200/400

UTG +1 raises to 1200, Hero in CO reraises to 2800 with QQ, villain calls.

A few hands previous I had turned a set vs Villain & flatted turn bet & reraised River bet to which Villain folded pretty quick but didnt look impressed. Even at this stage I wouldnt rate him very highly.

Flop is K82 rainbow- check,check.

Turn is 4x. villain ships for 20k.

Hero?

3 - Overpair to board

Blinds 400/800/100

UTG(30k) Raises to 2100, MP (25k) calls, Villain (65k) reraises to 4800.
                    Hero (37k) flats in CO with 88 and other 2 complete.

Flop 234

Check, Check, Villain ships & covers all.

Villain at the table for 20mins, bit drunk & only played one big ahnd with 77 v AA on a 568 board & missed.

Hero?
                    Thought they were a few interesting spots.

Results were......

SPOILER
                    1) Decided to reraise turn to 4100 hoping to build a pot vs overpair or flopped/turned house or make it look like a position steal, both folded.

2) Folded like a woman showing the QQ, villain mucked pretty quick behind but his subsequent play leads me to believe he would have showed a King so I'm now not too happy as I'd have him on 99-JJ.
                    (He later crippled me when I opened for 2.5x UTG to a missing BB & with 2 callers he made it 6k on the button to which I reshipped with AK & he called for 36k total with AJo and hit)

3) Very reluctant fold, but I was set-mining with 32 bigs behind & didnt really fancy taking him on vs a possible overpair/FD overcards. Some people seemed to be playing far too fast with their above average 30bb stacks so figured I'd find a better spot. Didnt expect him to turn up with 74o.

Comment

1. Call
                      2. Fold
                      3. Fold preflop. Fold flop now.
                      Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

3) Very reluctant fold, but I was set-mining with 32 bigs behind & didnt really fancy taking him on vs a possible overpair/FD overcards. Some people seemed to be playing far too fast with their above average 30bb stacks so figured I'd find a better spot. Didnt expect him to turn up with 74o.
                        BTW Ciaran. Set mining without any other plan getting around 8/1 implied odds is a huge leak IMO.

You should really be getting somewhere around 15 - 20/1 implied.

Comment

1. Call, you look strong, but raising you look super strong.

2. If I check back I'd call, you've shown the weakness for a reason, have to back it up.

3. Terrible call pre, there's still a bunch of people to act including an EP raiser and caller.

Comment

Originally posted by danutpeddler View Post
                            BTW Ciaran. Set mining without any other plan getting around 8/1 implied odds is a huge leak IMO.

You should really be getting somewhere around 15 - 20/1 implied.
                            Agreed to a certain extent, but the dynamic of this game was that I had already doubled my stack through chipping up in these type of multi-way pots in position with out a single showdown. I felt in this situation committing 12% of my stack was justifiable (probably about my limit) in the risk/reward stakes. I certainly wasnt set-mining every pair previous to this but just felt right in this situation as I couldn't find a fold here & wasnt comfortable repopping with a tight UTG opener & also reopening the options to a drunk looney who could have anything.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                              1. Call, you look strong, but raising you look super strong.

2. If I check back I'd call, you've shown the weakness for a reason, have to back it up.
                              3. Terrible call pre, there's still a bunch of people to act including an EP raiser and caller.
                              Exactly my plan, but then he shoves 20k into a 6k pot

Is this really the best spot to call for 90% of your chips?

Comment

Definitely not imo, I think it's an easy fold.

Comment

oh didnt realise it was that much relative to the pot, I guess maybe not if it's a really soft table/tourny. I'd have to be playing with him to get a feel for the type of player he is to make such a high variance call,

Comment

1) pretty standard call again on the turn.. dunno why you would consider doing anything else

2) fold to the shove and be glad he let you get away cheap

3) fold pre, this is a really terrible spot to flat with quite a few players to act, and the distinct likelihood of the pot being 4bet. You have no price to setmine, and even if you have some vague plan to outplay villain(s) later, it all goes to shit a large % of the time when there is pot-committing action ahead of you OTF.

As played all you can do is fold with two players behind still to act. We're not much better than a flip here HU unless villain is airballing with worse than A-high.
                                    "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Hand 1: Flat turn against competent villain , feel raising will just put villain under a lot of pressure knowing he'll have to call river bets always as your betting 100% of your range (bluffs and for value). A lot of the time the river will go check/bet call vs overpairs when you flat turn.

Hand 2: Really don't mind checking the flop back as you get called so light on turn and river given flop check. Hate folding the river to the line of flop bet, turn goes c/c and river gets bet for full pot (standard fish river bet). Defo up for discussion after reading the description of villain though.

Given action I fold turn without strong reads, if villains that bad it's inevitable he's gonna spew eventually and i'm sick if i hero call and i'm wrong at this stage in the tourney.

Hand 3: Think you know flatting is horrible here. Fold pre unless there's a very good reason to shove.
                                      Last edited by LTL; 02-01-12, 01:26.

Comment

Huh, Math my dear boy is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
                                        My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666

Comment

Working...
                                        X