Mmm, with squeeze please - live hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmm, with squeeze please - live hand

More posting this to get views on my rationale for the squeeze, i.e, the fact that I had an ace, and also because there never seems to be discussions here on when you should squeexe (as opposed to whether a villain was squeezing) but will give the rest of the detail anyway:-

FT of live MTT, €130 buy in. 6 handed and in the money. Standard payouts – maybe two buy ins if you get knocked out now, up to 10 buy ins for second, 14 buy ins for first.

Blinds – 2k/4k, with antes (prob 100?)

I am SB playing 130k approx. I have only showed good hands at FT and won a few flips to get where I am, however, I still think my image is a little loose and gamey.

BB is chip leader with 160k approx. He appears to be a bit spewy and a bit of a calling station.

UTG, 45k ish, is making himself play tight but is clearly a gambler at heart and has limp folded a few times (IMO with a view to indulging the gambling beast inside him). He has also previously over-pushed big hands like KK and AA pre without getting action. I get the impression that he is playing a bit over cautiously and maybe the buy in / pay outs mean a lot to him.

Villain on the button playing 95k. Would describe him as a very competent LAG. He is, unfortunately, very good at da pokerz and has used his stack well up to now taking pots uncontested. The only reason he isn’t chip leader is that he got sucked out on after making a couple of correct and counter intuitive calls with bottom or middle pair to opponent’s all – ins post flop.

Other players irrelevant.

Basically, because the BB has loads of chips and is spewey I have determined that it is unwise to try and rob his blinds and the only way I am going to get chips is either with cards or by playing back at the button / robbing players to my right. I have defended my blind twice against button, unsuccessfully. Also, the exact same situation in this hand arose on the last level, i.e., UTG limped, button raised to 4-5BB, I pushed from SB for about half of what I have now and button instafolded when it got back round to him.

Also relevant, there has been a bit of niggle between myself and button.

So...

UTG (45k) limps for 4k, folded to button (95k) who raises to 28kish. He has done this twice before (once when I came over the top) and I have no doubt that he is attacking UTGs limp. I (130k) look down at A6o in SB...

I am not worried about BB because, spewey though he is, he clearly knows enough to get out of this hand if I push given the action. I am not really worried about UTG as he is over-valuing his tournament life and even if he does call he won’t cripple me.

So I want to squeeze and while I’m thinking about it a thought from another thread on here comes to mind, namely, if you’re going to push in the hope that others will fold you’re better off doing it with an ace, since the fact that you have one means their calling range is thinned. Previously I would have avoided getting it in in this situation because if I’m called I’m likely to be dominated.

So 2 qs:

1. Is the fact that I have an ace a good rationale (in addition to the table dynamic above) for pushing?

2. If I’m pushing should I instapush to give the impression that I’ve a monster rather than dwelling thinking about the above before pushing?

3. Any other general thoughts on when to squeeze (I appreciate that the history between me and villian does not make this the best spot in the world)?

Originally posted by 8611 View Post
    Blinds – 2k/4k, with antes (prob 100?)
    Antes should be 400.

Originally posted by 8611 View Post
    So 2 qs:

1. Is the fact that I have an ace a good rationale (in addition to the table dynamic above) for pushing?

2. If I’m pushing should I instapush to give the impression that I’ve a monster rather than dwelling thinking about the above before pushing?

3. Any other general thoughts on when to squeeze (I appreciate that the history between me and villian does not make this the best spot in the world)?
    That's 3 questions

1. No. I doubt button was squeezing with the intention of folding to a re-ship and crippling his stack.

2. Do whatever you normally do. Any variation from usual will be picked up on by a watchful player. If you are normally quick to play then do this. If you normally consider (or appear to consider) for a time on each street then do this.

For what it's worth, the SB is less than 2% of your stack. This is an easy fold to move up the payout ladder if button can knock out utg here.
    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

easiest fold ever and not a good spot to squeeze.

Villain has over raised to 7x - roughly 30% of his stack. First this would lead me to believe hes lolbad and there will be plenty of better opportunities to get his stack.

second he prob raised that much so UTG cant call its either all in or fold.

Anyway not a good spot to squeeze

Comment

Awful spot for a squeeze imho, and also not the best hand to be considering doing it with. If you do squeeze and the button calls (he does have 33% of his stack in already), your more than likely dominated. You have 30+ bb's and are in great shape, just fold.

Connie

Comment

Easy fold
          Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

ok, I think I got the stack sizes arse ways cos I'm pretty sure button had about 20% of his stack in with the bet, but points taken, thanks

Originally posted by connie147 View Post
            If you do squeeze and the button calls your more than likely dominated

Connie
            this is what I'm most interested in tbh, am I better off squeezing with 78 suited kind of hands or is my thinking that there are only 3 aces left in the deck therefore less AA AK AQ AJ A10 type hands that he will call me with right?

Comment

Working...
            X