Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    you seem to be absolutely right on the slav front. I'd just assumed the reason for their miserableness was slavicness. We can hopefully both agree that no-one votes for a xenophobic party if they are happy with their lot in life? (they are btw one of the least happy countries in europe, just before you respond by saying you once saw the Budapestian girl smile). Only miserable people vote for these types of ideals - they are innately sad and fearful of the future.
    It is a widely held perception that former Communist countries do have people which are a little serious alright. I would imagine that plays a big role in their happiness and fear levels for a large part of the population to have lived through/heard first hand accounts of that.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 08-04-18, 23:24.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
        Was it just me or did Reed get a very tame round of applause from the crowd on the 18th?
        Bit like our jack
        Some love lots hate him and they rest just listen to his crap

Comment

Well it was Raoul who started this by engaging him but hurling never even got a mention even when the floor was fully free for it to dazzle us!
          I needed some padding!
          Don't be bashing Raoul, he's the only one in here that is willing or able to engage about field hockey, what's rare is beautiful.

Comment

I have no idea how they came about those stats Hitch, but the UK and Ireland seem too high. I hated living in the UK, know loads who are not enamoured by it and I don't think the life in Ireland was that great.

Weather affects how everyone feels about their life. They might not think it, but the cold winters are as depressing as fk. Watched loads of people from the UK and Ireland moan these last 4 months. How can they be overall happy?

I don't buy it anyway!

Comment

Have a look at these life satisfaction stats. How fcking absolutely depressing is that. Every single decade you age in Hungary you get less happy. No wonder these poor saps are casting around for anything. Contrast that with the beautiful Irish figures. And wow at how depressing Bugaria is. My god. It does somewhat confirm the mindset of my middle-aged Bulgarian friend and colleague here who keeps messaging me with how sad she is

Possibly an indication of how heavily weighted towards OAPs our wealth distribution is?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Three days to go until Aintree.

Comment

Pretty interesting how well the Nordic countries with the high tax and high social spending always do in those polls. The reports typically quote the social programs as the main drivers of happiness and sense of community there I believe.

Comment

Comment

You're questioning why UK and Ireland are so high with the cold winters, and not Iceland with it's ultra cold winters + six months no sunlight?!
                      Ah come on! you get to see the Northern Lights first hand. Would that not make you happy!

Comment

I did a school project on Hungary in the 70's and the only thing I remember is that they had the highest recorded suicide rate .
                        Nice place. Now the jackboot is firmly on the neck of the immigrant while the reality is that a much bigger issue is emigration.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The saddest countries must be those where the young people start off relatively satisfied with their lives, and gradually lose this happiness as the decades go by Obviously the Eastern European places, but also Spain, Greece, Portugal.

In no way surprised that people's satisfaction increases in Ireland anyhow as time goes on. Retire in Ireland with your mortgage paid off, a civil service pension or two coming in each month and with decent health, and you've truly won the lottery of life. There's a lot of people in those circumstances here too.

Comment

The saddest countries must be those where the young people start off relatively satisfied with their lives, and gradually lose this happiness as the decades go by Obviously the Eastern European places, but also Spain, Greece, Portugal.

In no way surprised that people's satisfaction increases in Ireland anyhow as time goes on. Retire in Ireland with your mortgage paid off, a civil service pension or two coming in each month and with decent health, and you've truly won the lottery of life. There's a lot of people in those circumstances here too.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

You're questioning why UK and Ireland are so high with the cold winters, and not Iceland with it's ultra cold winters + six months no sunlight?!
                                    I had a roommate who maintained she had Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm not quite sure I buy it as a first order cause of happiness/sadness. Sunlight releasing serotonin and so on. I'm sure it does but not to the extent that it's primary cause.
                                    Personally, I think its more to do with the restrictions it may place on the activities you enjoy. If you like to swim, sunbathe, cycle etc they're limited in poor weather.

On the wealth thing, ample studies on that. Dan Gilbert says 60-75k and anything above has little affect.
                                    Also when it comes to happiness there's that whole hedonic treadmill(adaptation) so that people quite easily readjust after major life events such as changes in wealth.

Comment

Yeah, that's such an awful life progression! That Hungarian one, or the Bulgarian one as an extreme. How fcking depressing must that be for things to just be constantly getting worse?! Especially in Hungary where you start off super-satisfied with everything.
                                      I would imagine its a transitional thing. The old lived through communism, probably have little accumulated savings or private pension support. It doesn't necessarily follow from your stats that things get worse as you get older. They are just worse for the old at the moment.

Comment

Comment

Came in to work this morning to find a very unhapppy Hungarian waiting for me. The lad has driven two or three days with an 800Kg unit to deliver to an office without giving us any advance notice in a van with no tail lift nor even a pallet truck. He didn't take too kindly to the google translate of go away and come back when your boss has provided you with the right tools for the job.
                                          Getting exciting now he says his ferry leaves in two hours, his boss has no interest in doing anything and it will take us at least a few hours to sort out someone who can handle the logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                            Came in to work this morning to find a very unhapppy Hungarian waiting for me. The lad has driven two or three days with an 800Kg unit to deliver to an office without giving us any advance notice in a van with no tail lift nor even a pallet truck. He didn't take too kindly to the google translate of go away and come back when your boss has provided you with the right tools for the job.
                                            Getting exciting now he says his ferry leaves in two hours, his boss has no interest in doing anything and it will take us at least a few hours to sort out someone who can handle the logistics.
                                            Ask him to rate his happiness on the scale Hitch provided.

Then tell him to stop electing wankers.

Comment

Comment

Regarding pensions, is there a decent online calculator which lets you put in increasing contributions over a period of time and ultimately gives you a total fund value in X years based on certain growth assumptions? I can’t seem to find one and the reason I ask is just to make sure maxing contributions now won’t potentially breach the fund threshold down the line when I could use the money for any number of better things right now (Im probably being wildly optimistic about what I’ll earn at 40 )

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Anyone know what Spieth was trading at yesterday?
                                                  i got him @ 35/1 without reed e/w 1,2

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                    Regarding pensions, is there a decent online calculator which lets you put in increasing contributions over a period of time and ultimately gives you a total fund value in X years based on certain growth assumptions? I can’t seem to find one and the reason I ask is just to make sure maxing contributions now won’t potentially breach the fund threshold down the line when I could use the money for any number of better things right now (Im probably being wildly optimistic about what I’ll earn at 40 )

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Retiring from a life in your average civil service job sure would make me a lot happier!

Comment

Bill Clinton in the merrion hotel.
                                                        I'll tell him you said hello Jack
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Excellent, thanks

Comment

Stunning view!

SPOILER
                                                            That's North Korea btw (i'm not there!)

Comment

I work on this type of cross-country soft features quite a lot now, and the core question that seems to be related to life satisfaction and happiness is another question they ask in the European Values Survey about whether you've 'had a meal or a drink with friends in the last two weeks'. Obviously this is assuming you are healthy, as illness creates misery.

Bit mad really after everything we've progressed on - massive wealth accumulation and all the other constant focuses of societal progress, and all that really matters in terms of being happy is having a few pals to chat with.
                                                              Would love to get 2 weeks off from meeting people for drinks, dinner or a big event. My poor bank balance would appreciate it and having those 2 weekends to reorganise my apt would be class. Not being midweek hungover would be a plus too I guess

Comment

Comment

Great bunch

"Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                  "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                    I had a roommate who maintained she had Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm not quite sure I buy it as a first order cause of happiness/sadness. Sunlight releasing serotonin and so on. I'm sure it does but not to the extent that it's primary cause.
                                                                    Personally, I think its more to do with the restrictions it may place on the activities you enjoy. If you like to swim, sunbathe, cycle etc they're limited in poor weather.

On the wealth thing, ample studies on that. Dan Gilbert says 60-75k and anything above has little affect.
                                                                    Also when it comes to happiness there's that whole hedonic treadmill(adaptation) so that people quite easily readjust after major life events such as changes in wealth.
                                                                    I would have thought it would be higher than that for married with kids people.

At 70k salary you are a 2 income family presumably as I would say you need to pulling in comfortably over 100 before you could let your other half stay at home full time. Well unless they are making very little and child care will cost more or they are making normal enough money and you have 2 or 3 in.

I would see being able to have one full time stay at home as a huge happiness booster and stress reliever on families.

For a single person 70k seems pretty comfortable tho. Does that mean 140k for a couple? If it does I can see how the difference between 120 and 140 makes way less difference than 60 to 70 even if they are percentage wise the same.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'd say those are international average numbers. Think Brady is talking about the Easterlin Paradox which says countries with higher GDP-per-person aren't necessarily happier after a certain level of wealth. A little bit discredited as an idea, but generally seems about right. But there isn't an Irish specific amount of money at which that level is reached.

I'd imagine for Dublin its whatever would let you own a reasonably okay house and go on two holidays a year - maybe around 70k in Dublin? Its not that you are delighted with that money, but more that being on 100k wouldn't necessarily make you much happier.
                                                                          Nah it would definitely make me much happier

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                            Would love to get 2 weeks off from meeting people for drinks, dinner or a big event. My poor bank balance would appreciate it and having those 2 weekends to reorganise my apt would be class. Not being midweek hungover would be a plus too I guess
                                                                            Have a baby. That'll take care of all those problems, although long term not great for the bank balance admittedly.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                              Have a baby. That'll take care of all those problems, although long term not great for the bank balance admittedly.
                                                                              Don't think they are meant to be great for helping organise your living spaces either

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                Don't think they are meant to be great for helping organise your living spaces either
                                                                                They make it super easy, they help organise your your space into two sections:

1. Baby shit
                                                                                2. All other shit

Comment

I follow the 147 Snooker Club in the North coz of the Rankings as they have a poker arm aswell.

I see a 13yo cleared a maximum 147 clearance at the weekend and google tells me the current record is 15y90d (albeit for a competitive clearance). Seems pretty impressive to me either way.

Comment

They make it super easy, they help organise your your space into two sections:

1. Baby shit
                                                                                    2. All other shit

You lumping actual baby shit in there, because there is a fair amount of that too.
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Picked up Leinster semi tickets there. Delighted should be a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                        I follow the 147 Snooker Club in the North coz of the Rankings as they have a poker arm aswell.

I see a 13yo cleared a maximum 147 clearance at the weekend and google tells me the current record is 15y90d (albeit for a competitive clearance). Seems pretty impressive to me either way.
                                                                                        Having Mark Allen as your step-dad is a bit of help.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                          Picked up Leinster semi tickets there. Delighted should be a cracker.
                                                                                          How did you get tix?

I've been haunting ticketmaster but no general sale yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                            You lumping actual baby shit in there, because there is a fair amount of that too.
                                                                                            Shuusshhhhh, not at that stage yet...

Selling the product not the byproduct

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                  How did you get tix?

Check your PMs.

Comment

How did you get tix?

Leinster season ticket holders get a code. Just ask someone who might have an option on 4 if they have a code to spare.
                                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                      Leinster season ticket holders get a code. Just ask someone who might have an option on 4 if they have a code to spare.
                                                                                                      Ten years for the aviva get them too.

Comment

My boss runs a Masters sweep every year.

One of the customers, a guy that knows nothing about golf got Patrick Cantlay. He decided later that day to stick a few quid on him.

Obv gets mixed up and backs Patrick Reed by mistake.

Nice €1700 mistake.
                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                          Gaa jerseys really are the ugliest jerseys in world sport (obviously makes them very easy to spot) . Definitely need a branding/fashion overhaul.
                                                                                                          Was up in Cavan last week at a charity do and I seen some dude walking around in a GAA jersey with Buckfast as the sponsor.
                                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I'd take a code for Tix too if there's one going

Comment

Check your PMs.
                                                                                                              Viktor Orban is a far-sighted visionary.

That's all I'm saying.

Comment

Viktor Orban is a far-sighted visionary.

That's all I'm saying.
                                                                                                                Did it work for you?

Comment

Did it work for you?
                                                                                                                  Yes thanks, two tix on the half-way line.

There looked to be loads of availability in all the sections I saw so probably a general sale coming on Thurs once the pre-sale ends.

Comment

Anybody up to date on filelockers? My Uploaded.net account expired the other day (mostly using torrents through my NAS) but from time to time I still used UL but the links to be dead and a lot of the sites tend to favour RapidRAR/NitroFlare/ClicknUpload
                                                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Yes thanks, two tix on the half-way line.

There looked to be loads of availability in all the sections I saw so probably a general sale coming on Thurs once the pre-sale ends.
                                                                                                                      Ah there will be loads on general sale and then another heap when scarlets return half their allocation. I’d say it will be a sellout by the 21st but you’ll be able to get tickets up to a few days beforehand.
                                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                        Ah there will be loads on general sale and then another heap when scarlets return half their allocation. I’d say it will be a sellout by the 21st but you’ll be able to get tickets up to a few days beforehand.
                                                                                                                        No doubt but the mindset kicked in. Get booked early (paid off for Bilbao - flights now 3* what we paid).

Be surprised if there's €10 tix though.

Comment

No doubt but the mindset kicked in. Get booked early (paid off for Bilbao - flights now 3* what we paid).

Be surprised if there's €10 tix though.
                                                                                                                          Bilbao will be amazing, won't be going myself. Still sick over last year having bought the flights and tickets after 2 successful Irish quarter finals.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X