Running (up that hill)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
    I recall some posts in the past re good socks for blister prevention, can anyone remind me of some brands you find effective? I seem to blow hot & cold with my resistance to blisters but last couple weeks I keep compounding an ever-growing surface area on the right sole without much volume so it's time to test some new gear!
    Balega “hidden comfort” is what I use, and haven’t had a blister since. They’re about €15/pair and worth every penny.

Comment

Haven’t been in here much but running very consistently of late, up to 160km for the 200km lockdown challenge with about 2 weeks left. I’m really enjoying getting back in the groove and I’ve only missed one day in 25 since I started.

ive kept everything slow as I’ve learned the lessons of prior attempts though thus time I’ve added in a 1km warm down where I stop at every lamppost (20!) on th way and do 15 seconds of stretching, which seems to leave me fresh each day. I’ve also kept the daily mileage to about 6-8km so I don’t need rest days.

having made such progress I’m going to attempt a 1000km 2020 target and I’m at 820km at the moment, so I’d need to do 4km/day to get there. My original target was 600km.

Comment

Getting back into some regularity with the running the last couple weeks, nothing crazy but 2-3 times a week. Going to try for 7k on Friday should hopefully do okay, I switched from my Asics to Nike and so far with the new runners the blisters I was getting on my heels aren't reapperaing.

On the issue of running gear I generally tend to run early in the morning when it's dark or the evening, got a little torch for the head to have some light but looking at picking up some other stuff so I'm able to be seen anything people recommend? Also in relation to clothing, I've been running most in shorts/long sleeve but it's going to start getting a lot colder so will definitely need something to keep warm, any suggestions/recommendations throw them my way.
        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
          Getting back into some regularity with the running the last couple weeks, nothing crazy but 2-3 times a week. Going to try for 7k on Friday should hopefully do okay, I switched from my Asics to Nike and so far with the new runners the blisters I was getting on my heels aren't reapperaing.

On the issue of running gear I generally tend to run early in the morning when it's dark or the evening, got a little torch for the head to have some light but looking at picking up some other stuff so I'm able to be seen anything people recommend? Also in relation to clothing, I've been running most in shorts/long sleeve but it's going to start getting a lot colder so will definitely need something to keep warm, any suggestions/recommendations throw them my way.
          No matter how cool it is I always run in shorts, even went for a run on the lake in Chicago thinking it was 2C and turned out to be -9C! Hate being too warm on a run

Comment

Hit 900 tracked runs on RunKeeper yesterday (and 901 today over the last 8 years).

Tracking to 1400km this year, possibly 1500 depending on weather. 40-50% more than the usual 1000km.

Working form home is the bomb for running. No way I could do that if I was in an office, even if it was only 6 or 7km away trying to juggle a kid/childminder/shcool etc... with running for one hour per day would be too onerous I think.

I'm sure i'll go back to an office eventually but running 40-50 km per week from home seems so much better for me than struggling to hit 20km in the good/bad old days pre-virus.

Comment

Under Armour Cold Gear base layers are great for cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                Hit 900 tracked runs on RunKeeper yesterday (and 901 today over the last 8 years).

Tracking to 1400km this year, possibly 1500 depending on weather. 40-50% more than the usual 1000km.

Working form home is the bomb for running. No way I could do that if I was in an office, even if it was only 6 or 7km away trying to juggle a kid/childminder/shcool etc... with running for one hour per day would be too onerous I think.

I'm sure i'll go back to an office eventually but running 40-50 km per week from home seems so much better for me than struggling to hit 20km in the good/bad old days pre-virus.

Yeah likewise I’ve managed nearly 900km so far this year, when my target was 600km. I did 450km in the 12 weeks of lockdown...

i really love the freedom of WFH to just get 30-40mins of exercise in each day,

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  Under Armour Cold Gear base layers are great for cold weather.
                  Yeah I love their tops

Comment

I wear a pair of heatgear tights under my shorts when it's cold as well. I don't really need them but find the extra covering makes me less reluctant to get out the door when it's bitter out. They're light enough and wick sweat away well so they don't bother me after I warm up either.

I must head out now and do 10k which will get me to 150/200 in that challenge of yours. I'm glad I spotted it on Strava cos it's got me right back into it and I've been enjoying it massively.

Incidentally, I've found any time I get to around 16k all of a sudden my knee gets quite sore at the back and slightly around the outside. I can keep going but it totally blows me out of my stride and I feel like I'm nearly hobbling. It doesn't persist to runs in the following days. Anyone else ever run into a distance limit like that? Any idea what's to be done? I'd like to get a half marathon under my belt but this is restricting me

Comment

I wear a pair of heatgear tights under my shorts when it's cold as well. I don't really need them but find the extra covering makes me less reluctant to get out the door when it's bitter out. They're light enough and wick sweat away well so they don't bother me after I warm up either.

I must head out now and do 10k which will get me to 150/200 in that challenge of yours. I'm glad I spotted it on Strava cos it's got me right back into it and I've been enjoying it massively.

Incidentally, I've found any time I get to around 16k all of a sudden my knee gets quite sore at the back and slightly around the outside. I can keep going but it totally blows me out of my stride and I feel like I'm nearly hobbling. It doesn't persist to runs in the following days. Anyone else ever run into a distance limit like that? Any idea what's to be done? I'd like to get a half marathon under my belt but this is restricting me
                      I don't often run over 10km in order to notice it, but I find when my knee gets at me from running some work on the IT band (outer thigh) works well, as it's nearly impossible to stretch it effectively dynamically. I also try to mix up my foot plant as well to give certain muscles a rest.

My guess would be that it's just fatigue and so hopefully eases over time.

I'm up to 195km myself, and likewise I saw a mate who's not really a runner started it on Strava and it's been a Godsend. I'm at 851km at the moment and considering going for 1000km this year, but I think even 900km would be decent, without the challenge I doubt I'd have done 50km never mind the 200km.

Comment

200km challenge completed, really enjoyed that one, with 10 days to go.

Key was to go slower and regularly, no issues at all along the way. didn't have to take a day off to rest. Usually i'd have a lash for a km if i was feeling good, but stayed above 5mins for the first 100km and only did 4:30 on occasions.

I'm using strava premium, and with a HRM, so you get a relative effort score which in turn feeds into fitness. I've got the fitness score to 42 from 10 in the las 5 weeks, the highest i've got it was 48 in July so that's the next goal.

Also have 860km for the year done, will have to have a lash at 1000km before year end now.

Comment

Have had the same for a few months now, usually around the 12km mark. If I run through it and do 20km+ it will persist for a couple of days. It's only the right knee for me & hard to describe the feeling; it's not painful but it's noticeable, almost like a faint ligament issue, a feeling of "something's not fully right" rather than "something's very much wrong." I know I've had spells of similar debilitating niggles in the past that just dissipate over time so, much like my general ineptitude with stretching/maintenance, I just do what I can while I can.

Comment

Cheers for all the recommendations on gear.

I've been keeping a bit of consistency with the running and managed to get a personal best last week of 8k but this morning we were out running and went for 10k and managed to get it done, to say I'm absolutely chuffed is an understatement. Started the running app in December of last year and to have been able to run 10k was fantastic, use to run for the bus and be out of breath.

Achievement unlocked.

Comment

Have had the same for a few months now, usually around the 12km mark. If I run through it and do 20km+ it will persist for a couple of days. It's only the right knee for me & hard to describe the feeling; it's not painful but it's noticeable, almost like a faint ligament issue, a feeling of "something's not fully right" rather than "something's very much wrong." I know I've had spells of similar debilitating niggles in the past that just dissipate over time so, much like my general ineptitude with stretching/maintenance, I just do what I can while I can.
                              Yeah that sounds very similar to what I get. Maybe I'll go for a long run some day and it'll just be gone!

Nice going Danny, the first 10k is a great milestone.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                Cheers for all the recommendations on gear.

I've been keeping a bit of consistency with the running and managed to get a personal best last week of 8k but this morning we were out running and went for 10k and managed to get it done, to say I'm absolutely chuffed is an understatement. Started the running app in December of last year and to have been able to run 10k was fantastic, use to run for the bus and be out of breath.

Achievement unlocked.
                                That’s class, it’s such an addictive drug in a good way! You won’t believe how quickly you’ll get to a 50min 10km and so on... enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

That’s class, it’s such an addictive drug in a good way! You won’t believe how quickly you’ll get to a 50min 10km and so on... enjoy it
                                  That might be a long way off, will take a lot of time & effort to get the times down, took 1h17m for that 10k so not that quick by any stretch.

Comment

Balega “hidden comfort” is what I use, and haven’t had a blister since. They’re about €15/pair and worth every penny.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/sear...unning%20Socks
                                    First run in these today; they felt great!

Comment

Must get some under armour.
                                      Was out for a run in trackies and polo shirt, a bit nippy at the start, mind you warm up fairly quickly.

Still mostly doing slow 5k plus @ 6min per k pace (if fitbit is correct) mixing in some faster interval sessions and some hills.
                                      Think Fitbit is off though as did a session with a faster 1k and it's still recording around the 6min pace, same with a proper
                                      sprint. Not too bothered anyway at the moment yet about times, I'll get a better tracker with GPS in the New Year

Happy to be getting out although only doing 5 sessions every 2 weeks. (Up to 38 push ups now too, used to knock out 50 not too long ago!)

Time to start thinking about some goals for the New Year.

Comment

Running today was very tough; Strava should've given 2x distance as a bonus! Needed running gloves for the first time this year.

Very close to 700km for the year, new aim is 730km by Dec 31 to hit a 2km/day average.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                          Running today was very tough; Strava should've given 2x distance as a bonus! Needed running gloves for the first time this year.

Very close to 700km for the year, new aim is 730km by Dec 31 to hit a 2km/day average.
                                          Fair play Paul. I put my snout out the door for about 5 seconds around noon and decided 'no way'. Keep 'er lit!

Comment

Some stocking fillers for the runner in your life (even if you have to buy them for yourself).

The one I'm hoping to get (or buy) is The Running Book by John Connell from Longford (review includes Ray D'Arcy interview link)

Unfortunately it also seems to be pretty much the running book I felt I could write after a decade of pounding the roads so I hope it's as good as the one I had in my head.
                                            Last edited by BennyHiFi; 06-12-20, 21:31. Reason: Turns out it's not quite the book I have in my head thankfully.

Comment

To keep me honest, YTD is at 1,230km - aim to close the year off at 1,400km & push for 2,000km next year.

Comment

I seem to inadvertently given myself a December challenge. Goal for the year was 750km and it was looking very comfortable at one stage but football restarted and we had games/training coming thick and fast and then I got a bad knee injury which required injections and dry needling to get me through games. In my final game before we got stopped I got a bad calf injury. With all the injuries I was off my feet for about 2 months and it felt like a long road to get back running.

Completed a 10k race in Feb. Didnt complete a 20k run, I think 18k was the closest I got and it's just too far for me so wont be trying again. I was close to a 22.30 5k pre injuries so dont think I'll get that

So that leaves my distance goal. 750km. And I am on 676km atm. So tgat makes December interesting and should be ok for motivation.

If I complete it, I should have my last run in the beautiful coastal village of Carrigaholt in Southwest Clare when we go down for the week after xmas to the missus sister and her family.

An interesting month ahead and I'd be hopeful of hitting that target.

Comment

Last few weeks of the year for everyone so retrospectives and resolutions are firmly on the agenda.

The pandemic has been transformative for a lot of people's running ambitions and achievements so keep 'em coming and good luck!

Comment

Did a great run earlier:

Fairly sure that's the fastest I've run that particular loop, the first 4km are all uphill, some decent climbs in there, 35 meters total. Obviously mostly downhill for the final 3km but by that stage I'm usually wrecked. Finally feel like I could muster a sub-21 5km if Parkrun started up again. Long way off sub-20 but that's a problem for 2021 maybe

Should have 730km for the year in the bag ahead of Xmas day, fingers crossed.

Comment

First run in these today; they felt great!
                                                      Glad you enjoyed it, I don’t run in anything else now!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                        Must get some under armour.
                                                        Was out for a run in trackies and polo shirt, a bit nippy at the start, mind you warm up fairly quickly.

Still mostly doing slow 5k plus @ 6min per k pace (if fitbit is correct) mixing in some faster interval sessions and some hills.
                                                        Think Fitbit is off though as did a session with a faster 1k and it's still recording around the 6min pace, same with a proper
                                                        sprint. Not too bothered anyway at the moment yet about times, I'll get a better tracker with GPS in the New Year

Happy to be getting out although only doing 5 sessions every 2 weeks. (Up to 38 push ups now too, used to knock out 50 not too long ago!)

Time to start thinking about some goals for the New Year.
                                                        It almost certainly won’t be correct. I’d suggest you download strava, pair it to your Fitbit and buy an arm phone holder, much more accurate and will give good HR data too.

Comment

Did a great run earlier:

Fairly sure that's the fastest I've run that particular loop, the first 4km are all uphill, some decent climbs in there, 35 meters total. Obviously mostly downhill for the final 3km but by that stage I'm usually wrecked. Finally feel like I could muster a sub-21 5km if Parkrun started up again. Long way off sub-20 but that's a problem for 2021 maybe

Should have 730km for the year in the bag ahead of Xmas day, fingers crossed.
                                                          Great progress Paul.

Lazare seems very quiet these days? Still running?

Comment

How do I follow ye on Strava? Is there a group?

Comment

It almost certainly won’t be correct. I’d suggest you download strava, pair it to your Fitbit and buy an arm phone holder, much more accurate and will give good HR data too.
                                                              Missed this post earlier.
                                                              Thanks for the tip, will look into that in the NY.
                                                              Happy enough just chugging away at the minute.

Had a nice run today 7.34km in 44mins. No issues or niggles just a nice steady slow comfortable jog. Increasing the distance just a little each time for my Sunday run. Surprisingly mild out too.

Comment

Another nice enjoyable slow one 7.76k ,47mins

Felt like I could go for another 5k!

Going to wait for the sales and get some new gear. Asics looking a bit battered.

Comment

How do I follow ye on Strava? Is there a group?
                                                                  Yeah, here's the club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/463383?oq=I

Throw up a link to your profile and I'll invite you

Comment

Went out for a run this morning in deepest Tipperary. Got to the end of the in-laws lane, turned left as usual and was faced with two snarling, untethered dogs out on the road.

I tried to run past them (which in hindsight was probably not the right thing to do but hey, what do I know, I've never kept a dog in my life) and they forced my onto the verge, nipping and snarling until eventually one of them, the alpha dog, bit me on the right calf.

Initially I thought it was just a bit of a nip but could see the dogs slobbers on the back of my running tights. I ran on about 100 metres and looked again and saw the stain getting darker.

Hmmm... probably better look at this I thought. Rolled up the leg, saw a bit of a mess and figured I should go back and have it cleaned up (daintily walking backwards past the dogs this time, still snarling and clearly happy to have another go if I gave them any justification).

Wife took one look and off we went to ShannonDoc in Nenagh hospital for four stitches.

Exposed wound the size of an old 50p with two decent fang punctures and the skin was all mashed where the dog pulled its teeth out and downwards at the same time.

Funnily enough it's not really sore. Doc says I can probably run again in about a week if it doesn't get infected which is a 50/50 chance he reckoned.

Wouldn't have minded so much if it had been on the way back. Ruined a perfectly nice run.

(Turns out the folks who own the dogs were away and the main aggressor is usually tied up with a chain when this is the case but had managed to break free. Plus their gate was open allowing them to roam onto the road. And the missus of the house minds kids so I think it gave them plenty of pause for thought).

Comment

Went out for a run this morning in deepest Tipperary. Got to the end of the in-laws lane, turned left as usual and was faced with two snarling, untethered dogs out on the road.

I tried to run past them (which in hindsight was probably not the right thing to do but hey, what do I know, I've never kept a dog in my life) and they forced my onto the verge, nipping and snarling until eventually one of them, the alpha dog, bit me on the right calf.

Initially I thought it was just a bit of a nip but could see the dogs slobbers on the back of my running tights. I ran on about 100 metres and looked again and saw the stain getting darker.

Hmmm... probably better look at this I thought. Rolled up the leg, saw a bit of a mess and figured I should go back and have it cleaned up (daintily walking backwards past the dogs this time, still snarling and clearly happy to have another go if I gave them any justification).

Wife took one look and off we went to ShannonDoc in Nenagh hospital for four stitches.

Exposed wound the size of an old 50p with two decent fang punctures and the skin was all mashed where the dog pulled its teeth out and downwards at the same time.

Funnily enough it's not really sore. Doc says I can probably run again in about a week if it doesn't get infected which is a 50/50 chance he reckoned.

Wouldn't have minded so much if it had been on the way back. Ruined a perfectly nice run.

(Turns out the folks who own the dogs were away and the main aggressor is usually tied up with a chain when this is the case but had managed to break free. Plus their gate was open allowing them to roam onto the road. And the missus of the house minds kids so I think it gave them plenty of pause for thought).
                                                                      Jaysus! Hopefully no infection.

Some balls on ye to go back through them again.

Had a greyhound type lunge at me recently. Owner was bent down fussing with his leash as I crossed running to their side of the road in the dark (in dark clothing) Dog went mental, big snarly teeth and lunging against the leash. Thankfully owner held on. Obviously startled the dog or he viewed me as a threat coming out of the dark towards them. Worrying though like you say about kids as the consequences would be far worse.

Comment

I did something to my back taking off my gear after a cycle in the lashing rain during the week. 12km off my 750km goal, I might not manage at this stage depending how I recover but not the end of the world.

Comment

I'm in a similar spot to you Keane. I'm 15k off my 750km target and have been laid up for 3 days with terrible back pain. No idea what or how I did it cos I've been purposely going slower on my runs in the hope of avoiding injury and haven't left the house in over a week now.

Going to try and get an early 10k run in now and hopefully get 5k later if I get through it. I really want to get that 750k now I'm.so close but wont push it if it's too sore.

Comment

That was great. Dark, freezing cold, ice and a bit of snow underfoot. Very refreshing. A steady pace at about 5.45 per km. Body feels good. Back to bed for a bit before trying a 5k tonight to reach my target.

Comment

Stopped the running Dec 24th and just maximized detachment from routine the past week so finishing the year at 1,321km with 14,600m elevation; goal for next year is simply minimum of double both. The elevation is important as I will mainly be partaking in trail races > road races when the world is spinning again.

Comment

Yeah, here's the club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/463383?oq=I

Throw up a link to your profile and I'll invite you
                                                                                Just joined, see ye in 2021

Comment

Well I was feeling very happy about achieving my 750km goal until I read that FM

But seriously, on a personal level. I'm delighted, today was the hardest, especially that 5k after the 10k this morning, slowest run of the year by a long way. But happy to get over the line and actually hit a target for the 1st time ever

Happy new year lads

Comment

1,379Km done for 2020. Upping the goal for 2021 to 1,500km.

Will be a slowish start to the year due to the stitches in my leg but hopefully can get back out by the middle/end of next week.

Good luck in '21 everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

2020 targets.
                                                                                      730K total again.
                                                                                      Go in the right direction timewise. 25.00 for 5K.
                                                                                      Definitely try a 15K this year.
                                                                                      Some sprint sessions in summer.
                                                                                      Better diet, more sleep, drop some dress sizes.
                                                                                      1) 765K. Those early days of lockdown really helped when I was able to stop work at exactly 5pm and go for a run 3 evenings a week. Got way ahead of schedule which was just as well as by Oct/Nov was rarely finishing work before 7pm.
                                                                                      2) Without parkrun I didn't do a lot of timed 5K. But nothing close to 25.00, 27xx was the best. Disappointing.
                                                                                      3) 11K was the furthest I ran.
                                                                                      4) One sprint session in May - I marked out a 100m bit of greenery. Sprint it, walk back, sprint it again, walk back, 20 times in total for 2K. Bloody hell, it gives pain in a whole different set of muscles.
                                                                                      5) Sleep was great under lockdown, and diet/dress size was going excellent for a few months. Tailed off badly from August and went into 100kg territory again. Can't outrun a bad diet.

2021 targets.
                                                                                      Much the same.
                                                                                      730K total, basically consistent 2K a day.
                                                                                      Concerted effort to get 25.00 when parkrun comes back.
                                                                                      A few more 10Ks and 12Ks for variety. Maybe even my mythical 15K.
                                                                                      Definitely do the sprinting again once or twice.
                                                                                      Again, better diet, drop weight. Surely I have the willpower for this, I've done it before. Over Christmas, a big but healthy looking Portuguese guy who sits beside me in work had a heart attack and died in the ambulance. He was 12 years younger than me so really have to take this as a warning that there is a tipping-point health-wise.

Congrats to everyone on targets binked, some great results. We go again.

Comment

Only getting back active here after a good while away. This thread "may" help keep me active on IPB.

2021 targets.
                                                                                        4,000km running
                                                                                        2,000km cycling

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dub13 View Post
                                                                                          Only getting back active here after a good while away. This thread "may" help keep me active on IPB.

2021 targets.
                                                                                          4,000km running
                                                                                          2,000km cycling
                                                                                          Welcome Dub13!

4,000 km is an average of nearly 80km a week - how do you tend to break it down? Do you take any rest periods? Any problems finding the time to do that kind of milage?

Comment

Welcome Dub13!

4,000 km is an average of nearly 80km a week - how do you tend to break it down? Do you take any rest periods? Any problems finding the time to do that kind of milage?
                                                                                            Thanks.

It's not that massive of a jump for me. Last year I did 3,300, actually I tell a small lie it was 3,299 should have got that last km...!! I have gone as high as 3,5xx in other years so just need to keep it more consistent.

I would generally run 5/6 times a week with a long run on the weekend of about 20km probably on average. But if training for a marathon that long run would be up to 35km. So some weeks I would often pass 100km.

As for the time, just discipline. I would often run into work if I am struggling for time or I have been known to run at 6am to get it out of the way.

If anybody is on strava feel free to follow me.
                                                                                            Paul Larkin is a runner from Ireland. Join Strava to track your activities, analyze your performance, and follow friends. Strava members can plan routes, participate in motivating challenges, and join clubs. Get started by signing up for free.

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dub13 View Post

Thanks.

It's not that massive of a jump for me. Last year I did 3,300, actually I tell a small lie it was 3,299 should have got that last km...!! I have gone as high as 3,5xx in other years so just need to keep it more consistent.

I would generally run 5/6 times a week with a long run on the weekend of about 20km probably on average. But if training for a marathon that long run would be up to 35km. So some weeks I would often pass 100km.

As for the time, just discipline. I would often run into work if I am struggling for time or I have been known to run at 6am to get it out of the way.

If anybody is on strava feel free to follow me.
                                                                                              Paul Larkin is a runner from Ireland. Join Strava to track your activities, analyze your performance, and follow friends. Strava members can plan routes, participate in motivating challenges, and join clubs. Get started by signing up for free.
                                                                                              Those are serious numbers! We have a group here if you want to add yourself feel free:

A club for all the runners at IrishPokerBoards - marathons, sprints and everything in between!

Comment

Finished up on 741km for the year. That's a multiple of the outdoor distance ran in any other year so was a very good achievement for me Only possible with the gyms being closed and the opportunities made open by lockdowns, but however.

I was doing approx. 25km/month last November, December and into January 2020, so really moved up a gear to increase the distance. From February onwards my new goal for the year was 600km+, and then into the 2nd half of 2020 I changed this to a more ambitious 730km to hit an average of 2km/day for the year. Achieved that on Dec 17 I think, so 750km would have been the next logical target but with a newborn in the house, once the creches finished up before Christmas and needing to entertain a toddler as well it was almost impossible to get out, only managed two runs in the last two weeks of the year!

Fastest 5km of 2020 was 21:14 in a Parkrun, which is a big step back from the times of 2016-2019, where I did a single 19:53 and a few 20:0X runs. Should Parkrun and road races start again in 2021 I imagine I'll get a few 20:XX times in.

Distance target for 2021 is 750km.

Comment

Thread test again

Comment

Ran 480km
                                                                                                    Ran 1 race if you don’t include park runs (on Dec 26th)
                                                                                                    Got to 21.12 and down to 48:54 on 10km.

Target for 2020
                                                                                                    Run 600km - 50km/month
                                                                                                    Run 4 races, one of which should be a 10km
                                                                                                    Run two different park runs
                                                                                                    Run one race/park run with an IPB’r.
                                                                                                    5km sub 20:30
                                                                                                    10km sub 45mins
                                                                                                    Bonus: run a half marathon to beat the 2:42:xx time comfortably!
                                                                                                    2020
                                                                                                    Ran 901km
                                                                                                    ran 1 race, though it was a 10km
                                                                                                    no park runs
                                                                                                    none with IPB (Laz was that one in 2019?)
                                                                                                    new 1km PB of 3.28
                                                                                                    new 1mile PB of 5:38
                                                                                                    New 5km PB of 19:25, down from 21.12.
                                                                                                    New 10km PB of 45:01, down from 46:57.
                                                                                                    New 15km PB of 1:09:57, down from 2:07:06!
                                                                                                    No half marathon attempt

2021 goals
                                                                                                    750km running
                                                                                                    another sub 20m 5km, ideally in a race.
                                                                                                    10 in the 44:xx
                                                                                                    complete a half marathon in <01:39:38 which would be an hour quicker than the last attempt!
                                                                                                    run three races
                                                                                                    Last edited by Goodluck2me; 15-01-21, 15:23.

Comment

Doing 5km per day in January this year, first time I’ve really got into it.

tried it in 2018 and got injured day 4. Did 100km in 2019 and 2020 so it’s a natural step up. Lockdown makes it so much easier in terms of options, feels nice though. You know yiu have to go every day so you just get on with it.

Comment

Trying to add a bit of variety to the regime, and have a nice 1km steep hill about 2 km from the house, so attacking KOM attempts has been fun. Managed to get a 3:08km (downhill obviously) which was harder than I thought!

Comment

Getting back into it a little bit. It's amazing how bad the conditioning gets after only a few weeks of idleness. Trying to get back into the old Lazare school of getting Kms under the feet at nice relaxed pace so I look forward to getting out instead of putting it off

Comment

Getting back into it a little bit. It's amazing how bad the conditioning gets after only a few weeks of idleness. Trying to get back into the old Lazare school of getting Kms under the feet at nice relaxed pace so I look forward to getting out instead of putting it off
                                                                                                            One thing that’s working for me at the moment is to have a different challenge every day.

A few ideas
                                                                                                            - run a sub 4min km in you’re 3rd km (so you can warm up and warm down)
                                                                                                            - find a 1km hill to see how quick you can mount it, or descend.
                                                                                                            - try a 6min/4min/6/4/6 routine, basically really slow km/90% km/slow/fast
                                                                                                            - try a Fartlek session where you sprint from landmarks and then jog, I.e. every lamppost you see is flat out then slow after thr next one etc. Alternating
                                                                                                            - try to run a 5km without HR going over 120, that’s tough to go that slow.

Comment

So I got John Connell's The Running Book for Christmas and It was..hmmm... OK I suppose.

Disappointed a little TBH, seemed like he was directly copying an idea Haruki Murakami had 13 or 15 years about. Additionally he goes on about God at several junctures so definitely not for me.

Not a bad intro to an off beat running/history/philosophy book really and I shouldn't be too harsh but I found him a bit hard to like TBH. A bit of a 'try hard' but that's more personal on me probably. I mean he's only been running a few years and it seems like he needed a new topic after his cow book and at 30-odd years of age, this would afford him at least 150 pages of 'insight' into a topic.

The quality of writing is pretty good in fairness and, like the action, it clips a long at a decent pace and I finished it in a few nights.

Anyway if anyone would like to read it PM me with your address and I'll pop it in an envelope and send it on.

Comment

Really enjoyed reading all the achievements for 2020, savage stuff gents. I'll be adding myself to the IPB Strava club.

Took it easy for the first couple days into the new year but been getting some K's in the last couple weeks. I'm 12 days away from 1 year of minimum 10,000 steps every day, it's been a really good motivating factor for myself throughout this whole lockdown stuff.

Was in the park at 6:30am this morning got 6k done but felt a little sloppy with breathing, can't seem to control my heart rate even when taking the foot off the gas and slow down. Been running with the missus & our friend and we have head torches but depending on how far ahead some people get it can be hard to make them out so been thinking about getting some illuminated armbands or something of that ilk. Any recommendations?

Comment

Bought a spinning bike to get me through my injury recently. . Some great online programmes . Great intervals . Getting back my fitness . Tomorrow I take my tentative 1st run in weeks . Expect to be blowing hard even at 6 min per k pace . 3km max though .

Comment

Really need to get back on the road.
                                                                                                                    Find ing that the BJJ and strengths session are burning as much energy, so not really as useful to cut down weight

Comment

Did 5km/day in January which was a good challenge, mentally you just know you have to go every day so there’s no dilemma. On,y tough days were 23-24 where fatigue was starting to kick in and still a good bit away. Very enjoyable though

Comment

Took 2 weeks off and did a 10km on Sunday, it’s amazing how tired I am after it. Your fitness just plummets when you take a bit of time off at all

Comment

@ GLTM

I hear you.

Havent run at all since xmas day. Covid first 2 weeks Jan and have been like a hermit since. Only been out for about 4/5 walks.

The first couple of walks didnt feel great after at all, broke into cold sweat during it then felt bad afterward with a headache.
                                                                                                                          Just put me off doing anything , probably psychological now.

Doing squats and a few weights exercises so I dont turn completely to jelly!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X