Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knew I was missing a few things, just conferred with my friend.

Some finely dice onions need to go in at the start before the Zuchini, cook until softened, and after adding the prawns bang in a dash of white wine.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Watch the chicken sandwich he makes here at the start, it takes about 20-30mins to do, seems a lot of effort but my god it's worth it.
      Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

^^^^^Not availible in your country

Comment

You in Oz?

Anyway this is the nicest lasagne you are ever going to eat. It is worth it but does take a long time to do. Employ a helper. I usually make it the day before if having people over.

I got most of this recipe from Darina Allen’s book and some from my own head so it’s a bit all over the place, but I’ll try and put it together as best I can. She gives the ingredients in quantities which you can cut down on or bulk up depending on how many you’re cooking for. I’ve given the recipes for all the components first and the assembly of it is at the end. It’s certainly not a quick dish but it’s great to make in advance.
          Serves 12 (although I always think that her portions can be a bit small. That said, she makes up for it in butter and cream)
          450g (1lb) fresh lasagne (I used dried wavy lasagne sheets)
          225g (8oz) parmesan or mature cheddar cheese grated, or a mixture
          6 quantities béchamel sauce
          1 quantity of piperonata
          1 quantity of buttered spinach
          2 quantities of mushroom a la crème
          Spicy butternut squash
          Salt and pepper
          Green salad to serve

Bechemal sauce

300ml milk
          Few slices of carrot and onion
          3 peppercorns
          Small sprig of thyme and parsley
          25g butter and 25g flour for roux
          Pepper and salt
          Put the cold milk in a pan with the carrot, onion, peppercorns and herbs. Bring to the boil, simmer for 4-5 minutes and take off heat. Allow to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain and discard veg and herbs.
          Prepare a roux, and add the milk to the roux. Thicken to a light coating consistency. Season.

Piperonata

2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
          1 garlic clove, crushed
          1 onion sliced
          2 red peppers
          2 green peppers
          6 very large ripe tomatoes (I use a tin of plum tomatoes here and 3-4 small tomatoes)
          Salt, pepper, sugar to taste
          Fresh basil leaves (I use ~1 dessertspoon of pesto instead)
          I use Chorizo here too if it’s not specifically vegetarians I’m cooking for and it really adds to the flavour. Aldi do a gorgeous one at the moment. If you’re putting it in I don’t have the measurements, but the more the merrier.
          I put in some red wine too to richen it.
          Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish, add the garlic and cook for a few seconds, then mix in the sliced onion and allow to soften over a low heat, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
          Meanwhile, prepare the peppers: cut them in half, remove the seeds, cut into quarters and then into crossways strips. Add to the onion and toss in the oil. Replace the lid and continue to cook. If using chorizo, add slices here and fry a bit. If using wine, add about 100mls and allow to cook off for a minute.
          Skin the tomatoes (cover in boiling water for 10 seconds, then pour off the water and peel immediately). Slice the tomatoes and add them to the casserole. If using tinned tomatoes, add here with the juice. Season to taste with salt, pepper, some sugar, and a few basil leaves (or pesto). Cook until the vegetables are just soft, about 30 minutes.

Buttered Spinach

50-110g (2-4oz) butter
          900g (2lb) fresh spinach, with stalks removed
          Salt and pepper
          A little freshly grated nutmeg
          Wash the prepared spinach and drain. Put into a heavy saucepan on a very low heat, season and cover tightly. After a few minutes, stir and replace the lid. As soon as the spinach is cooked, about 5-8 minutes, strain off the copious amount of liquid that the spinach releases and press between two plates. Chop or puree in a food mixer if you like a smooth texture. Increase the heat, add butter, correct the seasoning and add freshly grated nutmeg to taste.

Mushroom a la crème

25g (1oz) butter
          175g (6oz) onions sliced
          450g (1lb) Mushrooms, sliced. (I like to use some large flat mushrooms. Gives it a lovely inky colour and nicer flavour than just button mushrooms)
          Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
          225ml cream (I find this a bit rich, so I don’t add the full amount of cream and use milk to make up the quantity. Crème fraiche works well here too and makes it a bit tangier)
          1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
          1 tablespoon of chopped chives or marjoram (optional)
          Salt and pepper
          Melt half the butter in a heavy saucepan until it foams. Add the chopped onions, cover and sweat on a low heat for 5-10 minutes, or until quite soft but not coloured. Set aside.
          Meanwhile, melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan and cook the sliced mushrooms, in batched=s if necessary. Season each batch with salt and pepper and a tiny squeeze of lemon juice. Add the mushrooms to the onions in the saucepan over a medium heat, then add the cream (and milk) and herbs and allow to bubble for a few minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning. (I sometimes add a teaspoon of pesto here too if it needs it)

Spicy butternut squash

This is my own bit so the measurements aren’t great.
          1 butternut squash cubed
          Olive oil
          chili powder
          cumin seeds
          coriander powder
          Cut the squash into cubes, toss in olive oil and sprinkle chilli powder, cumin, coriander powder, salt and pepper over the squash.
          Bake at 180deg for about 30-40 minutes

To Assemble the Lasagne

Preheat the oven to 180degC/gas mark 4
          Blanch the lasagne as directed on the packet. Some of the easi-cook lasagne may be used without blanching. Spread a little béchamel sauce on the base of a large lasagne dish, then cover with strips of pasta and a layer of piperonata. Top with another layer of pasta. Spread this with béchamel sauce, sprinkle with grated cheese and add a layer of buttered spinach. On this, add the squash. Cover with another layer of pasta, and then mushroom a la crème. Top with another layer of pasta. Carefully spread more bechemal sauce over the lot and finally sprinkle liberally with cheese. Make sure the pasta is all under the sauce.
          Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes for fresh pasta, 30 minutes for dried pasta or until bubbly and golden on top. If possible, leave to stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting to allow the layers to compact. Serve with a green salad.
          Last edited by RasTa; 25-08-11, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
            You in Oz?
            Yup, still here.

That lasagne looks epic. I'd love to give it a shot but I can't even get my head around everything.
            I have roast butternut squah a bit, just in olive oil.
            Bit try the spicy version and have it as a side dish, as I'm not even going to lie and pretend I might try the whole lasange.

Comment

Zaytoon style Chicken kebabs

This does about 4-6 breasts

1 and a half teaspoons of salt
              3 tablespoons of lemon juice
              1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and very finely grated
              2 cloves of garlic, crushed to a pulp
              1 teaspoon ground cumin
              1 teaspoon of bright red paprika(any will do)
              1/2-3/4 spoon of cayenne pepper
              6 tablespoons of whipping cream
              3 tablespoons of corn peanut oil

Chop your chicken and add firstly the salt and lemon, rub it in. Then slightly pierce the chicken and rub in again. Set aside for 20mins.

Mix all of the other stuff and then just dump it on the chicken and mix it about well. Cover and stick it in the fridge for 6-8 hours, longer the better.

Then when ready place on skewers and stick under the grill or bbq for 6-7 mins on each side.

It's piss easy to do.

Served with a thai Carrot salad is nice

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I make this often and never get tired of it. Hope you like it as much as I do. Yummy

Comment

Bump

Comment

Anyone got a decent Chesecake recipe?

Comment

http://www.cookingcomically.com may be worth a look (though not for cheesecake)
                    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                      Anyone got a decent Chesecake recipe?
                      Baked cheesecake or chilled cheesecake?

I prefer baked, as if a place bothers to do one its normally good quality.
                      Chilled can be very good (Toblerone cheesecake in Luigi Malones) or pretty poor (chilled aisle in supermarkets)

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                        I'm having pork chops - the boringest chop in chop universe - for dinner tonight.

Anyone suggest a way to jazz it up a bit?
                        Bit of a bump on this but i made breaded pork chops last night with a chilli mayo and some wedges...epic.

Ingredients.

Pork Chops (so boring)
                        Milk
                        Flour (seasoned with S&P and pinch of Cayenne)
                        Breadcrumbs
                        Sweet chilli sauce
                        Mayo
                        Wedges (i use the frozen mcains kind)

Directions

Turn on Deep fat Fryer to 200
                        Preheat oven to 225

1. Get your Wedges into the oven they normally take 12-15 minutes
                        2. Get your pork chops and bash them out to desired thickness, this is all dependant on size etc its all personal.
                        3. Dip in flour then milk and finally Breadcrumbs.
                        4. Re-Dip in milk then breadcrumbs for second coating..this helps big time.
                        5. Let the pork chops sit for a few minutes before bunging in deep fat fryer (normally take 5-7 minutes for desired crispyness

Chilli Mayo.. Take A good dollop of mayo and mix about half that of sweet chilli sauce and stir..the little sweetness and heat cut through the fatty pork and mayo..i love this dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          Baked cheesecake or chilled cheesecake?

I prefer baked, as if a place bothers to do one its normally good quality.
                          Chilled can be very good (Toblerone cheesecake in Luigi Malones) or pretty poor (chilled aisle in supermarkets)
                          A chilled one is preferable.

Comment

Looking for a spag bol recipe that's a bit out of the ordinary? In the mood for it tonight but my usual attempt at it is pretty simplistic so anyone have any additions they make to it?

Comment

you can use this sauce for whatever you want, bologonese, lasagne, shepardspie or anything else you deem it fit for.
                              i don't bother with the cream mostly because it is never there when i go to make it. i also put in a few heaped teaspoons of cornflour just to thicken the sauce a small bit. and this week i also experimented with a dash of worchester sauce (yum yum) and used a few spoons of pesto sauce instead of fresh basil (which i had none of either_) and it turned out delicious.

Ingredients
                              1 tablespoon olive oil
                              1oz / 25g butter
                              1 onion, finely chopped
                              2 carrots, finely chopped
                              2 celery sticks, finely chopped
                              2 garlic cloves, crushed
                              8oz / 225g button mushrooms, sliced
                              4oz / 100g rindless piece smoked streaky, finely chopped
                              12oz / 350g lean minced beef
                              1 tablespoon tomato puree
                              1/4 pint / 150ml dry white wine
                              2 x 14oz / 400g cans chopped tomatoes
                              1/2 pint / 300ml beef stock
                              1 tablespoon cream
                              1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
                              11/2lb / 675g spaghetti
                              6-8 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
                              salt and freshly ground black pepper
                              Warm Italian crusty bread, to serve

Method
                              Heat the butter and oil in a large sauté pan with a lid until sizzling. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms and bacon and sauté over a medium heat for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and everything is lightly browned, stirring frequently.

Add the minced beef to the pan, reduce the heat and cook gently for 10 minutes until well browned, stirring to breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Stir in the wine and simmer for 5 minutes until reduced. Stir in the tomato puree, canned tomatoes and half of the stock and bring to the boil, stirring to combine.

Reduce the heat under the pan, half cover with the lid and simmer very gently for about 2 hours or until the meat is meltingly tender, stirring occasionally and adding a little more of the remaining stock as it becomes absorbed.

Add the cream and basil to the sauce and mix well to combine, then simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes until the bolognaise sauce is well reduced and thickened, stirring frequently. Season to taste.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes until 'al dente' or according to packet instructions.

To serve
                              Drain the cooked spaghetti and tip into a large warmed serving bowl. Ladle over the bolognaise sauce and toss well to combine. Transfer to warm individual serving bowls and sprinkle over the Parmesan. Have a separate basket of the crusty bread to hand around.

Tip
                              I often make double the quantity of the bolognaise sauce and then freeze it in small batches.
                              Last edited by Angry-Ball; 10-10-11, 10:59.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Chicken, Bacon & Mexicana Cheese Pizza Sandwich

Take 2 wonderfully cheap microwaveable pizzas....
                                SPOILER

And some freshly roasted sliced chicken breast....
                                SPOILER

Pop it on top of your first tasty pizza....
                                SPOILER

Followed by a couple of rashers of tasty bacon....
                                SPOILER

Followed by a couple of slices of tasty Mexicana cheese....
                                SPOILER

Followed by, erm, the other pizza....
                                SPOILER

Ta-daa!
                                SPOILER
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Oh dude... that's horrific!

Comment

Oh dude... that's horrific!
                                    It's...well it's something alright.
                                    your hangover will be a thing of the past.
                                    Your colon may soon join it
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

lol have done this with margherita pizza (which is only one rest family eat)

I only cut it in half add bacon, pepperoni and anchovies (which i adore) and extra cheese

cook as normal and then sandwich it

3-4am beautiful

Comment

Please say you found that on the internet DP and didn't make it yourself

Comment

Lads need a bit of advice. I am going on a major bulking session next month and looking for suggestions for 2 or 3 meals that are both high in calories and healthy (not looking for the hunky dory diet).

I have the basics here: The Best Food to Gain Weight

I could do with a link to a couple of easy to prepare recipes for dinner.

I am hoping to gain 10lbs - 15lbs while lifting fairly heavy.

Comment

drink 1l (more?) of full fat milk a day (protein shakes with milk instead of water are unreal).
                                            Eat 40/50g of nuts a day - almonds / cashews ideal
                                            Try mixing some flaxseed oil into meals - depending on what you're eating.
                                            Just eat more of what you're eating if you're already eating clean.

What would be an average day's intake/meal plan for you?

Comment

Thanks Emmet. I don't have time now to get my diet typed up and its not the thread for it anyway but basically it consists of potatoes and chicken swamped in gravy and from the "ask anything about meat" chicken seems to be "horrible shite" so will see what happens.

Will spend the next week planning the diet and exercise for next month as I will finally have time to really give it everything for the month and will do the GOMAD suggestion as well.

Enjoying the thread, better than any cook book.

Comment

I wouldn't agree with the advice is that link tbh, 50% protein is unsustainable on a bulk, and its over kill, also 10% fat is too low. Lipids =/= Bodyfat
                                                40%Protein/30%Carbs/30%fat would be better. Good fats like peanut butter is perfect for a bulk.

Crush/Press/Grate 2 cloves of garlic, Fry in a good quality oil (sesame, coconut, peanut would be best but any will do),
                                                Add 400g chicken, fry until lightly browned
                                                Add 2 tbs of soy, oyster or fish sauce.
                                                Add chili flakes or spices to taste (optional), I go with ground chilli and paprika
                                                Add 50g peanut butter (or almond butter if you can afford it) higher % peanuts the better, lower heat and mix until chicken is coated and PNB has become sauce-like.

The above is about 800 calories and 125 protein. Add in your rice and there two good bulking meals there.

How long are you planning on bulking for.

Comment

How long are you planning on bulking for.
                                                  Thanks Mellor. I am planning on bulking for this month, not necessarily concerned with lean muscle gain this month, I am looking to gain 10-15lbs and hitting the gym and doing some of the cardio in a boxing class.

On to Tesco to stock up this evening.

Comment

Eat Nut butters and make sure you're gulping down Omega 3 tabs to offset the Omega 5s in the butter.

Should be easy enough to get an extra 1200 - 2000 kcals a day from Nut Butters / nuts and milk tbh.

Get into the fatty side of meats too, you want pork belly, rump steaks etc get as many non-junk calories into you as possible, and basically just eat all the time. Bulking sounds like it's great fun, but I'm not so sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                      Bulking sounds like it's great fun, but I'm not so sure!
                                                      It can be tough to keep eating when your body is telling you enough. I especially find that happening when I'm trying to get down the 3rd bagel. No pain no gain.

Comment

was looking for a sea food chowder recipe and came upon this beauty here;

trouble is obtaining cockles ?

would mussels, using less of of course work?

Soups made with seafood have always been popular in Ireland such as cockle soup.
                                                        Ingredients for Cockle Soup

40-50 cockles
                                                        1 oz butter
                                                        1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
                                                        2 heaped tablespoons flour
                                                        ¾ to 1 pint milk
                                                        2 sticks celery, finely chopped
                                                        2 tablespoons chopped parsley
                                                        Salt and pepper
                                                        ¼ pint single cream
                                                        1 stick of celery trimmed and finely chopped to garnish

Method for cooking Irish Cockle Soup

Wash and scrub the cockles well, discarding any that are open.

Place in a saucepan with just enough lightly salted water to cover and bring to the boil, shaking the pan from time to time.

Cook until the cockles open. When cool enough to handle, strain the cockles, reserving the liquid, and remove from the shells.

Melt the butter in a pan and seat the onion gently until soft, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.

Mix the cockle liquid and milk together add gradually to the flour mixture, stirring until smoothly blended.

Add the celery cook for 5 minutes, and then add the parsley and seasoning.

Bring to the boil, simmer for 2 to 3 minutes then add the cockles and heat through.

Stir in the cream and heat gently but do not boil.

Serve with crusty bread or fresh baked Soda Bread.

Comment

i like seafood, but it some thing i haven't been too adventurous with.
                                                          I've no problem with taking a fillet of white fish, tossign in spices and a lime and baking. Or a prawn stir fry. I current have a surf and turf dinner owed to me. nyom.

But true shellfish like oysters, cockles, mussles etc is something i've never had. I'd love to try them, but not sure how safe they are to try at home.

Comment

But true shellfish like oysters, cockles, mussles etc is something i've never had. I'd love to try them, but not sure how safe they are to try at home.
                                                            most supermarkets sell em fresh and all u need to do is de beard them ie take all the furry stuff off and a quick wash

i love mussels and have em quite often cooked simply in butter/cream/garlic/wine for a few mins

as long as u discard open pre and closed after there is no prob

bit of crusty bread to dip in cooking juices is devine imho

Comment

I've a good selection in the local shops. I'm just not sure of a good begineer recipe.
                                                              Fish night tonight, so tat convienient

Comment

Anyone got a good steak meal recipe that doesn't include spuds.

In other words what else can you eat steak with?

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post

When myself and himself have steak we have home made chips( really skinny) fry up some fresh chilli and garlic (loads of it) and add a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Yum!
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

legit steak sambo's?

toasted ciabatta, onions mushrooms fried, fresh mozzarella on top, lettuce, mayo, mustard or something like that?

Comment

roast parsnips instead of chips. Way nicer

Green beans too

Comment

roast parsnips instead of chips. Way nicer

Green beans too
                                                                        or actually sweet potato is lovely too and so good for you, bake in the oven!
                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

For steak, almost anything.
                                                                          Creamed spinach, mashed pumpkin/squash, red pepper pureé, fried eggs, roasted vegetables(selection can include peppers, onions, mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, shallots, etc). As mentioned above sweet potato in a variety is also a good accompaniment.

Comment

mash turnip/parsnip/carrot together with a pinch of sugar and lay the steak on top

steak fried and rested and pan deglazed with wine/cream and mustard and poured over

whether its red/white, or dijon or english mustard choice is yours

a side order of grean beans / brocoli florets to finish

now am effin hungry ..............

Comment

Cooking Tips

Thanks for your many cooking tips for different dishes. I have to print this post.

Comment

bump

Comment

bump
                                                                                  mmm sounds delish

hehehehhehe
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

really simple crunchy cauliflower cheese.

Cauliflower ..... boil as you do, then make cheese sauce any packet brand.
                                                                                    place cauliflower in oven proof dish cover with the sauce, bung in oven for 5 mins.

while waiting beat the crap out of a bag of cheese and onion crisps, take cauliflower from oven and sprinkle the squashed crisps all over dish and bung back into oven for 5 more mins!

yummy
                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

baked seabass with basil and roasted cherry tomatoes with sliced garlic cheese potatoes just gone into the oven, salad on the side of course
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                        really simple crunchy cauliflower cheese.

Cauliflower ..... boil as you do, then make cheese sauce any packet brand.
                                                                                        place cauliflower in oven proof dish cover with the sauce, bung in oven for 5 mins.

while waiting beat the crap out of a bag of cheese and onion crisps, take cauliflower from oven and sprinkle the squashed crisps all over dish and bung back into oven for 5 more mins!

yummy
                                                                                        ugh, I absolutely despise these, you know how easy it is to make sauces such as pepper, taragon, cheese etc. It literally takes a few minutes more than the time it takes from the packet, is so much healthier for you as doesn't contain the redic amount of salt and other nasty shit they put in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                          ugh, I absolutely despise these, you know how easy it is to make sauces such as pepper, taragon, cheese etc. It literally takes a few minutes more than the time it takes from the packet, is so much healthier for you as doesn't contain the redic amount of salt and other nasty shit they put in them.
                                                                                          Packets don't bother me at all. I'm sure most people are the same.
                                                                                          Not everyone makes their sauces from scratch.
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                            Packets don't bother me at all. I'm sure most people are the same.
                                                                                            Not everyone makes their sauces from scratch.
                                                                                            never buy a packet sauce, so easy to make and so much tastier

how hard is it to melt butter/add flour, milk, cheese, a dash of mustard and a bay leaf

voila, handy basic cheese sauce

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                              never buy a packet sauce, so easy to make and so much tastier

how hard is it to melt butter/add flour, milk, cheese, a dash of mustard and a bay leaf

voila, handy basic cheese sauce
                                                                                              No flour, bay leaf, mustard
                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Only place I know to put this. Cutting down on the diet and looking to loss weight. Struggling to replace my snack food though, usually I'd have a sandwich between meals so cutting down on bread and just going to eat wholemeal but also going to limit that so need some ideas on what snacks to have. Apart from fruit I'd struggling to think of what else.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                  Only place I know to put this. Cutting down on the diet and looking to loss weight. Struggling to replace my snack food though, usually I'd have a sandwich between meals so cutting down on bread and just going to eat wholemeal but also going to limit that so need some ideas on what snacks to have. Apart from fruit I'd struggling to think of what else.
                                                                                                  Nuts Teddy although high in calories a few mixed nuts tasty and should keep ya ticking over.
                                                                                                  Amixed bag of raisins and nuts costs 4euro for 500grammes wont go off like frest fruit can and should last a couple of weeks presuming you eat about 35gramms a day.

Comment

35gs is tiny though.

Eat meat as snacks. Like a real man.

Comment

35gs is tiny though.

Eat meat as snacks. Like a real man.
                                                                                                      Its a snack ounce and a quarter.
                                                                                                      If hes busy say working hell ahrdly be pulling out a chicken fillet out of pocket and having a chomp of it.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 27-01-12, 14:48.

Comment

hard to beat a wrap with turkey/chicken/tuna/fillet steak and a lettuce leaf for extra texture and pleasure ......

less than 300 calories in them all (at 100g of fillings) and tastier than bird food

Comment

make a note of everything you eat in a week, the sambo snacks are only a small part of it. Literally note down everything. tough to do I know but its only a week or your life. Also no point in cheating on it.

Just as we spoke about the packets yesterday, when you have something from a packet note it down. see if can you replace the sauces, soups, noodles or whatever with fresh ingredients. The different in quality is astonishing and doesnt contain all the nasty shit that they have.

either that or just eat oxo cubes all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                            make a note of everything you eat in a week, the sambo snacks are only a small part of it. Literally note down everything. tough to do I know but its only a week or your life. Also no point in cheating on it.

Just as we spoke about the packets yesterday, when you have something from a packet note it down. see if can you replace the sauces, soups, noodles or whatever with fresh ingredients. The different in quality is astonishing and doesnt contain all the nasty shit that they have.

either that or just eat oxo cubes all day long
                                                                                                            Just to say using something like www.fitday.com which is free is a really great way to note what you are eating. It will give you the calories and a breakdown of Fats/Carbs/protein.

Edit - Prob better if one of the mods could move this stuff into the general questions thread.

Opr
                                                                                                            Last edited by Opr; 27-01-12, 19:58.

Comment

Another great way to track all your food is with MyFitnessPal. An app available via iTunes. Prob an android version about too.

Comment

Looking for some cooking advice. Alright at cooking basic stuff but I have zero knowledge of different sauces/spices and what they work well with or don't so I'm wondering if there is a list of stuff(like spices for dummies or something like that) that would explain what they would work well with or is there anything that works with nearly everything? Salt is about the only thing I know.

Secondly I'm going to try cook something this weekend and looking for some idea, was thinking stir fry but I don't like any spicey stuff at all so if anyone has a decent recepie for it let me know. also, what's a good fish to use for someone who generally would hate fish? I'm thinking it will just be a starter but something different would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                                  Looking for some cooking advice. Alright at cooking basic stuff but I have zero knowledge of different sauces/spices and what they work well with or don't so I'm wondering if there is a list of stuff(like spices for dummies or something like that) that would explain what they would work well with or is there anything that works with nearly everything? Salt is about the only thing I know.

Secondly I'm going to try cook something this weekend and looking for some idea, was thinking stir fry but I don't like any spicey stuff at all so if anyone has a decent recepie for it let me know. also, what's a good fish to use for someone who generally would hate fish? I'm thinking it will just be a starter but something different would be nice.
                                                                                                                  A simple one Teddie chicken pieces and roast potatoes.
                                                                                                                  Thighs and drumsticks of chicken chop large potatoes white ones with skin on.
                                                                                                                  Heat oven to 190celcius.

Place chicken and poataoes in baking tray uncovered.
                                                                                                                  Add whole pieces of garlic some rosemary, sprinkled lots of pepper and salt and some sweet paprika powder.
                                                                                                                  Bake for 45 mins uncovered and serve lovely simple and tasty.
                                                                                                                  Sprinkle with oilve oil too not too much lots of fat will come off chicken.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 01-02-12, 00:42.

Comment

I bought one of these bad boys last week and it arrived yesterday. Does anyone here have any decent recipes or tips for using them?

I cooked Chicken with Lemon and Olives last night and it was divine.

Comment

Just had epic steak sambo

Stale french baguet, cut down the middle, garlic chopped roughly, mixed with olive oil, spread into open side, fried for a minute or two until it crisps up.

oil on both sides of steak. pan heating

i used whole sea salt,whole pepper corns, pink pepper corns, carraway seeds & sesame seeds. Ground these very roughly with back of knife, mix togther and covered one side of steak in it. Seared this side first for a minute then turned over. Gave this one more minute and turned one last time.

let the steak rest on the plate you are going to eat it off.

while this was being done i got rocket leaves, tossed them in olive oil/balsamic vinegar combo

mixed mayonaise with some course french mustard, spread this on the bread. sliced steak into decent sized pieces again on the plate so all the juices flow onto the plate, served on the bread with the rocket leaves on top. I had the bread a little bigger than the steak so then when i finished i could dip it in all the juices and flavours which were on the plate.

Comment

Time for a bump

Comment

will put up my chocolate cake recipe if anyone is interested. cross between death by chocolate and black forest without the kirsch basically

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X