Recommend a coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a coach

I've been an online poker player longer than most but until this year only ever played mtts occasionally - I've turned to them a lot more this year though and I'm on a good run http://www.officialpokerrankings.com...?t=2&rc=626520

I've never had coaching before, partly because it wasn't so prevalent back when I started and never got around to it until now. Anyway I think it's not time to sit back now and think I cracked mtts so I'm prepared to roll my sleeves up and improve my game - let's see if this old dog can learn some new tricks .

Anyway I'm pretty sure there's work for improvement so am looking for a coach with proven and viewable (via opr or other site) results at a high(ish) level to help. Ideally I'd like someone who would be available in the morning or afternoon GMT. Also if the coach had some sort of management approach like having an input into what tournaments to play etc - that could be good. Also would need to know what rate the coach is looking for - not prepared to pay ridiculous money like some coaches look for.

thanks for any help.

Would be good to get some lessons before I fly off to Macau to take down the APPT main event there

What kind of price per/hour are you willing to spend?. The mtt guy i linked in the 180 thread bigdshaggyj is $50/per hr. but its $70 for the first 2hr session.
    Theres alot of U.S sickos with good rates since black friday.

If u want someone like ajkhoosier i thinks its around 150 per hr minimum 3hrs.

Comment

Thanks Hammer for the info

Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
      What kind of price per/hour are you willing to spend?. The mtt guy i linked in the 180 thread bigdshaggyj is $50/per hr. but its $70 for the first 2hr session.
      Theres alot of U.S sickos with good rates since black friday.

Cheers. I had a look at some of the coaches offering coaching on 2+2 earlier on and spotted BigDShaggyJ. He seems to get quite a bit of praise in the thread and now you vouch for him as well.

I had a look at his record on Pokerstars on OPR and while he's got good results some elements didn't knock my socks off tbh. From his last 40 months of play 23 are losing and 17 are winning. His average buy-in isn't massively high either at $57 (with a 22% win rate) - ok not too low but ideally I'd like someone who was averaging at least close to $100 or better again more.

Anyway he's reasonably priced and getting vouched for from more than one source, including now from a respected IPBer so I'll defo bear him in mind.

I had a look at a few more also - NeverScaredB who's stats are a bit more impressive ABI at $136 and also with a win rate of 22% - he's also won 29/45 months. But imo his rate of $300 an hour for a minimum of a 3 hour lesson is just insane - far too steep for me. Fair play to him if he can get that though.

I took a look at a more recent coaching post also from SNGplayer24 on 2+2. His win rate is very very good and he's charging $80 an hour, $75 per hour for 4 lessons.

i know coaching isn't all about a player's stats to be fair but obviously I'm going to factor it in.

Which guy is he - if a coach was super sick goot then I might go to $150 an hour, tbh it's defo going about twice over what I was thinking of spending though.
      Last edited by luckylucky; 18-11-11, 14:40.

Comment

Benjamin Wade is a fantastic coach.

Comment

Laois, would BigdahaggyJ for example be a good coach for a intermediate player? or would it be more suitable for the higher standard folk.
          I am also interested in coaching and would be willing to spend a couple hundred $...

Comment

id suggest checking out Deucescracked http://www.deucescracked.com/coachin...ny&available=1

its free to get in touch with them and there will generally be reviews in the forums of each coach.

Comment

that sounds really cheap for ajkhoosier
              "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

I've heard Mike 'Timex' McDonald is supposed to be pretty good.

Decent list below with number of reccomenations and stuff.

Welcome to PokerStake, the best place to buy and sell poker tournament stake. PokerStake provides stakings of the best poker players, live news of poker world, and various communities for poker fans.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
                  that sounds really cheap for ajkhoosier
                  Yeh i think 450/per hour seems abit closer to correct, i cant find the video he gave the price at the end of it might of been on a live chat

Comment

Originally posted by JWillo1 View Post
                    Laois, would BigdahaggyJ for example be a good coach for a intermediate player? or would it be more suitable for the higher standard folk.
                    I am also interested in coaching and would be willing to spend a couple hundred $...
                    Yeh i think he would be perfect for an intermediate player

Comment

Well wish I could afford to pay out that sorta money. tbh going over 75-80 would be getting steep for me.

Comment

i go through this crowd- http://www.premierpokercoaching.com/

I use doubledave, he was imo the best instructor on pokerxfactor, his results stand up, he moves in same circles as moorman/ajkhoosier and even gave wsop champ p heinz coaching. Really like his teaching style.

think its 150$ an hour but most times he goes over time, i got a 25$ discount thru pxf and every 4th lesson is 1/2 price.well worth invest imo.

Comment

Originally posted by luckylucky View Post
                          Anyway he's reasonably priced and getting vouched for from more than one source, including now from a respected IPBer so I'll defo bear him in mind.
                          Yeh the $70 for first 2hrs is really good value, for me anyway. My leaks are from playing so many turbos so to talk to someone about post flop situations is what i needed most and his thought processes were really good. The fact your already playing higher mtts may mean you would want someone totally different.

Which guy is he - if a coach was super sick goot then I might go to $150 an hour, tbh it's defo going about twice over what I was thinking of spending though.
                          POKER BACKGROUND & CREDENTIALS:
                          - previously ranked #1 on Pocketfives.com
                          - member of Doyle's Room's Brunson 10
                          - one of PokerStars' all-time top MTT winners
                          - third place WCOOP Main Event 2008
                          - solid results over limited sample of PLO tournaments, including the $215's on PS/FTP, the $5k 6m SCOOP (11th place), and a couple FTOPS (3rd in the $129 KO)
                          - very confident in my heads-up game as well

Comment

Well wish I could afford to pay out that sorta money. tbh going over 75-80 would be getting steep for me.
                            you pay for what you get with a lot o these guys, imo 1 leeson with ajk/doubledave(top class proven highest stakes mtt winners + very good communicators of info @ 150>>>>>then 2 mediocre leesons at 75

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
                              you pay for what you get with a lot o these guys, imo 1 leeson with ajk/doubledave(top class proven highest stakes mtt winners + very good communicators of info @ 150>>>>>then 2 mediocre leesons at 75
                              Might well be the case and if it was 150 would consider it - however ajk's rate is 450 according to the correction made and if i had that sort of money I'd be on my yacht off Monaco and not worrying about improving my poker game

Comment

Might well be the case and if it was 150 would consider it - however ajk's rate is 450 according to the correction made and if i had that sort of money I'd be on my yacht off Monaco and not worrying about improving my poker game
                                check out dave for 150$-

Dave began playing online poker in 2006 with freeroll tournaments and worked his way up through the lower stakes. He improved quickly and before long he was branching out to other poker rooms and playing 45 man sit and gos and low-limit tournaments. In 2008 he hit his first big break by winning the Full Tilt $40k guarantee for his first five figure score of $14,616. Dave followed up this victory two weeks later with his first six figure score in FTOPS #10 for $102,000.

Dave continued putting up results and in 2009 he took fourth place in the UBOC main event for $72,000. In a two week stretch in the summer of '09;, D’Alesandro made nearly $60,000 by running deep in three different tournaments. All those winnings would pale when he took down the UBOC 4 Championship for $279,000 in January 2010. Later in the summer of 2010 Dave chopped the Sunday 500 on PokerStars for $59,000.

Dave also has a 5th place showing in the Full Tilt $1 Million Guarantee for $56,000 in September 2010. Only two months later on Sunday November 14th, he began his day by winning the $150 re-buy on Full Tilt Poker for $77,000 and then finished his night off with a 3rd place showing in the Sunday 500 on Pokerstars for another $48,000.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and just as importantly are his commication skills, lots off online sickos cant string two sentences together. this guys gotta great coaching style

Comment

What are doubledave's online screen names?

Comment

I'd recommend signing up for deucescracked and watching videos from a few different instructors to see if you like their coaching style etc before forking out for coaching.

I spent $200 an hour for cash game coaching from BalugaWhale (post Black Friday discount) Worth every penny and I definitely get more out of his videos since the coaching aswell.

Comment

What are doubledave's online screen names?
                                      doubledave22 on the two major sites

Comment

I had a hand review of a tournament I final tabled recently there earlier with SNGplayer24. He seemed to know his stuff, has some very good stats. There was nothing like mega revelatory or mind blowing to me but that's alright I wasn't expecting it. It was just a decent hour going through all the intertesting hands, more like someone to discuss some borderline hands with at times.

Anyway a few hands where I didn't take the best line but not surprisingly he said there wasn't any major flaws except around the 15 to 25 effective BB level in particular I was perhaps 3-bet shoving too much with my strong hands letting worse hands get away too easily. Something to be taken on board anyway. I'm going to have another session with him at some point. I might very well check out deucescracked also. SNGplayer24 was saying he uses another training site PokerXFactor - anyone know anything about it?
                                        Last edited by luckylucky; 18-11-11, 19:05.

Comment

SNGplayer24 was saying he uses another training site PokerXFactor - anyone know anything about it?
                                          Haven't used it myself but heard its the best mtt training site out there from reliable sources

Comment

letting worse hands get away too easily
                                            shaggyj talked about this aswel saying that what seperates the good from the great players is they keep people in with worse alot more and have more confidence taking unorthodox lines

SNGplayer24 was saying he uses another training site PokerXFactor - anyone know anything about it?
                                            Im a member on there and there is some great content, the amount i recommend it i should be on commission, theres lectures about reshoving / 3betting light /4betting etc.
                                            The icm stuff on there that eric 'sheets' haber done will never be out dated.

Also like Fergal mentioned theres videos by doubledave22 and also some good vids by ajk himself [recording himself while hes playing is great for seeing thought processes].

Theres two live hh reviews everyweek where sheets has the mic and everyone else is in a chatbox going over a members hh, i got mine done 1 week and it didnt record

this is the last couple weeks worth of videos, on the days there isnt a video theres a live review or live lecture
                                            Last edited by Laois Hammer; 18-11-11, 19:29.

Comment

Important to have a coach that can teach.
                                              All the trophies in the world don't mean they can articulate and teach concepts.
                                              As the coaches for a sample video of thier coach (the ones not working with training site.) On the training sites, find a coaches style you like and approach them.

Comment

I know he coaches so for any Irish person looking for someone who crushes both live here and online.....Jason Tompkins imo, aka blaaaaaaaah (not sure how many a's on this site, sorry Joz).
                                                My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Originally posted by doke View Post
                                                  I know he coaches so for any Irish person looking for someone who crushes both live here and online.....Jason Tompkins imo, aka blaaaaaaaah (not sure how many a's on this site, sorry Joz).
                                                  Didn't know he did coaching. Anyway be interested to hear his rates. Speaking of which the money these coaches are charging, and I'm not saying they're wrong or overcharging, but it's a tempting proposition to get into...

Comment

Didn't know he did coaching. Anyway be interested to hear his rates. Speaking of which the money these coaches are charging, and I'm not saying they're wrong or overcharging, but it's a tempting proposition to get into...
                                                    Sry guys didn't see these posts until Alan mc told me today.

@ Doke, ty for the suggestion sir much appreciated, I actually haven't been doing it since a year ago, only took on 2 ppl and found it hard to get my methods across prob due to lack of structuring. So I kinda burnt out away from it because it was gonna be too time consuming.

@ luckylucky, yeah I agree with the amounts being charged, I found it hard to charge what possibly I should have be charging. It does feel high priced but imo like was said earlier if you find the right coach that suits the way you play or would like to play then I'd defo spend the money.

My main approach to games is somewhat different to most regs, I'd be talking along the lines of only 4 tabling max just me personally so I keep track of everyone, I wouldn't be giving advice on multitabling more than that because it would be very dependant on holdem manager, which I bearly use (Kowby classes me as a purist lol) so I'd be no good to you that way.

Actually simply I'll just list what I would coach on:
                                                    Deepstack play v fish & regs
                                                    20bb stacks v fish & regs
                                                    3betting spots, I see more live than I do online but that's maybe due to higher standard online.
                                                    Setting up a table image
                                                    Overall bunch of different theory's, styles and spots.

All includes every position on the table. Normally also I would add 'id do this to for online n this for live...etc for each spots'.

I would stil charge pretty high, basically I've no big interest just slight one n will prob only do it for proper $$$ these days. Also expected is keeping what u take from the session to yourself can't be letting that type of info out for free. I would say in honesty take one of these specialist coaches before myself because I would be inexperienced. It would be like villa boas v Alex ferguson
                                                    Huh, Math my dear boy is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
                                                    My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666

Comment

Originally posted by blaaaaaaah View Post
                                                      @ luckylucky, yeah I agree with the amounts being charged, I found it hard to charge what possibly I should have be charging. It does feel high priced but imo like was said earlier if you find the right coach that suits the way you play or would like to play then I'd defo spend the money.
                                                      Yeah if it can bring tangible benefits then defo worth spending. As you say it's a matter of finding the right coach also or perhaps even coaches so you're getting more than one expert's take on things.

Also handy to review hand histories with other good players. I was on Skype there yesterday with LaoisHammer and we went over 2 trickyish hands I played. It was useful for both of us I think.

My main approach to games is somewhat different to most regs, I'd be talking along the lines of only 4 tabling max just me personally so I keep track of everyone,
                                                      I rarely play more than 3 -4 at a time these days, for the above reason and primarily coz I'm using a trackball which I hate but I got RSI so can't use the mouse easily.

I would stil charge pretty high, basically I've no big interest just slight one n will prob only do it for proper $$$ these days. Also expected is keeping what u take from the session to yourself can't be letting that type of info out for free. I would say in honesty take one of these specialist coaches before myself because I would be inexperienced. It would be like villa boas v Alex ferguson
                                                      tbh to do anything well it helps a lot if you really like what you do imo, let's put it this way and this is not addressed to you per se but as the client I'd prefer to go to a good player who was an enthusiastic and decent coach who charged moderate fees than to a very good player player who was half hearted or even a disinterested coach who was charging high fees coz it was a bit of a drag to do coaching so he wanted to get paid appropriately. Ideally of course the coach would be both an excellent player and enthusiastic coach and not charging nosebleed fees.

Anyway maybe coaching is something you'll be more interested in a bit further down the line. I have to admit I'm a bit intrigued about doing it myself but I want to tap into the knowledge of some of these coaches before l'd seriously think about going there myself.
                                                      Last edited by luckylucky; 21-11-11, 11:34.

Comment

Yeah that's cool, just so ppl know if I was taking on ppl I would not do half arsed attempt or anything you outlined, I would of course be hugely committed, do not doubt that part, but as overall setting up coaching full time I would not have any interest in. Hope I cleared that up.

Unfortunatly I can't recommend any good coaches personally mate, haven't tried any in nl only in plo.

Gl with it tho.
                                                        Huh, Math my dear boy is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

My Poker Blog http://jason-tompkins.blogspot.com
                                                        My twitter http://twitter.com/#!/blaaaaaah666

Comment

What are the payment options for poker x factor?

Comment

Direct from site:
                                                            Description Amount
                                                            $119.95 Sign-up Fee (Non-Subscribers) $119.95
                                                            $24.95 Monthly Subscription

* Starting: Today

$24.95
                                                            Total: $144.90

Comment

cool, just signed up. Bout time! looks great. Lots of different coaches and endless hours of training videos. Also easy to navigate. will report back in a few days

Comment

Neverscaredb was mentioned a while back in the thread, didnt know he did coaching till now. Hes ben willinofsky who shipped berlin this yr and was hugely impressive in that tourney, also a huge online mttr, worth lookin at barry for sure.

Also does anyone use deucescracked much? Who are the best mtt coaches on it to look out for? So far ive found the cash vids to be pretty good, some of those 2 months/2 million boys are on it but its pretty much all nl cash. The only mttr ive found useful on it is vanessa selsbt, ill keep surfin around but if ppl know it'd be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmc101 View Post
                                                                  Neverscaredb was mentioned a while back in the thread, didnt know he did coaching till now. Hes ben willinofsky who shipped berlin this yr and was hugely impressive in that tourney, also a huge online mttr, worth lookin at barry for sure.

Also does anyone use deucescracked much? Who are the best mtt coaches on it to look out for? So far ive found the cash vids to be pretty good, some of those 2 months/2 million boys are on it but its pretty much all nl cash. The only mttr ive found useful on it is vanessa selsbt, ill keep surfin around but if ppl know it'd be helpful.
                                                                  NeverScaredb's coaching profile: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/18...aching-940223/

DC's doesn't have the best mtt content imo, although i think IWEARGOGGLES' stuff is quite good imo and then daaaaaaang16 for micros mtt players.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                                                                    cool, just signed up. Bout time! looks great. Lots of different coaches and endless hours of training videos. Also easy to navigate. will report back in a few days
                                                                    Any feedback on that site Downtown?

Comment

just wondering when people do coaching sessions, what's involved? is it sending the coach a tournament HH and having them pick out flaws that can be improved? is it generally talking about the game and analyzing situations? generally, do most coaches take charge and teach you, or is it usually a case of student asking questions and teacher answering? I know all coaches are different, but I've never done coaching before so would be interested to hear different processes.
                                                                      also, is it all done through skype?
                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                        just wondering when people do coaching sessions, what's involved? is it sending the coach a tournament HH and having them pick out flaws that can be improved? is it generally talking about the game and analyzing situations? generally, do most coaches take charge and teach you, or is it usually a case of student asking questions and teacher answering? I know all coaches are different, but I've never done coaching before so would be interested to hear different processes.
                                                                        also, is it all done through skype?
                                                                        i went through a combo of skype voice chat and teamviewer, so way we did it was he'd load up a recent hh i sent his way in universal replayer..obv one you go deep in is better+ with some interesting spots.

and he'd just play thru hands and chat about diff lines i couldve taken, a real good idea if your thinking of lessons is to save all tough spots/situs where your stuck in pokerhand.org and send them onto coach for review, so you get straight to it rather than goin thru all standards spots in a hh..

but ya just let em rabble on and interject when your got questions or get them onto topics you wanna discuss more indepth

might take a couple of leesons to get both of ye into right groove but if you have a good coach he'll spot where your going wrong in no time and focus on those areas
                                                                        Last edited by Midnitekowby; 19-01-12, 20:40.

Comment

Working...
                                                                        X