Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-08-12, 08:54   #1
kincsem
Member
 
kincsem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,196
All-in with no cards

This happened at the Fitzwilliam end of month tournament last night.

I had 1100. I was big blind next (500/1000 ante 100) so before the hand was dealt the dealer told me I was all-in and had exactly enough for the ante and big blind. So I stood up and put on my jacket as he dealt. I looked down and saw that he had not dealt any cards to me. Before the other players acted I asked the dealer where were my cards. He said he hadn't dealt to me as I had stood up. Joe O'Donnell who was UTG said if action had taken place I would be playing the board. When the hand was re-dealt I won the hand.

Could I have been eliminated without getting a hand dealt?
kincsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 09:46   #2
Morihei
Member
 
Morihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stendec
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincsem View Post
This happened at the Fitzwilliam end of month tournament last night.

I had 1100. I was big blind next (500/1000 ante 100) so before the hand was dealt the dealer told me I was all-in and had exactly enough for the ante and big blind. So I stood up and put on my jacket as he dealt. I looked down and saw that he had not dealt any cards to me. Before the other players acted I asked the dealer where were my cards. He said he hadn't dealt to me as I had stood up.
What he probably meant was he had mistakenly dealt you out as he'd seen an empty seat.

Quote:
Joe O'Donnell who was UTG said if action had taken place I would be playing the board... Could I have been eliminated without getting a hand dealt?
I can't believe this would ever be the case when a player has received no cards. Surely any action would be cancelled and the hand redealt?
Morihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 10:16   #3
peterswellman
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,068
I always thought the rule was to deal all players in regardless if they are at the table or not and THEN muck their hand. It's not a cash game. Pretty sure I'd kick up a big fuss. Poor dealing too by the way.
peterswellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 10:34   #4
Morihei
Member
 
Morihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stendec
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterswellman View Post
I always thought the rule was to deal all players in regardless if they are at the table or not and THEN muck their hand.
Correct, and I'm sure this dealer is aware of this. In this instance I believe he simply skipped a seat which has no player, a not too uncommon mistake compounded by the fact that this empty seat had no stack (his chips were in the middle.)

The important question asked by OP is could he be eliminated without being dealt a card. I don't believe he would; as soon as the dealer is (made) aware of his mistake, any action(s) would be returned to the player(s) and the hand redealt.
Morihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 10:42   #5
Zod
Member
 
Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,756
call the TD, if hand was not reset turn the table over. Simples.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 31-08-12, 16:07   #6
kincsem
Member
 
kincsem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morihei View Post
What he probably meant was he had mistakenly dealt you out as he'd seen an empty seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morihei View Post
Correct, and I'm sure this dealer is aware of this. In this instance I believe he simply skipped a seat which has no player, a not too uncommon mistake compounded by the fact that this empty seat had no stack (his chips were in the middle.)
Thanks for the replies guys.
On the all-in I was standing at my seat so think he did not see an empty seat. My 1000 chip was in front of me just over the line. I looked down to see two cards to my left and two cards to my right just as the dealer was putting out the last few cards.

This was the fourth misfire imo by that dealer last night.
(1) He called a string bet on me when I dropped 600 on the table, four chips hit followed by the other two an inch or so later. He said he would let it go this time. I disagreed.
(2) He dealt a flop. Check, check, I bet 1200. Call. While we were waiting for the other player (B) to act but the dealer dealt the turn. Floor called.
(3) Player (B) called a 1475 bet putting out 1500. Dealer didn't give change. Had to be asked.
(4) Then the no cards all-in situation.

Maybe he dealer was having a bad night.
kincsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 17:21   #7
curleywurley
Member
 
curleywurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On The River
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincsem View Post

This was the fourth misfire imo by that dealer last night.
(1) He called a string bet on me when I dropped 600 on the table, four chips hit followed by the other two an inch or so later. He said he would let it go this time. I disagreed.
(2) He dealt a flop. Check, check, I bet 1200. Call. While we were waiting for the other player (B) to act but the dealer dealt the turn. Floor called.
(3) Player (B) called a 1475 bet putting out 1500. Dealer didn't give change. Had to be asked.
(4) Then the no cards all-in situation.

Maybe he dealer was having a bad night.
How long was he dealing that night?
Are these the only mistakes he made?
curleywurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 17:53   #8
kincsem
Member
 
kincsem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by curleywurley View Post
How long was he dealing that night?
Are these the only mistakes he made?
I don't know how long he was dealing. For the last few years I play more festival events so am used to 30 minute dealer changes. Last night I was on three tables and he dealt on the 2nd and 3rd table for long sessions.
They were the only mistakes I noticed, but those were only hands I was in. Of more concern was he blamed the player each time e.g. when he dealt the turn without letting the player act on the flop he said the player was hiding his cards. The player was opposite the dealer. I could see the cards and I was in seat seven.
This is only my version of it.
kincsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 18:35   #9
smoothcall
Member
Asteroids Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,167
Hang on. Ill get Nicky...
smoothcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 19:17   #10
DAMO72
Poker Face ringtone
 
DAMO72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,345
P45
DAMO72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 19:41   #11
Morihei
Member
 
Morihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stendec
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by kincsem View Post
On the all-in I was standing at my seat so think he did not see an empty seat.
Did you not say something when you didn't receive your first card? What is your suggestion as to why he dealt you out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincsem View Post
Could I have been eliminated without getting a hand dealt?
Who knows? Who cares? You obviously don't. Looks to me like a rant about bad dealing. Nothing wrong with that though.
Morihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 20:05   #12
Sickpuppy
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,142
If your all in or not should be at the table.

The dealer obv made a mistake and seems a bit clueless to be honest
If it was a case that you dont get cards if standing he should have informed you.


If i was playing and dealer was constantly making mistakes id want him removed from my table, id not make a fuss but would have quiet chat with whoever was in charge of the floor.
Sickpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46.