Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-05-12, 11:44   #1
HoneyMonster
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 207
Is my hand live?

In a pot with one other player, he bets flop and turn and i call both times. I have bottom pair and a gutshot, no improvement on river, he checks and i throw my cards in face up saying something like 'Nah,you have me", i certainly didnt say 'fold' though my action would indicate that i was conceding the hand. He shows an over pair and is taking in the pot when i realise i have actually two pair. Pot is awarded to me and he's not happy, is this correct?
HoneyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 11:44   #2
mdoug
Member
 
mdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMonster View Post
In a pot with one other player, he bets flop and turn and i call both times. I have bottom pair and a gutshot, no improvement on river, he checks and i throw my cards in face up saying something like 'Nah,you have me", i certainly didnt say 'fold' though my action would indicate that i was conceding the hand. He shows an over pair and is taking in the pot when i realise i have actually two pair. Pot is awarded to me and he's not happy, is this correct?
Yup 100%
__________________
Go big or go homeless.
mdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 11:51   #3
tylerdurden94
Ad-Min-Is-Trator Yo!
 
tylerdurden94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dillon - Texas
Posts: 21,234
100% live start stacking those chips.
__________________
"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)
tylerdurden94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 11:56   #4
sickhabbit
Member
 
sickhabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: [ ] Wears the pants
Posts: 465
Yeah, it's fine, you did nothing wrong. If fact it's good that you turned them face up. Lots of people just muck there. Better to let the dealer sort it out. NH
sickhabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 12:20   #5
foley
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 96
live all day long
foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 12:27   #6
tenbob
Member
 
tenbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 54
He is trying to angle you. Your cards are live once they are tabled.
tenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 12:51   #7
Mellor
Member
 
Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 9,966
Face up after all action is live.
Cards speak so you have two pair regardless of what you announced.
__________________

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 12:59   #8
westlife
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMonster View Post
In a pot with one other player, he bets flop and turn and i call both times. I have bottom pair and a gutshot, no improvement on river, he checks and i throw my cards in face up saying something like 'Nah,you have me", i certainly didnt say 'fold' though my action would indicate that i was conceding the hand. He shows an over pair and is taking in the pot when i realise i have actually two pair. Pot is awarded to me and he's not happy, is this correct?
He should be happy that you missed your 2 pair and he did not have to call a massive bet on the river with his overpair!
westlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 15:10   #9
ONE TIME
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 275
He should smile say nice hand wp sir knowing he will eventually get all your chips
because you cant fold bottom pair and then not even realize you rivered 2 pair
the ruling is correct
ONE TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 16:39   #10
tglynn
Member
 
tglynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE TIME View Post
He should smile say nice hand wp sir knowing he will eventually get all your chips
because you cant fold bottom pair and then not even realize you rivered 2 pair
the ruling is correct
tad harsh?
__________________
tglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 17:19   #11
mdoug
Member
 
mdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE TIME View Post
He should smile say nice hand wp sir knowing he will eventually get all your chips
because you cant fold bottom pair and then not even realize you rivered 2 pair
the ruling is correct
Are you the guy with the overpair? If so, HAHAHAHAHAHA
__________________
Go big or go homeless.
mdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 15-05-12, 10:44   #12
HoneyMonster
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE TIME View Post
He should smile say nice hand wp sir knowing he will eventually get all your chips
because you cant fold bottom pair and then not even realize you rivered 2 pair
the ruling is correct
No arguments form me here , disgusted with myself. Went on to win the thing anyway. Thanks for the replies lads, one more, if i had said fold and table cards face up, they still live?
HoneyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12, 10:45   #13
mcnugget
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,003
No if you say fold then they are dead.
mcnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12, 11:18   #14
GlennDoyle
Member
 
GlennDoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Blanchardstown
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnugget View Post
No if you say fold then they are dead.
If there is no action left on showdown and he says fold and tables the cards face up I was lead to believe they are live as the cards speak, would I be right?
GlennDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12, 11:37   #15
tylerdurden94
Ad-Min-Is-Trator Yo!
 
tylerdurden94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dillon - Texas
Posts: 21,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMonster View Post
No arguments form me here , disgusted with myself. Went on to win the thing anyway. Thanks for the replies lads, one more, if i had said fold and table cards face up, they still live?
A case could be made that if your hand has not touched the muck and are identifiable, depends on if the dealer is on their game and as soon as you say "fold" they bring the cards into the muck, I got caught once when I made a call (had misread my hand) and the player says 9 high and slides his cards into the middle I turn my hand over but only had 6 high he retrieves his cards and was awarded the pot, since then if a player is reluctant to turn over their hand and motion to muck I will ask the dealer to kill that players hand if they haven't already.

I do believe though that if a player announces fold then that is that.
__________________
"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)
tylerdurden94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12, 11:58   #16
Mellor
Member
 
Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 9,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyler92 View Post
If there is no action left on showdown and he says fold and tables the cards face up I was lead to believe they are live as the cards speak, would I be right?
Nope, your wrong.
Cards speak means that if you announce the wrong hand, your actual hand is what counts.
When he says fold. His hand is dead regardless of the fact its then turned face up or facedown. The other player hasn't shown his hand at this point btw.
__________________

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-05-12, 13:11   #17
GlennDoyle
Member
 
GlennDoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Blanchardstown
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Nope, your wrong.
Cards speak means that if you announce the wrong hand, your actual hand is what counts.
When he says fold. His hand is dead regardless of the fact its then turned face up or facedown. The other player hasn't shown his hand at this point btw.
Now I see. Thanks for clearing that up Mellor.
GlennDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 15-05-12, 18:15   #18
HoneyMonster
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
Nope, your wrong.
Cards speak means that if you announce the wrong hand, your actual hand is what counts.
When he says fold. His hand is dead regardless of the fact its then turned face up or facedown. The other player hasn't shown his hand at this point btw.
In my case actually he has shown his hand.
HoneyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12, 23:42   #19
Mellor
Member
 
Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 9,966
I was answering your question about IF you said fold. Makes no difference if he shows in that case. When you say fold he's the last player left, if he then flips a worse hand it makes no difference.
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Rules and Rulings

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10.