A few quick questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few quick questions

Doesn't really warrant a new thread but I haven't been playing much live poker in the last few years, and I'm just curious about a few situations.

All three are live cash

1. I river nuts on a four to a straight board, bet, and the player at the other end of the table takes an age, when I look back he has chips over the line and I turn over and declare my hand not realising he's raised. I'm able to call but not raise.

Is there a venue or situation where my hand could be dead for turning it over?

2. I call an all-in with Q-high no pair no draw on the turn, the river is an off-suit king. Neither of us have turned over our hands. He says "you must have won" I try to protest that I may not have, but the dealer insta-mucks his hand. And I win as I'm the last one with cards. Is that the general rule?

3. Facing a bet I drop a single chip in that I was playing with in my hand by mistake. Would any Nazi dealer ever insist that's a call?

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Doesn't really warrant a new thread but I haven't been playing much live poker in the last few years, and I'm just curious about a few situations.

All three are live cash

1. I river nuts on a four to a straight board, bet, and the player at the other end of the table takes an age, when I look back he has chips over the line and I turn over and declare my hand not realising he's raised. I'm able to call but not raise.

Is there a venue or situation where my hand could be dead for turning it over?

Probably, with an explanation of "house rules". But it would be a venue that I wouldn't return to.

2. I call an all-in with Q-high no pair no draw on the turn, the river is an off-suit king. Neither of us have turned over our hands. He says "you must have won" I try to protest that I may not have, but the dealer insta-mucks his hand. And I win as I'm the last one with cards. Is that the general rule?

Correct ruling. He allowed his hand to be taken, dealer acted correctly. Stack your chips.

3. Facing a bet I drop a single chip in that I was playing with in my hand by mistake. Would any Nazi dealer ever insist that's a call?
    Again, probably. I can think of at least one that I know that would. Just call floor and explain.

Comment

Seen the last one numerous times. Never been deemed a call.

Comment

1) Probably somewhere yes. Some places in Dublin are still using rules that are thirty years out of date, and some have their own home grown rules that a previous manager applied despite knowing nothing about poker. If they follow TDA rules then no.

2) Yes, last man standing with a live hand wins the pot. It seems strange for the dealer to muck his cards without his active involvement. What did he do with his cards?

3) I've seen this happen. If it happened to me I would call the floor, its unlikely two people would make such a bad ruling.

Comment

Dealer didn't do anything wrong. He threw his cards over the line, and the dealer instantly pulled them into the muck as I was trying to protest!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Dealer didn't do anything wrong. He threw his cards over the line, and the dealer instantly pulled them into the muck as I was trying to protest!
            Yep, good dealing. Sounds like you were ahead anyway.

Comment

1. I'm sure there's a venue somewhere that would declare it dead. Especially if it was a "local" cardroom and the villain was a "local" regular.

2. 100% Your pot at this stage. By pushing hand over the line, he has forfeited the hand. You were likely ahead as he probably would have had a stab with A-high

3. Again, not impossible that a chip Nazi would try to enforce that. Easy decision for floor to reverse.

Comment

on 2, pushing the hand face down doesn't kill it, the dealer mucking it does

TDA rule 14

14: Live Cards at Showdown
                Discarding non-tabled cards face down does not automatically kill them; a player may change his mind
                and table his cards if they remain 100% identifiable. Cards are killed by the dealer when pushed into
                the muck.

I've seen this come up a few times recently.

Comment

Cliffs on the Q high hero call?

Comment

Working...
                  X