Dug myself a hole in this one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dug myself a hole in this one...

So I'm playing a tournament recently, and raised light in 200/400/25 blinds with 5 7.

Can I have some feedback on how I played it please?

So, as I say, I have 5 7. I raise from the cut off to 1,500. Button three bets me to 3,500. I flat call to see a flop. I appreciate I should probably have folded OOP so that's a given.

My stack pre-hand was c. 38,000. Villain was about the same, maybe slightly less.

Flop comes out A 8 9

I check as I wasn't the last aggressor. Was this correct? Button checks back.

Turn 7 I sensed a little weakness so I bet out 4,500. He tank calls.

River 10 I feel I need to bet here otherwise I can't win the pot, so I lead out 6,500. He tank shoves on me.

Obviously I have to fold.

Thoughts? Sucked in by a biggish flop

Why so much pre-flop?

What was buttons stack size?

Edit - I see he has same
    Last edited by Dice75; 11-02-13, 13:31.

Comment

Originally posted by *PocketRockets* View Post
      So I'm playing a tournament recently, and raised light in 200/400/25 blinds with 5 7.

Can I have some feedback on how I played it please?

So, as I say, I have 5 7. I raise from the cut off to 1,500. Button three bets me to 3,500. I flat call to see a flop. I appreciate I should probably have folded OOP so that's a given.

My stack pre-hand was c. 38,000. Villain was about the same, maybe slightly less.

Flop comes out A 8 9

I check as I wasn't the last aggressor. Was this correct? Button checks back.

Turn 7 I sensed a little weakness so I bet out 4,500. He tank calls.

River 10 I feel I need to bet here otherwise I can't win the pot, so I lead out 6,500. He tank shoves on me.

Obviously I have to fold.

Thoughts? Sucked in by a biggish flop

I am certainly no expert, but dont think I would have raised as much as you did, would have just made it 1k
      Button three bets me to 3,500. , deffo would have folded there!

Thats all really.
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Your sizing is all over the place in a really bad way.

Preflop is way too big. If you raise less blind stealing is more profitable.

I'd call his 3bet since he basically min raised you.

On the turn you need to decide what you want to do, and this is a two street game now, not one. An easy way to play it is to just check call, since you have some showdown value and a lot of outs if behind. You might get a bluff out of KQ, KJ etc. If you bet one street your opponent will call you with any hand that beats you, the only way to get a good hand here is to bet, and then bet pretty big again on the river.

What you actually did was bet tiny on the turn, and then tiny on the river again with a hand that will never be good when called.

Comment

Im curious as to what is your plan should he c bet a flop maybe a 4.5k cbet.
          Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I'd certainly have check raised the flop.

Ok so my preflop raise is too big, and my follow up bets too small. Noted, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by *PocketRockets* View Post
              I'd certainly have check raised the flop.

Ok so my preflop raise is too big, and my follow up bets too small. Noted, thank you.
              Check raise flop?

So if he makes it 4k you make it 15k? Do you fold then if he shoves? or call it off with a a flush draw? if you do check raise and he calls, what is your plan on the turn?

Comment

Im folding pre obv, but if i was inclined to make this play it has to be min raise- 2.2x and fold to the raise unless theres history
                airport, lol

Comment

Making it like 1k max anything above is unnecessary, I know your not looking for advice on preflop but I am folding to the 3 bet, if you raise smaller his 3 bet will be more than likely smaller, so calling pre then when you're that little bit deeper would not be so bad.

Post flop I definitely c/c flop(if he bet) on turn I c/c(if he bet) and river c/f if he bets, I guess you could get him to fold the river if you lead but given the size of the bet, against a poor player I.can imagine you were looked up quite light maybe QQ or KK and any ace.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-02-13, 15:42. Reason: As Dice pointed out, I'm not sure exactly what makes a straight!!

Comment

Your probably best of just turning the 6 of spades, this seems to work quite well.
                    "true friends stab you in the front"

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                      Making it like 1k max anything above is unnecessary, I know your not looking for advice on preflop but I am folding to the 3 bet, if you raise smaller his 3 bet will be more than likely smaller, so calling pre then when you're that little bit deeper would not be so bad.

Post flop I definitely c/c flop(if he bet) on turn I c/c(if he bet) and river c/f if he bets, I guess you could get him to fold the river if you lead but given the size of the bet, against a poor player I.can imagine you were looked up quite light maybe JJ-KK and any ace.
                      2nd nuts with blockers not too light, no matter how bad a nit someone is!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                        2nd nuts with blockers not too light, no matter how bad a nit someone is!
                        Haha thought the river was a something totally different, I.still stand by what I said hes likely to get looked up by JJ

Comment

Yeah, 1k preflop raise is perfect, especially with stack sizes. Anyone 4bet pre? Could be a good spot depending on villian.

I'm never raising that big so I'm never in this spot but putting 8.75 blinds in to see a flop seems spewey to me.
                          Last edited by gorrrr72; 11-02-13, 15:31.

Comment

Working...
                          X