Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    The funeral discussions here are a bit morbid, but I guess make sense. All sounds very Black Death / The Plague in feel.
    Kinda sad that not even funeral directors can make a killing out of a plague.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
      Kinda sad that not even funeral directors can make a killing out of a plague.
      Intuitively I thought that they might suggest cremation over burial.

Perhaps there is little to no difference in the chance of spreading the virus though.

Comment

Looks like the panic buying has started in my local supermarkets. Mostly jax roll and tissue shelves that are empty. Bizarre priorities that some people have.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Yeah, was thinking that too. I guess most people are cremated now anyway?
            Perhaps if you looked at all first world countries but I'd be quite surprised if Ireland is not still firmly in the burial category.

I've been to more burials than cremations in recent years, I'd guess trending to the latter though.

Comment

Social distancing is the only way to stop the coronavirus. We must start immediately.

I am still in absolute shock Cheltenham has gone ahead tbh, only logical explanation is that RAF is planning to nuke the place, utterly reckless decision

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ything/607675/

I am still in absolute shock Cheltenham has gone ahead tbh, only logical explanation is that RAF is planning to nuke the place, utterly reckless decision
                Why are you singling out horse racing? Serious question.
                I mean, I understand that crowds are a bad idea.
                But I’d imagine that attendance at football games us maybe 400k each week in the UK, or about double Cheltenham.

Although seems kinda trivial compared to the 25million passengers riding on the tube each week.

Comment

Comment

Our school is now shut down for the foreseeable future as a preventative measure. Everything online. There we go, thats the way to get things done.
                    China did the same straight away had teaching online. No point pretending we are capable of that
                    airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Our school is now shut down for the foreseeable future as a preventative measure. Everything online. There we go, thats the way to get things done.
                        All Trinity lectures are going online only from tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                          But I’d imagine that attendance at football games us maybe 400k each week in the UK, or about double Cheltenham.

Although seems kinda trivial compared to the 25million passengers riding on the tube each week.
                          There's cases in Cheltenham. Seems madness to have a bunch of people fly over there for days and then back here.

Comment

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ything/607675/

Leaving aside the focus on horse racing, the article itself articulates the general situation and necessary response well.
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Hitch, go for the mechanical valve.

Nothing to do with medical advice or quality of life, I'm just thinking ahead for when you might need more operations, knees, hips, etc, get them mechanical as well and you can be a future Robocop type figure. It'd be class.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                There's cases in Cheltenham. Seems madness to have a bunch of people fly over there for days and then back here.
                                there's a lot more cases in London, yet we're still taking the tube every day.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                  there's a lot more cases in London, yet we're still taking the tube every day.
                                  I've no concerns about London

Comment

Oh I think football matches etc should be cancelled too
                                    But Cheltenham has so much cash handling with the bookies , it’s notoriously packed throughout the course and at the best of times I would say hygiene levels are pretty much at crusty levels.
                                    It’s also concerning given about 10000 irish people are over

Comment

Just had 2 lads over to the house for an issue, glance and smirk exchanged at my refusal to shake their hands

Comment

This is what’s on the way
                                        Thread by @jasonvanschoor: From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy: 1/ ‘I feel thegive you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about w…

Comment

It's not that difficult tbh. Loads of off-the-shelf packages. E.g. we're using classilio that provides a ready made virtual classroom setting. Plug-and-play. Teacher teaches from their home and students learn from their homes.
                                          Course is not but it Still won't happen here. Would take us 18 months to get it up and running Nationwide
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Comment

Book of Mormon presale tickets available, just snagged four great seats on a Thursday night in December. Let's hope the world is back to normal by then! I'm writing off the next two months or so anyhow; also can't believe Chelt wasn't cancelled, got an uncle over there at present, who will be back at a family dinner with my parents next week. You can see how quickly anything could spread...

Comment

I would say the way to get it up and running quickly would be to hand it over to a uni to handle. E.g. Trinity has just essentially overnight moved all teaching to online, but thats because they have the expertise in distance learning etc.
                                                  As an institution maybe but 95% of people due to deliver lectures online tomorrow are swearing at their computers right now.

Comment

Where possible, I simply can't understand how every country is not following the model of South Korea.

7515 confirmed cases, 54 deaths with over 250k people tested, early diagnosis and intervention proving to be the key. Testing 10,000 people a day on average with a capacity to test 15,000.

The reports suggesting that the virus has now peaked and economic growth forecast for the year cut from 2.1% to 1.9% demonstrating an ability to manage the virus with limited disruption.

Comment

Comment

Exactly, they learned from the best!

I've shared these before but I love the Vox Atlas vids:

And why the disease first appeared in China.NOTE: As our expert Peter Li points out in the video, “The majority of the people in China do not eat wildlife an...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                            Book of Mormon presale tickets available, just snagged four great seats on a Thursday night in December. Let's hope the world is back to normal by then! I'm writing off the next two months or so anyhow; also can't believe Chelt wasn't cancelled, got an uncle over there at present, who will be back at a family dinner with my parents next week. You can see how quickly anything could spread...
                                                            What kind price range are they? Not much detail online

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                              It's a fantastic show.

SXSW was cancelled and just got confirmation that the Austin MotoGP has been postponed until november. I had a hall pass from the missus so now need to find something else to do instead

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                What kind price range are they? Not much detail online
                                                                45ish-70ish with fees.

Great show. I did the lottery in london for front row seats for £20, my god the main character sweats. He is definitely a superspreader.

Comment

Oh I think football matches etc should be cancelled too
                                                                  But Cheltenham has so much cash handling with the bookies , it’s notoriously packed throughout the course and at the best of times I would say hygiene levels are pretty much at crusty levels.
                                                                  It’s also concerning given about 10000 irish people are over
                                                                  I fully get that it’s an ideal environment for spread of the virus. I’m certainly not suggesting “ah it’s grand”. I just don’t get why Cheltenham is singled out over the bigger risks that happen on a daily basis. They should all be stopped.
                                                                  25 Cheltenham’s worth of people travel on the tube everyday. Obviously they aren’t throwing 20’s at each other. They are standing on top of each other, touching the same hand holds, I’ve no faith in anyone’s personal hygiene.
                                                                  Last edited by Mellor; 10-03-20, 19:13.

Comment

I fully that it’s an ideal environment for spread of the virus. I’m certainly not suggesting “ah it’s grand”. I just don’t get why Cheltenham is singled out over the bigger risks that happen on a daily basis.
                                                                    25 Cheltenham’s worth of people travel on the tube everyday. Obviously they aren’t throwing 20’s at each other. They are standing on top of each other, touching the same hand holds, I’ve no faith in anyone’s personal hygiene.
                                                                    He only sees it from an Irish perspective (same as dc pointed out earlier). Couldn't give a shit about the UK, as long as they don't infect Ireland

Comment

Looks like the panic buying has started in my local supermarkets. Mostly jax roll and tissue shelves that are empty. Bizarre priorities that some people have.
                                                                      Over in Malta, Lidl seems to be getting cleaned out, but none of the other big chain supermarkets are. Malta imports about 25% of its shit from Italy, so that could become a problem soon.

It's not quite panic stations here yet, but they have cancelled 2 big poker tournaments coming up in the next month, and also a 2 day igaming conference that was due to happen on March 24th. That included a 100 player invitation poker tournament hosted by Molly Bloom that i had a seat in, so that's a bit disappionting!

They put thermal cameras in the airports and ferry terminals and everyone is scanned, with anyone showing signs of a high temperature being sent for further checking. I'm booked to come back to Ireland for a week at Easter so hoping things aren't too bad at that stage!!

Edit - Irish Open postponed too

UPDATED COVID-19 PRESS RELEASE – 11TH March 2020

We, at the Irish Poker Open, have been closely monitoring the developing situation in relation to the Covid-19 virus worldwide. Up to now, we have been working tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that all guidelines issued by the World Health Organisation and the Irish Health Service Executive, for the provision of large events, were being implemented for Irish Open 2020.

The situation in relation to Covid-19 is evolving on a daily basis. We have to ensure that the safety and well being of our players and staff is our utmost priority and it is with a heavy heart that we have decided to postpone the event.

We are now in discussions with the Citywest Hotel to secure an alternative date for the Irish Open Festival later in the year. All current Irish Open 2020 qualifiers will have their current satellite seat redirected to the new date later this year or to Irish Open 2021. Further information on this will be made available as soon as possible.

We hope that all players and staff remain safe in these trying times.

Kind regards,

The Irish Open Team
                                                                      Last edited by Flushdraw; 10-03-20, 19:19.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                        He only sees it from an Irish perspective (same as dc pointed out earlier). Couldn't give a shit about the UK, as long as they don't infect Ireland
                                                                        Fair enough, but the chances they infect Ireland likely increases proportional with the number of active cases they have. Even if there are relatively few Irish taking the tube directly. If it causes their cases to double in a week, our adjacent risk doubles.

Comment

Comment

Strange that the Irish Open is cancelled but nothing said about The Norwegian festival.

They were posting updates about satelites as recently as this morning.

Both events run into each other date wise, are being held in the same venue and are staffed by the same people.

Seems as though this decision was very sudden and treating the two events as separate entities in this way is odd.

Very sad for everyone this had to be done but correct decision imo.
                                                                            Last edited by DeeBrown; 10-03-20, 20:51.

Comment

The boom is bust.

We sell B2B, yesterday one of our customers told us he had two orders cancelled. His customer citing fears they might lose their jobs.

This is bad.
                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

UK Health Minister Nadine Dorries tests positive for Covid19.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                  UK Health Minister Nadine Dorries tests positive for Covid19.
                                                                                  Fecking cheat , she should be stripped of her medals

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                      Strange that the Irish Open is cancelled but nothing said about The Norwegian festival.
                                                                                      The Norwegian festival is also postponed.

Comment

Image Screen-Shot-2020-03-10-at-8-57-51-PM hosted in ImgBB

What was that spike about?

Been holding out a bit to buy Boeing shares, but have dipped into Morgan Stanley shares at a discount.
                                                                                        Last edited by Theresa; 11-03-20, 03:02.
                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

People coming back from Cheltenham need to be given armbands at the airport so they can be shunned

Comment

People coming back from Cheltenham need to be given armbands at the airport so they can be shunned
                                                                                            Is this position motivated by animal rights concerns? Really can't understand why this particular group is bothering you so.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                              Dublin Airport eerily quiet this morning. Looks at least like a 40% drop in outbound passengers.
                                                                                              Dont think itsnear that last couple of days. Spent the day up at Pier 1 and ryanair seemed to be almost business as ususal. Would expect more of a drop over in T2 with more business travellers probably making the correct cautious decision.

Good few flights cancelled from Friday I am told though
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                Dont think itsnear that last couple of days. Spent the day up at Pier 1 and ryanair seemed to be almost business as ususal. Would expect more of a drop over in T2 with more business travellers probably making the correct cautious decision.

Good few flights cancelled from Friday I am told though
                                                                                                Typical Ryanair sticking the knife in once again.

We decided to book Aer Lingus for our Lombardy trip in April after she had 2 trips to Italy cancelled by Ryanair last year at the last minute.

We are due to fly out on April 4th and back on the 8th, we're not going either way but Aer Lingus cancelled flights until only April 3rd while Ryanair cancelled till the 8th.

I expect Aer Lingus to extend it but for right now had we booked Ryanair we'd be guaranteed the money back, standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                  Typical Ryanair sticking the knife in once again.

We decided to book Aer Lingus for our Lombardy trip in April after she had 2 trips to Italy cancelled by Ryanair last year at the last minute.

We are due to fly out on April 4th and back on the 8th, we're not going either way but Aer Lingus cancelled flights until only April 3rd while Ryanair cancelled till the 8th.

I expect Aer Lingus to extend it but for right now had we booked Ryanair we'd be guaranteed the money back, standard.
                                                                                                  One thing ryanair have always done right is mass cancellation, Aer Lingus always act slower and lead everyone on i.e in adverse weather. Ryanair just call it, refund everyone
                                                                                                  Last edited by eamonhonda; 11-03-20, 09:34.
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Due to go to SF on the 31st and still have no idea if I'll be going.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                      Read that as Sinn Fein initially

Comment

Read that as Sinn Fein initially
                                                                                                        One impact this thing is definitely happening is speeding up the government talks.

SF probably thanking their lucky stars they aren't in power.
                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Meant to do a marathon in Manchester on the 5th April and it's still not cancelled. Between storms affecting training and now this motivation is lacking
                                                                                                          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Kinda mad that all 3 us presidential candidates are in the highest risk cohort, sanders had a bypass right? And Biden appears to be in early stages of dementia

Comment

Prob sound like a terrible cunt but you cant hide what you are, incase anyone is bored

Comment

I have a friend getting married here next month and she's very panicked at the possibility of the wedding being cancelled. I don't think so but who knows.

We're going to NYC in October and if the US fails to get it under control over the next few months I'm fearful that Trump will have banned all travel to the US for quite a while longer than necessary, possibly in the lead up to the election.

I think you'll be fine to go though.

Comment

Is this position motivated by animal rights concerns? Really can't understand why this particular group is bothering you so.
                                                                                                                  Because it’s utterly selfish and greedy behavior (from the punters and organisers respectively)
                                                                                                                  4 days of people from all over, crammed like sardines into the stands, major handling of cash, all night card games, whores , lack of basic hygiene
                                                                                                                  I’m not the only one saying it, it was an objectively terrible decision for it to go ahead and if there’s an outbreak of cases related to it one that won’t be forgotten.

Also some of the more simple racing journos trying to sell the decision to go ahead as some type of churchillian “keep calm and carry on” triumph of the human spirit is a joke.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 11-03-20, 10:24.

Comment

Anyway that’s enough from me on chelts, let’s let history judge them

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post

Prob sound like a terrible cunt but you cant hide what you are, incase anyone is bored
                                                                                                                        I listened to the first 10 mins and the final 20-25 mins when you discussed the meditation side of things.
                                                                                                                        I wasnt aware you spent so much time in West Cork.
                                                                                                                        I've been keeping my ear to the ground for you on the frog licking down here too.

FWIW, I thought you came across really well, imo you should be very happy with it.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X