The Gambler - John O'Shea Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    What's the name of the ambient music they were using in the background during it? Kinda sounds like Brian Eno. Been looking for the name of that piece for ages but haven't came across it.
    Some of it was from Clint Mansell's soundtrack for the film Moon, the rest I'd like to know myself - it did sound familiar though.

2min40sec in:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Samson; 06-04-13, 13:04.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
      Dont have setanta, have a slightly dubious form of satellite tv which doesn't have the channel so if anyone does get a link, I'd appreciate a pm
      +1
      airport, lol

Comment

+1 ^
        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

was some of the music from Warrior? It was really familiar and I seem to remember it being from a scene from a movie in Vegas too.

Good documentary in fairness. I listened to the newstalk interview, and I do like the way there was no moral standpoint on gambling from the makers. They worked in the fact John had a job, a degree, has his house and car paid off etc too so there's enough arguments on both sides for non-gamblers to draw a conclusion as to whether he's a 'problem gambler'. I think people who have the view already won't be swayed by the doc, but people with a genuinely open mind would've gotten a better idea what that world is like.
          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Good documentary.

For everyone who missed it Icarus has told me a way to see it online. He's not online at the moment but if you pm him he will get back to everybody individually
            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              And he talks loads about bankroll management during the film
              and displays none...
              Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Wat?

You did watch the kitchen home made coleslaw scene didn't you. Obv its a bit staged for the cameras, people have planned what they are going to say and not say and John is controlling the tone of the whole thing but I thought you got a good sense of how everyone felt without it ever being in any danger of slipping into Jeremy Kyle territory.
                And he talks loads about bankroll management during the film
                Didn't realise my English was that unclear!!

My point was - they showed clips demonstrating his parents attitude to his career and gambling - BUT they didn't ask him directly whether or not, or how, that attitidue affected him if at all.

What occurred to me was that if his mother consistently expressed views in private like she did on the show that that would or could be quite a negative influence.

On the bankroll management, I didn't he covered it or appeared to be directly asked it at all - he did talk about keeping his house etc seperate but, for example, at the point where he lost on the Bayern/Chelsea game and Rugby weekend, or at the point where he was bringing 400k to Vegas, I would have thought a fair question would have been to what extent he exercised or was bothered about notions like 100 buy0in concept etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                  On the bankroll management, I didn't he covered it or appeared to be directly asked it at all - he did talk about keeping his house etc seperate but, for example, at the point where he lost on the Bayern/Chelsea game and Rugby weekend, or at the point where he was bringing 400k to Vegas, I would have thought a fair question would have been to what extent he exercised or was bothered about notions like 100 buy0in concept etc..
                  That's coward talk
                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                    Didn't realise my English was that unclear!!

My point was - they showed clips demonstrating his parents attitude to his career and gambling - BUT they didn't ask him directly whether or not, or how, that attitidue affected him if at all.

What occurred to me was that if his mother consistently expressed views in private like she did on the show that that would or could be quite a negative influence.

There are very few playing high stakes using the 100 buyin when they start. Most take shots with 15-20, I think that's ok to do if you believe in your own ability and select your tables well enough. I once followed a fish into a game where I had maybe 6 buyins but had played with everyone at a couple of levels below. That's pretty reckless though.

Comment

Lets not derail the thread. Did anyone record it last night, can anyone stick it up on youtube?

Comment

Good review of this in the Sunday Times-weekend section.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                          Keane stole the show in fairness

Comment

Really enjoyed it, great production values.

Must have been a nightmare cutting what must have been 100+hrs of footage into 52 TV mins but did feel it cut very abrubtly from end of part 2, heading off at airport to jogging in vegas with rob and saying he was down 400k for trip. Also lost a lot of impact not being allowed to shoot in rio and capture wsop buzz but that's obviously out of there control.

Don't think it needed any outside critique on Johns lifestyle choices,was near 100% told from his point of view so no need for balance.

My own favourite part was with his family at dinner and out golfing with his dad, think that was the most revealing and refreshing moment of the whole show.

Wp Gunny

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
                              Really enjoyed it, great production values.

Must have been a nightmare cutting what must have been 100+hrs of footage into 52 TV mins but did feel it cut very abrubtly from end of part 2, heading off at airport to jogging in vegas with rob and saying he was down 400k for trip. Also lost a lot of impact not being allowed to shoot in rio and capture wsop buzz but that's obviously out of there control.
                              was thinking that too, then I thought that the production may have planned to only arrive for the main event so wouldn't have had any footage for the 400k swing?

Depending how much footage they had, a 2 or 3 parter could've been good.

Also, the music at the start was also in the Social Network (was a bit off when I thought it was from Warrior!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SBNCYkSceU
                              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Ah thanks!!!...been killing me!

Comment

Repeat on Setanta

The show is on again the 15th and the 19th of April at 10 pm. Sickened I missed it, just have to wait till the 15th now I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    Ah thanks!!!...been killing me!
                                    ya was the same, knew I'd heard it somewhere before!
                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

I'd like to see this. Please pm me the link if you have it

edit: sorted, thank you
                                      Last edited by conspicuous; 06-04-13, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by conspicuous View Post
                                        I'd like to see this. Please pm me the link if you have it
                                        this please

Comment

+1

Comment

Watched it there. Superb documentary. Very well made and John comes across really well. Fair play all round.
                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

how do i get link to watch this please and thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                +1
                                                +1, can someone help out - I really want to watch this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  +1 if someone could send me a link that would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                    no one seems to ...wts ffs

Comment

anybody still need this PM me.

Comment

Also looking for help to watch this

Comment

Thanks to Midnitekowby I saw the documentary. I was on facebook and saw Fergal's post at 22:05 so just missed the first five minutes.
                                                          John O'Shea's golf driving swing is atrocious (although I didn't see where the ball went.) He swings like a baseball slugger. But his short iron swing was excellent!
                                                          He might get mugged for €10,000 outside a Boylesports but no one will ever steal that bike.

It was a very enjoyable programme. I'll watch it again if I get a chance.

Comment

https://vimeo.com/57208353 password poker

Comment

Why does A9 only have 5% against AK and why does it need to hit an ace and a 9 or two 9's in order to win?

Comment

Originally posted by JamieCarra View Post
                                                                Why does A9 only have 5% against AK and why does it need to hit an ace and a 9 or two 9's in order to win?
                                                                Ha, I assumed he meant to say 35%!

Very enjoyable documentary, good luck John in whatever you do next

Comment

lokking for a link to watch this documentry online. anyone that can help would be appreciated thx

Comment

Really interesting documentary, very well put together. I've been very interested in the idea of documentary film making since we took a masterclass in documentary in college earlier this year. I really enjoyed the choice not to have a narrator and instead allow John to talk himself and guide us through the documentary.

Very intriguing insight into how John views and copes with loses...

...also really interesting to see how atrocious his golf swing is

Comment

Originally posted by JamieCarra View Post
                                                                      dunno about that its more like 20%? I think he meant 2 nines as in a pair, one in his hand and one on the board.
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

I really enjoyed that. John is really one of a kind.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I though it was a bit dull in parts but overall not bad. The sound was not the best either.

That being said I would be gutted at the though of having to go to work after living the life he has had these last few years, i admire him for that and wished it was me.

I hear he will be on the late late next week, i hope he makes some conterversial comments with it being live. The reality is bookies wont take bets off winners and that his gambling life was not sustainable if he was a winner. In the old days small independents took bets but these large chains do not. Maybe he should mention the guy in the post office down the country who gambled 10m and now is doing 3 years jail!

The 10k bet in Boyles was all for show, they are one of the worst for standing bets.

I would be interested to know where he goes next, as most "normal" employers would not touch him. He will not struggle to live but he will struggle to get a job.

Would like to see a follow up 10 years from now.

Lets hope the Late Late green room is drank dry and he lets rip next week..................

Comment

Originally posted by Thefonze View Post
                                                                            he will struggle to get a job.

I realize making a return to the workplace after living such a lifestyle will be difficult but for every hand there's a glove! There are loads of roles out there whereby John can make a decent living by applying the same lifeskills he has used to achieve his success to date.

I'm sure someone will sort him out should he decide to return to full-time employment.
                                                                            This doc was well made an I thoroughly enjoyed it. WP to all involved.

Comment

#98
                                                                              I realize making a return to the workplace after living such a lifestyle will be difficult but for every hand there's a glove! There are loads of roles out there whereby John can make a decent living by applying the same lifeskills he has used to achieve his success to date.

Name one such job? I find this such comments are usually made by people for the sake of saying something.

Comment

#99

Name one such job? I find this such comments are usually made by people for the sake of saying something.
                                                                                Christ, it's not as if he would be like a criminal being reintroduced back into society after 30 years inside.

Comment

.
                                                                                  Well sports trader is the easy one but I'm sure I can come up wit half a dozen

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                                                                    Well sports trader is the easy one but I'm sure I can come up wit half a dozen
                                                                                    You are joking! FYI Ladbrokes just got rid of their entire team in Ireland, plus the job is mind numbing boring and badly paid.

Lets see your half a dozen.....

Comment

You are joking! FYI Ladbrokes just got rid of their entire team in Ireland, plus the job is mind numbing boring and badly paid.

This is such a bizarre comment on so many levels. It matters not where these jobs are. You asked me to name one job that may suit John. I did. List of 6 on the way. Did you think that Ladbrokes stopped trading altogether? I know of a remote trader making quite a tidy living logging in each day from Longford.

Comment

This is such a bizarre comment on so many levels. It matters not where these jobs are. You asked me to name one job that may suit John. I did. List of 6 on the way. Did you think that Ladbrokes stopped trading altogether? I know of a remote trader making quite a tidy living logging in each day from Longford.
                                                                                        Ok fair enough location irrelevant. As for ladbrokes they will not touch him for a trading role, plus the guy u know working remotely will be there til end of year. They relocated trading to uk, nor teally trading more market making off a fixed percentage profit line. Anyhow looking fwd to seeeing the list.

FYI 50 K job will bring home about 3k per month after tax, that is a mighty fall anyway u look at it.

Comment

Breaking news, Roy the Boy retired from poker last night so John could have some competition for any roles.......

Comment

Ok fair enough location irrelevant. As for ladbrokes they will not touch him for a trading role, plus the guy u know working remotely will be there til end of year. They relocated trading to uk, nor teally trading more market making off a fixed percentage profit line. Anyhow looking fwd to seeeing the list.

FYI 50 K job will bring home about 3k per month after tax, that is a mighty fall anyway u look at it.
                                                                                            OK firstly who the hell do you think you are to say Ladbrokes won't touch John for a trading post. You have no idea of their hiring process or rationale. Behind the ''Jack the lad' image is an educated guy, in a financial discipline, who doesn't piss his pants around large figures.

Secondly the remote trader I know doesn't work for Ladbrokes. Perhaps you'd like to tell me how you know he won't be in employment by the end of the year? I'm sure he'd like to know.

Finally here is the list I came up with from 10 mins digging. All roles are live at the moment:

Head of Operational Risk - €80K
                                                                                            Head of Sportsbook Acquisition - €100K
                                                                                            Senior Forex Trader €50-80K
                                                                                            Head of Poker - €75-80K
                                                                                            Gaming VIP Manager - €60K
                                                                                            Business Development Manager -€70K

Comment

never to early for popcorn imo

Comment

airport, lol

Comment

OK firstly who the hell do you think you are to say Ladbrokes won't touch John for a trading post. You have no idea of their hiring process or rationale. Behind the ''Jack the lad' image is an educated guy, in a financial discipline, who doesn't piss his pants around large figures.

Secondly the remote trader I know doesn't work for Ladbrokes. Perhaps you'd like to tell me how you know he won't be in employment by the end of the year? I'm sure he'd like to know.

Finally here is the list I came up with from 10 mins digging. All roles are live at the moment:

Head of Operational Risk - €80K
                                                                                                  Head of Sportsbook Acquisition - €100K
                                                                                                  Senior Forex Trader €50-80K
                                                                                                  Head of Poker - €75-80K
                                                                                                  Gaming VIP Manager - €60K
                                                                                                  Business Development Manager -€70K
                                                                                                  Not bad but let me say this all of the roles above require experience!

Few other comments, VIP Manager, he was a VIP so doubtful.

Business Development Manager , maybe.

I dont think he would qualify for a trading post, although i admit he was good at predicting rugby. I have contacts in the gaming industry so I know the score. I know all about his experience in work/college which is the norm these days.

I am not going to go on here, i like John , i like his bravado and carefree attitude, i admire him more that the likes of doke for his attitude to risk. I hope he does well but it will be very hard to adjust. Sitting at a desk all day working to someone elses tune is no great reward when take home pay is maxed at 5-6k per month (you would just about take that home from 100k).
                                                                                                  Anyhow as i said i hope he has some interesting comments for the late late show friday!

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                    Love it!

Comment

I dont think he would qualify for a trading post, although i admit he was good at predicting rugby. I have contacts in the gaming industry so I know the score. I know all about his experience in work/college which is the norm these days.

I am not going to go on here, i like John , i like his bravado and carefree attitude, i admire him more that the likes of doke for his attitude to risk. I hope he does well but it will be very hard to adjust. Sitting at a desk all day working to someone elses tune is no great reward when take home pay is maxed at 5-6k per month (you would just about take that home from 100k).
                                                                                                      Anyhow as i said i hope he has some interesting comments for the late late show friday!
                                                                                                      lol

Comment

lol
                                                                                                        Enjoy. Lets agree to differ, time will tell. I hope he does well.

Comment

I am not going to go on here, i like John , i like his bravado and carefree attitude, i admire him more that the likes of dokefor his attitude to risk. I hope he does well but it will be very hard to adjust. Sitting at a desk all day working to someone elses tune is no great reward when take home pay is maxed at 5-6k per month (you would just about take that home from 100k).
                                                                                                          Oh shit Doke has been mentioned!!!

FIRM ASSEMBLE!!!

Comment

If John ever did decide to return to a full-time job I would pay him to let me represent him to prospective companies.

Comment

I though it was a bit dull in parts but overall not bad. The sound was not the best either.

That being said I would be gutted at the though of having to go to work after living the life he has had these last few years, i admire him for that and wished it was me.

I hear he will be on the late late next week, i hope he makes some conterversial comments with it being live. The reality is bookies wont take bets off winners and that his gambling life was not sustainable if he was a winner. In the old days small independents took bets but these large chains do not. Maybe he should mention the guy in the post office down the country who gambled 10m and now is doing 3 years jail!

The 10k bet in Boyles was all for show, they are one of the worst for standing bets.

I would be interested to know where he goes next, as most "normal" employers would not touch him. He will not struggle to live but he will struggle to get a job.

Would like to see a follow up 10 years from now.

Lets hope the Late Late green room is drank dry and he lets rip next week..................

Enjoy. Lets agree to differ, time will tell. I hope he does well.
                                                                                                              Internet loud mouth meet:

Internet based requirement agent who spends his time headhunting people like John.

<insert appropriate stunned look, head shaking gif>

Comment

Pretty bizarre exchange tbh.
                                                                                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I wont take home a measly 6k a month working at somebody elses tune! it's their tune, not mine!!

Comment

Any luck with an online link for this?
                                                                                                                    Poker is like sex, position is everything..

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Duecewilder

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                                      Dont have setanta, have a slightly dubious form of satellite tv which doesn't have the channel so if anyone does get a link, I'd appreciate a pm
                                                                                                                      +1
                                                                                                                      I dont have sky or setanta and would very much like to see the documentary. so if anyone has a link please PM me. Thanks.

Comment

He changed the password on the documentary so people cant watch it now.

Comment

Just watched it there, pretty good doc with John coming across very well on it. Person who did the soundtrack must of been watching The Social Network the day before
                                                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X