200,000 Hands of Bankroll Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200,000 Hands of Bankroll Building

Gonna give NLHE a proper run again. Haven't really taken it seriously since 2008 when I retired after a 100,000 hand BE stretch where I was 50 something buyins below EV. Roll was >$20k back then. Those were the days, but I've since spent all that on cars and coffee makers.
    Since then I've messed around learning mixed games and playing bits and pieces here and there. I'd like to get a decent bankroll together so I can play some €500 live tourneys without taking it from life-roll, as well as live cash every now and then.
    This time around I'm aiming to play 200,000 hands in a year, well up to 30/09/2012. Not too ambitious with my volume goals as kiddo will be in the picture come December. I also won't be playing more than 4-6 tables as I feel that I maintain a good edge at this number and enjoy playing, rather than being a masstabling zombie. Bankroll requirements are fairly tight as I hopefully move up because I play pretty bad when underrolled. Ideally I'd have 50 buyins for a level, but the games on Winamax are really soft and at the micro stakes it's all about value betting the fish.
    I'll be playing 5-max exclusively on Winamax and hopefully won't withdraw at all.
    I've been faffing around at €20nl for a few months and have my roll up to €658.

Bankroll rules will be strict and as follows:

10nl: 15-30 buyins
    20nl: move up to level at 20 buy-ins, down at 15.
    30nl: move up to level at 25 buy-ins, down at 20.
    50nl: move up to level at 30 buy-ins, down at 25.
    100nl: move up to level at 35 buy-ins, down at 30.

In terms of goals, I know results based goals are stupid, but I'd be happy with running good and starting 30nl in October. Hopefully then 50nl by the New Year, allowing for a serious drop off in volume around baby-time. 100nl then by April I hope.If I run super well I might make it 5 figures by the end of the challenge, but I won't mind if I don't. It's mostly just for fun and to get a roll together as I said. If I'm only at €5k I don't mind taking out €500 to play a tourney as I'll still be at €100nl even after the withdrawal.

I'll try and update this every few days with number of hands played, bankroll, and where I stand with regard to volume target.

There's 375 days between here and the end, meaning I need to hit an average of 533 hands a day.

Good luck dude, should be an interesting read if you keep the thread going.

Comment

If indeed! I can't promise I'll try, but I'll try to try.

Comment

Decent first session. Just the one hand that had me in a tough spot. I think b/f turn, c/f river is the right line 150bb though against this guy who had quite tight stats at the time the hand went down.

***** Hand History for Game 1111111111 ***** (Winamax)
        $20.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Wednesday, September 21, 09:40:55 ET 2011
        Table BoisGuillaume (Real Money)
        Seat 4 is the button
        Seat 1: Hero ( $33.10 USD ) - VPIP: 28, PFR: 22, 3B: 6, AF: 3.1, Hands: 10111
        Seat 2: Player2 ( $31.48 USD ) - VPIP: 20, PFR: 20, 3B: 11, AF: 3.0, Hands: 46
        Seat 3: Player3 ( $20.20 USD )
        Seat 4: Player4 ( $40.55 USD )
        Seat 5: Player5 ( $7.60 USD )
        Player5 posts small blind [$0.10 USD].
        Hero posts big blind [$0.20 USD].
        Dealt to Hero [ 5c 5h ]
        ** Dealing down cards **
        Player2 raises [$0.60 USD]
        Player3 folds
        Player4 folds
        Player5 folds
        Hero calls [$0.40 USD]
        ** Dealing Flop ** [ 3s, 5s, 9h ]
        Hero checks
        Player2 bets [$1.00 USD]
        Hero raises [$3.60 USD]
        Player2 calls [$2.60 USD]
        ** Dealing Turn ** [ As ]
        Hero bets [$5.20 USD]
        Player2 calls [$5.20 USD]
        ** Dealing River ** [ Th ]
        Hero checks
        Player2 bets [$9.50 USD]
        Hero folds
        Player2 wins $27.17 USD from main pot

Attached Files

Comment

Small update as I approach the 3% complete mark. Got on pretty well to start off at 20nl and made it a bit above my requirement to move up to 30nl but no harm as I like having lots of buy-ins before playing a level. Decided to give it a run today (about hand 4700) and of course ran like crap as is unavoidable when moving up!
          Only 3 buyins below EV but it hurts more just after you move up. Got AA twice in a 1.2k hand session and got setted once and had to fold the turn the 2nd time. Games are very good.
          Average VPIP/PFR at 20nl and at 30nl (small sample) are the same at: 33/14

Progress: 5,937/200,000 (Pace: 3,731)

Bankroll: €822.01 (cashed in €20 bonus)

Attached Files

Comment

33/14? Seems a bit wild tbh. Doubt there are many winning players with such a gap between vpip and pfr. I know of none anyway. What are your wwsf, wtsd, 3b, AF? I know it's a small sample so maybe wait until you log more hands.

Comment

Originally posted by ikilldurrr1 View Post
              33/14? Seems a bit wild tbh. Doubt there are many winning players with such a gap between vpip and pfr. I know of none anyway. What are your wwsf, wtsd, 3b, AF? I know it's a small sample so maybe wait until you log more hands.
              That's the point! They're the population's stats, not mine!

My stats are: 24/20, 3b: 6%, wwsf: 47.6%, wtsd/w$sd: 29/56, agg factor: 3.1

Comment

Reading comprehension fail by me. Again.

Comment

Just passed the 10k hands mark. Going good. All about keeping the head for me.

Progress: 10,076/200,000 (Pace: 8,528)

Bankroll: €890.93

Attached Files

Comment

Best of luck with this zuutroy, funny thing is I was thinking of hitting the cash myself on winamax, a bit burnt out from mtt's tbh even though they are super soft imo, you still have to run good, if I do decide I must get your sn so I can avoid you ,

Comment

Terrible session today where everyone was hitting against me left right and centre. Just over the 15k mark and things have taken a negative turn. Obv 10 buyin downswings are to be expected but still not enjoyable. Am guilty of auto-piloting a little lately. Oh well, I'll keep at it but need to get to 50nl and 100nl asap if I'm to have a hope of hitting the 10k mark. Hard to judge anything at the 7.5% complete mark though of course!

Progress: 15,027/200,000 (Pace: 10,660)

Bankroll: €814.98 (cashed in €20 bonus)

Attached Files

Comment

Haven't forgotten about this and have been grinding away but I haven't had a chance to merge my laptop and desktop hands for a while. I'm over the 20k hand mark and the bankroll is at about €1050. Had a great comeback since the above and am close to an all time high on the graph again. Aiming for €50nl by the end of November and am just about to crack gold star on Winamax which will give be about 17% rakeback which, when combined with the softness of the games means a pretty good overall winrate.

Comment

Nice work man, keep up the good work. I'd say you will have no problem with reaching your goals especially if you keep progressing up the promotions and rakeback!
                          Just a few questions,
                          How many Buy Ins are you adhering to for each stake?
                          How many tables are you playing at a time?
                          I have heard good news about the standard being terrible on Winimax, and a somewhat supposedly decent MTT schedule would you not say that grinding the mtt's would be the way to go in reaching the 10k? I know it could be more swingy but is there not more value in mtt's these days?
                          I suppose grinding cash is less risky and provides steady income with rakeback etc?

Comment

Most of your questions are answered in the OP.

I don't really play tourneys online except the odd one for fun. I've always been a cash game player for the most part and I find 100bb+ play much more interesting than ICM/pushbot ranges type of stuff. I can't really see myself multi-tabling an MTT session for hours on end. My cash sessions are usually 1k hands which is <2 hours (though obviously more if I'm stuck!)

Comment

yea thats one thing I've always envied over cash game players, is the freedom they have with time. Hop in/out whenever you please, ov when your stuck its a whole different story!
                              also I suppose you would come across a lot more deepstack play with tricky spots which can help for all those big live tourneys these days.

I hope to be hitting the mtts pretty hard after christmas, with similar goals to yourself. I might even set up a log.
                              Anyway I'l deff be keeping up with this so gl

Comment

cash games are hard <40bb's is easy but still fun

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                  cash games are hard <15bb'ss is easy but still fun
                                  FYP

Comment

OK back in Dublin and merged my HM hands. Things going well still. Nearly got another €50 bonus cleared too which will bring me close to €1250. Gonna start at €50nl at €1500 as planned. Not too happy with volume. Wanted to be ahead of pace in the early going as I'm sure baby will get in the way somewhat. Will try and get 2/3k in over the weekend.

Progress: 22,564/200,000 (Pace: 19,721)

Bankroll: €1191.06

Aside from the challenge, my overall Winamax graph is looking pretty nice too. Still below EV though!

SPOILER
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Passed the 1/8th complete mark today. Graph still going in the right direction. Should be good to go at 50nl in a couple of weeks all going well.

Progress: 25,311/200,000 (Pace: 22,386)

Bankroll: €1304.77

Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Guest; 01-11-11, 17:23.

Comment

Just approaching the 30k mark. Ran very well the first couple of days of the month and got up to my required roll for 50nl. Won a couple of buyins my first session there, then had an atrocious day yesterday. Just the usual coolers, every cbet being called, every TT-KK having an overcard on the flop every time, and a little bit of tilt as it developed.
                                        I'm still ahead of where I thought I'd be so no harm. I think I've about 3 buyins left in my 50nl shot before I've to move down in accordance with the bankroll strategy I laid out. My winrate for the challenge so far is 4.3 ptbb/100 which I'm pretty happy with. Was a good bit higher before yesterday!

Progress: 29,368/200,000 (Pace: 24,518)

Bankroll: €1374.55 (cashed in €50 bonus)

Attached Files

Comment

[x] solid comeback!

Attached Files

Comment

Are you still playing at Winamax?

Nice comeback.

Comment

Yep...still following post one to the letter

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                Yep...still following post one to the letter
                                                Do many games run at 50nl and 100nl during the day?

Comment

It wouldn't be great tbh...games run but they're regfests.

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                    Are you still playing at Winamax?

Nice comeback.
                                                    Apologies for being stupid in advance...how do I change the winamax site to english?

Comment

Tools->Options->Language.

Comment

solid graph! gl with this
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Still running unbelievably. I've developed quite a unique style that is quite passive pre-flop as I think people play much better pre-flop than post-, so I think it's in my interest to get to the flop with a deep SPR wherever possible, while of course remaining balanced pre-flop. I tend to flat raises and 3-bets with AA and KK quite a lot and let people hang themselves. I've kind of tailored it from what Samo teaches in his videos.

Progress: 33892 (pace: 30415)

Bankroll: €2274.30

Attached Files
                                                          Last edited by Guest; 14-11-11, 19:09.

Comment

Any particular Samo vids you'd recommend Rob?

Comment

What site are Samos videos on?

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                                What site are Samos videos on?
                                                                Bluefire

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                  Any particular Samo vids you'd recommend Rob?
                                                                  His 50nl protege video series is great for low limit players, but its a little old. Giggy Visits Samo is also very good. To be honest, all of his videos are just top class and picking one at random won't steer you wrong. He's the best poker instructor out there imo, and I don't say that lightly with the likes of Foxwoodsfiend and Jman making videos! He just details every aspect of his thought process so, so well.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    His 50nl protege video series is great for low limit players, but its a little old. Giggy Visits Samo is also very good. To be honest, all of his videos are just top class and picking one at random won't steer you wrong. He's the best poker instructor out there imo, and I don't say that lightly with the likes of Foxwoodsfiend and Jman making videos! He just details every aspect of his thought process so, so well.
                                                                    Cool beans, I've actually been watching the 10NL protege vids for the last while, starting that low is perfect for me tbh.

Only thing I find is that it takes me probably 45 minutes to go through 15 minutes worth of vid at the moment because I have to take notes on everything he says! Agree with you that he's ridic good at explaining things.

Comment

What is so great about him is he goes off on tangents that are equally as important as the hand he s explaining. In other words he explains how you should think in the situation rather than only that exact hand in question, which alot of instructors are guilty off.

Comment

Sexy giraffe Zuutroph. Keep it up.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Have been on a fairly meh run since the last update. €300 below EV for the last 3k hands but I was above overall and still am by a little bit, so unfortunately I can't complain. Playing some very good stuff even though I'm running bad which I'm happy with. Hopefully I can get an up-swing going again soon and get up to 100nl and start making some proper monies. Making good decisions is fun and all, but I'd like 'em to start paying off again!

Progress: 41802 (pace: 33579)

Bankroll: €2032.19

Attached Files

Comment

Hurry up and get to some decent limits, couldn't have some 50nl pleb coaching me

Comment

#39
                                                                              Shag off!

Comment

Working...
                                                                              X