Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HectorJelly Blog Updates: Full Time Poker Player.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HectorJelly Blog Updates: Full Time Poker Player.

I think this is one of the only times I could actually call myself a full time player. Recently I have been putting in some serious volume, playing for 9 or 10 hours at a time. I haven't really being playing very well, and I've been running worse; but the volume means I've been doing ok. I'm looking forward to not running so bad, it's hard to keep motivated when every large pot ends with me having the losing hand. Still, things could be worse, much much worse. Yesterday Full Tilt made about half their staff redundant.

From what I heard the decisions were basically taken at random, with no thought or care extended to the employees well being. In the department I worked in, it was very obvious who did the most and least work (and to the quality of the work), and it seems like this wasn't a huge factor in their decision making. Also they didn't offer voluntary redundancies. Rather then let those staff leave who would choose to, they decided to swing their great big redundnancy axe willy nilly. If you were there less than 2 years then you got a handshake and a months notice. Fine for a twenty something who might jump at the chance of giving poker a chance, not so fine for a thirty something with a mortgage and kids.

It might be because I spent 5 years working for EBS, a mutually run building society (or at least it was when I was there!) but I'm always surprised when companies treat their staff badly. There are loads of ways in which Full Tilt could have made their employees quality of life better (both now and before Black Friday) without spending any money, but instead they choose to act like a poor mans Kafka bureaucracy. Consider this fact - since they lost their license they have still been expecting their staff to come in and sit at an empty desk, on Friday and Saturday nights! I was told, and wouldn't believe had I not worked there that they recently disabled the cd drives in all computers to stop their staff watching DVDs. Bare in mind that there is literally nothing to do, and the shift is ten hours long.

More...
Working...
X