Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AKo 25 50

Relevant history

The villain seems tightish, not an idiot - but not a great player.

Big hands we have played recently, fish limps on button. He raises from sb, I flat AJs on BB, fish calls. Flop is J25. He bets I call, fish folds. Turn blank, he shoves I call. He has QQ and wins.

Loads of small hands then he he raises SB against my BB. I call with J9o. The flop is TTJ, he bets I call. Turn blank, he bets I call. River blank he bets, I think and call. He has A8o

Anyway, on to the hand.

2 limpers, he raises from cutoff. I make it 5 from button, he calls. 1 Everyone else folds.

Flop is AK7, two clubs. I have the ace of clubs.

He donk bets 7. I make it 21 - he calls. I have never seen him donk before, don't really know what it means.

Turn is a club. So I have two pair, but there's a possible flush. I have the Ace of that suit, he checks, I check. Who shoves here?

River is a 7, for AK77x

There's just over 50 in the pot and a little under that in the stacks.

He checks, I?

Does anyone smooth call the donk bet?

His lead on the flop is wierd and you rarely see people lead in 3b pots so Its hard to assign a leading range here. I still raise though as Its so likely we have the best hand and want to get the money in asap.

When he checks the river I think were good here nearly always. Id expect him to shove all his flushes/7s so It seems like a trivial shove.

Comment

I raise the donk bet almsot always.
      I prob bet the turn also. He pays off a lot here. And if you still have 11 outs vrs a made flush.

As played. I think we can lead the river. Smaller aces expectign to chop with the paired board, kick kicker etc.
      I don't imagine he often checks a set/house/flush after the turn was checked back.

Comment

Think i'd play it the same and check back river now- partly for info on his donk betting range and partly because although we have the best hand a lot i don't expect to be ahead of his calling range(flushes/houses/quads/AK imo). Given that you view him as tightish I dont think he'll call river for a full buy-in with Ax to bluff catch or chop. And donking something like AJ or whatever would be kind of weird anyway

Comment

Result, I shoved on the river and he tank called with A8o. (!)

Comment

I think psycologically people hate giving up choped pots. The K77 is a great board for you to get paid off by A8 type hands, even though his BE% is v.high at c.66% for a pot bet.

Comment

Played perfectly. I like the turn check in position. We are not afraid of any river. Have to shove river, we always have the best hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                I think psycologically people hate giving up choped pots. The K77 is a great board for you to get paid off by A8 type hands, even though his BE% is v.high at c.66% for a pot bet.
                I don't think a player of this calibre is thinking about me trying to fold out a player from a chopped pot. Possibly I suppose.

Comment

HJ can you tell why your checking behind on the turn?
                  to me it looks like alot of value missed!

Comment

Because the turn completes the flush draw which is in both of our ranges. Also there is less than a pot bet left to go in, there's no need to build the pot.

Comment

so you only ever bet a flush there or air?

Comment

@Gholimoli Extracting value is obviously our prime concern with a hand as strong as 2P, but simply extracting value street by street, though +EV, may not be optimal in certain situations according to opponents tendencies/runout/texture/stacks/diminishing hand strength/etc. Adjusting your intended line based on these factors is pretty important. We dont get to the turn with a very wide range so betting just looks super strong and loses value from everything, checking back makes sense. Attempting to balance an already thin range in such a specific spot is pointless
                        "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
                          so you only ever bet a flush there or air?
                          I don't think I would bet air there, maybe semi bluff the Kc. I wouldn't necessarily bet a flush either.

It keeps coming up in threads where people are trying to find out if I, or the OP, have a balanced range. The only time I try to even pretend I have a balanced range is against good regular opponents in common spots.

Comment

Working...
                          X